A True Detective Community
Sunday 9:00 PM on HBO

HBO's True Detective hasn't even been officially renewed for a second season (but surely that's just a formality), but casting rumors have been circulating ever since Marty and Rust walked off screen after conversing about stars, darkness, and hope. First it was the scuttlebutt about female leads, then Jessica Chastain was reportedly offered a lead role and the internet pegged her as the Season 2 star (which was apparently news to her), and even Brad Pitt has been mentioned as a potential successor to Matthew McConaughey's bootprints. 

But now we can return to the comfort of knowing nothing, because the show hasn't yet started its Season 2 casting, according to True Detective creator Nic Pizzolatto. While speaking on the radio show To the Best of Our Knowledge on Sunday, Pizzolatto dropped a few details on Season 2 (at the very end of the extended interview), which sounds like it will be quite different from Season 1. 

The biggest change? There will be three lead characters instead of the two that dominated Season 1. "Right now, we're working with three leads," Pizzolatto said. And neither of them will be Rustin Cohle or Marty Hart. "The characters are all new, but I am deeply in love with all of them." 

Season 2 is also leaving the swamps of Louisiana for the varied terrain of California. "It takes place in California. Not in Los Angeles, but some of the lesser-known venues of California and we're going to try to capture a certain psychosphere ambience of the place, much like we did with Season 1." So yes, Season 2 will still be a crazy mind trip, just like Season 1 was.

Pizzolatto also said he has the whole second season mapped out, a couple scripts written, and that casting will begin "in earnest" in about a month. 

The dusty expanse of nothingness that is the Central Valley? The rocky, foggy coast near Big Sur? The gorgeous landscape of Lake Tahoe? A murder in Toontown at Disneyland? California is kind of big, so that's a lot of psychosphere possibilities. I'm in. 

HBO has yet to formally announce a second season of True Detective. Who are your (three!) ideal leads, and where do you want it to be set? 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 8/9/2015

Season 2 : Episode 8

109 Comments
Comments (109)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Me
Flag
Liv Tyler, Colin Morgan, and Brad Pitt
Flag
Brad Pitt, Jim Caviezel & Sarah Shahi
Flag
I think the answer is pretty clear.

Flag
Johnny Drama (entourage.. he needs work haha), McNulty (the wire) and Jessica Alba (any excuse). Looking to big blockbuster celebs for season 2 could seem desperate. If the script is anything like the first it'll be awesome
Flag
Sean Hayes, Whitney Cummings and Chelsea Handler.
If the people behind True Detective can't get a good performance out of them then no one can!

Seriously though...
*Bradley Whitford, Maggie Q and Lily Rabe... or
*Kate Mara (I love her, she's freaking insane), Michael K. Williams and Keith Carradine.

Would anyone else like to see how Matthew Perry would do in one of those roles?
Flag
More suggestions: Morgan Freeman, Tim Roth, Eva Green, Elisha Cuthbert, Matt Smith (that would be interesting to see), Kate Winslet, Taraji Henson, Idris Elba, Sean Bean, Gillian Jacobs.
Flag
Walton Goggins, Denzel Washington, Connie Britton, Viola Davis, Naomi Watts, Chris Evans (His work in Puncture is so underrated) Matt Damon, Angela Bassett, Tom Hanks, Michelle Pfeiffer (I would love to see her make a real dramatic comeback) There are just too many.
Flag
Not sure with California as the best location The Mentalist use it and it just full of rich snobs and graduates not the macabre people of Louisiana , I hope Brad Pitt does it and like Stephanos Stav choices although please no Kate Winslet !
Flag
You don't know what your talking about. The California desert is full of "macbre" people. Cali has a vast and diverse landscape of people, places, and ideas. Great choice for season 2
Flag
Well in the Mentalaist California is full of rich socialiates killing each off left right and centre but if this show does prove is that it is different so you never know ?
Flag
While all the love for John Noble and Anna Torv is certainly well-deserved, Joshua Jackson was equally superb on Fringe, and I think he would be great as the younger detective!
Flag
Jackson is great, but I think Torv, Noble and Lance Reddick would make a fantastic trio.
Flag
My ideal choices

Men: Brad Pitt (Seven) , Denzel Washigton, Michael Douglas, Leo Dicaprio or Bruce Willis.

