A True Detective Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on HBO

True Detective S01E07: "After You've Gone"

I hope you didn't come here looking for details on Toby Boulaire or Robert Dumaine or Jimmy Ledoux or some of the other awesome Cajun names I misspelled that sprung up in "After You've Gone," because frankly, I'm a little bogged down by the details that True Detective is throwing our way as the case and season come to a close. "After You've Gone" was a dense episode of details–or maybe it wasn't dense and showed off the rigamarole of hoop jumping that a true detective must deal with–that changed the way we think about True Detective once again. Unfortunately, I'm not sure it changed it in a way I liked as much as the rest of the series.

Time in True Detective is (mostly) no longer a flat circle repeating itself now that Hart and Cohle are done telling Detectives Gilbough and Papania what happened in the years 1995 and 2002, and also now that 2012 is no longer an end point, but a starting point to this final act. Whereas the first six episodes focused mostly on the past, "After You've Gone" was more concerned with the now as Cohle and Hart continued what they left unfinished years ago. It turned True Detective into more of a straightforward cold-case cop show rather than the time-jumping, mind-crunching, truth-bending razzle dazzle that peaked and knocked the wind out of me in "The Secret Fate of All Life." 

From the beginning, I've always been more interested in the characters of Hart and Cohle and the structure of True Detective, with the actual Whodunnit of the case a distant third. That's probably why I liked the last episode, the relationship-heavy and case-light "Haunted Houses," more than others did, and probably why I liked "After You've Gone" less. And let me be clear here, I'm comparing True Detective–a front-runner for Best Show of the Year at Tim's TV.com Awards that I hold annually with my collection of dolls–to itself, so a not-as-good episode of True Detective is still an enthralling hour. 

But hey, we're closer than ever to catching that rascally murderer, right?! Fat Hart and Ponytail Cohle swept their differences aside after 10 years apart and got right back to crackin' cases without the impedance of annoying things like badges and legalities. Their reunion was also a bit more anticlimactic than I thought it would be. Though it had been 10 years, it was just a few minutes of screentime since they were beating the snot out of each other in that parking lot last week. From our perspective, I expected a bit more resistance from Hart, but all Cohle had to tell him was that he had a debt. True Detective had always found cool ways to show us flashbacks and how they affected the present for a fun way to unspool its narrative, but I guess that fight and their falling out is a real thing of the past, because these two got along swimmingly in "After You've Gone."

Turns out Cohle had been living in that mysterious storage shed (classic Cohle move) for a while now and doing some cat burglarizing of Tuttle's empire. And in a safe he found a video of some freaks in animals masks performing some unspeakable (and unseen) atrocities to a young Marie Fontenot, one of the many missing girls Hart and Cohle have been investigating. Was it just abuse? Was it ritual sacrifice? We only had Hart's reaction and the worst of our imagination to go on, but it all meant the same thing: BIlly Lee Tuttle was heavily involved in the murders of these girls. And from the looks of it, he was just part of a creepy cult of old, white rich men who have been getting away with horrors like this for a long time. I don't think this was too far off from most of our thinking about who was behind the murders, but we still have a finale to go, and anything can happen in a show like this.

More investigating got them more details on the Tuttle empire–the illegitimate grandchildren, the coverups in investigations, and more wide-eyed Carcosa mumbo-jumbo–and this man with the scarred face, our mysterious Spaghetti Monster. And just to F with us, in the final scene Gilbough and Papania were looking for one of Tuttle's old churches and asked direction from a man riding a mower (the same guy Cohle talked to in 1995 outside the school?), who I suspect was the illegitimate grandson of Sam Tuttle, Billy Lee's father, from the Childress side of the family. And that man's face was definitely scarred (though to what extent was tough due to the poor quality of the screener I watched; I'll have to watch the broadcast version to be sure). 

"After You've Gone" was the most straightforward episode of the season, missing most of the chronological trickery that brought the series to another level in the previous six episodes. And for a penultimate episode of a season, I was expecting some more of that magic. But it was still loaded with True Detective's excellent Southern Gothic neo-noir detective work, incredible performances from its leads, Nic Pizzolatto's crackling dialogue, and director Cary Fukunaga's sharp eye.

