Twin Peaks Forums

ABC (ended 1991)

Should I watch the Pilot episode first?

sthorne

[1]Nov 30, 2006
    • level: 10
    Hello,

I just got the first season on DVD. Having never watched the show before, I was confused when I went to watch the first episode and it started with "Previously on Twin Peaks". So I stopped watching and looked it up on here to see what was up. Now I'm wondering if I should find the Pilot to watch first or start from "Episode One"? I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Pilot is actually more of a full-length film that spoils the plot for the television show, but I'm not completely sure.

Thank you in advance for any helpful response.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Signal2Noise

[2]Nov 30, 2006
    • level: 7
    Hello and welcome to the world of Twin Peaks.

The much sought after pilot episode is just that. It's not a stand-alone movie per se. It's original run on TV was about two hours and introduces the discovery of Laura's body and all the main characters of the show. Unfortunately the pilot is not "officially" available. You can usually find a European or Asian release of the pilot episode but I've heard it's of rather poor quality. I prefer to wait for David Lynch's authorized release of it if it ever happens.

Another Twin Peaks DVD to watch is Fire Walk With Me. It's all about the events leading up to Laura's death. This is the movie you're probably thinking of that will spoil the show. Preferrably you should watch it after you see all of the TV series' seasons but if you should view it beforehand you'll likely forget it by the time the rest of the series is released to DVD.

Oh_Dae_Su

[3]Dec 1, 2006
    • level: 6
    The UK Region 2 DVD has the Pilot episode on it, and the quality is great.

Night_Trekker

[4]Dec 2, 2006
    • level: 3

Yes, you should definitely see the pilot episode before you watch any more of the series.

It was feared that Twin Peak wouldn't be picked up as a series, so the pilot episode was turned into a stand-alone movie that was released in Europe.  It's basically the same as the pilot episode but it has about 20 minutes of extra footage at the end that more or less ties the storyline up.  That's probably what you read about.

If you plan to watch the series, I suggest you obtain the pilot episode, not the movie it was edited into, and watch that first.  And as another poster mentioned, stay away from Fire Walk With Me until you've seen the entire series.

Edited on 12/02/2006 12:39pm

swifty74

[5]May 10, 2007
    • level: 26
    Oh_Dae_Su wrote:
    The UK Region 2 DVD has the Pilot episode on it, and the quality is great.

I agree!!

Gubler_Gal

[6]May 10, 2007
    • level: 13
    Watching the pilot makes the whole series much better IMO.  I'm so excited for you.  I wish I could watch it all for the first time again.  *sigh*