Twilight Zone (2002)

Night Route

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Oct 02, 2002 on UPN

• A womans life seems to be unravelling after narrowly she narrowly avoids being run over

This episode is much cleverer than I first gave it credit for. It initally seems to be a run-of-the-mill yarn, with that cliche of a character unaware he has died, but evolved into something much better than that.
    A young woman and her dog are nearly hurt in a car accident, after which they see a bus full of scary looking people. The bus continues to haunt the engaged English teacher. Her memory begins to alter, and total strangers seem to know her. The climax to the story is great, so I don't want to spoil it, but I'll say that it wraps up all the elements in the story, and shows that the womans perfect life has in a way, passed her by like the bus.
    With interesting symbolism, and the classic 'i'm-seeing-things-no-one-else-can' plot of many twilight zone episode, this is a real treat of an episode.
  • Definitely one of the best of the series...

Yeah this is one of the better episodes in my opinion. I think like most people I thought I had the story figured out when the bus was stopping for her and when you hear the literary illusion to Emily Dickinson. Of course, the bus is death - she is trying to hold onto her life. But we know it's only a matter of time until she must get on the bus and await her fate. This is why she is so hesitant to get on the bus, because she like the rest of us were fooled! The bus isn't death, it's life.