A True Detective Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on HBO

True Detective S01E06: "Haunted Houses"

Ha, these two guys. So great. The above two images just about sum up "Haunted Houses," an episode that was light on all the heavy case work that Hart and Cohle have been doing, and heavy on all the interpersonal drama that Hart and Cohle have been brewing. And you know what? I think it came at a good time, because I lost about 15 years of my life between watching the last two intense and dark episodes, so "Haunted House" gave us some time to catch our breath and served as the beginning of the season's final act. 

But True Detective's idea of cooling it was infidelity, trust issues erupting into revenge sex, convincing someone to kill themself, and a brutal fistfight in a parking lot. "Haunted Houses" may not have had the twists that would snap "The Secret Fate of All Life" into pieces or the visceral grit that would break "Who Goes There?" into a nightmarish sweat, but it featured the defining moment of Hart and Cohle's relationship and the awesome (SO awesome!) possibility that their relationship isn't as over as we all thought. 

I have the following written in my notes of the episode: "Maybe Cohle is the Devil." And I mean that in the nicest and least literal way possible. I typed that out right after Cohle uttered my favorite line of his so far in the series, which is saying a lot, and the one that shook my bones. While talking to Charmaine Budroux (spelling?), a woman in police custody for the mysterious death of her third child, Cohle reached down into her throat and pulled a confession out of her. Munchausen by proxy, he said, and got her to confess to the murder of her child using that soothing voice that told her everything would be alright. His job as the box man done, he got serious and gave her personal advice. "The newspapers are going to be tough on you," he admitted to her. "And prison is very, very hard on people who hurt kids." And without a skipping a beat and in the most sincere way, he said, "If you get the opportunity, you should kill yourself." Oof. And then he walked out the door. 

Cohle loves to ramble on about time being a flat circle, with all of our multiple lives doomed to repeat our actions, especially the bad ones. But maybe, as we've seen in Hart, repetition is not limited to these different planes of existence, and a bad man once in this lifetime will be a bad man forever in this lifetime. Hart was beating up young men who encroached on his territory and he strayed from his marriage with another young woman again. And after finishing the physical treason of Maggie with Beth–who I believe was the same underage young girl he tried to save seven years ago at the prostitution ranch–he peered over to see three figurines: a crystal see-through angel, a cartoonish devil, and the other half of the set in a cartoonish angel. But the way the camera lingers on them, it's the devil that stands out as it's the only one in clear focus. Cohle might not be the Devil, but he could be in cahoots with him.

Finding proof of Hart's infidelity with some new hot young ass (What is it with Hart and these young women? What do they see in him?), Maggie tried but couldn't exact revenge with a stranger, so instead she went straight to the person who would hurt Hart the most: Cohle. It's undeniable marriage sabotage by Maggie who admits it as such, and, if we're being honest, well within her bounds given what she's endured from that hypocrite Hart. But it's bringing carnage to Cohle's life, too, as he's Hart's partner. And then Maggie had her "I fucked Ted" Breaking Bad moment when she happily told Hart that she revenge-banged Cohle, and she was right, Hart was not happy about that at all. 

It erupted in that excellent parking-lot brawl between Hart and Cohle that has been a long time coming, and answered the question of what the incident was that ripped these two hotheads apart in 2002. Cohle mowed another man's lawn after the lawn conned him into doing it because Hart took his mower to other lawns. It probably wasn't too difficult to figure out that this would be the undoing of Hart and Cohle, especially since Cohle came by to Maggie's all hot and sweaty and drinking lemonade that time a ways back. But watching it unfold was rough. 

And the timing of the whole punchy powwow in the series couldn't be more perfect. True Detective is playing with time in the best way possible. Important details are being trumped by new important details so the series never slumps. All these flashbacks never felt like flashbacks; they felt like real time. We've always watched the events of 2012–the interviews with detectives Gilbough and Papania–as if they were the end, and the story moving forward were the events of 1995. But now the 1995 story is over, only to be replaced by the events of 2002. And now it looks like we're done with 2002, and suddenly 2012 is moving forward. Hart, sick of the line of questioning from Gilbough and Papania, took his receding hairline and bare left ring finger out of the police department in a huff and was stopped by Cohle, and now we have a brand-new ball game. It seems obvious now that 2012 Hart and Cohle might meet up again, but lost in the details of 1995 and 2002 and with the two as far apart as they ever have been, my expectations were minimal while my hopes were highest. 

There are only two episodes left of True Detective's close-ended first season and the final bookend has been knocked over with the possibilities wide open. The two could go on to solve the case of the Yellow King. They could both be suspects. They could just have that beer Cohle wants. We gleefully and willingly know nothing except what came before. We know they had bad times, then good times, then worst times, and all of a sudden, Cohle materializes out of the horizon after a decade, his truck still wearing the scars of their parking lot disagreement. Hart spoke of Cohle with respect and near-reverance with Gilbough and Papania, as though what was in the past was in the past. And we've seen them work together and put aside their differences. But after all they've been through, especially after Cohle's brief affair with Maggie, how much does Hart really respect Cohle now? Enough to make sure his gun is loaded for that drink they're getting. Another outstanding episode of True Detective

CASE NOTES

– Maybe I missed something, but I don't know if we got any big clues into the case. Signs appear to point to Billy Lee Tuttle as the Yellow King, or at least as a man involved in everything. And Kelly, who was the girl who Hart and Cohle rescued from Reggie Ledoux's den of death, would only say that a third man was tall and had scars on his face. Then she wigged out.

– I guess I should also add that I don't care that the case didn't move forward that much in the episode.

