Twin Peaks

Episode Four "The One-Armed Man"

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM May 03, 1990 on ABC

• Smoke & Mirrors

This is a solid, well-done episode. It is nicely paced and contains more action and plot development than the previous episode, which was a bit too talky. A good example of a non-Lynch directed episode.

The set-ups are nicely done and the framing and composition of the shots are first rate. I particularly liked the noir feel of the scene where Cooper questions the One-Armed Man, filmed low and showing the ceiling of the motel looming high over the characters.

The writing is compact and efficient. We move from scene to scene with a minimum of dawdling and little time wasted in unnecessary exposition. There is a lot of humor in this episode that manages to be quirky without going over the top. Some of the funnier moments for me include: Andy dropping his gun just before the police crash into the One-Armed man's motel room; Cooper coming face to face with a curious llama; and Bobby spitting out his gum when Shelly shows him the lingerie she is wearing beneath her uniform.

It's interesting that nearly every young female character has two guys chasing after her and the women as a whole seem to possess a calm sense of power over the men around them. A lot of the women are like this in Lynch's work as a whole.

The only thing that I didn't particularly care for in this episode is the final scene between Josie and Pete, which seemed to drag on for no apparent payoff. And the supposed cliffhanger revelation that Hank has some sinister connection with Josie was more yawn-inducing that exciting.