Twilight Zone (2002) Forums

UPN (ended 2003)

Why the show failed.

365_days_gone

[1]Aug 27, 2007
    • level: 5

Personally I think it was because there were three kinds of episodes...

sad ones ... with morals to the stories, a happy ending, etc. Examples: Homecoming, Developing, Memphis.

Funy ones...simply for comedic purposes. Examples: How Much Do you Love Your Kid, Gabe's Story.

And suspensful ones...One Night at Mercy, Sunrise, etc.

I think most people wanted to see SUNSPENCFUL and SCARY episodes. Not funny, or sappy episodes. Who watches Twilight Zone for comedy? That's my opinion.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

gar2710

[2]Aug 28, 2007
    • level: 3

I disagree.

Firstly, the episode 'How much do you like your kid?' wasn't merely a humorous episode. It explored the darker side of reality television, and the exteremes that television producers will go to.

I think the reason the show failed was because it wasn't ground breaking enough. The fifties/sixties TZ was brand new and like nothing on television. By the time the noughties version came around, it seemed rather stale and old comapred to other television shows.

Taker101

[3]Sep 23, 2007
    • level: 7
    I believe the show aired on fridays wich probably dident let it find an audience. I agree with the first post, the scary episodes were probably the best tho homecoming was one of my favourites

siftybastard

[4]Oct 19, 2007
    • level: 19

Another reason was (in my opinion) that Forest Whitaker just didn't have the presence that Rod Serling did, as a narrator. Rod was casual and talking to the audience like a friend, where as Forest was pushing a point, and i felt it didn't work.

Sorry Forest. Love your acting, but your narration sucks.

puddleglum5999

[5]Jul 25, 2008
    • level: 6

Taker101 wrote:
    I believe the show aired on fridays wich probably dident let it find an audience. I agree with the first post, the scary episodes were probably the best tho homecoming was one of my favourites

I don't remember what day of the week it aired, but the network definitely didn't give it time to find its audience. I remember reading somewhere that the original was never a ratings hit, per se, and 50 years later most people recognize it as one of the best series ever. I may be in the minority here, but I actually liked this show better than the '80s remake, simply because it seemed to hit a little closer to the spirit of the original, at least in terms of story quality. I appreciated the fact that most of the scary stories--at least the ones I saw, I missed a few episodes--relied more on psychological horror than blood and gore.

dojodan444

[6]Aug 6, 2008
    • level: 10

I never watched this series back in 02. I'm familiar with the original of course, but was never that big of a fan. However, I've really been enjoying watching these in syndication recently. It reminds me a little of Outer Limits which I used to watch so regularly until I had nearly every episode memorized! I think the show probably failed back in 02/03 because it never found an audience. I'm a Sci Fi fan and honestly I don't ever remember the show. I probably thought it would be too similar to the original and therefore I wasn't interested in something like that. But as I said, this series reminds me more of Outer Limits more so than the original TZ.

Gislef

[7]Aug 27, 2008
    • level: 101
    It aired on Wednesday nights.

dojodan444

[8]Sep 3, 2008
    • level: 10
    siftybastard wrote:

Another reason was (in my opinion) that Forest Whitaker just didn't have the presence that Rod Serling did, as a narrator. Rod was casual and talking to the audience like a friend, where as Forest was pushing a point, and i felt it didn't work.

Sorry Forest. Love your acting, but your narration sucks.

Totally disagree on this one. I like the opening and closing narration very much. And the idea of having Forest walk around on the set at the beginning and closing of the episodes - great idea! Really makes the story seem 3-dimensional. Forest is real, he is there - but the others are not, they are in the Twilight Zone.

Gislef

[9]Sep 3, 2008
    The main problem is that the original show was basically created, written, and supervised by one man: Rod Serling.

Now that the show is running in syndication in my area, I'm updating the crew credits. And... look at them. The new version was designed by committee. You've got 10 executive and co- and consulting and supervising producers per episode. Folks like Pen Densham cut their teeth on Outer Limits, so it's hardly surprising the new TZ seemed a lot like the new OL.

Part of it is that it comes across as just another Canadian-produced show, just like OL. And part of it was that they did s.f. a bit too much: Serling was never what you'd call a serious s.f. writer. That helped to blur it with the new OL.

Serling did plenty of comedy and sappy stories (even if his comedy stuff wasn't very funny). "Gabe's Story" is funnier than anything Serling ever did.

Overall, I think the new version ran about even, maybe a little poorer, than the original. Folks tend to remember the gems that Serling produced, and forget the lousy comedy ("Cavender is Coming," "Mr. Bevis," "Mr. Dingle the Strong"), the long plodding hour-long 4th season stuff, and the later fifth-season episodes when he ran out of things to say.

And part of it is simply that it ain't Serling that worked on it.

Gislef

[10]Oct 10, 2008
    And part of it was that they seemed to be aiming at the young/hip African-American audience a bit too much. Besides Whitaker, we had a story about a tagger. And a rapper. And a college professor. And a time-traveling engineer. And a policeman. And Method Man. All in fairly sympathetic roles.

By comparison, we had... what, one Hispanic (in "The Pool Guy") and he was a bad guy.

And a lot of SFWs.

And several young happening white guys who usually were unsympathetic jerks.

And... no Asians.

Seems like they were trying a bit too hard to aim at a couple of key demographics.

spongebobs1fan

[12]Feb 10, 2009
    • level: 21
    365_days_gone wrote:

Personally I think it was because there were three kinds of episodes...

sad ones ... with morals to the stories, a happy ending, etc. Examples: Homecoming, Developing, Memphis.

Funy ones...simply for comedic purposes. Examples: How Much Do you Love Your Kid, Gabe's Story.

And suspensful ones...One Night at Mercy, Sunrise, etc.

I think most people wanted to see SUNSPENCFUL and SCARY episodes. Not funny, or sappy episodes. Who watches Twilight Zone for comedy? That's my opinion.

I totally agree.