– Cohle: "I'm the person least in need of counseling in this entire fucking state." This is a statement that is both very true and very false. 

– Cohle: "I quit. Fuck this. Fuck this world. Nice hook, Marty." HAHA. I love this guy. 

– Cohle: "WE're in a muddy swamp here, man, the alligators are swimming around us and we don't even know they're there, you know why? We don't see 'em." Hart: "I caught zero logic in all that that, and that last big? Gibberish." HAHAHA I love these guys. 

– Marty the human tampon. Several ways to interpret that, I guess. 

– I haven't gotten into the literary significance of Robert W. Chambers' "The King in Yellow" because a) I haven't read it and me talking about it would be like me talking about the mathematics of quantum neutrino fields, and b) I don't think it's required reading to enjoy True Detective. But if you are interested in the relationship between the book and True Detective, this is the article you should read.

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 8/9/2015

Season 2 : Episode 8

180 Comments
Comments (180)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
True Detective continues to astound me!!!
Such an intense if less than dark episode.
Flag
One(of many) thing I find intriguing is if Cohle and Martys relationship ended the way it did there in 2002 why is Marty Lying for and pointing out how much he respects Cohle in the interview in 2012? The only thing that makes sense to me is that the have interacted since then and Marty at least have some idea of what Cohle's been up to since.
Marty just doesn't seem to be the guy who lets bygones be bygones and just decides to forget about how there relationship ended.

What do you guys think?
Flag
By this point Marty had to have moved on about Maggie. She probably even admitted why she did it with Cohle anyway. 10 years is a long time and the bond these guys formed working the case don't get trashed easily. Marty throws Cohle under the bus he's got plenty to answer for himself.
Flag
Staff
Yep, a lot of his good will towards Cohle comes from protecting his own ass, methinks.
Flag
Marty will forever owe Cohle for covering up he double murder of those Nazi dudes. Regardless of what happened between them personally, they're both in too deep to ever throw one another under the bus. Gotta keep up appearances.
Flag
Calling Cohle's integrity into question, indirectly calls Marty's integrity into question. So Marty, can't admit to having knowledge of any indiscretion on Cohle's part, even if he hates Cohle's guts, because Cohle 'held him down' and 'backed his play' (no questions asked) when Marty killed Reggie Ledoux. Women come and go but often two friends have a strong enough bond that it cannot be permanently destroyed by playing one against the other. Cohle let him know it was nothing personal, he had been drinking and was vulnerable when Maggie seduced of him. Marty has already showed a bit of contrition. He has come to accept the role he played in destroying his own marriage: constant lying and repeated infidelity.
Flag
Is it Sunday yet?
Flag
Each episode is not long enough
Flag
Does anyone think its weird that the two detectives looking at Cohle are both black? That must be something symbolic. Cohle called them 'company men', but he seemed to use that term to refer to men who are puppets of the brass or maybe part of a greater conspiracy. I dont know if he really looks at them that way or if he's being deliberately misleading? Or maybe those guys are black to help contextualize the timeline, showing that the department became more integrated since the story began. Another weird thing is the way they overemphasized Cohle's broken tail light, as if thats gonna come back into focus later on. I guess we're supposed to ignore it for now as something that happened when they were fighting.
Flag
Doesn't "company men" usually refer to people working for the CIA?
Flag
there aint no cia involvement here
Flag
I think it was just to contextualize the timeline as you said. When present-day Cohle walks out of the room he was interrogated in, you can see quite a few black cops. It would be a nice twist if the two cops were also in on it or something though.
Flag
I agree. One thing I will say is this is one of the most unpredictable shows I've seen in a while. The last one was "The Shadow Line".
Flag
Marty is one lucky mofo and isn't that Lizzie from TWD lol
Flag
No it's Lili Simmons, you might recognize her as Rebecca from Banshee.
Flag
sorry I shoud've been more clear I meant Marty's younger daughter
Flag
Staff
Yep, that's everyone's favorite teen psycho Lizzie!
Flag
So the chick Marty banged, the actress is off Banshee isn't she? I was wracking my brains trying to work out who it was the entire episode but it just came to me.
Flag
True Detective is the quickest passing hour (minus commercials) of all TV land. Its like I'm in a trance.
Flag
Impressive stuff. It's a full hour sans commercials...It's movie level good.
Flag
Thats what I tell everyone I recommend this to; Its like a movie every week. To some extent I think movies are doomed....
Flag
I have difficulty resolving the vitriol of some over Maggie's choice.. she too is part of the "flawed universe" (Beth) and falls prey to the "tragic misstep" of consciousness (Cohle). A lot of articles are talking of one of the darker themes of women's/children's positions in the TD world and the products that men/society become - For me this is further reinforced by putting Marty in his "trophy" room when he's on the phone with Lisa after finding the note/suitcases. He treats women as something to be hung up, put on a shelf and bragged about... like the objects in his trophy room. A lot of themes/situations in the series would support this, I think... add to the list!!
Flag
Also, this stole the episode for me:
Cohle: "I quit. Fuck this. Fuck this world. Nice hook, Marty."

Can't tell if we're supposed to fall in love with Cohle or not, but that's the rabbithole I'm going down.

Flag
"Cohle mowed another man's lawn after the lawn conned him into doing it because Hart took his mower to other lawns."

