A Turn Community
Monday 9:00 PM on AMC

Recently, AMC debuted a new original program titled Turn. It follows the story of America's first spy ring during the their revolution for independence. Now, following TV.com's habit of rating shows based on their first four episodes, here is my take at the 4-episode test.

Episode 1: 4 stars

Episode 2: 4 stars

Episode 3: 4.5 stars

Episode 4: 4 stars

So far, I have been really liking the series. The acting is really great, and Jamie Bell is fantastic as Abraham Woodhull. The story and characters have kept me interested and the writing has been consistent throughout the four episodes we've seen.

In Kaitlin's original review of the pilot, she felt that the show lacked a bigger scope and grayer villains. I agree that the show has yet to show us any more faces to the war besides Setauket, New York, and Connecticut, but it has been building up in the last few episodes with an incoming battle and the appearance of George Washington. And it seems to me that the Loyalists get more serpentine then the Patriots considering Abe's father is one of them.

If you haven't caught up to Turn yet, I suggest you do. The show has the potential to be a great series and it has been getting better. I know some people were put-off because they already knew how the story ended, but the journey has been very entertaining. So, at least do your DVR a favour and free some space by watching Turn, you may find yourself surprised.
43 Comments
Comments (43)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
we finally saw Washington! about time;-)
Flag
Just saw the 5th episode Epiphany and loved it, I guess on the face of it there was the disappoint factor of not seeing the battle at Trenton but I can understand the budget constraints this show is under and it tells a different spy story not a war story in any case.

Whilst not American or overly familiar with the War for Independence I did see the movie "The Crossing" with Jeff Daniels as Washington [cool movie] which pretty much shows the battle and demonstrates what a huge turning point this was, obtaining the Hessians weaponry and stores enabled the rebels to avoid dissolving completely and endure through winter and afterward replenish their ranks and resolve to fight the war with far better strategies.

Jamie Bell as Woodhull is just glorious to watch as you see the gears turn in his head, the risks his character takes, the associated fear and you consistently feel the weight of his sacrifice and decisions he takes for himself and everyone he tries to keep safe. His associates on Washington's end are equally engaging and despite the story's perspective I can't help cheer for them and when Washington acknowledged the value of the intelligence I felt like fist pumping the air in front of the TV haha :-)

Angus McFadden is amazingly absorbing and I can't wait to see what his character is up to each week and feel cheated when he gets little or no screen time. In fact, credit to all the "bad guys" in this drama, whether they are sadistic, conniving or buffoonish, they all do an exceptional and quality job but unfortunately we know the war ends and this show can only last as long as the events are depicted, which is a crime! Can this story be dragged out for twenty seasons? I can only hope so.

More+
Flag
Everyone knew how Titanic ended but it still pulled in the billions.
Flag
Can someone tell me if Turn is up to Breaking Bad, Mad Men, or Walking Dead caliber? It's not my normal cup of tea, but I've been wondering about it since it's AMC and AMC rocks. If it's as good as any of these other ones, I'm definitely going to check it out! I'd love people's thoughts...
Flag
I would say no, it is not in the same caliber as those other shows, but season 1 of Breaking Bad wasn't in the same caliber as season 5.
Flag
Thank you so much for your reply. That's what I'm worried about - it will turn out to be great and I'm going to have to catch up on the first season while season 2 is airing! Hmmmm...
Flag
I would say it is nowhere near the budget of those shows so it must be limited in the opulence of set design and action sequences, it is also constrained by the fact that it adheres to historical facts and is not some fiction where they can change direction or make popular for successive seasons. What I will say is the quality of acting and the casting is at least a equal to those shows and the conflicts/drama as pressing.
Flag
I've rarely seen a character so entwined in a web of conflicting loyalties as Jamie Bell's Abraham Woodhull. Every choice he makes is going to hurt someone he loves or himself. In one man, we see the terrible pressures that being part of a revolution puts on those who live through it.

I find myself wondering if I would do the right thing in similar circumstances. It is quite compelling, and has given me a deeper appreciation of what the Americans faced to win their new country.
Flag
Abe's inner struggle is waht drives this show, the writers and Jamie Bell are doing a very good job portraying his difficulties.
Flag
I'm loving this show. I turn in to see the relationship between Richard and Abe more than anything. I quite like the strained relationship Abe has with his father, or I just love the scenes between Jamie Bell and Kevin McNally.
Flag
I think all the points Ian made are spot on and I am definitely enjoying the show.
Flag
Again I'm not an American. This is all I learned in school about the show's subject:

"1776 - Independence of The United States. It influenced the French Revolution in 1789."

