Twin Peaks

Episode Twenty-Nine "Beyond Life And Death" (2)

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Jun 10, 1991 on ABC

• Absolutely mind-blowing. A landmark in television.

Whoever said Twin Peaks lost the plot in the second season must definitely agree that the series final is an exception. This hour of television is absolutely brilliant. It is well-constructed and shot, with so many top-notch performances and a great script, which in some ways answers some questions for fans, but in another, throws so many more questions out there that it's almost frustrating.

I was worried that Lynch and Frost would find it difficult to serve the needs of all the characters in this limited finale. However, i think they manage quite well. Take for example, Andy and Lucy, whose plot line is summed up in one minute. And it is done SO perfectly. Nadine's story, though predictable, seems so right. However, in perfect Lynchian style, we are left with massive questions. What is the fate of Ben Horne? How about Audrey Horne? Is the Agent Cooper we see in the final sequence really Agent Cooper, or a doppelganger?

It was great to see old favourites come back as well, but i very much missed Piper Laurie, who didn't even get a look in.

For a TV series, this finale could work as a movie. The Black Lodge sequence is so well cut together, well-lit, and as mentioned before, the performances really stand out. Surprisingly, it also wasn't too hard to follow, with Lynch's obscure dialogue making sense to me most of the time.

If you haven't seen this series, you must. Even if you are one of the people who didn't like Season 2 (i for one loved it), stick it out for this final episode. It is more than worth it.