The only part in this review that matters.
Flag
I'm glad I'm not a tv.com staffer. People sure are hard on these guys. Is there any joy to being repeatedly kicked in the nutts? Not that I can think of.
Flag
I liked the review! That was just my favorite part.
Flag
thats a relief.
Flag
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00847UYWA/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1393333907&sr=1-1
Flag
Fantastic show! Besides Justified, the best on TV right now. Marty is an a-hole. He cheats on his wife and still he manages to be "the victim" when his wife sleeps with Rust. And Maggie, sleeping with Rust and then tell Marty just to hurt him. And kill their freindship. That pretty crappy. This episode was for me the weakest but still good. Besides all the sleeping around nothing much happened conserning the case.
Flag
So the two black detectives mention that Cohle did bad things for a long time. Obviously he is not a member of the local cult and surely not in on any of their crimes.
It seems Cohle lost faith in the whole justice system and took matters in his own hands - being detective, judge and executioner in one person.
He collects enough evidence on the bad guys, confronts them with what would happen if their crimes became public and then manipulates them into thinking of suicide as the only way out. That's also what he did to that disturbed woman in the interrogation room. Although we don't know if she took Cohles advice - we now know what Cohle thinks is the best solution for these kind of people.
Flag
I loved the "horns" in Tuttle's desk.
Flag

A lot of good detective work going on out there!!! Here's my obsessive Cohle'esque contribution from the most recent episode. Beth's mirror has pics that form the infamous "swirl".
Flag
So intriguing.
Flag

As usual, there is so much awesomeness in the episode, like Rust oh so off-handy suggesting the suicide card (that made me gasp both times I watched the exchange) or Marty scariest opening scene...

But I choose to focus on those intense moments in Rust's apartment, because: holy shit.

I didn't see that coming, and by that I mean Maggie being the cold, calculating bitch she was. We witnessed Marty's bouts of psycho-anger and violence, we very well knew about Cohle's coldness, detachment and occasional psycho-talks (which I love &3), yet what I didn't know is that Maggie could be just like him. And worse.

Marty told the young detectives that Rust could spot and exploit weakness like no one else, but Maggie just mastered it because she did so with someone close, someone she had a relation with: she knew Rust had a soft spot for her, whether romantic or not, but she knew, she took advance of it without a care in the world of any repercussion on Rust and Marty relationship, not to mention Rust's feelings. And his expression, after, when he realizes she's just used him, is hurt and vulnerable for the one second and it breaks my heart.

Then, THEN, she tells Marty about it and why not? She adds that she hadn't had a fuck like that in 17 years or so.
WOW. That was some new level of cruelness and vendetta.

Now, I think Marty deserved every bit of it from her, but Rust? Involving him was the only solution yeah, but so ruthless and unfair.

Sooo, my question is: how awesome this show is?!
More+
Flag
Since you mentioned the book "The King in Yellow"...the Amazon Kindle version is free.

Ps. Great episode. Great series. I'm really gonna miss Cohle and Hart after this season.
Flag
Staff
Yep! I grabbed it as soon as I heard.
Flag
I thought kimble books have all kinds of compatibility issues.
Flag
i mean kindle or whatever the
Flag
How so? I haven't experienced any issues with it, although I haven't used the Kindle app much (I think I only read 1 book on it so far)
Flag
there's a list of devices that are compatible with kindle. its on amazon.com. if your device is on that list, youre good. yet lots of devices are not on the list. those devices would likely have compatibility issues. Mine isnt on the list. Its an android tablet. i think its likely just licensing issues but if they don't want you playing their stuff, more than likely your device wouldnt be on the list. but obviously youre good.
Flag
OK The Cohle is depraved, was corrupted when he was under-cover all those years take, is one angle, but there are others equally valid.

One rather large pre-condition I'm gonna set on this story's outcome is that since it is a TV show designed to entertain as well as edify, it is inconceivable that the perpetrator/s are completely unknown to the audience.

True that can happen in TVland, but if 'The Yellow King" or whatever we want to call him/her turns out to be some random person - preacher or pimp, the story will lose much of it's dramatic power.

There is a small chance that this could happen, making the climax of the story arc about two old detectives overcoming their mutual animosity to work together solve the worst crime since Eve bit the apple, but I just don't believe even writers as talented these are, could sell that and keep the dramatic intensity up to its current level.

There are many options other than Marty or Rust though - the one who springs to mind the most is Maggie.
Yeah I know if "True Detective' fans were asked to vote on which of the trio of leads, Rust, Marty or Maggie, they would prefer to be divulged as being the killer, Marty would lead the hunt by a country mile- which is the reason why it is least likely to be Marty IMO.

Sssh! yeah I like Maggie too, but we know Marty has a weakness for 'damaged goods' - a rather sick sexist way of describing women subjected to abuse as children- but what if Maggie was originally one of those unfortunates too?

We have met Maggie's parents, her father is domineering, his dislike of Marty may indicate a man patently unable to free Maggie and allow her relationship with her husband to function outside of his supervision.

IMO both Marty's daughters show signs of childhood abuse. The 'good little girl' obedient, polite eager to please her father is just as much of a cliched indicator of abuse as the self mutilating town bicycle can be.

Maggie has moved on from victimhood to become a trusted lieutentant in the cult. She marries a copper to keep a finger on the pulse of grass roots police work for the organisation, and uses her position as Marty's Number 1 wife to knock him off balance whenever the gang is concerned at the way his investigations are going.

Maggie knew about Marty's disloyalty quite a while before she acted out on it.
It was pretty much the same the first time she kicked Marty to the kerb moved her 'the girls' in with Daddy. Hart Cohle were making headway in their investigation when that happened.

What if she went the tango with Rust to ensure the two detectives had a falling out, so that Cohle lost the only other cop who believed in him making his investigations and the stuff he had already unearthed, useless?