(Just how we learned things: straight to facts and dates.) Oh, and then we went to study the French Revolution for the next three weeks.

I first paid attention to the subject when I was a foreign exchange student in California in 1979. I heard of the bicentennial celebrations back in '76. I even remember some 1776-1976 commemorative coins. You'll probably find them in circulation still, I imagine.

Anyway, the way I learned it seems like the American Independence took place in a cordial meeting in which the British and the Americans signed an accord while having tea and cookies.

I've long learned that, in fact, there was a war that lasted years and it wasn't easy. However, i'm starting to realize a few other facts:

- Not all Americans were fighting for independence. In fact I'm guessing most were Loyalists. The "Rebels" seems like a dissident group of trouble makers. Perhaps at some point later, the Independence movement took over the general population.

- The Americans, even without a country of their own yet, had a regularly constituted army with ranks, career officers, and uniforms. Which means it wasn't a guerrilla or a militia war. It was a war between two armies. Now I imagine how the British would allow a colony to have its own army. That's inviting trouble, in my opinion. But I think that's because the British simply didn't have enough manpower to manage all that large territory and needed a local army to police the population and reinforce the British rule. I suppose the local army would report to British officers for orders.

- At some point, part of the population, some key local economic forces and the army must have rebelled against British domain (most probably about taxes) and the Revolution started. But that would disturb things a big deal. Wars are not pretty and the instability it causes can ruin lots of important people. so understandably, many big shots would want things to remain exactly the way they were under British rule.

Oh, boy. I gotta take a crash course on American History if I want to follow this show...
More+
Flag
Not being and American myself I had a pretty vague idea of the American Revolution. I never learnt about it during high school so this show is my first substantial lesson on the topic.
Flag
This and Sleepy Hollow, of course!
Flag
On another note could someone clear up whether the loyalist, patriot traitor or whatnot guy we saw at the end was Charles Lee? The one they "tortured" with the actress.

Flag
Yes, he is in fact Charles Lee, and his tortures is Major John André.
Flag
Slimey bugger that one!
Flag
It feels a little bit like "Black Sails" with all the potential, and I'm hoping that it doesn't let me down like Black Sails did.
Flag
How have I not heard anything about this show at all? I mean I haven't even seen the review on the front page! Strange. Definitely one to look into for me.
Flag
You should definitely check it out, it could turn out to be one of the greatest new series of the year.
Flag
Well, it is no The Americans, but it is still worth watching.

Spycraft in those times certainly was less gadget-y than in the 80's like with The Americans. That makes good writing and good storylines more important to keep things interesting and mooving foreward. I think, so far, the show has achieved that.

I will defenitly keep watching.
Flag
Sleepy Hollow is about all the American History I can take. Still muscling up energy to tackle the pilot.
Flag
LOL. Ichabod would be quite upset over your lack of interest.

Flag
Hey, if you know how the story ends, put a spoiler warning, please. I hate spoilers!

I'm not American, so I was open to the idea, but with reservations. I watched the pilot and found it hard to understand some parts, and who all those characters were. I had problems to figure out exactly who was British, who was American, who was on whose side. So I was determined not to keep watching.

But then I saw episode 2 and things got clearer, and now at episode 4, things are much clearer. So I decided to keep watching. It's a good drama with solid writing and acting. And it's an excellent followup for Salem, because the mood for a period piece is already established.
Flag
Well in case you didn't understand who's who, I would suggest research prior to watching but if things are clearer now maybe that won't be necessary.
Flag
Good idea. Perhaps an AMC page will provide basic info on the characters. English is not my first language, but I speak it fluently (along with three other languages, actually). I don't have problems understanding what people say, but i'm hard to catch all the accent subtleties. Plain American, and formal British are easy enough, but there seems to be a lot of stuff in between. (I'm facing a similar problem with Salem.) Just what sort of accent does Abraham have?
Flag
Pretty sure it's Irish (don't quote me on that)... or at least a little bit. As for the character, I think they'll establish themselves pretty well in the show! What I would research, would probably be the red coats in general and the patriots to get an overview of the two sides and what they want so that you get a clearer picture of everything.
Flag
Well, so I'm not that bad. I thought Irish! But then thought he was supposed to be born American and his father doesn't sound Irish at all, so... Oh, well...
Flag
I'm watching episode 4 tomorrow and so far I'm enjoying the show.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members