Twin Peaks Forums

ABC (ended 1991)

Should I watch it? (Spoiler Free)

JoeMacbeth

[1]Oct 5, 2006
    • level: 14
    i've found the twin peaks dvd case in my cupboard and am considering watching it, should I?is it worth it?whats it like? Please remain spoiler free!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

xblvr

[2]Oct 6, 2006
    • level: 38
    the only problem is that it is just season 1 on the DVD (2 is supposed to be out this year). I loved it and would tell all to watch it. But it is a bit out there and you have to pay attention to every episode...

Gubler_Gal

[3]Oct 10, 2006
    • level: 13

Watching Twin Peaks is a truly rewarding experience, but you have to keep an open mind.  It's the most addicting thing I've ever watched, second only to Lost.  I would warn you that by the end you will likely be dying to see Season 2, so keep that in mind.  It could be torture waiting for it.  It's one of those things where while you can't put a finger on exactly why it was so amazing, the effect it has on you is indisputable.  If you watch it, love it or hate it, you'll never forget it. 

The best way to describe it is it's a whodunit on acid.

Edited on 10/10/2006 4:17am

Signal2Noise

[4]Oct 11, 2006
    • level: 7
    Since you've already got it why not just pop it into the player and decide for yourself?

ackermaniv

[6]Dec 10, 2006
    • level: 10
    does the show wrap up (and answer) most of  the questions in or by the season 2 finale? i see on this site there is a 1st episode to a 3rd season

grailwolf

[7]Dec 12, 2006
    • level: 55
    Unfortunately, no.  The writers had planned a cliffhanger ending to season 2.  Then they got cancelled, but the fan response brought the show back.  By the time they filmed the last episode of the season, they weren't sure whether they'd be picked up or not.  Then a French filmmaker offered up the money for Lynch to make three films as long as one of them was a Twin Peaks movie, so they went ahead with the cliffhanger figuring that even if the show was cancelled they could make the sequel movie and wrap everything up.

Then both Kyle MacLachlan (Cooper) and Lara Flynn Boyle (Donna) pulled out of the movie because of other commitments.  Without Cooper they couldn't do a sequel, so they decided to do a prequel instead, showing the last seven days in the life of Laura Palmer.  Kyle came back just as shooting was beginning, but by then they had a script in place so all they could do was to throw in a few minutes about Cooper's role in the investigation of Teresa Banks' murder.

Alas, FWWM didn't do well enough in the theaters to warrant a sequel, so we never did get a wrap up.  However, there are some clues in the movie (even though it's a prequel... time works oddly in the woods near Twin Peaks) and even more in the original shooting script.  Also, many people think that the "cliffhanger" of season 2 is actually a good and fitting ending to the series.

I really can't say any more until you see it, though, and I will advise you to see it even though it doesn't really resolve.  The story is just so great that it's worth it even if you hate cliffhanger endings.

eds_poofed_hair

[8]Jan 17, 2007
    • level: 7
    I really want to see this show. Really badly. I haven't seen a single second of it otherwise...and I probably never will. No way will I watch season two without watching season one, and apparently that's practically impossible to find. And even if I ever find that, I'd only feel comfortable watching the pilot first. Obviously the question on everyone's minds is whether or not some sort of complete series set or season one reissue will ever happen, but that's about as moot as the X-Files movie or an Arrested Development revival. I'm tired of waiting for stuff to happen. I'm a patient person, but I hate that we all know that some sort of reissue/complete set is an inevitability of time and all we are waiting on is a couple of suits who are stubborn and won't own up to several truisms regarding quality, popularity, and cult status. And it will happen, by any means, what with all the new services and companies popping up...eventually we won't need to watch broadcast television at all, and everything will be catalogued somewhere and...okay, maybe that future is a long way off, but come ON. I'm tired of dumb legal issues! Do I really have to leave the country to see this?

samuelroberts

[9]Feb 21, 2007
    • level: 5
    You need to get a region-free player and import the boxset from the UK, where I live. Has the pilot episode and everything.

Also, if you're wondering about watching the series? You need a truly open-mind. The reason the show was cancelled in the first place was the viewers' reluctance to wait for answers and enjoy the intrigue.

Its like Lost, only done miles better. Seriously, its an out-of-any-league quality drama, although the quality dips in the second series.

Still, the last episode, in the black lodge...well...maybe the best thing ever.

leopheard

[10]Feb 26, 2007
    • level: 1
    Twin Peaks is surely the best thing I have seen on the large or small screen respectively. As the above posted said, you need an open mind, but also a bit of thought to invest as it involves a lot of symbolism and metaphor. Oh, and some of the best directing/cinematography I've ever seen. Absolutely amazing.