The Maggie lovers will dismiss this as fantasy they may well be correct, but I am convinced that if this show is to maintain intensity right up until the last minute, it will have to disappoint/annoy/betray at least one segment of the viewing audience; revealing one of the characters whose life we have become familiar with, as a murdering, raping child abuser.
More+
Flag
Well, Maggie is not even a suspect in my book. Too easily upset and hurt by the affairs of her husband and then doesn't even have the guts to hook up with a stranger in a bar. Sure Cohle was the better choice to take revenge but only after she failed out alone in the open and got to his house drunk. This woman wouldn't do anything bad to her kids herself but she may willingly ignore the signs around her due to her own weakness.
Since Maggies kids have been exposed (I believe not as participants but as spectators) it's possible that Maggies parents might be involved. Maggies father complaining about the youth and favoring the old days also leaves a sour taste in my mouth. He might be vulnerable to religious answers for his own issues.
The last scene showing Marty prepping his gun also suggests that Marty might be afraid of whatever it is Cohle found out in the meantime. Maybe Marty just wants to play it safe in case Cohle went completely insane but I think he is hiding something important or protecting someone close to him.
More +
Flag
YEah Maggie's father is suspect. I think maybe Audrey was forced to watch and it may even have been Maisie the victim. It is what the girl in the hospital said happened to her watching them do stuff to the younger boy. Maggie is so withdrawn and obviously calculating, she's got emotional baggage.
Flag
Those are some interesting points. I was thinking about Maggie's father as well. And the older daughters pictures. You don't just come out with those pictures and the position of the toys on your own as a child. She saw those somewhere, I doubt it is the Marty so that leaves Maggie and that leaves her father. I am not as convinced that Maggie is as willingly complicit as you do. She might be under the thumb of her father. But your way certainly does sound better. Kudos to you.
Flag
Where to begin, my head just keeps spinning! I don't think a TV show has ever spun my head as this one does. Ok, first of all EVERYONE is a liar! Hart, Cohle, Maggie, The Two Detectives, just everyone! I'm not sure why they aren't telling the truth about the affair of Cohle and Maggie. It's really not that big of deal.....well it is a huge deal in matters of relationships but why keep it from the detectives? Sure it's really none of their business and I'm sure they can put it together but why keep the circle of lying alive? The only thing I can think of is that Maggie AND Hart know what Cohle has been up to, maybe Hart was trying to play Cohle off as the good guy to deflect suspicion. Same with Maggie. Maybe the goal of Cohle is to become a suspect to draw the killer out! Oh and Harts daughter, I'm just not sure if she figures in. It would be absolutely heart breaking if she was and I'd be sick to my stomach with rage if Hart has anything to so with it! Argh! I really can't believe we only have two episodes left!
More+
Flag
Wait a minute. If the hot girl out of Banshee turns up on True Detective does that mean that none of this is real and its all just actors acting? I'm confused...
Flag
It means it's time for you to make a choice. Do you take the red pill.. or the blue pill.
Flag
Well, I don't know how she's going to explain all this time away from Banshee to Proctor, very unforgiving man if you ask me...
Flag
she's boned
Flag
I thought that happened regardless of context...
Flag
Amazing how awkward looking lead characters of tv shows always get laid by pretty young things so easily.

The show could have done without this cliche.
Flag
Staff
The only thing I can think of is he's a cop and some ladies like that, I guess?
Flag
the pretty young things are to give us guys something to look at. that girl is pretty hot but Maggie is the bomb. I'll knock the dust off that!
Flag
someone be jealous...
Flag
Oh dear, after reading a little of "The King In Yellow" I am much less optimistic about Rust Cohle's innocence.
From the 1st chapter:
"I pray God will curse the writer, as the writer has cursed the world
with this beautiful, stupendous creation, terrible in its
simplicity, irresistible in its truth--a world which now
trembles before the King in Yellow. When the French
Government seized the translated copies which had just
arrived in Paris, London, of course, became eager to
read it. It is well known how the book spread like
infectious disease, from city to city, from continent to
continent, barred here, confiscated there, denounced by
press and pulpit, censured even by the most advanced
of literary anarchists. No definite principles had been
violated in those wicked pages, no doctrine
promulgated, no convictions outraged. It could not be
judged by any known standard, yet, although it was
acknowledged that the supreme note of art had been
struck in "The King in Yellow," all felt that human
nature could not bear the strain, nor thrive on words in
which the essence of purest poison lurked. "

afaik this is a story of the corruption of the innocent, everyone who cannot resist the temptation to read the thing just to find out what it is about becomes terminally depraved upon finishing the book.
This is a story about a story about a story so there is room there for Cohle to resist temptation but we do know how TV showrunners love to put a shocking twist into any tale (tail).
More+
Flag
For those who don't know is that the original Yellow King is known to the Ouigours, Mongols, and other Uzbecks from the Mongolian Steppes as the King of Fear. He was prophesied to rise within the times of the Russian Revolution. Ouspensky mentions him in his writings, It will be introduced into French occult circles via the Martinists, Russian Rosicrucian lodges and be embedded into the the role of the triads in Manchuria during the Japanese occupation. Elizabeth Antebi writes in great detail on this subject in her book Ave , Lucifer on the role of fringe movements from WWi to the 1970s.
Flag
This episode allows people who have not watched Banshee to also enjoyed the beauty of Lili Simmons. I am thinking this girl should be in the movies very soon.