Women:
Naomi Watts, Charlize Theron,Kate Winslet or Amy Adams.
Flag
You're not looking to spend too much money on the leads then ;)
Flag
Shout out to McConaughey !!
Young Rust: Nailed it. Old Rust: Best performance of the year !!

Assuming they didn't have conflicts:
Spacey
Roth
Billy Bob

Dealers choice on who's the "bad guy", cuz they're all GREAT !!

Modesto, CA (A counter to the TV nostalgia surrounding the town).

Flag
Lorne Malvo.
Flag
Yeah! whenn will the second season start?
Flag
I don't care, I just want it back! :)
Flag
Cant wait !
Flag
Among the 'old money' of Santa Barbra.
Flag
I would choose the 17 mile drive for that.
Flag
James Roday, Dule Hill, and Timothy Osmundson?
Flag
I cant remember if I watched the whole season
Flag
Oh, you'd remember Carcosa!
Flag
Eh. I feel like there aren't a ton of new psychospheres to mine in California since only about half of all TV shows take place there, but it's True Detective so OF COURSE I'm in. And lets get some ladies up in this b!

Gonna miss Rust and his boatload of crazy, though :(
Flag
I hope Season 2 is just as good, that 6 minute scene s going to be hard to top. Rust was the man,
Flag
In better news, season one comes out on blu-ray June 10th.
Flag
I have no clue in what world but I found this show so freaking boring noting in it even remotely was holding my interest. Just another boring cop show with T and T and even worst set in 1995-2012.
Flag
Well in my opinion True Detective is a masterpiece, at the same time harsh and beautifully poetic. We should all be grateful that it raised the bar so high and gave new dignity to a tv genre stale and beaten to death thanks to the various CSIs and NCISs
Flag
Season 1 was just fing brilliant. The dialogue, the monologues just every minute captavating and pure awesomeness. (except maybe the end that was a bit underwhelming).
So I will definitely watch Season 2 but i think it will be hard to produce something of equal greatness. But hey you never know and maybe HBO surprises me.
Flag
San Francisco 1970s, zodiac type killer, targeting same sex couples, three lead characters played by Rosario Dawson, Chow Yun Fat and Sean Penn - called it! Haha!
Flag
Anything with San Francisco is good in my eyes. One of the most beautiful cities in the world.
Flag
the place should be around la honda california - the time should be the mid to late sixties - and should include some of the famous acid tests being conducted by owsley stanley and ken kesey. now THAT would be a "trip"...
Flag
Do not forget Timothy Leary. Not related to the 'Death' but my favourite group Pink Floyd dedicated a song to him in the sixties.
Flag
Is Pink Floyd your favourite group? We have something else in common!
Flag
As for the place, I'd say Napa Valley . but really there are a whole lot of remote small towns and places that urge to be dumping grounds.

Flag
It can be about the Black Dahlia case that was linked by some to the Torso Murders in 1934 which Eliot Ness investigated. Both remain the most famous unsolved murders in the history of both cities. Maybe a dual investigation in both cities converge somewhere where a second victim is found after these many years. and then a new victim killed the same way by a copy cat and here you are with three investigation and three detectives, a "hard woman", and a great story.
As for the actors I would like to see Brad Pitt ( who was just so great in Seven), Denzel Washington ( amazing in Fallen ) and Jodie Foster (tremendous in The Silence of the Lambs ). Look me in the eyes and dare tell me this is not the Dream Team for True Detective. Ha! I thought so.
Flag
Interesting ideas!
Flag
California does have some interesting underdeveloped areas. I'll be excited where they decide to go. Can't wait to see who will be cast as well.
Flag
I hope this time around one of the lead will be the culprit. It will put a nice new perspective to the proceedings.
Flag
Not a likely scenario, but I'd love to see Benicio Del Toro and Ryan Phillippe reunite on screen again. Then maybe someone like Rebecca Hall or Andrea Riseborough as the third.
Flag
Don't care. I won't be watching.
Flag
that's nice, so why did you bother to read the article and reply?
Flag
Well some people exist only to cause pain, suffering, and annoyance to others. O look that was a main pillar of the show.
Flag
This is pretty random but I'd love to see together Jodie Foster, Jeremy Renner and Rosario Dawson
Flag
Denzel Washington, Amy Adams, Bruce Campbell
Flag
I suppose the murders will be at Pebble Beach. One victim thrown in the ocean, one hanged from a tree and one killed by pushing him/he down a hole. So three different detectives need to cooperate to get these different murders solved.

