Twilight Zone (2002)

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Nov 20, 2002 on UPN

• Underdeveloped, weak, goofy

While the initial concept, and the parable of modern-day living, is a potentially good idea, the plot is horribly rushed and the two leads aren't that interesting. Within two minutes of montages after meeting, they're falling in love and in the pool, Marisa's character totally abandoning her fiancé. So "live in innocence" = cheating on your fiancé? Okay... Neither Berkley nor Estes are good enough actors to convince us these are people capable of falling in love with each other. Nicki Aycox isn't bad, but again her "temptation" is too rushed. She nags them each once, the Scott character gives in, bang, story over. This might have made a stronger story with an hour to flesh out the characters. The first 15 minutes could have been setup. We never see how bad their lives are: we just hear them talk about them. The TV paradigm is "show, don't tell." Out of the 45 minutes, split that between slowly bonding and Rikki doing a slower subtler job of temptation. Then again, maybe that would drag things out too much. Oh for the 80s TZ when they could do a 45 minute episode and a 15 minute one: 45 would work about right.