Twin Peaks Forums

ABC (ended 1991)

Just watched Season 1 and anxiously awaiting Season 2

windthrutrees

[1]Feb 14, 2007
    • level: 1

Hi everyone,

Just looking for some serious fans of Lynch and Twin Peaks to talk to and I figured this would be a good place to find them.  Let me also say that I'm new to forums of any kind, so I apologize if I ramble on a bit.  In the past year and a half I've become a huge fan of Lynch's work.  My girlfriend introduced me to the captivating and mysterious world of Lynch when we rented Blue Velvet about a year ago (actually, I had seen Dune years ago as a kid but I didn't realize Lynch directed it until recently).  From that point forward I was hooked and I proceeded to immerse myself in his bizarre and mesmerizing films.  In order, I watched Eraserhead, Wild at Heart, Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive, and I just saw INLAND EMPIRE a few weeks ago (absolutely breathtaking if you ask me).  Naturally, like the true addict I am, I had to find more of Lynch's work to obsess over.  

I vaguely remembered my parents watching Twin Peaks when I was a kid and wanted to go back and see what it was all about.  Good thing I checked this site first because I almost watched Fire Walk With Me without ever seeing any of the series.  Thanks to everyone here who advised against that and identified the best ordering in which to view the TP installments.  I just purchased and watched the TP pilot episode and all of Season 1 on DVD and I am chomping at the bit to see Season 2.  The pilot episode was fantastic from start to finish, as was the entire first season.  I love how Lynch's combination of music and picturesque images creates an almost subconscious feeling of a town that is quaint and beautiful on the surface, but dark and sinister once you start to peel the layers back.  I've now watched every episode in season 1 at least 2 times and now I'm dying to see season 2.  I've become so engrossed in the series that I find myself thinking about it at the most random of times and I'm constantly trying to piece together all the symbology and "clues" in my own attempt to figure out who killed Laura Palmer.  I know that a lot of people suggest that forcing logic and reasoning on Lynch's work is a mistake, but I can't help but enjoy discussing his work because I love hearing others' perceptions and interpretations and comparing them with my own.  I find it interesting and fun to share my thoughts and to hear about others' thoughts because different people tend to pick up on different nuances and subtleties in his work.

Anyway, at the moment I'm fixated on Cooper's dream, his rock-throwing exercise at intuiting the murderer, and the presence of the letters "R", "T", and "J", and how these might provide some kind of clues as to the identity of the murderer.  Cooper starts with "J" because of Laura's diary entry stating that she was, "nervous about meeting "J" tonight", and he hits the bottle after saying Jacoby's name and breaks it after saying Leo's name.  Loe, of course, is the prime suspect at the end of season 1, but I still have my doubts about Jacoby, especially because of a couple of symbols in Cooper's dream that corresponded with attributes of Jacoby's apartment.  When Donna and James break in to Jacoby's to find the tape there's a soundtrack of tropical sounds playing, which includes seagulls calling.  Then, Donna presses a button and music starts to play.  This reminded me of the dwarf in Cooper's dream when he said that where they're from there's birds singing and music playing in the air.  I also wonder about other people with the letter "J" in their names whom Cooper is not aware of yet.  One example is Ben Horne's brother Jerry.  Apart from the letter "J", the letters "R" and "T" appear quite often in the show as well.  Obviously, these were the two letters removed from under the fingernails of Theresa Banks and Laura Palmer, but I noticed that T is the first letter in Theresa and R is the last letter in Palmer and wondered if there was any significance behind that.  Also, Ronette was almost the 3rd victim, another "R".  Other Ts and Rs abound, such as Laura dying on Thursday, the Twenty-Third.  There's also the double R diner (which also has a large "T" on its sign), and Bobby Briggs (full name Robert) is often seen wearing a jacket with an embroidered "T" sewn on the back.  I may be letting my imagination run amok here, but oh well, that's half the fun for me.  I'd be curious to hear any of your thoughts on this, or any other particular thoughts you had after watching the entire first season.  Please try not to give away any major spoilers for the 2nd season if possible.  Looking forward to discussing other things in the first season as well, such as how the log lady and the one-armed man fit into the bigger picture.  Thanks for putting up with my novel of a post. 

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

wr8280

[2]Feb 25, 2007
    • level: 6
    I'm in the same boat that you are, windthrutrees. I was too young to enjoy the series so I went back and bought season one- but was horrified to find the Pilot episode missing. But I watched it anyways. So now I'm waiting for season 2 to be released on DVD and who knows when that will be. I'm still fascinated by the red room and the mysteriousness of the town. Where did you get the pilot episode on DVD?

grailwolf

[3]Feb 26, 2007
    • level: 55
    The pilot isn't really easy to find (I'm assuming you're in the US), but it can be picked up through Amazon or on Ebay.  There was a region free disc released... I think from Hong Kong, but I'm not certain, and you can still find it sometimes.  The audio isn't perfect (it's either a bit fast, or the pitch was notched up a bit) but not so bad that it's unwatchable.  The nice thing is that it has the correct ending, and actually syncs with the rest of the series.

As for the rest of the discussion, I'm really excited to see what you think as you watch season two.  I was a part of the discussion board on Usenet (alt.tv.twin-peaks) back when the show was on the air, and I've really missed all the theorizing and conversation. 

Maybe this summer we could get a weekly episode discussion going.  I don't have time right now, but perhaps after the TV season ends I'll be able to sit down and watch the series again.

