TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Twin Peaks Forums

ABC (ended 1991)

Is there any future? (SPOILERS)

samuelroberts

[1]Feb 15, 2007
    • level: 5

Considering how low the rate of visitors on this Twin Peaks forum is, its possible I may not get a reply to this.

Is Lynch ever going to do anything with Twin Peaks ever again? It feels strange, to me, that this is where they would end it. Why would they show Cooper in the red room 25 years later by coincedence? Could something possibly happen?

I find it strange due to how odd my finding of Twin Peaks was. There was almost no reason for me to get into it, and yet here I am entranced by its quality. But I have no reason to be...what a great series.

After season 2 comes out on DVD and Lynch finishes with Inland Empire, how likely is a reprise?

IGN had something reported back in 2005, but well...we're in a different time now.

Edited on 02/26/2007 1:48pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

leopheard

[2]Feb 26, 2007
    • level: 1
    ==SPOILER==

==SPOILER==

==SPOILER==

Lynch said back in 1997 it's "Dead as a doornail" unfortunately. I'd be incredibly surprised if it ever gets picked up again. But then again, shows like Lost being popular would go in its favour. But I wouldn't hold your breath. It's a shame those Cooper TV movies never came to light either.

It is a complete shame that you never found out what happened, but I think with the ending to FWWM, you're kinda given an explanation with Cooper being there.

As for 25 years, here's hoping for Cooper to come out of the Black Lodge in 2016! Although, I think there's a one in/one out rule for the lodge i.e. Chester Desmond was sent to the lodge after touching the ring and then Philip Jeffries appeared (albeit briefly) after just leaving the lodge.

Anyway, they didn't actually show Cooper in the lodge 25 years later in the last episode. Laura/Maddy did say "I'll see you in 25 years", but the European pilot did end with a sequence where it was in the red room and the subtitle said '25 years later'.

But then again, why was Cooper looking older in the first instance of the lodge, as time does not run normally, therefore - you wouldn't age normally would you?

samuelroberts

[3]Mar 14, 2007
    • level: 5
    You absolutely demonstrated why Twin Peaks was so great in your post. The Black Lodge, the intrigue...

I wonder what would have happened if it'd ran for like, Seven seasons...

I suppose we can hope for some good sales of the second season on DVD.

Gubler_Gal

[4]Mar 15, 2007
    • level: 13
    Everyone acts like the whole concept of Lost is revolutionary, but in my opinion the original epic compelling quirky drama was Twin Peaks.  I adore Lost but it can't even compare with Twin Peaks.  Somehow, despite my love for it, I think that its one of those things where it's better remembered as it was than risk tarnishing its legacy.

leopheard

[5]Mar 26, 2007
    • level: 1

True, I'd have to have it come back and be awful. I'll be happy with the FWWM deleted scenes edited back into a movie possibly for a bit more resolution, and I'll be happy. No, infact the screenplays of the 2nd/3rd movies. Oh, and of course Lynch to go back to film and shorter movies after Inland Empire!

Anyway, in terms of TP inspiration - how many shows are indirectly influenced by it?

Lost, X-Files, Desperate Housewives, Six Feet Under, that US Picket Fences one, maybe even Buffy at a stretch? I'm sure there are loads of examples I'm missing also.

Lost is missing one main thing that TP had - a completely loveable character (Dale Cooper). I don't feel any empathy with anyone on Lost.