CASE NOTES

– Watching Hart talk to Maggie in 2012 apparently was just as uncomfortable for us as it was for him. He couldn't even look at her while he was talking. Also, UGH, he never sees his daughters? What terrible fallout for that broken marriage.

– Marty Hart on Match.com. Now that's a profile I'd like to see. "40+ male seeking woman 18-23 for handcuff fun." 

– Hart: "I don't think I've ever been clear, Rust. If you were drowning, I'd throw you a barbell."

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 8/9/2015

Season 2 : Episode 8

151 Comments
Comments (151)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Having done a quick review of episode 2 again there is a scene that could be easily missed where Hart is walking to his daughters room and you can hear them (barely) talking about someone (I presume a child) not having a mommy and daddy with the rest (other children/parents?) being killed in a car accident.
The scene then ends with Hart seeing the dolls posed (pictured) in a way not to dissimilar to the VHS footage Cohle showed to Hart of the girl being raped the previous episode.

Flag
The microwave scene was so revolting...
Flag
who would have thought our beloved Rust Cohle character would sincerely thank god in his oscar speech? You could immediately hear the applause fading as soon as he dropped the g-word and I guess people were kinda shocked (same here btw).
I didn't take him for that kind of guy but then again he's a native texan and only playing a role in true detective (very convincingly so).
I don't want to get into any religious debate - just saying that his choice of words came as a big surprise to me. Anyone else feeling the same way?
Flag
Yep! Feeling the same way
Flag
Never saw the Oscars but it certainly strikes me as strange he said it, especially given the last movie I saw of his involved his character coercing Gina Gershon to suck on a Kentucky Fried drumstick he held at his crotch, that's Hollywood I guess, always surprising but never as much as the reality.
Flag
The bar has been set so high with every preceding episode that this episode felt a slight dampener , but again this episode was all about the investigation and about the "true" detectives.
The final act will be epic!!!
Flag
Loved the final scene, the scarred face guy on the mower spiralling in narrowing circles.
Flag
I think we are dealing with 2 things here.

1. We have a large paedophile network/cult that's been conducting ritualistic child abuse for decades. A large group with prominent members of society, like Tuttle, being part of it.

2. We have a few former victims of the abuse who were so warped by the experience that they start doing it themselves, and one who takes it even further with ritualistic murders our serial-killer. Probably the lawnmower-man.
Flag
Lawn mower guy didn't have scars.
Flag
look again. and i dont mean look at that little ass photo again. acne scars are clearly visible in hd.
Flag
You're right, I just realised. He has acne scars which are visible only from the side, and are present only on the side of his face. Its not on his chin however, which is where I presume everyone is looking.
Flag
people are dismissing the 'chin' thing by pointing out the fact that witnesses were drugged. I think he may have been wearing a mask too. not sure about that, but the promo for the final episode looks pretty damn good.
Flag
The lawn mower guy couldn't have been the guy they're after. He had no scars?
Flag
same actor: glen fleshler aka ''george remus'' of ''boardwalk empire.'' same character ''eroll'' in both episodes, bearded and shaven, w/acne scars intact.
Flag
This was a fantastic episode, and we are heading toward a great climax I think. One thing you don't mention here, but I see is mentioned in the comments below: The checkovs gun of Audrey. She was undoubtedly involved in the cult somehow, most likely forced to watch by her father in law whom I suspect was involved. My friend and I have become obsessive about this show, and as she is hypervigilant, we started a blog to catalog and discuss our findings: A Guy, A Girl and Cthulhu. http://crazytruedetectivetheories.wordpress.com/ Anyone obsessed with the level of detail in this show is encouraged to drop by.
Flag
A bit of intertexuality at work,?
The bent cop is currently sheriff of Iberia parish- Dave Robicheaux's stompin' ground in the James Lee Burke Louisiana novels.
Now there's a character who needs done properly- and no, Alec Baldwin, you can just stay retired thanks..."Heaven's Prisoners"- bleurrgh
Flag
another great episode I cant wait for the next, and also I swear I called it on the guy riding the lawn mower, when I first seen that older episode of that guy mowing the grass at the school I couldnt stop thinking that he was a huge part of it and just right under their noses, I think its the only thing I have kinda predicted in this great show lol.
Flag
Well I have no clue who the Yellow King is, if Maggie and her father are involved, or if the lawnmower man is actually the scarman... but I can tell you I am intensely awaiting the finale.
Flag
No doubts Hart's daughter is mixed up in this in someway given her story arc has included drawings of sexual images, posing of dolls in sexual positions and engaging in underage sex with two older boys.

