A True Detective Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on HBO

Mad Men star Elisabeth Moss may have something a little more sinister than Don Draper to deal with next year. The Emmy nominee is a frontrunner for one of television's most coveted roles: the female lead in the second season of HBO's True Detective, according to The Wrap.

Moss would play Ani Bezzerides, a sheriff from Monterey, California who has a history of alcohol and gambling addictions after suffering a difficult childhood. The role shouldn't be much of a stretch for Moss, who won a Golden Globe earlier this year for playing a small-town cop in Top of the Lake.

Battlestar Galactica and The Killing vet Michelle Forbes, who most recently appeared on Orphan Black, is also reportedly in talks for a role in True Detective's yet-to-be-formally-announced second season. She would play the wife or ex-wife of one of the male leads.

The news that Moss is being eyed for Season 2 follows Monday's reports that Vince Vaughn is in contention for a lead role. Previously rumored candidates Taylor Kitsch and Colin Farrell are allegedly still in discussions as well.

Who do you want to see in the cast of True Detective Season 2?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 8/9/2015

Season 2 : Episode 8

16 Comments
Comments (16)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Now this is a name to be excited about !

I was hoping for a bigger movie star though and I guess they are having problem getting movie stars. Perhaps Woody and Matthew could be their only lucky break.
Flag
YES! Bless. Love her and she would be excellent I'm sure!!!
Flag
Oh, so she can finally win an Emmy?
Flag
Yes to Elizabeth Moss, no to Michelle Forbes
Flag
haha I love that season 2 is so secret it isn't even (formally, as Tim said) confirmed it'll even exist... so stoked for this!
Flag
Jesus Christ, at this point I'm rumored to be joining season 2.

But seriously this is exciting! Moss was fantastic in Top of the Lake and this character sounds very similar, minus the wacky accent. (Not that the New Zealand accent is wacky, just her take on it was. My frame of reference for all of New Zealand is Flight of the Concords, btdubs.) Let's just steal Jonno away from The Bridge and he can be her partner and we can call it Top of the Lake 2.
Flag
Elizabeth Moss and Michelle Forbes! Finally some good casting news for this show.
Flag
Vince Vaughn in a serious role is a joke.. the guy cannot act outside of stupid rom coms...
I would be up for Elisabeth Moss though... one of the most under rated actresses of this generation.. there was almost deafening silence when she went on stage to collect her award for " Top of the Lake "... it was like no one knew who she was... I found it a bit demeaning....
She was great in that series... and of course her acting prowess shines through in Mad Men....
Flag
YES! to your Vince Vaughn comment.
Flag
Sounds like the right way to transition from Mad Men.
Flag
Perfect !
Flag
Yes to Elizabeth Moss or/and Colin Farrell or/and even Taylor Kitsch and so no to Vince Vaughn (sorry can't stand his duck-voice) ... and now who's next on this season 2 line ?
Flag
Well I suppose if they can't get Gillian Anderson then they are at least getting the next best thing. Moss was superb in Top of the Lake, she'll be a fantastic addition to the cast.
Flag
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Elisabeth Moss and Jennifer Lawrence would be amazing. I see HBO are starting to listen. (And for people who start at me about Lawrence, go watch Poker House and Winter's Bone and then come back to me).
Flag
The recent media attention on her because of her glamorous roles has actually swayed people's views on her, while in fact she is a great actress.... Winter's Bone was her breakthrough movie and I personally rate that movie very high... it was low key and hence almost ignored because of all the hoolah surrounding her lately...
Flag
Follow this Show
Members