Twin Peaks Forums

ABC (ended 1991)

Did this show have a true ending, or did it just end when cancelled? No Spoilers

hbktimf24

[1]May 28, 2010
    • level: 7

Was debating on watching it but befor ei devote the time i was wondering if it had a ending or was it just cancelled mid story.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

lostwithrobin

[2]Jun 6, 2010
    • level: 6

I've heard that it was a ending... and even not in the last episodes but a lot before. But I don't know if the answers presented are really convincent considering that the show itself is totally crazy and weird, but great at the same time. I saw the first season and the first episode of the second, and love the first season, but kinda hate the premiere of the second, so I left it for now.

So I'd ask if the ending is satisfactory??

tony382

[3]Jun 6, 2010
    The ending had sorta a fill in the blanks scenario. Don't get me wrong it was great. I recommend you watch this show. It's fantastic. The first season, along with part of season two are great, then after they solve the murder of Laura Palmer the show gets really, really dumb. Then picks up in the final four episodes with the finale being excellent, this was when the shows creators David Lynch & Scott Frost came back.

But definitely watch this show. The writing is great, the characters are witty and weird. for me personally, it's one of the best TV shows ever created.

noviembrita

[4]Jun 11, 2010
    I think it was David Lynch's intention to leave so many cliffhangers. The idea of a show like Twin Peaks is to penetrate in your mind and force you to use your imagination to explore the alternatives and explanations to the questions stated on it. So it was just natural that the finale was so chaotic, weird, and open, because Lynch doesn't want to give you the whole information about what happened, and will happen but to leave you wondering, thinking andimagining the future that would come to such an adorable place.

grailwolf

[5]Jul 15, 2010
    • level: 55
    When the show ended it was actually the third time it had been cancelled. The fans were still crazy about it and kept flooding ABC with mail, so they kept bringing it back. So, when they were filming the last episode they didn't know for sure that they wouldn't be back. Also, there was a commitment by a French filmmaker to bankroll a movie, so they thought they could at least wrap things up that way. With all this in mind, they decided to end the season the way they'd originally planned, which means that it ends on a cliffhanger. However, many people have pointed out that it still works as an ending, if not a very satisfying one. The movie didn't happen because Kyle MacLachlan didn't want to do it, and they couldn't do a sequel without the main character. They eventually decided to make a prequel (and then, ironically, MacLachlan wanted to be part of it so they wrote a new section of the film just for him). There were actually some scenes in the original screenplay which continued the story a bit, but they either weren't filmed or they were among the scenes that were cut out and have not yet been restored or made available in any way. You can find the script online with a Google search if you're interested.

In short, you do get stuck with a cliffhanger, but it's such a great ride that I recommend it nonetheless.

Bree

[6]Jan 11, 2012
    • level: 2
    The show had a third season planned. The show had a great number of viewers in the first season, but after the identity of Laura Palmer's killer was revealed, the number sank.