Twin Peaks Forums

ABC (ended 1991)

Complete Series DVD Set?

Signal2Noise

[1]Apr 2, 2007
    • level: 7

I know S2 is released tomorrow which I will certainly be buying. However, in the local paper there was an article discussing S2's pending release but also alluded to the fact that there is a "much-rumoured" Complete Series box set coming out "later this year". That's all the information that was provided. No mention about the pilot episode being included either. The reviewer basically said that fans may want to wait in buying S2 because of the possibility of the complete series being issued.

Anyone hear or read about this?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

grailwolf

[2]Apr 2, 2007
    • level: 55
    I haven't heard anything about this yet, and I scour the web for info about this show. If such a set were planned then I imagine we would have heard at least a rumor of it by now. There is certainly no word from TVShowsonDVD.com, and they're usually about the first site that distributes Twin Peaks info nowadays.

If I hear any different, I'll certainly post it here.

Aggie96

[3]Apr 2, 2007
    • level: 2

I read on The Digital Bits' Rumor Mill on 1/25/07 to expect an announcement about a "Twin Peaks: The Complete Series box set for release later in 2007 that contains both seasons AND the pilot episode, PLUS lost of newly-produced extras."

Haven't heard anything else about it since then...but sure would love to know if it's true!

KahlanMnel

[4]Apr 3, 2007

CBS/Paramount sent a film crew to the TP Festival last year to get footage of the various filming locations up there as well as interviews with festgoers and fest organizers, all for a TP DVD extras package they were working on putting together. At that time, the crew stated that there was indeed plans for an individual S2 release, plus a full series set release. The gentleman in charge of the entire crew is apparently well-known for some impressive extras packages he's done for special edition DVD sets (I believe he did the extras package for the Alien quadrilogy set), and he mentioned quite a few things they'd been working on getting, such as deleted scenes and outtakes (from the series, not the film), old TV interviews, a short documentary on the TP festival phenomenon, a film site tour, and a few other things. He definitely stressed the fact that there would be that complete series package and would contain this extras package, but he was unable to provide us with any timeline. I always assumed it would be late 2007, and that seems to be everyone else's impression, but of course we're hearing no scuttlebutt whatsoever.

I have a theory that CBS/Paramount is remaining mum on the complete set to get people to buy the S2 release now instead of waiting for the complete set, knowing most of us will also kick down for the complete set. You know, like they tend to do with other things (LOTR DVDs come to mind!). Which stinks, but oh well.

grailwolf

[5]Apr 3, 2007

After hearing the feedback here and doing a bit more research, it looks like there are a few examples of people who are peripheral to the production company (such as the guy who was filming stuff at the TP Festival) who have said that there were plans for a full set.  This has then been repeated again and again around the 'net so that two or three conversations have become a "much rumored" release.

That said, I suspect that the producers are planning a full release at some time. I'd imagine, though, that they'll be looking at the sales for Season Two very carefully to decide whether or not to go forward with that plan. So between that and the fact that I just can't wait any gorram longer, I'll be picking up my copy of S2 today after work.  I would encourage anyone who can afford it to do the same, just because it will increase our chances of the full set and maybe, eventually, the FWWM deleted scenes.

Heck, if the TP DVDs do well enough en masse, we might even see a renewed interest in the property.  I would so love it if this brought about a new series, a wrap-up movie, or even an official novel or comic to finish the storyline.  For that matter, I'd love to see some new merchandise (shirts, mugs, action figures, even a computer game or role-playing system).  So buy the DVDs in as many formats as you can afford because it can only help.

Signal2Noise

[6]Apr 4, 2007
    • level: 7
    Thanks for the responses!

I was watching Attack Of The Show (G4-TechTV) where they have a weekly segment called DVDuesday which reviews the weekly DVD releases. TP S2 was reviewed and even Chris Gore (the reviewer) recommended a "pass" as in not to buy it. He also mentioned the forthcoming complete series set.

Needless to say I still bought S2 yesterday. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that the Pilot episode will be released as an individual copy when or before the complete box set is issued.

KahlanMnel

[7]Apr 4, 2007

I definitely couldn't wait for any complete set to come out, and my S2 set was delivered to my doorstep shortly after 6am yesterday (god bless FedEx). Of course, I was already at work at that point, so fat lotta good that did me. LOL But at least I had something to look forward to at the end of my day.

I'm really really hoping S2 sells so well that CBS/Paramount pushes the complete set into our laps with no questions asked. I have been keeping my eye out for reviews of the S2 release in major entertainment news outlets and haven't really seen any. Missed the review on Attack of the Show!, but I'll see if they repeat that ep over the weekend. I have to say, I was really disappointed that the S2 review didn't get a bigger piece of real estate in Entertainment Weekly. I really had expected to open up to that first page of their DVD section where they have a single DVD release featured and see Twin Peaks splashed all over it. You can imagine my disappointment when I discovered the set had been relegated to nothing more than the standard release blurb two pages later in the section I like to call their "Oh yeah, these are also out this week too..." reviews. I guess we should be happy that the set even got a blurb, but honestly it's a bit of a kick in the pants. Even IMDb failed to put enough effort into the release, and I thought they'd be all over it. Now here at TV.com...wow. They've put it right there in your face and that is awesome.