She has either been molested or witness to such events at a young age IMO.

Interestingly the scarred man mentions to the two black detectives that he has a contract to maintain school lawns.

Connection?

P.S-What do we know about the father of Hart's former wife?

Any connections to the governor?

I can't recall but were the adult victims at the start of the series all brunette?

Could he provide the shocking twist to the story?
Flag
Maggie and her dad are in the "sprawl" that Cohle has discovered. Cohle told his boss the bar owner who's son went missing back in 85 that Marty's ex in-laws are in the "sprawl" that is why the bar owner gave Marty the stink eye when he came to see Cohle. Also in the preview looks like the bar owner is the one with the rifle and the cross hairs fixed on the sheriff's head. Man I can't wait for Sunday.
Flag
How bout that Texas Chainsaw Massacre style ending?
"My family's been here a looooooooong time"

Anyway, after reading some recent articles, I think that True Detective used the backstory of The Yellow King to send it's viewers into the same sort of downward spiral of madness as the readers of the play fell into. In believing that there was mystery we searched and plotted into internet madness, going down our own rabbithole. In the end, this story isn't going to trick us. It's isn't about hidden clues, but the lives of the two detectives and their relationship to each other.

They both may actually live to see another day.

Flag
Cohle didnt simply throw out the debt comment and Marty easily accepted it... Cohle's reading him and forcing Marty to be consistent in his self-righteous character - i.e. belief in family (he says often); community (says at the church); defends religion often; complains of Cohle shitting on decency; argued over the underage Beth at the ranch before giving her cash to "get out"; Marty quickly tempers in defence of social and ideological institutions often and Cohle knows it... so he put Marty in the position of being a hypocrite and ignoring his duty/beliefs. Thats why Marty "accepts" the debt (after the usual need to make things simple/clear for him to see whats under his nose)
Flag
Yes the guy in the lawn mower appears is ep 3 around minute 52. But the scar is covered with a beard.
Flag
Just went back and watched it too. I think they deliberately only showed him from the left side, and not the right side where the scar is.
Flag
It's time for the audience to live in the present with Cohle and Hart. If there is anything more in past this wasn't the episode to show it. This needed to concentrate on the relationship between our two guys. They have to be united to find the truth. Cause the truth is going to hurt and come at a big price.
I'm liking the new stuff about Maggie being involved however does it have to be someone shocking? Does everything have to have a twist? I've definitely enjoyed this journey no matter what the answer is.
Flag
"40+ male seeking woman 18-23 for handcuff fun."

Well, judging by the fact that Marty was scared about pushing 40 back in 1995, I'm pretty sure that "today's" Marty is well in his late 50s....
Flag
Meh. Didn't love it, but whatever, I just took it as a setup to next week's (hopefully awesome) finale.
Flag
Gotta agree with Surette here - although it was a very good episode, "After You've Gone" was my least favorite of True Detective. Not gonna lie, I was mentally drained by all the details thrown at us throughout the proceeding. It probably needed to be done this way, but man was it boring.

Meanwhile, I loved the interaction between Hart and Cohle throughout the episode; I totally can understand them getting back at it after their brawl - a decade will put what was once a very volatile relationship into perspective. I'm pretty sure Marty stop being pissed at Rust about the Maggie thing when he accepted he was the main cause of the whole mess. Plus, they do have unfinished business to deal with, so them teaming up make sense. Rust still being pissed at Maggie also make complete sense to me - I cannot imagine any guy being cool about essentially being used like that by someone he considered a friend solely because she wanted a sure-fire way out of her marriage.

