A True Detective Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on HBO

RATINGS ARE A FLAT CIRCLE NEWS

... HBO's True Detective looked into the stars last night during its season finale (which I reviewed!) and what looked back was a ton of eyeballs: 3.5 million people tuned in for the first airing, a very good number for a first-season show on HBO. By comparison, just over 3 million tuned in for the Season 1 finale of Game of Thrones, which is now HBO's biggest series. And the 11 million gross average viewers for True Detective's first season makes it the most-watched freshman series for HBO since the 2001 premiere of Six Feet Under. It's unclear how many of those viewers are paid subscribers, though. HBO GO, HBO's on-demand streaming service, broke under the weight of people trying to watch True Detective's finale, and many of those are believed to have been sharing passwords. Thanks for ruining it for the rest of us, you leeches! [Variety]

BUSINESS TIME

... The ratings were considerably more down-to-earth for Fox's out-of-this-world Cosmos. The remake of Carl Sagan's scientific saga was broadcast across 10 networks, including Fox, FX, FXX, and National Geographic, but still only managed to bring in 8.5 million viewers. One Fox projection had the company expecting northward of 40 million viewers. Doing a little quick math in my head, I can say that is a massive disappointment. That's what you get for for airing educational programming, Fox! More bikinis and explosions, please! [THR]

... ABC's new sorta-zombie drama Resurrection fared much better, notching the best-rated midseason drama debut on network television in two years. An impressive 13.3 million viewers tuned in on a busy Sunday evening, which was good for a 3.6 rating in the 18-49 demo. But is the show any good? Glad you asked, because I reviewed it. [The Wrap]

... Cartoon Network just ordered a bazillion shows, so let's get through 'em as fast as we can! Over the Garden Wall is an animated miniseries about two brothers trapped in a mysterious land. Clarence follows an optimistic boy who wants to do everything and will debut on April 14. We Bare Bears centers on a trio of bears who are trying to assimilate into human society. There's also a slew of licensed shows, including a new Tom and Jerry, an updated Scooby-Doo! series called Be Cool Scooby-Doo!, Bugs Bunny in Wabbit, the Lego-branded series Ninjago, and Sonic the Hedgehog in the computer-animated Sonic Boom. Rounding out the roster are Total Drama: Pahkitew Island, Numb Chucks, and BeyRaiderz. [Deadline Hollywood]

... Adult Swim has given the okay to Black Jesus, a live-action comedy from The Boondocks' Aaron McGruder. The show follows Jesus in present-day Compton, California, and stars Grand Theft Auto V's Gerald "Slink" Johnson. [Adult Swim via press release]

CASTING NEWS

... Josh Duhamel (Las Vegas) will star in Battle Creek, CBS's upcoming detective pilot from Breaking Bad's Vince Gilligan. He'll play one half of a pair of buddy cops assigned to keep the town of Battle Creek, Michigan crime-free, despite a lack of help from government resources. Dean Winters (Oz) plays his buddy. [TV Line]

... Gabourey Sidibe (American Horror Story: Coven) will recur on Fox's hip-hop drama Empire. The series stars Terrence Howard as the head of a record label who's about to take his empire to the next level. Sidibe will play his assistant. Also joining the cast is former Alphas star Malik Yoba, who will play Howard's friend and business partner. [Deadline Hollywood]

... When Psych says goodbye later this month, its star James Roday will already be working another job. Roday will star in the CBS comedy pilot Good Session, playing the manly half of a couple that ends up in couples therapy after deciding to have a baby. Chuck's Matt Miller created the show, with Fockers guru John Hamburg executive-producing and directing. [THR]

... Jennifer Beals has joined the TNT drama pilot Proof. The show is about a female surgeon (Beals) who starts investigating paranormal cases involving phenomena like reincarnation, out-of-body experiences, and so forth. [Deadline Hollywood]

... Robert Patrick (the T-1000) will co-star on CBS's drama pilot Scorpion. The series follows a group of really, really smart guys who serve as a line of defense against international threats. It's like Baby Geniuses but all grown up. [Deadline Hollywood]

... Louis C.K. will host Saturday Night Live again later this month! Look for him in the next new episode of the sketch show, which airs March 29. No musical guest has been announced, but who cares?! Louis C.K.! [EW]

