We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

A True Detective Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on HBO

It's barely past the first week of January and already television is slapping you around with so many new shows that your face is probably getting pretty sore. But you're going to have to rub some dirt on it or put an ice pack on your cheek because the new TV will not stop! Case in point: the latest offering from HBO, a highly touted drama called True Detective. But is it worth another smack on your money-maker? I've seen the first episode, and I'll help you figure that out in another edition of Help! My TV Is Hitting Me, Make it Stop, TV.com! 

True Detective, so this is a True Blood spin-off about vampire detectives?

Well, Matthew McConaughey's gaunt face may make him look like he's an undead bloodsucker, but no. This limited series follows a pair of Louisiana detectives called upon when their old murder case that was closed some 17 years ago is reopened. The narrative bounces around between the two timelines, checking in on the cops today and following the original investigation.

Whose show is this, and who's in it?

The series was created by author Nick Pizzolatto, who wrote every episode; Cary Fukunaga directed every episode. But the names in lights belong to Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson, two movie-star buddies who co-star. Michelle Monaghan and Kevin Dunn also star.

When does True Detective get to detecting?

True Detective premieres Sunday, January 12 at 9pm on HBO. It's a miniseries, but it also has a chance to live on, American Horror Story-style. If it gets picked up for another season, it will feature a new case and new actors. (It will get picked up for another season.)  

Who might enjoy True Detective?

Fans of slow-moving psychological crime dramas, for sure. Think Top of the Lake, Broadchurch, and to some extent, Hannibal.

What's to like about True Detective?

Almost all of it, really. The acting is top-notch, with McConaughey excelling and making us forget what a boyish and goofy Texas boy he is in real life. And Fukunaga's direction boasts a very keen eye; True Detective is beautiful, and the shots are well-thought-out. The case is secondary to the characters—this isn't so much a mystery as it is an examination of the tolls of violence and those who investigate The series is sharp all around. Also, a Game of Thrones trailer is debuting right before it. That counts, right?

What isn't so great about True Detective?

It's slow. And I mean really slow. Especially the first hour. Brew a gallon of coffee, mainline some 5-Hour Energy, snort some Pixie Stix. You'll need a bit of help to get over that initial hump. Maybe eat that giant turkey burrito after watching the premiere? Also, it's not exactly light. "Entertaining" isn't the word I'd use to describe the series... maybe "gripping" is a better choice.

So, should I watch it?

If all of the above sounds good to you, then definitely. True Detective will be on many critics' Top 10 lists by the end of 2014 

Let's take a look at a trailer!

You got it!

True Detective premieres Sunday, January 12 at 9pm on HBO.

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 8/9/2015

Season 2 : Episode 8

81 Comments
Comments (81)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
BAALER SHOW SALA....BAAL BICHI EPISODE SARADIN....BOKCHOD ACTOR...GANDU CHODA MATHHU MACOGNY...CHUDE REKHE DEBO SALA BANCHOD EROM BOKCHOD MARKA POST DEKHLE...BABAR BIE DEBO SALA...SALA TOR MA KE CHUDI...TOR KUTTA KE DIE TOR MA KE CHUDI...BARA TOR BABA MAER BF SALA UTUBE E CHARBO BOKACHODA....TUI BARA GAR MARACHHIS,,BOKACHODA...BYARA CHODA....SALA BAKK
Flag
[img src="http://www.tv.com/users/tck980544/avatar/small.jpg" data-user-popup="tck980544"&
BAALER SHOW SALA....BAAL BICHI EPISODE SARADIN....BOKCHOD ACTOR...GANDU CHODA MATHHU MACOGNY...CHUDE REKHE DEBO SALA BANCHOD EROM BOKCHOD MARKA POST DEKHLE...BABAR BIE DEBO SALA...SALA TOR MA KE CHUDI...TOR KUTTA KE DIE TOR MA KE CHUDI...BARA TOR BABA MAER BF SALA UTUBE E CHARBO BOKACHODA....TUI BARA GAR MARACHHIS,,BOKACHODA...BYARA CHODA....SALA BAKK
Flag
It sounds like it might be too heavy for me, I like heavy, but alot of dramas start you out on a lighter note, not everyone's miserable yet but there's so trouble, that's the balance I like but it almost never achieved successfully in tv series (Shameless so far has done a pretty good job as balancing levity and tragedy), movies can do it sometimes because they don't have to last as long but for tv shows they keep piling on the misery and eventually the characters stop smiling altogether. That's how it's become in Sons of Anarchy, nobody's having fun anymore (except Happy), they're just trying not to get killed, which kind of bums me out to be honest. But even so, I'll give it a shot just because I've caught up on everything and I've finished Merlin so I don't have anything to watch.
Flag
For what I read around Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson will only play in the first Miniserie (I don´t want to call it season). Then the second miniserie will have another story, another actors/ actresses and will be an independent show, with some basic common things that relate each miniserie.
Kind of American Horror Story with different people each time. I like this idea very much (that is how HOMELAND should have gone) and I am for sure going to watch it.
Flag
I believe it's called an anthology.
Flag
Anthologies are a published collection of writings (such as poems or short stories) by different authors. This is TV, and I think it´s called Miniseries.
It is a regular series when it goes into several seasons, but it is a miniseries when it is only "one season". Like Top of the Lake. But I could be wrong, english is not my mother tongue.
Flag
You're not wrong about the definition of anthology as it relates to print, but common use of the term evolved with the invention of radio and later with the invention of television. As it relates to TV, examples of anthologies are Twilight Zone, Masterpiece Theatre, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Love American Style, Police Story, Underbelly, Amazing Stories, American Horror Story, Tales From the Darkside & so on.
Since True Detective is planned to move on to another season with a new case and cast, 'anthology' is indeed the proper term. I hope that helps clarify the difference.
Flag
Ok, thanks, so it is anthologies then ;)
Flag
Staff
I'll chime in: I've seen the first two episodes, and for the first time in a very long while, I wish I were willing to pay for premium cable. Top notch stuff.
Flag
Or for the less eeeevil (lol) EZTV is my provider of choice. Shows up 5 minutes after airing.
Flag
This is why PirateBay exists. I mean...wut?
Flag
Staff
I don't illegally download. *shrug*
Flag
I think it would have to be hard for this not to be excellent.
From what little I have seen and heard about this, it sounds like the excellent Canadian show from a few years back, Durham County.
Flag
Durham County is the single best thing my country has ever produced. (That and Tatiana Maslany.)
Flag
I will definitely watch it. Woody and Matthew in one TV show together: what's not to like about it?
Flag
@Tim: you could have saved a lot of words by just saying "YES!"