Edited on 03/26/2007 11:22am

cybercontroller

[6]Apr 2, 2007
    • level: 8
    I've heard that FWWM was to have been the conclusion of the whole TP but due to Kyle M. not wanting to continue being Dale Cooper (at least not the star of the film) caused Lynch to have to change it to Laura's story. The deleted scenes might help explain things but I doubt it gives us the whole story. Maybe there isn't one to get judging from Lynch's output since TP. I think he's done with it & moved on. We fans don't like that but then we didn't create the show & live it for the 3 years or so Lynch did. My take on how things were left: Dale is stuck evil unless Truman wants to go into the Lodge to save him. He'll become a killer like Leland but hopefully gets locked up right away thanks to his wacko behavior of slamming his head into the mirror. Audrey could have survived the blast but doubt the others did. I assume Horne isn't dead as the Doc Haywood is present with Truman in Dale's hotel room at the end. You'd think he'd be locked up even if just for assault but maybe they need him as he seems to be the only doctor around.

allsummerlong

[7]Apr 2, 2007
    • level: 8

An extended FWWM would be welcome, but it would still work so much better as a movie if only it includes the intrical pieces of the Laura/Black Lodge storyline, which is what we have in the first place. In other words, I'd like to see the film enhanced with more scenes concerning Bowie, Cooper, etc.....and then have the rest of the stuff on a separate disc so we can see what happened before the Pilot to a lot of these characters.

Really, a complete series boxset with maybe a CGI/whatever 20min feature starring whatshisface as Dale Cooper could solve our real problems here. Mr. Lynch could finally end the cliffhanger from Season 2 and less of us would waste SO much time thinking about a silly television show. Essentially, that's Twin Peaks' greatest gift, luring its viewers into a realm of unbridled creativity as a way to continue the story or at least try to obtain a firm grasp of where it is/was headed.

But unfortunately, things ARE NOT OK for Dale Cooper! He's obviously trapped in there and wants out, despite his moment of happiness at the end of FWWM. He's smiling and proud for Laura, that she can finally have rest. However, as evidenced from the scene with Annie, Cooper needs to escape terribly bad, especially to stop his doppelganger from wreaking havoc. Please Mr. Lynch, just tell us the end of the tale!

grailwolf

[8]Apr 3, 2007
    • level: 55

cybercontroller wrote:
    I've heard that FWWM was to have been the conclusion of the whole TP but due to Kyle M. not wanting to continue being Dale Cooper (at least not the star of the film) caused Lynch to have to change it to Laura's story. The deleted scenes might help explain things but I doubt it gives us the whole story. *snip*

This is more or less correct.  The word at the time was that the movie was to have been a continuation of the story, resolving the cliff-hanger (which is why they left it at a cliff-hanger to start with, because they figured that they would either be renewed or they could make a movie to wrap it up).  Then Kyle said that he didn't want to be in the film, so they had to make it a prequel instead.  In fact, they had to bring in a whole new character (Chester Desmond) to fulfill the role that Cooper should have had in the Teresa Banks investigation.  Then Kyle returned and asked if they could put him in the film, so Lynch wrote his scenes and threw him in the mix.

The deleted scenes from FWWM do include a continuation of the final scene in the series, but only very briefly (they were supposed to set up the next film which would then have been a wrap-up story).  The shooting script is easy enough to find online if you search for it, so you can get the story whether they release those scenes or not.

From what I could tell, the reason there was never another movie (yeah FWWM didn't do well, but there were still financiers who were willing to back another film) was that Roger Ebert and others literally booed after the movie premiered at Cannes.  Lynch was so disheartened that he dropped the property completely.

My thought, now, is that even if Lynch can't bring himself to make any more, let's get Frost in here working on a sequel!  He was every bit as integral to the series as Lynch was, so I'm sure we'd get something wonderful and strange out of him.

ssimonds1

[9]Apr 19, 2007
    • level: 24

Couple of thing s that I had always heard about Twin Peaks.

1) Most of the cast was origanaly signed to five year contracts. Probably null and void now.

2)As far as it coming back to TV, Just watch the opening seen in FWWM. (sledgehammer) I think that pretty much sums up David Lynch's feelings toward TV.

3) David Lynch's contract with ABC was for two shows. The second, On the Air, was a spoof of television in general. And I think Mr. Lynch purposly made the show even quirky than TP as a final f**k you to ABC.