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 8/9/2015

Season 2 : Episode 8

59 Comments
Comments (57)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
CN's announcement suggests that Beware The Batman may be cancelled, even if it finishes out it's first season.
Flag
I liked Resurrection much better than Believe and I am so glad to hear it got very good ratings. I want the show to go on and give us answers at the end. I loved Jennifer Beals but PROOF sounds like a rip off of many shows we have seen before. I just hoped it survive. Well, its on TNT so maybe it will.
Flag
I am a happy paying HBO customer. I hope they keep bringing us great shows like True Detective and Game of Thrones.
Flag
USA has officially dropped the ball. Why in the hell would you let a talent like Roday and Hill and the rest of them get away from you. Dumb move. Sirens is okay, White Collar is circling the drain, Suits isn't that great anymore, Graceland isn't bad but we have no idea if it is going to be good this season, whatever that show Playing House is about, it looks horrible and that Reality Show that they keep running commercials on their site looks worse, like Kardashian level horrible.
Flag
I'm VERY EXCITED about the new McGruder show. Words cannot express...
Flag
Of course True detective is hbo's most watched, Its got two "known to be phenomenal" lead actors in it. Nothing shocking about that. I do think its weird that this is probably the best performance I've seen from Matt McCon-hey, but I've only seen a handful of his movies.
Flag
I think the only movie where I've liked him was that old dragon movie Reign of fire, where he played a military dude who's also a complete asshole. I couldn't stand him in movies where he was supposed to be likable, because he always made me dislike him right away. He's one of those people that make me think "what an asshole" the moment I see him.

I have also only seen a handful of his movies.
Flag
he seem to get caught up in the romantic comedy crap for a while. thats never a good thing.
Flag
I would think it is the retail job of male actors. Sometimes you have to do bad things in order to eat and further your career.
Flag
as they say, the goal of every actor is to work as an actor.
Flag
I'm surprised True Detective has done did that well, I'm a relatively patient viewer but I couldn't even finish the first episode. I might have done if not for someone telling me that the episodes didn't get much faster paced than that so I gave up about half way through. They'd only seen the first two or three episodes though so maybe things heat up? I don't know, I just wouldn't have guessed it couldn't have such wide appeal if it continued at that pace.
Flag
I felt exactly the same way I got through half of the first episode and I was like "I can't do this I'll come back to this" but a frenzy has seem to have grown around it so now that its over I'll watch em all back to back .
Flag
It took a while for me to get into them as well. I thought the first 2-3 were definitely too slow. There's a major action scene at the end of episode 4. After that, it didn't feel as slow, even though it probably was. Maybe it just helped to get to know the characters.

I also started started watching the episodes with subtitles at episode 3 or 4. Maybe that helped too, because there's a lot of mumbling going on, and sometimes it was hard to hear what they're saying. If you're downloading, subscene.com has the subtitles. I used the ones for 720p files that were "sync and corrected by n17t01", and thought they were done really well.
Flag
I thought Cosmos was a little dry. I like Tyson, but he seemed flat here. Sagan, despite comedians at the time making fun of him, I think did convey more of a sense of wonder. Also, it could be people are more familiar with space and time now than folks were when Sagan did his series. I don't know what new material they are adding, but obviously they have to be updating old information with new facts. I got bored and decided to possibly watch another time.

Bad enough CN reruns Tom and Jerry and Scooby Doo to death. Let's make more and rerun those to death too. This on top of a recent new Tom and Jerry Tales show. And yet another variation of Scooby??? Bring back the Secret Squirrel cartoon you did for 2 Stupid Dogs! How about new CGI Road Runner / Coyote cartoons you did for The Looney Tunes Show? Those were the best thing about that. Hope Wabbit is good. Saw the preview of Clarence. Please avoid - kind of creepy. I honestly don't get what they think kids (young or old) want to watch or will or why this odd stuff like Gumball or whatever that is. Guess I'm for the classics.

So Sidibe will not be returning to AHS?

Not a big fan of Roday, but the new gig seems a step down from Psyche. Would be funny if Maggie Lawson were the better half in that.
More+
Flag
Terrible timing for Cosmos. I was legitimately excited to watch it, but on Sunday Night it was 4th on my list of shows to watch just in that timeslot. No way they were getting 40 million viewers head to head against The Walking Dead and the True Detective finale.
Flag
Adult Swim's Black Jesus should be hilarious, but I'd love to see some more Boondocks episodes too.
I'm wondering if Louis C.K. is going to perform stand up instead of them having a music act on SNL. The very early episodes had stand up comics (Carlin) and other variety show like acts.
Flag
New Boondocks episodes start on April 21.
Flag
If Tim can afford HBO then TV.com is paying him too much.

Louis C.K.'s last stint as SNL host I thought went horribly. Even His monologue stand up began to bomb at no more than the half-way mark. Now go ahead and flame away as if your contrary opinions mean anything to me.
Flag
Tim could write HBO as a business expense. Lucky bastard.
Flag
Really? Tim earns every penny he gets for those of us who love his reviews. I hate one of the reviewers here. I don't run around bashing her, though, because other people love her - even if I do think she should be fired and barred from writing anything ever again.
Flag
I seriously don't know what Fox was thinking airing Cosmos at all, much less across multiple networks. This had next to no setup, it was a niche item, and the Starship of the Imagination really didn't come across well. This was a show that really needed to explain itself better up front before even airing.

How is it that Adult Swim is doing business with Aaron McGruder again without following through on the continuation of The Boondocks that they kept saying was coming? Live-action black Jesus in Compton might be interesting but likely will just be over-the-top.