And to those of you worried it might be too slow for you, watch it anyway. And put away your phone and your iPad, and whatever other techno-gee-jaws you like to play with when watching TV while you're at it. We're all getting too ADHD these days. Watching something without non-stop action and explosions in it will do you good.
Flag
Well...... I would say it is the job of the show to make us want to focus on it exclusively. Good stories, with well developed unique characters, without forced drama should do it.
Flag
Michelle Monaghan is also in this, as well? Okay, I'm sold.
Flag
Tom Brady says: Hey I'd hit that! Oh..wait
Flag
I second that! She is gorgeous and a great actress. Really excited for this show.
Flag
Exactly, plus she seems to have impeccable taste in projects. I can't think of a single thing I've seen her in that I haven't overall loved!
Flag
it may sound stupid but while I was totally looking forward to this, after that trailer featured alex daddario lifting her shirt off in a teasing fashion I had reservations. I hate when premium channels tease nudity. I enjoy nudity and I don't get it on cable tv. so if daddario's scene in the trailer had just been no more than a rouse to draw in viewers I would have called shenanigans and told HBO to shove it. it turns out daddario actually shows the goods. and so I look forward to watching this and knowing that not everyone's a sucker for a named someone who refuses to do the nudity the script asks for. chiqrui in the borgias, danes in homeland, that chick from chuck in dexter. I guess maybe only HBO shows have the pull or balls to make it happen anymore. though p. arquette in boardwalk empire didn't do teh noods despite her two sex scenes, the show did get every other pretty new comer to.

in all seriousness I do look forward to the show as a fan of both woody and matthew and well acted shows even if slow moving.
More+
Flag
The slow part may kill it for me, :S But I sure will give it a try!
Flag
If it¨s like Top Of The Lake, then is for sure worth watching.
Flag
You had me at "detective", "Harrelson" and "McConaughey".
Flag
You had me at detective and HBO.
Flag
HBO = I will be watching
Flag
I haven't decided if I'll watch, yet. I am a bit done with crime shows, but I also really like truly good crime shows... perhaps I should at least watch a couple episodes.
Flag
I was already interested when I first heard about it, now I'm even more. I don't mind slow shows if the story makes sense and the acting is good. I was just slightly put off after reading the comparison to Top of the Lake in Tim's review. I just finished watching it and thought it was real boring and pretentious, hated the dialogue and the series could have been shorted to 5 episodes since the story got nowhere. I hope it's not the same case with True Detectives.
Flag
Broadchurch was slower than the intellect of those who watch Duck Dynasty, and I did go to Wikipedia to read who the killer was, but it was worth every minute of watching. Then again, it was a British show and they're usually always better than the crap made in the U.S.

TD is worth a look-see, especially since Girls (YAY!) and Episodes (YIPPEE!) are on afterwards.