I totally called it that the two guys "broke" up because of the wife. What else could it be.
Flag
Lili Simmons is in danger of being typecast as that girl who fucks older guys!
Flag
That's a good thing.
Flag
I am quite sure she will get to the movies soon and it will required her to strip but it might made her a movie star. Perhaps a new Demi Moore.
Flag
"I quit. Fuck this. Fuck this world. Nice hook, Marty." -- The perfect line from a perfect scene. Great ep all around as usual - loved it. 9.5/10
Flag
if you were a fan of 'Banshee' then you'd definitely have remembered that it was the beauty Lili Simmons returning as 'Beth'. (The shows share one of the best casting directors in television.) Most beautiful behind on television. Sorry to be crass, just stating facts.
Flag
I am actually worried that she will be typecast at her young career, so while I enjoy seeing her naked,I would rather see her more act.
Flag
Agreed. She's been good his year and around a lot. I think she has some very important clothed scenes in the final 3 on 'Banshee' coming up. Its those eyes, she's going to have a tough time getting around being cast as doe eyed victim or the girl that is hiding something behind those eyes and only looks innocent. Young actresses look much better when they aren't racing to anorexia.
Flag
This show is all about the masks people wear. Cohle in the beginning wears (poorly) the mask of a normal person. But he isn't normal, he is a genius, he is forced to wear a mask of normality because the people around him are morons, wearing there own masks of competence, but could find competence with a flashlight and a map. "Fuck this world" and "the standard level of incompetence", and the Walmart comments by him were his critique of those around him. They are really really dumb. He can't work in dumb, not anymore, not with his boss being an ass, Marty being ahh shucks all the freaking time and the rest being just blindly dumb. I would have had to drink to talk with those detectives as well. So what does Cohle do. Cohle, seeing that there is no one helping him, no one can help him he does what many literary characters have done before. He dons the mask of a crazy person. Like Hamlet, in order to continue his investigation. Because he as a crazy conspiracy citizen can do whatever he wants, can float from place to place unnoticed and if noticed can be dismissed as a crazy conspiracy believing ex cop that is no trouble. As a cop he is limited by his boss, he is limited by the law. I think he realized that in the first reprimand by his boss. The fight with Marty was just the excuse he needed. So he goes undercover on his own in order to try to solve this case. Cohle is not the Yellow King as he is discovering each little clue we are discovering it with him. He doesn't have dissociative identity disorder so that leaves him out.

Marty, wears the mask of the Good Guy. He is just less aware of the mask because it often fools even himself. For the most part he is a good man. I am sure any guy with daughters would want to do the same thing to those guys that diddled with his daughter. The vomiting session afterwards kind of solidifies him not being the Yellow King either. He doesn't have the stomach or the intelligence for this. Though he did kill the guy that was cuffed. Now he could very well have Dissociative Identity Disorder, but his rage is too shallow to develop a whole new personality. He is a hypocrite and kind of a asshole. He deserved all he got from Maggie. And the dismissal of nice hook by Cohle at the end of the fight was priceless. That is something that you tell someone after a fight that it was all right, but nothing that you could have done would have been enough. But Marty does want to do good, he just needs to get out of his own way in order to do so. The thing that I can't figure out is how in the hell is his daughter involved in all of this. They have been dropping hints with his older daughter all season.

Maggie too wore the mask of the satisfied housewife. The dumb, doting, unassuming housewife. She wore it well enough for Marty to leave pics of Lili on his phone. Dumb move Marty. She has wanted out of the marriage probably from the start, when she realized that Marty wasn't the man that she wanted to end up with. No intelligence, no ambition further than his base desires for other women. She wanted something more. She wanted a guy like Cohle, sadly she did that in when she used him to end it with Marty. She tore that mask off and showed that she is plotting, and vindictive and exacting. She hit Marty not only where it hurt the most, she insured that the marriage wouldn't be reconciled. Like she accepted it before, she would have gotten back together with him again and if it had been a random guy as revenge Marty might have as well, but in having sex with Cohle she made sure that he wouldn't take her back again. No way Marty would go back to the lawn, so to speak, that his buddy mowed. The lies to the detectives were great. Whether they are smart enough to not believe her is another thing.

But there is another Mask out there. The killer. Either we haven't seen him yet or we have and he was indistinguishable amid the clutter of the background that they have waded through in order to get to this point. And then you have to think about the powers that be that they keep running up against. Tuttle, the Governor etc. Obviously Tuttle isn't the killer because he died, either by his own hand or by the hand of Cohle. The Governor, maybe, but unlikely unless it really is a mask that he is wearing when he did the things he did in front of the girl. Because people tend to not vote for those with scars on their face. Likely it is someone associated with the Governor and Tuttle, a relative maybe, one of those long lost sons type of things, someone that would go unnoticed and be able to slip into the filth around the Bayou and not be noticed. But someone that the powers that be would want to protect out of sheer familial relations or because that person knows too much. The only person that we have seen thus far that could potentially fit that bill would be the Lawnmower guy at the school. We didn't meet him and know only that he got his job through a connection of some sort.

Another theory would be that is has something to do with the pictures that the reverend saw that led to his being fired. Perhaps a group of wealthy and powerful people with connections. Which could explain how they got to the guy in the cell. But the connections to he meth cooker would seem to not be there.

I don't know where this is all going but this is a great show. The writing and directing are phenomenal.

Also, To Lili Simmons. You are great. But choose your next role carefully because you might get typecast.
More+
Flag
As for the powers that be and who else is involved, I still think that the older guy in the majors office with Hart and Cohle, after he visited the reverend is somehow connected to this whole thing. We met him the first time in the first episode when Reverend Tuttle showed up. Back then he was a LSP officer. Now he is in civilian clothes, but still important enough to be in the office when Cohle gets suspended.

To me, all that looks like he is there to make sure the orders that have been given up high are followed to the letter. He seems like the guy who keeps people in line for whoever is in charge. And he is defenitly connected to the reverend.