Oh Roday, no. That sounds awful.

Any Louis CK in a storm, am I right?
Flag
Last thing I heard Boondocks was returning April 21. I don't think it's been delayed again.
Flag
Thanks for the intel, I hadn't heard it was finally going to be here. Only 4 years later, but I guess that fits, since season 2 was 2 years later, season 3 was 3 years after that, and now season 4.
Flag
I cannot conceive a world in which anything is better than Game of Thrones. Therefore the success of True Detective must be occurring in an alternative universe!
Flag
I'm sure the dismal--for the past 25 years, at least--SNL can even screw up Louis C.K. I won't be watching.
Flag
futile comment alert.
Flag
Good for True Detective! It deserves the numbers.
But on the other hand, do the ratings really matter in this empty void we call life? Committing to watching several episodes, even seasons, of a show is just a futile attempt to suppress the uneasy sensation of the meaninglessness of existence. The TV season is a circle that keeps fooling us into thinking that there is something better ahead, a promise of expanding consciousness, but ultimately it just forces us to repeat the same mistakes over and over again, while we maintain an illusion of getting closer towards the light while in fact we are sinking deeper towards infinite darkness.
Flag
Lol. I was expecting you to wrap that up with some kind of "flat circles" reference.
Flag
It's surreal to get such profundity out of an Archer avatar. Surreal is good.
Flag
Wow... so much truth in only that paragraph. Such deep thinking on this site is hard to find most of the time.
Flag
this made me smile. that was the intent, no?
Flag
Yes. I'd rather wish people would take it as a joke. I'm not severely depressed or anything.
Flag
Yeah...
Flag
Holy ****
Flag
Fox are idiots. They air Cosmos over 10 networks at the same time without bothering to re-air the ep throughout the week. I have to wait till Saturday in order to watch the 1st ep on a local channel.

There's really no point in saturating so many channels across the board with it if they don't go balls-out & rerun the shit out of it throughout the week on at least 2 or 3 of those 10 channels

If it fails, it's simply because they're fools
Flag
On Demand has it, if you get that, or similar, depending on cable system.

Hulu has it also and does not appear to be blocked or have a waiting period.
Flag
If you have basic cable, NatGeo has multiple repeat airings of Cosmos throughout the week.
Flag
NatGeo is simply not a part of my package. What's idiotic about the whole thing is that for the channels I do have, they aren't being re-aired at all. it's just plain stupid to segregate the reruns to a single channel when they have so many.

Meh. I'll just not worry about it & torrent it all for the rest of the run
Flag
I hear ya.
Flag
Also, I agree that the carpet bombing of Cosmos on so many channels at one time seems stupid. Airing it ten times simultaneously (7 Fox channels and 3 NG channels) is not a good programming move. Airing it on multiple channels is a fine idea, provided that the broadcasts are staggered / offset enough to give the maximum number of people plenty of opportunities to see it. (It would also give those who aren't interested in watching the series some other programming alternatives rather than forcing them to switch away from Fox or NG altogether. Oh well, no one ever said Fox was run by geniuses.) At least the NG channels offer a number of repeats, as I mentioned above.

Flag
Is it just me, or is Robert Patrick showing up everywhere these days?
Flag
Nope, it's not just you. I even looked out my window the other day and he was in my garden. Not doing anything, just standing there, milling about.
Flag
Another buddy-cop show? Sorry to say something this bitchy, but I expected more from Gilligan.
Flag
I thought I read somewhere that he wrote that pilot for CBS years ago, they just decided to film it or whatever now since Breaking Bad was such a hit.
Flag
Thank you for the info, it makes more sense now!
Flag
Since Cosmos shoves everything else down one hour, all the other shows are gonna suffer ratings declines too.

My biggest fear is that Fox looks at those ratings numbers and cancels Bob's Burgers, which is stuck at 7 until May......then replaces it with another Seth show. Which may have been his plan all along.
Flag
Fox already cancelled The Cleveland Show -- yay! -- and more recently quietly cancelled American Dad -- boo! -- but AD's void will be filled in by yet another Seth cartoon next season. Groan. Personally, I'd like to see a moratorium on all new SM shows for a few years. He's really overexposed. (By the way, TNT salvaged AD from the scrap heap and will run new episodes of it after the current season finishes up on Fox.)

The better news is that Bob's Burgers does indeed seem to be getting some love from Fox. It got an order for a full 22 episodes from the network this season (with 10 still left to air) and has already been renewed for a full 22-episode season next year. So relax and enjoy!

Flag
Hey how was True Detective's finale? I haven't cought up to it and I'm afraid of any spoilers in the review.
Flag
It got all sorts of reactions from "fantastic" to "very disappointing". I thought it was a good ending.
Flag
I think it was pretty good. no complaints at least.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:30 pm
    Judge Judy
    NEW
    CBS
  • 9:00 pm
    What Would You Do?
    NEW
    ABC
  • 10:00 pm