Anything to wipe out the stain in my brain of Homeland.
Flag
I love your posts buddy, but I was exhausted just trying to list great TV from the US. I'll just go current TV with Person of Interest, Sleepy Hollow, Almost Human, NCIS, Blacklist, AMERICAN Horror Story, Supernatural, (yes-filmed in Canada but US production), and The AMERICANS. And that is just what I love. Sure there are others so would submit. I think we do ok. And yes, Sherlock and Doctor Who rock. But c'mon. Crap?
Flag
I really enjoyed Broadchurch; as a matter of fact, I'm an advocate of short series. Like I said above, I didn't like Top of the Lake, I thought they were trying too hard to be weird.

I don't live in the US, so I don't know what this Duck Dynasty is all about. Is it some kind of reality garbage?

Never really liked Homeland, something about it really rubbed me the wrong way. I kind of enjoyed the beginning of season 2, but hated the last episodes. Gave up after that boring season finale, luckily never came back for season 3. I just can't stand these shows that are committed to having a twist every goddamn minute instead of developing their storylines.
Flag
I'll watch if for no other reason than the Hollywood-y cast, I guess.
Flag
Now I just have to get past Woody's rug.

Flag
If it gets picked up for another season, it will feature a new case and new actors. (It will get picked up for another season.)

Now there's something Homeland should have done after Season One, after blowing up Nicholas Brody, and not going out the disgusting way they did.

Sure is getting a lot of hype.
Flag
Looking forward to this.
Flag
I really don't mind slow and this review piqued my interest. Will definitely give this one a try.
Flag
My interest has been piqued! I'll mean to watch it for the next couple weeks, but slowly I'll forget about its existence as life and other TV shows slowly erode away the part of my brain where I made a mental note to check it out until one day many many months from now it will appear as a Netflix suggestion and I'll spend an entire Sunday burning through every episode until I find myself, post-finale, mentally disturbed by all the grittiness and violence I've just witnessed, desperately wishing season 2 were here already.
Flag
How can i pass a show with this cast?
Flag
with occasional rare exceptions, I tend to avoid cop shows like a nice & healthy case of ebola, but it's got my two favorite stoner Texans on the screen at the same time, but beyond that shallow BS, I'm willing to endure it because it looks like the slow, dark burn may pay off in the end.

I'm willing to risk it & see how it goes
Flag
Been waiting for this since I first heard of it. I have a thing for "portrayals" of placed. Gritty, dirty, passionate places...
Flag
This is not the sort of series I would usually watch, but there's just something about it that's probably going to compel me to watch. I rarely buy into hype, but last week I was so interested in the show I went to watch it thinking it started last week, but it wasn't. Safe to say I was disappointed and am now anticipating this show immensely.
Flag
I've always liked Woody Harrelson, but I didn't really like Matthew until recently. He was good in A Time to Kill, but just about everything else I couldn't stand him in, but I think it was The Lincoln Lawyer that I watched and thought "wow, this guy can be pretty damn good." He's been making quite an impression lately with a slew of good films and good performances.

If this show is simply just Matthew and Woody talking all the time, then I am definitely in. The show will obviously be a little more than that, which will make it all the more better. It also has a few other familiar faces, like the names he mentioned, and Michael Potts (Brother Mouzone) from The Wire. How the hell did you forget that one Tim?
Flag
Michael Potts is in it? If I wasn't 100% sold before (which i was), I would be now!
And slow can be great...all depends on the dialogue, but something tells me this will be top notch writing...can't wait!
Flag
If this were five years ago I'd be like no way because McConaughey suck suck sucks, but he's turned the corner in recent years towards his early career form like Lone Star. Sounds like this has all the ingredients for a great show, and I like slow paced meditative fare. I am pretty fatigued with the gritty investigation show genre so it will have to distinguish itself to not put me off. I'm looking forward to it.

It can't be a coincidence that True Blood and True Detective both start with the same word and are both set in Louisiana. And the other Louisiana show Tremé almost starts with the same word. I detect a conspiracy!
Flag
His brief role in The Wolf of Wall Street was one of the most amazing things I have seen this year. I was literally crying, laughing so hard.
Flag
I'm in for the long haul.
Flag
No HBO for me, but I have definitely got the jones to check this out when it hits Netflix or somethin'.
Flag
Staff
Word.
Flag
Oh you mean HBO Go, because HBO isn't a big fan of other people making money off their material.....
Flag
These shows eventually end up on home market one way or another. And one must be an HBO subscriber to access HBO Go, I believe. Netflix isn't only online viewing, remember.
Flag
Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson have been delivering excellent performances these past several years. I can't wait for Sunday night!
Flag
Follow this Show
Members