All that makes him a great candidate for a membership in "The Conspiracy".

Also, nice analysis of the main characters.
Flag
Very well written sir. As a viewer who also appreciates the subtle nuances of story telling, a comment like yours serves to only enhance the quality of writing that goes into such an impeccable production as well as raise the standard of intellectual discourse. A show like this needs to be discussed and reflected upon, it would be a terrible disservice to simply watch it once and put it out of your head. A unfortunate trait that network tv has perfected and heavily propagates. Thanks for the insight! I believe i feel a bit smarter :)
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
You, sir, have written the best analysis I have read on an episode EVER. Kudos! The Internet is yours today.
Flag
"I'm sorry but thank you".

This is the BEST line ever. It could sum up the series, relationships, Creation, everything.
Flag
I don't watch the show, as I don't get HBO, but I read your reviews because I live in Lafayette, Louisiana, and I like to hear about local (ish) projects. So as a Louisianan, I can say that the most common spelling of that last name is Boudreaux, although the one you put could be possible if the writers chose to take some liberties. Anyway, keep up the good reviews; I hope to be able to watch the show once it's out on DVD.
Flag
Maggie was a b**ch for screwing Cohle as she did...she knew he liked her and like a cold blooded b**ch just used him....
Hart was such a coward beating up those guys in jail...
Flag
those kids got off easy because they wouldve gotten banged up and boned profusely in jail. they wouldve been the captains of the varsity slut team.
Flag
no doubt...but still he should have "teached" them a lesson outside police premises ....
Flag
maybe, but you know how police are about their controlled environments. they dont question murder suspects in their own homes because it introduces too many variables. Hart needed to let them know there was 'no escaping' his judgement if they banged his daughter again.
Flag
Flag
"...who I believe was the same underage young girl..."

In other words, you haven't seen a single episode of Banshee.
Flag
I can't wait for next week! Seeing the two detectives together again is going to be all kinds of awesome.
Hart has been highest on my list of suspects pretty much since the start, but now I'm having doubts, or maybe I'm just having wishful thinking. I would love to see the two men work together to bring down the Yellow King, even if that turns out to be someone we haven't seen.

I wish Maggie would have used someone else to get her revenge on her husband. Rust always seemed to be a little sweet on Maggie and for her to take advantage of that to get back at Marty was incredibly selfish. Marty had it coming, but she could have picked someone else and not fucked Rust's life up - what did he ever do to her?
Flag
I liked the broken tail lamp shot; as if to say, "Yup we're broken, but still workin'".
Flag
To me it also indicated that Cohle hasn't really moved on from where he was mentally the day of the brawl in the parking lot.
Flag
That's the point mate. As bad as Marty may seem as a wanting moral dichotomy; he's still a true detective at heart, and Rust was relying on that.
Flag
Flag
Also liked how they played up the Cohle-Marty tension prior to anything happening between Maggie and Cohle. The whole, "Here Marty type this up" was classic. So dismissive and condescending.

Flag
Another phenomenal hour of entertainment. Nice breather from the past two action packed episodes, good tie up of the mid year of 2002 where the case that was solved turned out to not be solved at all. Now we have the interviews over and Marty and Cohle meeting up to get back to work on the case. Sets up well for a great final 2 eps.
I have re-watched the first 5 eps. on HBO on demand and one of the cool features is they speak with the writers after the show, one of the things they pointed out regarding Cohle drinking beer in the interview is that not only does it satisfy his need as a functioning alcoholic but that everything he said in the meeting becomes inadmissable once he began drinking. Certainly the Cops knew that but it's cool to see the ways in which Cohle swings it to his advantage. He got more out of that meeting by far than they did.
Flag
Well, if there have been clues that point to a single killer who's been operating since the 90s and is still going in 2012, I've missed them. I have no idea who it might be. But, I'm pretty sure it's not Hart or Cohle.
Flag
Actually, I've now decided it's the large guy with glasses who was in the revival tent. He got severely beaten up in prison, so would have had scars. Not on his face, but Kelly didn't actually confirm that's where they were.
Flag
Maggie is a vindictive superc*nt. I thought she was being a little too lovable and frisky with Cohle. She went and banged him just because he was Hart's closest confidante. She left Hart feeling hurt, betrayed, isolated and stupid. She crushed that poor fool. He deserved it though. He sneaks home and into the shower thinking he was being slick? All the while Maggie is stealthily unraveling the swindle.

She gave him two daughters and the best years of her life , only to find out he's banging a home-wrecking bimbo half her age? A Greek-speaking bimbo at that?!!