I am going to check out the location in a few weeks so I will be able to report who is filming over there.
Flag
What about Price Peterson, Cory Barker and Kaitlin Thomas? I will be so excited about the reviews Tim will write!
Flag
Is this the moment where Rolamb officially lost his mind?
Flag
Nope, had already been gone for long time. I'm still looking for it so if somebody finds it, give me a pm.
Flag
Can you describe the item in question, please?
Flag
No sorry, would need a brain for that.
Flag
Cory Barker is brutally murdered in the season opener, having failed to prove any usefulness as a detective, but exceeding industry standards as a murder victim. Kailin Thomas is unable to empathize with Cory's death and seeks out further insight by researching how other people she didn't care about may have died. The only coherent level of deduction comes from Price Peterson, as he pieces the entire case together by photo recapping the entire crime scene on the walls of a storage unit... in his own blood!
Flag
Don't forget sbout Noel, what part shall he plays?
Flag
While not a detective, Noel Kirkpatrick will play a psychologist who is able to make some sense in the wild photo captions by comparing them with scribblings from his current patient, Lily Sparks, who exhibits similar levels of reality-detachment and an affinity for captioning photos. Noel will then go on to have Lily interact with Price in the bloodied storage unit, after several troubling hours spent keeping from them mixing their blood together to finger-paint spirit animals all over the case photos. At some point, as we all know, it will become more and more apparent that Tim Surette has been a very bad boy and gone to great lengths to make us all believe he put a great deal of time and thought into his nefarious work. Even though, we as the viewers, will all know that wasn't true.
Flag
Staff
I would be the shrink in the police procedural. I'M COMING FOR YOU, J.K. SIMMONS.
Flag
Price photo recapping a crime scene and adding his own caption. LOL. I would love to read that.
Flag
That'll be odd to see Brad Pitt on my TV if that happens... XD;; I'm still baffled Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey was on my TV... MY TV... LOL
Flag
I have no idea who my ideal cast would be at the moment, but I am really excited for season 2. It's really cool that Nic Pizzolatto is so into it that he already has some scripts written and the season mapped out. Can't wait to see it!
Flag
Great, another show set and filmed in California because the other 100 just weren't enough.
Flag
As long as it's not in LA I'm game. I'm sure Pizzolatto will chose the best setting for season 2, that man can make sceneries talk :)
Flag
True Detective: Bombay Beach.
Flag
With Dominic West, Sandra Oh, Alexis Arquette.
Flag
Charlotte Gainsbourg, Gary Dourdan, Daniela Sea.
Flag
One actress I'd love to see more would be Emmanuelle Chriqui. Think she may be too beautiful for the heavy subject matter though!
Flag
That's beautiful-person-ist!
Flag
Got me there, sorry! Maybe she could be joined by Marie Avgeropoulos (another stupidly hard to pronounce name!)
Flag
Pizzolatto has already said that season two will be about "hard women, bad men and the secret occult history of the United States transportation system", and in a radio interview he said that it will be set in a "much lesser known venue" in California (i.e. not LA). But if I ignore that and just allow myself to fantasize, ignoring the part about the transportation system, these are my choises for places:

First I was thinking about True Detective: Wyoming or Idaho. But then I thought, why not True Detective: Hawaii? On a more serious note, these are the actors I would like to be considered for the parts:

Women:
1. Jennifer Connelly
2. Evan Rachel Wood
3. Winona Ryder
4. Rooney Mara
5. Maggie Grace
6. Anna Torv (Couldn't help it. She hasn't worked since Fringe. The woman needs a job.)