Anyway, the sheriff kidnapping at the end kinda shows that those two ex-cops are going back in this case for broke, with nothing to lose... which doesn't bode well with either of them surviving the last episode. Not only do they need to catch Scarface/Lawnmower Man, but they also have to somehow use him to bring down the whole Tuttle empire, to make sure the killings really stop and nobody goes after them when afterwards. Don't know how they'll manage to pull this of; expecting to witness a lot of bloodshed while they're trying. This is not going to be a remotely pleasant episode.
More+
Flag
This was my least favorite episode. It was necessary for episode one to be kind of boring to give a bit of backstory, but to have this flat and uneventful episode after ''clash of the detectives'', ''death of ledoux'', and ''mogadishu'' was really just kind of a let down. I expected the pitch to keep building toward the climax.
Flag
Has everyone forgotten the mythology of the King in Yellow? Someone's going mad, people. Either Cohle or Hart. Whether that results from knowing Hart's kids are involved or someone else's, at least one of our True Detectives is going to "drop his basket."
Flag
Loved the episode! cant wait for the next one! This week is going to be a very long one!!!
Flag
Oh hey lawnmower man. Nice to see you again without your beard.

That was a pretty good reveal. He obviously is involved but I doubt he is the Yellow King. He is connected to his family as he stated that they have been there for a long time. And so has a lot of families. My guess it is 5 families. Three that I believe we know. Tuttle, Childers and whatever Maggie's father's last name is. Because if we are to go by what we learned from the reveal of the scar faced man in that people in the beginning that were given a small amount of time on screen are coming back in a big way. And we only saw Maggie's father for a very brief time. If this is consistent, I believe we are going to see him again.

And it makes a bit of sense, it makes sense with Hart's daughter and her drawings and her posing of her dolls. It makes sense with her acting out sexually when she came of age. And it explains Maggie herself.

Maggie has a nice house. No mention of a second husband. And when she talked to Hart she had some fairly indirect and slightly pointed questions about the case. When she went to see Cohle, she also kind of indirectly mentioned the case. I don't for a minute think she is concerned for Hart, she hadn't seen him in two years as she stated. I think she was trying to figure out what they were up to. And Cohle might suspect her.

He dismissed her rather quickly and didn't answer anything. And keeping with his habit of keeping stuff close to the vest I think he is keeping in from Hart. I think if he mentioned it to Hart, Hart would either dismiss it or become too obsessed with it. And it would cost the case.

Either way this episode was fantastic and I can't wait for the finale.

Thanks again Sam20 for the introduction to this show.
More+
Flag
Good job catching Maggie fishing for details about the case - completely missed that one.
Flag
Also, If you guys didn't notice, she exited the car on the right side. Means somebody was driving it for her. Husband? Her Father?
Flag
I believe she drove. It showed her coming out of her vehicle through the reflection of the mirror.
Flag
You might be write. I was so enthralled with the story that I might've picked that detail wrong.
Flag
I, unfortunately, find this show somewhat pretentious. I simply don't see what the majority of others do and it's a shame.
I plan on trying to marathon it when it finishes the season and I hope it peaks my interest.
Flag
After watching this episode I realized it would have been better if I had just waited for all 8 episode to air and then watched them all at once. Because seriously lot of minor details which were discussed in this very episode had escaped from my mind which made lot of things quite hard to connect. For now only thing I could do is watch all 7 episodes in one go just before the finale.
Flag
re-watch one a day til the finale - or did you delete them off your dvr already? that's what i'm gonna do.
Flag
good plan stan
Flag
At least now we know for sure that Cohle is not the killer, neither is Hart.
Flag
Love that this show is playing with everyone's expectations so much. People thought that Rust was the killer for awhile, then they were certain that Maggie was in on it, then the theories started revolving around Harte's daughters and father-in-law. At this point, I think it's fair to say that none of us know what's gonna happen in this final episode, and that fact makes me love this show even more.

Usually, I find myself not liking shows like this that everyone else loves to death, but I just can't ignore the awesomeness of True Detective. This show has been a home run from the first minute, and it looks like that will continue through the last one.
Flag
I'm with you, Tim. I love True Detective, and this was a fantastic episode (as usual) but not my favorite of the series. The switch from reliving the past, to going forward with the case was detail heavy, so perhaps it was just a bit too much for one episode. Still, it was a good way to remind all of us who the suspects are, and what the evidence is, while letting us know what Rust has been up to.

I was sure that Marty's oldest daughter was somehow involved, but now I'm thinking maybe not. I thought the video Rust showed Marty was going to have her in it, but I was wrong, obviously. It could still turn out that she's seen something terrible, I suppose.

