Twilight Zone (2002)

The Monsters Are on Maple Street

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Feb 19, 2003 on UPN

7.9
  • Pointless remake

Sorry, but this rewrite of Serling's classic script just doesn't work. For one thing, Andrew McCarthy doesn't play his character as particularly sympathetic. Willever's character is a one-dimensional bully. The rest of the mob except for the somewhat quirky Phyllis are pretty forgettable.

The rewrite folks seem to have forgotten that the title refers to _Monsters_. The original not only had aliens as the source of the problems, but the neighbors were paranoid about aliens. Maybe the rewriters thought in these "modern" days that aliens wouldn't have the same resonance. Maybe they just wanted to make a comment about terrorism and the War therein.

This episode shares more with another original TZ episode: The Shelter. Like that episode, this one is non-fantastical and it has everyone turning into a jerk.

This remake also suffers the flaw of the original Monsters... in that they somehow try to portray each neighborhood as an island totally separate from the neighboring blocks. Just hop over the backyard fence, folks.

Overall, there seems little point in this remake. Unlike the remade Eye of the Beholder, they tried to do something different. They just didn't make much difference.
  • A perciveed terrorist threat by an ill-informed community results in great paranoia

This episode does a good job of highlighting how in today sociaty when people are leaving in fear can easily be turned into witch hunt. It shows how reason seems to be trumped by fear and how easy it is to convince poeple into becoming monsters. As the narrator says at the end when we dont find the enemy we make one ourselves in order to fill like we have a level of control over things, though i believe this to be true this episode how ever comes up shot in its conclusion because in the end we never know who the real monster is, whether it is the military for not stoping the situation in time or the community for act out of paranoia
  • Meaningful Paranormal?

Great episode, and it shows a meaning too. This was the first Twilight episode I've ever seen since my ex Language Arts teacher showed it to our class. And it was a good episode, just thought the acting needed a little bit more work. Maybe they should have let them rehearse their lines more? Anyways, the names are so confusing, but the message is real. It's hard to explain the message this episode gives us so I'll try to put words together to make sense. The message is that if a disaster happens, we go around blaming other innocent people instead of just helping each other. Violence breaks loose.

I think I got my words right. Maybe a prolific user can review better.

I recommend this episode for everyone because of the message and what all.