I think CBS/Paramount will still push to get a complete set out regardless of how well S2 does because S1 is out of print and that means many folks who failed to get their copy will be likely to pick up the full set. And if the complete set really does end up containing the pilot? Solid gold. There's no way they can't make money on this thing. And I honestly couldn't see them walking away from it with all the time, effort, and money they've put into having the film crew working on the extras package (the gentleman in charge of the team is a hot commodity...I can't imagine his salary is cheap). Then again, I don't really know what the cost benefit analysis looks like from CBS/Paramount's side...maybe they really could afford to walk away from putting out the box set and just eating the money they've spent so far. Scary.

grailwolf

[8]Jun 18, 2007
    And it's now almost official. According to TV Shows on DVD we may be seeing a full collector's set with both seasons plus the pilot episode (woot!) and a bunch of extras on October 30th. They even have the tentative box art.

For the full story click here (this link is also on the main page if you lose this thread).

80sfreak

[9]Jun 18, 2007
    • level: 10

grailwolf wrote:
    And it's now almost official. According to TV Shows on DVD we may be seeing a full collector's set with both seasons plus the pilot episode (woot!) and a bunch of extras on October 30th. They even have the tentative box art. For the full story click here (this link is also on the main page if you lose this thread).

I just read that too. I can definitely say I will be pre-ordering that through Amazon as soon as they have it listed. I held out on both season 1 and 2, and now I am glad I did. The pilot and the first season sell for a ridiculous amount on ebay, so come October 30 they will be worthless. I just hope they include the log lady introductions as well.

grailwolf

[10]Jun 19, 2007
    I couldn't hold out, so once this new set is released I'll have a total of five different versions of some episodes (original recorded-from-air VHS tapes, set of the first season on VHS, "Collector's Set" of the whole series [minus the pilot] on VHS, seasons one and two on DVD, and now the Ultra-Mega-Deluxe DVD set). And, honestly, I hope there's more to come.

The expense has been spread out over so many years that it really doesn't impact me very much, and I'm happy to support the shows that I love. It tickles me that a small portion of what I spend on these things will be going to the people who created this show and gave me so much enjoyment (okay, I know that isn't exactly true, but let me have my fantasy). Besides, I always hope that the studio will see that this property can be profitable and will decide to give us more (more episodes, another movie, more merchandise, whatever).

jonchun

[11]Jun 19, 2007
    • level: 11
    I can't wait. I'm definately going to buy this, since it's going to have the pilot.

Anon67683

[12]Jun 20, 2007
    • level: 14

I'm kinda torn because I suspect the pilot included in the Gold Box will be much better than my cheapo R0 version, yet I fully expect them to drop the DTS soundtrack that currently graces Artisan's S1. I'm also wondering whether or not they plan on tinkering with the color palette on S1. I like it but some peeps complain that it is shifted too far to red.

80sfreak

[13]Jul 27, 2007
    • level: 10
    I read in IGN's Comic Con coverage that the complete series box set is going to include both versions of the pilot. I am assuming they mean the version aired here in the U.S., and the international version.

grailwolf

[14]Aug 3, 2007

80sfreak wrote:
    I read in IGN's Comic Con coverage that the complete series box set is going to include both versions of the pilot. I am assuming they mean the version aired here in the U.S., and the international version.

That description is a little misleading. The same pilot was aired at the beginning of the series in every country. There is, however, a version of the film which has an "ending" that Warner asked Lynch and Frost to create in case no networks bought the series. Remember that pilots are special episodes or movies which are used to sell the series to the network. In this case Warner give them the money to make the pilot and they wanted to be able to sell it as a complete movie if it didn't make it.

The problem was that the ending wasn't really an ending. They deliberately filmed Cooper's dream from episode 2 so that they could re-use the footage for that, and then claimed that it was a really weird and abstract ending to the movie.

The pilot with the "ending" footage was first seen in Europe where it was shown in some theaters. For this reason it is often known as the "European" version (not the "international" version).

The problem with this version is that the end no longer works with the rest of the series, so every time they have aired the series in any country they have used the original pilot with no tacked-on ending.

Oh, and yes I assume that they mean that both the standard and "European" versions of the pilot will be in the disc.

ssimonds1

[15]Aug 3, 2007
    • level: 24

I hope there are plans to release the pilot seperatly. I already have S1 & 2 on DVD and the pilot and FWWM on VHS. Would love to have both movies on DVD.

I heard some talk about renewed interest bring back the show. Don't hold your breath. David Lynch WILL NOT do TV again. ABC really horked him off.