Flag
Well Maggie was attracted to Cohle from the get go. He hurt her not once but twice and played her as a fool. She knew that she wanted to really stick it to him. The random guy at the bar wasn't going to do that. To hit Hart where it really hurts was no one other than Cohle. Who exhibited jealously at the mere mowing of a lawn. Maggie is smart. She is probably the smartest character after Cohle. I like Maggie.
Flag
Nah, any schmo would've done it. Marty goes bezerker mode whoever messes with his 'property'. Maggie chose Cohle because she's a coward and wanted him rather than some stranger dick in her.
Flag
whats not to like?
Flag
And he dare to call his daughter a slut.
Flag
Total bitch move by Maggie.
I found it most disturbing that Marty bangs the ex child hooker than the stenographer, as she's closest to his daughter's age and another vulnerable, if not fucked up, young girl. Her anal virgin line still has me laughing. Marty being so dumb as to leave his phone around without a lock code is beyond even his level of numb nuttedness.
Flag
His unlocked phone shows just how dumb he thinks Maggie is.
Flag
In his defense, he doesn't seem like the most technologically proficient individual. But he could at least have deleted them. Or not left the phone out.
Flag
He left the phone out as a ballsy Marty move, as if to say I have nothing to hide. But he's forgetting Maggie's a woman and a woman will read a man's diary and then blame him if he complains for keeping secrets. It's curiosity killed the cat for a reason!
Flag
Sorry I have to ask this but what did Maggie say to Marty when she said "that was the best F*** I had since _____________________ girls? I couldn't make it out.
Flag
To tell you the truth,I haven't been fucked like that since before the girls.
Flag
Regarding Kelly's testamony. She confirmed there was a third man, but I personally don't believe the scars were on his face. I think remembereing the face of the man was what sent her into hysterics, and it was a classic television misdirect that she was confirming scars on the face
Flag
Spot on....so who's big and taken gunshots or a beating to the abdomen?
Flag
The heavyset dude with the glasses from the Revival tent, he was mutilated in the genital area while in prison. Cohle even went into the caravan and visually confirmed it.
Flag
That guy couldn't lead himself to water much less lead a group of Satanists.
Flag
Maybe that's what he wants people to think?
Flag
Yes, she never said they where on his face, Cohle asked her were they on his face and she freaked out.
Flag
I knew Rust was still working the case! I don't know who the Yellow King will turn out to be, but I'm pretty sure there are lots of people involved and I think Reggie Ledoux was part of it, but not the mastermind (obviously). Not sure if Billy Lee Tuttle is the Yellow King, since he's dead, but his organization is definitely involved, and he had to know about it. Maybe Rust convinced him to commit suicide!

I'm glad the show is now shifting from remembering the past, to working on the case in the present. Loved the previews for next week, I'm betting what Rust shows Marty has to do with Marty's daughter.
Flag
I don't see how Marty seeing the angels and devil after cheating on his wife again relates in any way to the idea that Cohle is the (figurative) devil. Cohle had nothing at all to do with that scene, why would that visual in any way speak to that theory?

Either way, if anything it would seem that Cohle is some sort of avenging angel, not the devil...
Flag
Incredible! I really hope the killer is neither of these two and that they team up and blow this conspiracy wide open.
Btw, loving the symbolism in the show, it really knows how to f*** with our heads! Bravo!

Flag
Thx for sharing !
Flag
You're very welcome. :-) I love taking notice of those little things.
Flag
Yeah at the end when these two near-insane grey morality skewed cops with unlimited baggage agreed to have a beer I almost fist pumped the air.
The truck with the same busted tail-light? This show is literally the sh#t (but not literally)!
Time for these nutcase cops/karma enforcers or whatever to bring the full power of their insanity and self-righteous indignation down on some evil perps and dish out some hurt to those who sorely deserve it!
Flag
Well said! :-)
Flag
Can someone find that sign of the judgement song the version that was at the end of this episode ? A firm handshake goes to anyone who can find it.
Flag
That is the song but its not the version in the show. I hear its by Cassandra Wilson but still cant find it. I'm sure it will pop up soon
Flag
Did you buy it? It's clearly a slowed down remix. Perhaps with a dif singer for the ending of both the track and show.
Flag
Flag
Its a special version of "Sign of the Judgement" by Cassandra Wilson. I can't find it anywhere yet. So far, there seems to be only this version around. Though I'm sure the one you're looking for will turn up in the next couple of days. Sorry, I tried. :-)

Flag
I went on Cassandra Wilson's site it seems it has been recorded only for the show, as she has no plans for a 2014 album release and is mainly touring.
Flag
I found this one too I'm sure you are right and it will come up soon thanks for the effort though :)
Flag
I won't be surprised if Cohle killed Tuttle thinking that he is behing the killing.But I don't understand Gilbough and Papania's logic.They think that Cohle is the Yellow King but at the same time suspect him of killing Tuttle in vigilante style.
Flag
They are paper pushers. They want the case wrapped up nice and tight. They can't get a read on Cohle so he must be the one that did it.
Flag
company men as Cohle called them!

Flag
"behind"
Flag
The worst and yet predictable trope that this episode used was Maggie playing the bitch move of using Cohle and telling Marty. It's disappointing writing and felt wrong to me for Maggie's character. However, now Maggie has turned into mini Marty in both her vengeance and keeping schtum over her personal reality to the suits - the 'typical' tight lipped ex-wife of a cop.
Marty shagging the ex child hooker he saved showed how desperate he'd become for validation in his life and, played juxtaposition to all that he as a father had gone through of late with his daughter. It made me laugh how easily he fell for the temptation of deflowering the anal virgin. Surely even in his base state he'd of gone, "First anal fuck, yeah right?". I do hope he uses condoms. Lili Simmons and her puffy nipples and ass can be seen to similar effect in Banshee.
The conspiracy of rape and murder appears to be growing larger by the week. This episode had me adding Major Salter to the list of potentials involved - or is it me stilll thinking of him as the dodgy Greek from The Wire?!
I enjoyed this episode overall and can only pray that it has at last set the human tampon and philosophy major back on the road together.
Apparently, a second season has been green lit and so this run could go any where, or pretty much no where, near completion. As would have to be the way though, recent successes for McConaughey may put things to rest for a while - much like what happened with Sherlock.
More+
Flag
I agree with you to a certain extent about Cohle and Maggie sleeping together. Having Marty and Cohle's long-awaited bust-up turn out to be because of this was a little clichéd, but at the same time the series managed to make me sympatheise with Maggie's decision. Once they were done she thanked Cohle and told him she was sorry, which I think explains it all. She was stuck in a relationship with Marty that she desperately needed an out from, and she saw sleeping with Cohle as the perfect way. Not only would she be able to leave Marty as a result, but she'd have done what he'd been doing to her all those years, and would have it hurt all the more as well knowing it was someone he knew well. So considering the generic idea it formed around, I thought all the characters involved were portrayed brilliantly to make it something more. Although I sort of wish Cohle wasn'r dumb enough to fall for Maggie's advances.
Flag
Yeah but that's the point; Maggie chose to seduce Cohle when drunk (she even brought booze just in case), whom she said had regard for but blew up his life any way. She knew Marty didn't particularly like Cohle and so no doubt that's supposed to play into her thought process. But at the same time her liking Cohle should've had her think to just screw some random Joe, as knowing Marty as we do now, that would've sent him off on a chase of self-implosion. Ultimately it works either way. I just liked Maggie's character as a strong and decent person and so would've preferred her to use the selfies as the last straw.
Flag
Maggie's a coward, in the final analysis, she chose Cohle and chickened out of strange dick.
Flag
The second season will have different story, different characters, different everything.
Flag
let's hope excellent writing keeps the same though

