Twin Peaks Forums

ABC (ended 1991)

Season 2 DVD Special Features

wr8280

[1]Apr 16, 2007
    • level: 6
    Just wondering what everyone thought of the special features on the newly released season two. I hear a lot of griping about how its a cheap-o cardboard set but I thought it was very nice and had a cool grid with interviews from many of the actors. I wasn't expecting anything so I guess I wasn't disappointed. I mean- Mulholland Drive didn't even have chapters!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Anon67683

[2]Apr 17, 2007
    • level: 14

The S2 set is well below the current standard for boxset extras and it's a decided step down from the Season One set, which had audio commentaries and DTS sound. S2 has no commentaries, no DTS and the only features are a few 5-10 minute interviews with various writers/directors/etc. The packaging is maybe a bit cheap looking but then so was S1 in my eyes. Not to say that I'm not grateful to finally have S2 in my hands, but you would think that well after more than a decade they could have brought some more bling into the S2 set.

ssmodk

[3]Apr 17, 2007
    • level: 7

Well, it was kind of a dump series...

I think they're just hoping to make a little money on it. It's not like it has the world's biggest fanbase at this point.

15 year old TV shows, particularly cancelled ones, don't lend much hope for big sales... As it was Season One just barely broke even, so I doubt they were going to give the second season a big budget to add features.

wr8280

[5]Apr 18, 2007
    ssmodk wrote:

Well, it was kind of a dump series...

I think they're just hoping to make a little money on it. It's not like it has the world's biggest fanbase at this point.

15 year old TV shows, particularly cancelled ones, don't lend much hope for big sales... As it was Season One just barely broke even, so I doubt they were going to give the second season a big budget to add features.

You have only to look at the current price of season one of twin peaks to see there is still a market for twin peaks merchandise and for a 15 year old show it still has a large cult following. 

Anon67683

[6]Apr 19, 2007
    Aye, but the reason for the high prices for S1 on eBay is precisely because of the small fanbase and the limited run of S1 sets made to cater to that small fanbase. In other words, scarcity = premium prices. I love, love, love Twin Peaks - it's my favorite television series by far, but I also realize that I am one of the few. My entire family hates Twin Peaks with a fanaticism that makes me laugh and I don't personally know anyone who claims to be a fan. We are a minority here, brought together by the magic of the internet.

wr8280

[7]Apr 24, 2007
    Thanks for the economics lesson, anon. But my point remains valid- there is a market for Twin Peaks- the high price proves scarcity but it also shows popularity. You could have something scarce like a star wars collectible that could be very valuable but only because the movie was so insanely popular. Twin Peak's affluent fans will support the show with their dollars if they decide to release a Complete Series Box Set.

Anon67683

[8]Jun 5, 2007

No need to be snippy . I'm not trying to "school" you or anything, it's just that I think the market for Twin Peaks is small, just as the market for any Lynch film is relatively small. Heck, Inland Empire didn't play anywhere near me when it came out and I regularly see Mulholland Drive (one of my top 5 favorite movies of all time) in the $5 DVD bins.