Men:
1. Edward Norton
2. Benicio Del Toro
3. Joseph Gordon-Levitt
4. Michael B. Jordan
5. Jeremy Davies
Flag
Rooney Mara, Evan Rachel Wood, Ed Norton and Del Toro are awesome choices because one of the most important elements an actor should bring to a role on TD is gravitas. All of your choices have shown they can bring it in spades. It just helps in highlighting the tone and mood of the show.
Flag
Longmire is set in Wyoming and looks great (Don't think its shot there though). I like Anna Torv but not sure she has the acting chops for something this intense?
Flag
Correction: after some research I discovered that Ryan Murphy has landed a drama pilot on HBO called "Open". Apparently Anna Torv has a starring role on the show, along with big names like Jennifer Jason Leigh (Torv's love interest on the show), Jaimie Alexander, Aisha Tyler, Michelle Monaghan, Scott Speedman and Wes Bentley. Considering the crazy ideas that Ryan has been able to get away with in the past, I'm looking very much forward to what he will present on HBO, a network known for its raciness.
Flag
I agree about Anna and her acting chops. But I just had to give her a pity vote because of her apparently stalled career. Or maybe she is doing some stage work at the moment.
Flag
I agree with you there. Fringe was great!
Flag
Imagine if they could cast Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman and Kevin Spacey as the three leads...
Flag
Nonsense, those three could never work well together with those egos. Unfortunately there'll never be a movie/TV show with that triple billing.
Flag
those three have worked together in se7en just saying it was superb
Flag
No I'm sure I would've remembered that. You must be thinking of someone else.
Flag
I can't believe even IMDB has it wrong. I've never seen it make a mistake before.
Flag
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114369/?ref_=nv_sr_1 duh!! i know i am right btw if you haven't seen the movie you better watch it
Flag
Morgan Freeman, John Noble, Bryan Cranston
Flag
Unfortunately, Noble will probably be busy with Sleepy Hollow.
Flag
No fair, the case would be solved before the murderer could even find a victim.
Flag
Cranston did it.
Flag
Ideally I'd like the leads to be truly well-established like Matthew and Woody and I don't think Chastain fits that bill. I think Her popularity fading is only a matter of time.

Born and raised in San Diego county and loving it, ever since moving to the desert 10 years ago the desert has become my favorite. There's just something I enjoy about the ridiculous heat and I think it has generally been solidly used in film before. plus you know there be crazies in the desert and it be vast if they're going for rural again.
Flag
Vincent Gallo, Mary-Louise Parker, RuPaul.
Flag
I'd watch the shit out of that for the weirdness.
Flag
Sounds interesting however I have to question expanding it to three leading roles. Two was sufficient, in fact two was more than sufficient because we went through the story and were still left with open threads. Adding another full time character will spread the coverage around and potentially leave the writers with more open threads that they won't be able to close given the short amount of episodes and time that they have to accomplish their season.

That was really my only complaint, well that and the silliness of Rust's metaphysical darkness considering that he limited his scope of thought to only the light that we can see. But I could go on for a while about that one.

As for who I would like to see.

I have to agree with Sleepy-sonic. I would like to see Alison Brie. She is fantastic actress regardless of how good she looks, she is more than that and I would love to see her not fall into the rom/com slash comedy movies scene and I would like for her to have a break out role.

I would also like to see Idris Elba or even Ruth Wilson break out more in the US. Both are phenomenal and could easily handle the writing of this show.

Giancarlo Esposito has an opening now that they finally put Revolution out of our misery.

Regina King has an opening since TNT stupidly did away with SoutLand.

Alan Tudyk

The list could go on and on
More+
Flag
I agree completely about Alison Brie!
Flag
Alan Tudyk for the villain, yes!
Flag
Alan Tudyk for anything. He really changed my mind about him with his guest spot on Justified, it was one of the only good things about this season.
Flag
Yes to Idris Elba, the guy is phenomenal.
Flag
If there's three leads though, then one can get killed off before the finale..

Good call on Idris Elba; I would love to see Stringer Bell again.. HBO has a track record of giving continued work to past favorites so it's not impossible.
Flag
Gillian Anderson, David Duchovny and Mitch Pileggi.
Flag
Gillian Anderson will probably (hopefully) have a bigger role in Hannibal next season.
Flag
Alison Brie - I would love to see her play some dark character.
Jennifer Carpenter - Maybe she can play the positive character for a change.
Hugh Laurie - I know this won't happen but he would be great choice.
Flag
Very interesting selection. Thumbs up for that.
Flag
Staff
I'm out.
Flag
cya.
Flag
I'm defenitly in, no matter who is cast, how many leads and what gender distribution.

Season 1 was so awsome, if season 2 is only half as good, it will still be better that most scripted content on TV,
Flag
Even if the new leads drink whisky?
Flag
Good riddance.
Flag
Out of what?
Flag
Explanation, please.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members