Twin Peaks Forums

ABC (ended 1991)

Fire Walk With Me

DinkaMailer

[1]Jul 19, 2006
    • level: 17

I've read so many mixed reviews of this movie, that I can't decide if I want to see it or not. Is it worth it? Does it have the atmosphere of the series? Those of you who have seen both, please share your experiences... [But without spoilers PLZ!]

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

grailwolf

[2]Jul 19, 2006
    • level: 55

Well, I'd say that it's definitely worth seeing.  Obviously you need to see the whole series first since the movie is a prequel so it gives away a number of things (like, oh, the killer).

That said, the movie is... well, it is deeply flawed in some ways.  Lynch is an absolute genius, but his style is so dreamlike that sometimes his storytelling suffers.  On the series, Mark Frost provided the grounded storytelling but he did not work with Lynch on the film.  This feels far more like a David Lynch film than the series ever did, and that is both good and bad.  Good because we get to see the really dark and twisted side of the town and the supernatural entities that wage their wars there.  Bad because it is so often unclear what is happening in any given scene or in the film as a whole.

I recommend watching it once and then finding a copy of the shooting script (it's available in many places online), reading that, and then watching the movie again.  After reading the dialog that was cut, many of the scenes make a lot more sense.  Also, the shooting script contains much material that tied into the series which was cut out entirely.

So get ready for a darker, more Lynchian experience (definitely not kid-friendly) and then give the movie a try.  I'd be interested to hear what you think.

DinkaMailer

[3]Jul 19, 2006
    • level: 17

Thanx for the advice! I'll watch it then. I like dark movies that tend to "sit on your shoulders" for weeks long after they're over, so if there is a minimal, basic guideline that tells us what's going on in the film I'll be fine

sixgunsaint

[4]Aug 10, 2006
    • level: 9
    Definitely watch it! It was what actually got me into not only TP but all of Lynch's works. Great movie, not exactly logical, but therein lies its beauty. Grailwolf describes it perfectly.

Gubler_Gal

[5]Aug 11, 2006
    • level: 13
    I definitely wouldn't recommend it to anyone who didn't truly love the show, but since you're here you must.  So it's worth at least one viewing.  The characters in it seem exaggerated to me though when compared with the series, or like their acting talents have diminished.  Obviously it can't be that however, so I assume its just the way it was scripted.  Either way, it's intriguing.

xblvr

[6]Aug 15, 2006
    • level: 38
    Watch it - it's worth it.

Night_Trekker

[7]Dec 2, 2006
    • level: 3

If you're a Twin Peaks fan, it's a must-see, but only after you've watched the entire series, and only if you think you'll be comfortable watching a disturbing movie and not entirely understanding what's happening (basically, typical Lynch).

Fire Walk With Me is not without flaws but I think the degree to which it was critically lashed was unfair.  The movie is clearly made for people who have watched the series (for example, a few characters from the series aren't even introduced... you're just supposed to know who they are), but it answers none of the big questions which were raised by the ending of the series and many major characters don't make an appearance.  Also, the movie feels very uneven.  It's obvious that much was edited out (deleted scenes which have not been made available yet in any release).

All of that, combined with the much darker tone and the confusing nature of the movie, inevitably doomed it to poor critical reception, but it's filled withl brilliant scenes and great acting, especially from Sheryl Lee.  I think the good outweighs the bad, and I wouldn't suggest any fan pass on it, despite its problems.

Again, make sure you do not watch it before you see both seasons.  It spoils several plot points and it won't make a bit of sense without knowledge of the series and its characters.

Edited on 12/03/2006 7:54am
    Edited 2 total times.

mm668771

[8]Dec 18, 2006
    • level: 10

definitly worth watching---AFTER YOU SEE THE WHOLE SHOW!!! can't stress that enough. since i heard that they are finally going to release the second season, i have started to watch it from the beginning; and it should not be done that way. imho, here's the best way to do it:

1. TP Pilot (hard to find--import dvd only)

2. Season 1

3. Season 2(march/april '07)

4. Fire Walk With Me

iamfreeop

[9]Feb 13, 2007
    • level: 5
    mm668771 wrote:

definitly worth watching---AFTER YOU SEE THE WHOLE SHOW!!! can't stress that enough. since i heard that they are finally going to release the second season, i have started to watch it from the beginning; and it should not be done that way. imho, here's the best way to do it:

1. TP Pilot (hard to find--import dvd only)

2. Season 1

3. Season 2(march/april '07)

4. Fire Walk With Me

Then:

5. Mulholland Drive

6. Lost Highway

7. Wild at Heart

8. Blue Velvet

9. Dune

10. Elephant Man

11. Eraserhead

That should bring you up to date. But be on the lookout for "Inland Empire" coming soon...

ssimonds1

[10]Aug 3, 2007
    • level: 24
    You forgot the Straight Story

hal9000_basic

[11]Aug 19, 2007
    • level: 8
    The series was often involving and spooky; the movie is insipid and kooky

wr8280

[12]Sep 24, 2007
    • level: 6

If you ever had an urge to see Laura Palmer's breasts then yes, I would definitely recommend this movie. Also would recommend this movie for the role Kiefer Sutherland played. The geeky squinting he does was not yet perfected as it now is on '24' (24 fans will know what I'm talking about). Also DAVID BOWIE!!!!!!!!

But the scene in the Pink Room makes the movie worth at least one viewing.

Some of my pet peeves about this movie was the fact that some parts were poorly acted. Chris Isaacs isn't a horrible actor but he isn't too great either... the actress portraying Laura Palmer was excellent in some scenes but weak in others. She could cry on the spot but some of the dialog came off wrong. Also Lynch's portrayal of Cooper's half-deaf boss lost most of his charm partly because I was already annoyed with him prior to the movie and partly because he can hear everyone fine (I think he only asked one person to repeat themselves) so his loud talking gets tiresome.

And WTF is up with the dancing girl?! It made absolutely no sense whatsoever as did most of the first part of the movie. Cooper's talents were wasted as he was only in a few scenes. MOst of the favorite characters aren't even in the movie...

Also the scenes in the red room lost something... I don't know what it was but they just weren't as creepy or interesting. And the actor portraying Bob is.... *sigh* a horrid actor.

s798

[13]Oct 29, 2007
    yes a film with many flaws, but deffinitly worth watching, the soundtrack is amazing and sheryl lee as laura palmer is fantastic. a very sad and disturbing movie.

Trust-no-1

[14]Oct 30, 2007
    • level: 2
    I quite liked the movie. The darker style was great and Sheryl Lee's portrayal of Laura Palmer was superb. I was also pleased with minimal use of Dale Cooper.

It's really a shame that Lara Flynn Boyle didn't reprise her role as Donna because I found her to be one of the best actresses of Twin Peaks.

Hoopskidoodle

[15]Nov 13, 2007
    • level: 4

David Lynch movies always get mixed reviews. I loved FWWM. One thing that I loved that might have contributed to its luke-warm reception is that if you weren't a fan of Twin Peaks (and by fan I mean watched every episode and knew the characters intimately) you might not have known what was going on. I hate it when movies about legendary television shows waste time on exposition for the benefit of people who never watched the show in question. Screw 'em.

Additionally, I'm glad that FWWM attenuated many of the sillier aspects of the television series... which I always felt were concessions that David Lynch had to make in the interest of holding the attention of an American network television audience.

Edited on 11/13/2007 11:46am

CoolUserName

[16]Dec 20, 2007
    • level: 7
    The movie is worth seeing since it fills in the events that occurred, but it lacks the charm of show. It's really just damn unsettling, but I am glad that I saw it since I wanted to know everything that happened.

havoc1504

[17]Jan 11, 2008
    • level: 3

If you view the episode details for FWWM, it says :

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me Episode Number: 31Season Num: 2 .

But when you view the episode list for the whole show, FWWM is not anywhere in the list. I tried to fix this, but anytime i click any of the edit of add links it does not work for me.

jdmccallen

[18]Jan 27, 2008
    • level: 1
    ssimonds1 wrote:
    You forgot the Straight Story
    You forgot The Alphabet, The Grandmother & The Early films......The Grandmother makes Eraserhead look normal........definitely watch this movie (after the series of course) Kiefer & Bowie are great, but Chris Isaak rules the world along with Harry Dean Stanton.....excellent Lynchy stuff, someone mentioned getting the shooting script which is a great idea....

piano_pimp

[19]Feb 5, 2008
    wr8280 wrote:

If you ever had an urge to see Laura Palmer's breasts then yes, I would definitely recommend this movie. Also would recommend this movie for the role Kiefer Sutherland played. The geeky squinting he does was not yet perfected as it now is on '24' (24 fans will know what I'm talking about).

like my avatar?

trippefontaine

[20]Mar 2, 2008
    • level: 2
    If you are a fan then watch it. There are scenes of brilliance, but the movie is dark and depressing and may make you feel like gasping for air.