Flag
The writer is the only thing that stays the same so hopefully yes. :)
Flag
Hart is more and more interesting as a character. He comes off as this macho alpha male type, starting the episode by beating the crap out of a couple of teenagers that were caught messing around with his daughter. He then tries to do the same to Cohle for messing with his wife (which didn't end as well for him). All this from a guy who couldn't keep it in his pants himself to save his life. He's a bit like a lion, trying to protect his pride from younger males, but too busy checking out the pride next door to stop them.

And what about his relationship with Cohle? We saw it fall apart again this episode, after reaching a high point in the last two, and it wasn't all because of Cohle's involvement with Hart's wife. The mutual saluting pictured above was over Cohle's refusal to let their old case go. Is Hart just upset that his partner's behavior will reflect badly on him, or worried that re-opening the old case will expose things he'd rather leave hidden? There clearly isn't much love lost between them, but in spite of this animosity toward Cohle, there's still a lot of respect. He walked out of the hearing in 2012 rather than say anything bad about him, once the direction of the investigation became clear.

Which brings us to the final scene. Did he check his gun at the end because he still has a score to settle, or has he been spooked a bit by the recent revelations of what Cohle has been doing for the last 10 years? Is he preparing to go after Cohle, defend himself from Cohle, or come to Cohle's aid if need be? Does he even know the answer himself at this point? The next two episodes will be interesting.
More+
Flag
Solving Dora Lange murder made Hart a hero. So I'm pretty sure he doesn't want to lose that. And maybe he doesn't want to believe that a large conspiracy like this was happening under his nose for the last decade.
Flag
Tim, if you want to see a real live proof of how someone very softspoken and very calm can convince an offender to admit his deeds I recommend you google Colonel Russel Willimans and Jim Smyth. Video runs about 2,5 hours from the beginning to the end with only a few minutes cut out until Williams confesses the rapes of 4 women and the murder of two. It is just amazing and insanely fascinating.
Flag
Excellent reference, one of the most terrifying cases in Canadian history and largely resolved via the detectives relentless and pointed interviewing skills.
Flag
yet another great episode, a nice change in pace from the last few all though I loved them as well, not much I care to say about this episode other than that I loved it, but what has my mind spinning again is the preview for the next episode, hart saying, "do you know how crazy all that sounds" and then Chole saying, "I need to show you something" and then hart watching whatever he showed him and was obviously outraged and surprised, so what the hell is on that tape? does it have something to do with harts wife? I doubt it but I have to throw that in there because we still dont know shit yet, does it have anything to do with that girl that hart slept with? the one that he earlier saved? maybe she was a part of this the whole time as well, all though I doubt that also but I wonder lol, The Tuttle guy is an obvious suspect thats why I think hes not the main guy for sure, and maybe not even connected at all to all this, hes simply just some weird guy meant to throw us off the real trail to the killer/killers. /rant yeah I cant wait until next week, ill probably be back here saying similar things after I watch it though lol.
More+
Flag
I think Hart see's his daughter on the tape, or whatever Chole shows him. We know from past episodes featuring the older daughter that she is important to the storyline or they would not have featured her disturbing drawings and her transformation into rebellion.
Flag
Ok if is true , what's her relationship in the first murder in 1995??
Flag
Yeah I think that she is somehow involved with the cult that is behind the killings.
Flag
I'm hoping they will would explain his daughters weird behavior with drawings and the dolls she was playing with. I always figured something really bad happened to her or she saw something.
Flag
A lot of her behaviour is indicative of sexual abuse

Flag
Also notice that as Audrey got older she started hanging out with the "goth crowd" the two dudes in the cell were both wearing heavy metal, "satanist" clothing. Add to that her posing of the dolls. I suspect she was involved in one of these sick acts as a child and has a repressed memory.
Flag
One of the shirts is of Pantera's Far Beyond Driven album. The original cover had a drill going into someone's ass. And ironically later Beth asks Marty to do the same to her.
Flag
Another amazing episode! This was a nice breather from the two hard hitting episodes that were 'Who Goes There?' and 'The Secret Fate of All Life' that being said this was still an episode filled with tenuous moments and tons of strife between characters. The relationship between Cohle and Hart is freaking interesting probably the best on TV currently and possibly all time. We all knew Marty would most likely return to his adulterous ways but a little part of me was hoping it was behind him. I've been wondering what their altercation had been and now it makes sense. I wonder if Marty is thinking about killing Cohle why else check his gun to see if it's loaded? These last two episodes are going to be intense!
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members