The scene where Marty went to see Maggie was sad. She realized that Marty was saying goodbye... Marty knows he and Rust might not live through this.
Flag
Two great articles that explain how we were conditioned to seek out TV that mind f*&% us, but this type of TV lies to us and ultimately is not very good television in the end i.e. Lost...

http://observationdeck.io9.com/true-detective-wont-have-a-huge-shyamalan-twist-and-he-1535047669

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/03/02/how-true-detective-will-end-what-we-know-up-to-episode-7-after-you-ve-gone.html

Flag
i liked LOST... sure some people might not have liked the ending - but that doesn't take change the fact that from seasons 2-5 it was a stellar show. seasons 1 and 6 were pretty good too.
Flag
Season 1 was the best of the series. Season 3 was good as well. 4-6 were pretty meh in a lot of ways but still overall LOST was a good show. Tough to make "Art" on network TV when bottom lines are top priorities
Flag
Definitely a change of pace but still a fast moving hour. I still think Marty's kids are involved in the abuse somehow but that Cohle didn't feed all the intel he had on Tuttle just yet. I also won't doubt if Cohle was behind Tuttle's death to begin with. Think they've set the stage nicely for the final episode and I expect they're be a lot of fireworks to come.
Congrats Matt on the Oscar, might just be an Emmy coming your way soon as well!
Flag
"The World needs bad men Marty"-Rust

This is why I think both don't make it out a live and either get framed by the Tuttles for the murders or die in a blaze of glory shootout...either way sooooo excited for the finale!!

Flag
Rust is likely going to die. He's a nihilist and places little value on a joyless life. He just wants to finish what he started. He said something in this episode that let us know he sees no other reason to live.
Flag
Marty: "Why'd you, why'd you come back?" Rust: "This. Something I had to see too.. before getting on with something else. My life's been a circle of violence and degradation long as I can remember. I'm ready to tie it off."

This and Marty's goodbye to Maggie hint to the 'nothing to lose' path our guys are walking. I still don't think they have to die, though. It's more as if they are ready to do anything, to risk everything, just to get the truth out without holding themselves back, without being afraid of losing something, their lives, loved ones (they don't have any), etc.

Remember the quote: “Touch darkness and darkness touches you back.”? Trying to solve this evil puzzle so badly in the end might consume them. Marty's the one who doesn't know his inner darkness, Cohle's a friend with his. What connyisraelso said.
Flag
I don't think Marty will die. I'm pretty sure Rust will.
Flag
Glad to see more people whining and damning the show for having become a linear story.They built a dense world with multiple points in time to tell us a story, but the ending has to be linear, it has to be in the now. It was always going to be that way, and I really don't understand why everyone's crying afoul about it. I think people are upset because they enjoyed the novelty and now it makes them feel smart to pick on the show for becoming "traditional." Because they missed the entire point in the first place...
Flag
i feel the same way. what were they supposed to do - wait til the final ep to get to the present storyline? this ep did just what it needed to - and accomplished it perfectly.
Flag
dito dito dito, I for one have no complaints and I am excited with side of terrified for the finale. I have to wait until it comes out on hbogo!!! agrh
Flag
Is it just me or Rust didn't have a mustach when he talked to Johnie Joanie?

I think all it took was "You have a debt" because the case was secretly eating at Marty anyway.

Also, Maggie forgave Marty, but Rust never forgave Maggie.

I'd love it if they never apprehended the killer but we, as viewers, know that Gilbough and Papania came THAT close.
Flag
It took "You have a debt" to get Hart to look at the evidence. It took the videotape to get him on board.
Flag
It took "You have a debt" to get him involved. It all went from there.
Flag
When Rust talked to Johnie that was in 2010, not present day.
Flag
Yes, I was referring to the stylistic development of Rust, I wasn't pointing out a goof.
Flag
It was definitely a change in terms of how it was done, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. I have to admit, though, I have a hard time seeing it going back to the way it was now that we are indeed in a 'straight line' in terms of story (minus a few flash-backs). Still, I found it pretty gripping.
Flag
So after seeing this episode I think I finally figured out how it's gonna go down. Sorry this post is going to be a bit longer but bear with me and I'll explain why I think the pieces are finally coming together.

