Twin Peaks Forums

ABC (ended 1991)

Spoilers perhaps!... Jocy Packard

neutralgood13

[1]May 23, 2006
    • level: 4

What do you think really happened to Jocy Packard in her final moments?

Did it have to do with Mike the One Armed Man's hint about the Great Northern's rooms holding separate souls?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

russellbullock

[2]May 25, 2006
    • level: 19
    I'm not sure of the cause, but I feel that whatever happened to Josie is the same thing that happened to the Log Lady's husband (his soul was trapped in the log...somehow).

Rockstar_101

[3]May 31, 2006
    • level: 9

Yes,most viewers were led to believe that Josie's soul got trapped within the Great Northern. There are 2 hints

1:Benjamin Horne gets spooked by something behind him in his office,and turns around but we dont know what it is

2: Pete Martell says to himself he thought he saw a glimpse of Josie in the walls

Edited on 05/31/2006 5:12pm
    Edited 4 total times.

DinkaMailer

[4]Jul 5, 2006
    • level: 17

I don't know if i recall correcty, but I remember a drawer-knob turning into a screaming head for a few moments at the time Josie died...

Rockstar_101

[5]Jul 13, 2006
    • level: 9

DinkaMailer wrote:
    I don't know if i recall correcty, but I remember a drawer-knob turning into a screaming head for a few moments at the time Josie died...

Yes that too........that scared the s***t outta me btw!

leopheard

[6]Feb 26, 2007
    • level: 1
    The log lady's husband didn't die & get transferred into the log - he gave her the log as a wedding present before he died. Lynch had the log lady in one of his other works long before TP. Take a look at the short films.

jamiel8668

[7]Sep 23, 2007
    • level: 2
    neutralgood13 wrote:

What do you think really happened to Jocy Packard in her final moments?

Did it have to do with Mike the One Armed Man's hint about the Great Northern's rooms holding separate souls?

An interesting scene in the film which, to me, reflects the underlying notions of the the storyline. That being [again, i must remind you, that in my opinion] the plot is loosely based on a story of love, and the way the feelings of the characters of Twin Peaks, are affected by a POSSIBLE supernatural prescence eminating from 'the woods'.

The two things that open the lodge's door's are love and fear. [Fear being probably the best 'oppisite' to love]. In this particular scene we find Josie 'quaking' and then she dies. No science here. But Cooper does suggest that it was 'fear' that she died from. [Again, no science here. But this is Twin Peaks. Right?] Cooper also later reveals that he saw Bob at the time of her death, as though Bob gained entry though to the room they were in through Josie's fear.

You might also note that this particular evidence of 'supernatural prescence' permeates the entire series. Later in Series 2, Cooper and Truman are talking in the office while Cooper is looking through venetian blinds thinking of Annie [as he's falling in love with her] then, all of a sudden Cooper's hand starts quaking. [?]

These [and many more examples i don't have the time to explain now] are good examples of the introduction of the concepts of...

1: '...the evil in these woods'

2: 'the black lodge'

On your other point. The reference made by Mike about the Great Northern was really only an indication of where Bob was at the time. I believe that Cooper asks Mike where Bob is at that time. Mike goes on to describe a place '...inhabited by different souls every night.' Cooper then figures it must be the Great Northern Hotel. [Sub-note: at this particular point both Ben Horne and Leland Palmer have been shown to be there at the time.]

Interesting point noted afterwards about the episode where you hear the eerie music when Ben, standing in his office, turns around as though something was about to happen and then... it cuts to the next scene. I have no explanation for that although give me some time and i could probaby work that into my interpretation as well! Ha ha ha.

I do think the series was LOOSELY based around certain ideas i.e Laura's story/Black & White Lodge etc. But also notice that cliffhangers would appeared at the right times [in order to keep the networks/audiences interested] which suggests that the creative process was improvised.

That being said, i guess you can tell I LOVE TWIN PEAKS! Feel free to get at me for any discussion questions etc.

leopheard

[8]Oct 23, 2007
    • level: 1
    Good theory, but what about the random woman in the Double R Diner who also gets the hand shakes when she's trying to pick up her coffee? She also uses her other hand to try and stop it, almost as if she's trying to hide it. The episode ends with Bobs hand, then whole body appearing from the darkness over the pool of oil in the sycamore trees.

jamiel8668

[9]Nov 24, 2007
    • level: 2

This may sound overly simple but it sounds to me like the kind of symbolism used in the series to give the viewer...

...that feeling that something is happening.

Also, isn't Cooper in the diner at that time? You know, the whole Annie thing?

kingoffheg

[10]Apr 26, 2011
    • level: 11

About the shaking hands thing, I think in that same episode (or maybe the one after) Dale realizes that in order to access the Black Lodge he must be there at the right time (when two planets I can't recall conjunct) he also says that when that happens, there's a shift of power in the world... I guess the shaking occurs because of that as the balance of the world is shifting etc...

I mean it made complete sense to me and I didn't think it was left unresolved so I'm surprised so many people are confused about it, maybe I missed something?

Edie70

[11]Apr 27, 2012
    • level: 19
    I remember being very confused about her death. She seemed really desperately trying to tell them something, but died before she did say anything, all shaky. Weird. This show was amazingly weird masterpiece, but I sincerely hated the last episode.