Oh!  And be careful perusing the other threads.  I'm amazed at how often people ask questions, and even more amazed at how often people answer them flat out.  Back in the day, I always told people that they needed to hunt down the tapes and find out their own answers.  I relented as the eps got harder and harder to find, but now that season 2 is coming out, I doubt that I'll be answering any more detailed questions any time soon. It's just so much more fun to find out by watching.

wr8280

[4]Feb 27, 2007
    Thanks for the advice. I think the forum activity should pick up once season two comes out on DVD- can't wait to see more. Thanks for the advice about the Pilot. I've got S2 pre-ordered so as soon as its available I'm going to order a large pepperoni and watch Twin Peaks all night long.

wr8280

[5]Mar 5, 2007
    Right now it seems pretty obvious that Leo is the killer...

grailwolf

[6]Mar 9, 2007
    Yeah, that was the same impression I had at the end of S1.  They even did a skit about Twin Peaks on Saturday Night Live at this point that had Leo confessing to Cooper and Truman and Cooper still looking for more mystical clues while Leo is pulling out fingerprints, signed confessions, photos of him killing Laura, etc.  Very funny skit.  I'm not sure, but you might be able to find it online somewhere.

Anyway, I will neither confirm nor deny (obviously) but I'm really looking forward to seeing what you think of S2.  Better buckle in, it's a wild ride.

windthrutrees

[7]Mar 12, 2007
    • level: 1

wr8280, I don't know if you've already ordered the pilot episode, but as grailwolf mentioned you can pick up a region 0 (meaning it will play on any dvd player in the world) copy of the pilot via ebay.  The one I got is from Hong Kong, and the specific vendor was fullhouse dvd.  on the ebay home page, click on ebay stores, type in fullhouse dvd under find a store, and search for twin peaks pilot.  I got it for about $25, including shipping, but you might be able to find it cheaper if you search around some more. 

As far as Laura's killer is concerned, all signs do seem to point to Leo by the end of season 1.  It seems almost too blatantly obvious for him to be the actual killer, but i guess i'll find out when my copy of the season 2 dvds ends up in my mailbox.  I've gone back through and watched the episodes from season 1 about 3 to 4 times now and they just get better with each viewing.  I also finding myself coming up with more question marks along the way, but i guess you're right grailwolf, i probably shouldn't pose the questions to people who've seen the entire series if i don't want any spoilers to come my way.  Somehow i've managed to keep myself away from the other postings on this site with "spoilers" in the title, however difficult it has been to keep myself from reading everything i can about this show.  Apart from the mystery of the killer's identity, I love the complex characters and their interwoven relationships to one another.  I'm also captivated by the mysteriousness of the town, the significance of the red room, and the reoccurring motif of the surrounding forest and the evil that resides there.  I'd love if we could get a weekly episode discussion going this summer.  By then i should have watched all the episodes in season 2 at least a few times and FWWM as well.  Looking forward to the wild ride! 

grailwolf

[8]Mar 13, 2007
    *almost bursting to talk about the episodes that reveal the killer*

Hurry up and watch Season 2 when it comes out!  This is going to be a great conversation, I can already tell.

There are a lot of things to discuss, though...  maybe we should start an episode by episode discussion.  That way you won't accidentally get spoiled about something that happens later on in the season.

Hey, why wait?  We could start doing that with the first season and do an episode a week or something.

wr8280

[9]Mar 13, 2007
    ...I just watched season one again... I have no life... Anyways I noticed the price of season one is up to one-hundred dollars! I'd never sell mine though. That would be cool of you could start a discussion like that also. Have you guys watched the commentary on the first season? I just watched the first episode with commentary and plan on watching all of them before season two is released... hope I don't ruin anything though..

benchervin

[10]Mar 26, 2007
    • level: 9
    I tried to watch the show. I really liked the 2hr. pilot and then the show got too weird for me. I know I'm in the minority here, and I hate to bring the post down, but I just found that after 4 episodes I didn't care about any of the characters or who the killer was. I'm SO disappointed. I REALLY wanted to like it.
    Edited on 03/26/2007 8:49pm

iheartGibbs

[11]Mar 29, 2007
    • level: 11
    benchervin wrote:
    I tried to watch the show. I really liked the 2hr. pilot and then the show got too weird for me. I know I'm in the minority here, and I hate to bring the post down, but I just found that after 4 episodes I didn't care about any of the characters or who the killer was. I'm SO disappointed. I REALLY wanted to like it.

Wow! You are the first person I've ever "met" that actually watched the show and didn't like it.

21chewbakka21

[12]Mar 30, 2007
    • level: 19

WOW, you are a lucky man windthrutrees, most of the girls don't like Lynch, so you must have a special girlfriend.

Anyway, i'm a huge fan of David Lynch, i have even seen his short films (Six men getting sick, The Alphabet, Grandmother, and so), and i think he is the most original director all times. Twin Peaks is really great too, remember, when i first saw it, i barelly could wait for the next ep in every week. So go and see Season 2 there is gonna be some surprises for sure!

mrn71

[13]Mar 31, 2007
    Only a few more days till S2 DVD comes out - might take me a few weeks to get it since I'm in the middle of nowhere. But would love to participate in a discussion here...

Anon67683

[14]Apr 1, 2007
    • level: 14
    Is it April 3rd yet?

Gubler_Gal

[15]Apr 2, 2007
    • level: 13
    Yay!  The site is Twin Peaks themed today!