First off Tim's comment 'a not-as-good episode of True Detective is still an enthralling hour' has my full support. This episode was about Marty & Rust putting their differences aside for the greater good and to close in on the cult. I'd say this episode was a real treat to watch since the interaction between Marty & Rust is the main focus (and main enjoyment) of the show.

The lawn-mower man (a victim himself a long time ago) is probably acting out his suppressed childhood anger on the newcomer children. Physically & psychologically marked for live (and due to that probably unpopular among the local females) could explain why he's also described as the most cruel of the bunch.

The sheriff is obviously knee-deep in the cover-up. Last time we seen him he was a drunk underachiever, a nobody who couldn't go up the career ladder even if he tried.
To campaign for sheriff in the south you need money (at least a hundred grand from what I heard) so you need supporters with big money to become sheriff in the first place. The sheriff driving a super-expensive Maserati is just the icing on the cake to portrait him as a corrupt individual who's on the receiving end. So I'd say go Cohle and see how much voltage these jumper cables can handle.

But most importantly I believe that Cohle lied to Marty about Tuddles death. I don't buy into the theory that Tuddle was killed by his associates after essential evidence was stolen from his property.
And come on, a few pictures and a single video tape is all Rust finds in Tuddles safe after decades of abuse & murder. I'm suspecting that Rust didn't show Marty all the evidence (especially involving Martys kids) to keep Marty function normally since Cohle needs him and his contacts inside the PD to successfully wrap up this case.
Cohle has already seen how Marty looses it when confronted with these things live on scene (hint: headshot). So he might be saving that piece of information for the final confrontation with the bad guys.

I think Cohle already has a plan for the final showdown and wants Marty to pull the trigger on all the bad guys in the final confrontation (think of it as a retribution gift). He knows Marty will break down if he finds out that his own kids are involved and for him to carry out the execution could provide the only way out for Marty to one day close that dark chapter and carry on with his live (something that Cohle is unable to do with his own past).

That's also why Cohle is going to take the blame for the executions on himself. Cohle has nothing to loose and still carries the burden of letting his partner down with Maggie, so this seems to be an elegant way out, save his partners live and close the chapter on himself once and for all. Maybe he planned it all along and placed himself in the focus of the current investigation from the start.

We know Cohle is welcoming death since according to his mythology he finally tied all loose ends and can rest in peace without being reborn again and again. So he's either going to kill himself or pulling a gun on the black detectives (who are now close behind) to get shot on scene to further strengthen the theory that it was all on him.

Either way - this is going to be a very long week.
More+
Flag
I thought about this bit as well: perhaps there's more evidence involving Marty's daughter. And we all know Marty's reactions to such cruelties - it's been specifically shown to us quite a few times.

Maybe Marty's the one who's gonna be touched and transformed by the darkness. This time very seriously, perhaps even permanently.
Flag
When Rust was talking to Gilbough and Papania he wasn't talking about rebirth but the M-theory.
Flag
Thanks for the insight! I was under the impression Cohle just mixed up basic quantum physics with a little buddhism to make up his own world view but if you can pinpoint it on M-theory I happily stand corrected.
Flag
Totally on the other side of things here Tim. Stopped reading your review after the first paragraph. Last week was my least favourite episode, this week was pretty damn great if you ask me. And very deserving of the show's title. And i didn't miss the flashbacks at all.

Somehow i can't picture all of this wrapping up in one episode...I think we're in for a treat! Can't wait...
Flag
I don't fee this episode reached the heights of all the others to be honest.
Flag
I wanna see the interrogation of the sherrif on the boat and what the get out of him :D

It is almost funny to watch how much Cohle and Hart are on the same page now. Kidnapping a sherrif, breaking and entering, torture - everything goes. One more "true detective" aspect in the truest sense of the word. I imagine that if you hit a wall like they did and especially if the case is about children, it is very hard to resist going down that route and playing the game at the same level as the "bad guys".

However the finale turns out, TD has been one of THE most amazing series ever.
Flag
I loved the episode precisely because there was no showdown between 2012 Rust & Cohle. I loved that their animosity didn't get too drawn out and that they realised that they need to finish this together.
Flag
And the video Cohle stole didn't only prove to us that something bigger that involved the Tuttles was going on, but it also convinced Hart in an instant that they missed something back in '95 and that he is obligated to help Cohle - not only because of a debt, but because it is the right thing to do.
Flag
I think Hart's reaction was also him putting a lot together about the truth of what happened to his own daughter. I can only assume that Cohles daughter was also a victim
Flag
Absolutely. I think that the "true" in detective will be Hart & Cohle's selflessness.
Flag
Oh and I think we're in for one crazy ride next week. I don't think either detectives (Rust and Cohle) come out of this thing alive. And I think they know it.
Flag
Considering there is only one episode left, anyone else worried that this isn't gonna wrap up nicely with Cohle and Hart taking down the entire network of bad guys?
These people are way too powerful and insulated for Cohle and Hart to manage alone. And the way Hart was talking to Maggie it seemed like he knew he was getting into something he wasn't going to make it out from.
Also, one of the officers who were investigating the guy who robbed the pharmacy was named Childress. Does anyone else recall this too?
Flag
Watching present time Cohle and Hart working together was a real treat full of superb dialogue.
Flag
I'm beginning to think the case will not be solved by Marty and Rust. They might get killed. The 2 black detectives will take over the case after they realize Rust was not the killer and they find his storage unit of clues. They are the BLACK STARS rising!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Flag
I think that Cohle is on suicide mission and I'm almost certain he'll die.
Flag
I agree. I think that is what he meant when he told Hart he had to finish this case bevore he could do something else.

The case has become his purpose in life and for living.
Flag
Different, yes, but equally amazing as the previous ones.

In the end Marty fought so hard but he has been just like Rust all along, the only difference is that Rust has known who he is and what he wants since his daughter's death, while I think Marty's still dealing with his real nature.

But look at them, living more or less the same life and now investigating again.

I see poetry and closure and I'm already mourning the end of the show.

Such a mervelous piece of work, no matter what.
Flag
First, the Lawnmower Man is the same guy seen in Episode 3, and yes, he had a beard then. The conversation he had with Cohle back then was almost identical to the one he had with Gilbough and Papania at the end of this episode - more flat circle s#!t? He did mention his family had been here for a very long time.

Second, with only one episode left, this one felt a little light on Earth shaking revelations. They've got a lot of ground to cover in the next hour if they want to give this show the kind of conclusion it's earned, based on what we've seen so far. What will they learn interrogating Sheriff Geraci? Who else is involved in the good ole' boy "Bohemian Club"? How high up does the conspiracy/cover up go? Who is the Yellow King, and do they know they're re-enacting a bunch of literary references? And if they don't find a way to work Hart's daughter into the whole mystery by the end, I for one am going to be very disappointed.

Flag
Haven't seen the episode 7 yet, but all the references to Lawnmower man make me remember Marty's bitter and angry response to Cohle after the latter has mowed his lawn for him: "I- mow- my -own-lawn!" I have to laugh for some reason. How could it have any bearing? And yet.......
Flag
Excited for the finale, and I agree this episode seemed a bit different than previous ones without the flashbacks, but I like the shift. I still get a weird smile whenever they mention the King in Yellow or Carcosa since both come from the brilliant HP Lovecraft.
Flag
Close but incorrect, HP Lovecraft loved the source material and borrowed some parts of it but The King in Yellow is a book of short stories by American writer Robert W Chambers.

good read on it here on wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_King_in_Yellow
Flag
http://io9.com/the-one-literary-reference-you-must-know-to-appreciate-1523076497
Flag
I stand corrected. Fascinating. I may have to read some of Robert W Chambers stuff now. I love HP Lovecraft, so it stands to reason I'd enjoy Robert's work.
Flag
I know it's way off topic for this show's discussion but a Lovecraft fan such as yourself will no doubt enjoy this. :-D
Flag
nice - theonion rules
Flag
you think the guy riding the lawn mower had scars and was the same guy Rust talked to outside the school~you really think Rust would forget about the scars? Those two "theories" don't go together imo but I may be wrong.
Flag
Same guy, he did have a beard in 95 and I believe he talked to Cohle with his left side of his face showing to Cohle. Plus at that point in time I don't believe Cohle knew about the man with the scars on his face.
Flag
They can be the same guy but I doubt Rust would forget the scars. I realize he just saw a guy with a beard but it must not be that bad of scarring (or it's a real bushy beard) to hide the scarred regions where hair doesn't grow. I thought the scars would be really noticeable given how the other people described the scarring. In Rolamb's photo below, I still don't see the scars. Just looks like stubble. That's what I get for watching it on my laptop.
Flag
To be honest, I truly would be disappointed as the scarring on his face is not like (as bad as) the descriptions others gave off him.

Flag
not nearly as bad. most people would say this guy has an acne problem.
Flag
Well most of those that saw him, saw him as children likely drugged and they have been repressing this for years.
Flag
i don't see any nasty scars
Flag
Actually this dude must be someone important because he's spent years making flat circles on his lawnmower. That's the same Actor who played George Remus on Boardwalk Empire. He's credited as "Eroll" on IMDB. I think he's Eroll Tuttle, Though I don't remember hearing that name on the show. He's only said to appear in parts 3, 7, and 8. Now why bring back such an insignificant character for the final episode, unless he's The Yellow King or someone close?
Flag
relative--maybe he kidnaps the kids/woman for The Yellow King.
Flag
I think this guy is just supposed to be a relative, not ''the guy with the scars'' we have heard about. He seemed to be sending the detectives into a death trap.
Flag
Wrong you likely are when you take in the fact that Episode 3's lawnmower guy and tonight's lawnmower guy are both played by the same actor.
Flag
They can be the same guy but I still don't see scars~even in Rolamb's picture above.
Flag
The excuse going around is that the lawn mower man had a beard in 95, so the scars were covered.
Flag
I guess we can live with that explanation but in real life if your face is that scared and burned there should be hardly any facial hair growing in that area.
Flag
You're right, absolutely my thinking.
Flag
That's what I was thinking. I thought he would be noticeably scarred. That guy in the photo above just looks like he has stubble.
Flag
Agree the show felt a lot different without the flashbacks, and more like a standard detective show, though still very entertaining. As some people predicted, it seems the lawnmower might be The Yellow King, the man Cohle and Hart have been looking for all along. Didn't like how they used Maggie this episode. She was basically walking around being hated upon by everyone, which I thought was pretty pointless. Some people may not like Maggie for sleeping with Cohle just to hurt Marty, but all the characters have done some equally messed up things. Excited for next week, I have high, high expectations and I expect a few twists, not just the lawnmower guy getting arrested and calling it a day.
Flag
I enjoyed it though I agree that without the past is contemporaneous with the present trickery, it was more difficult to maintain dramatic tension, but we were always gonna get to that point. Consider it a bit like one of those old slot racing sets that had a figure eight track to make sure both players have equal distance to cover. We have just been over the bridge designed to keep everything square, had to happen.

The final episode is likely to include some flashbacks because I still reckon there are going to be revelations about the Hart family back in 95 and earlier.
If so there will be flashbacks to illustrate what happened to Hart's daughters way back when.

One line like stuck like undercooked pasta to my kitchen ceiling when Marty visited Maggie.
"Audrey is good except when she goes off her meds" was how I remembered it.
All isn't well with the girl. Maybe Maggie did visit Ruste just to find out whether Marty was in danger but I reckon she had another agenda.

Maybe I just hope so because if the final is simply just a bird's eye view of a complex procedural investigation resulting in the arrest of a cemetary gardener and maybe a couple of medium sized fish from a very small pond, we have been deluding ourselves that a typical hollywood sausage factory product was Art with a capital A.
More+
Flag
With all the imagery that gives cause to believe Audrey was somehow affected it would be a let down if there was nothing to that. I really think Cohle already knows this but kept that info from Marty. The level of writing to date gives no reason to believe this is anything remotely Hollywood sausage factory.
Flag
Yeah, I am defenitly waiting for some sort of reveal on the Hart-daughter.
Flag
i loved it just as much as the other eps - excellent as usual - can't wait to see how it plays out next week - i only wish there were more than just one more to go! 9.5/10
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:00 pm
    America's Got Talent Live Show 3
    NEW
    NBC
  •  
    Bachelor in Paradise
    NEW
    ABC