Twin Peaks Forums

ABC (ended 1991)

Twin Peaks Festival

windthrutrees

[1]Mar 12, 2007
    • level: 1
    Just wondering if anyone on this message board has ever gone to the Twin Peaks Festival in North Bend/Snoqualmie, WA?  They have a lot of information on the festival at www.twinpeaksgazette.com.  From damn fine coffee and donuts, to costume contests, to bus tours of the shooting locations the festival sounds like a blast.  They even get some celebrities to come each year.  So far, the one-armed man himself, Al Strobel, confirmed that he'll be there this year.  Also, Sandy Kinder will be there.  I'm not sure which character she played, but since I haven't seen season 2 yet I'm assuming she played a new character that came along in season 2.  I wish I didn't live all the way on the opposite side of the country in Washington D.C., but I'm still seriously considering the trip.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

grailwolf

[2]Mar 13, 2007
    • level: 55
    I've never been (I'm in the DC area, so almost as far away from the Pacific Northwest as I can get and still be in the country) but I really hope to go one year.

Sandy Kinder, btw, is an actress who was in the movie Fire Walk With Me.   A pretty small role, actually (Irene, at Hap's Diner).  They must have having a pretty hard time getting celebrities nowadays.  That's really too bad.

KahlanMnel

[3]Apr 3, 2007
    • level: 2

Hello!

My name is Amanda Hicks and I'm one of the organizers of the Twin Peaks Festival. Glad to see some Peaks discussion taking place in this forum!

The reason we invited Sandy Kinder is that this is the 15th anniversary of the premiere of Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me and we're working to gather various cast members from the film as our celebrity roster for this year. Sandy joined us a few years ago as a celebrity guest and was a super fan favorite. Even though her part is miniscule, it seems to be the little characters that make the biggest impressions on fans. (we've actually had people ask that we try to get the breakdancing guy from the pilot...no joke!)

We don't usually have a problem getting celebrity guests to appear at the festival (with the noted exception of the biggest names - Kyle MacLachlan, Sheryl Lee, David Lynch, etc. - not interested in attending), of course pending their work schedules. And unfortunately even if they are available, that doesn't always mean they will actually make it. We've had celebrities back out on short notice due to a job coming up. Since entertainment is a fickle business, we don't begrudge them a paycheck. We just hope they are able to make it in the future.

We've got a couple of celebs we're finalizing details with right now and expect to announce in the next couple of weeks. We're sooooo nervous about announcing people before they're confirmed because one of the previous festival organizers used to announce celebrities before he'd even asked them to attend and fans got discouraged when they'd show up only to find that Ray Wise and Sheryl Lee really weren't going to be there! (I attended that year...I can't even begin to describe how angry we all were) So that's why the roster looks kind of slim right now.

Just a correction to the original post. The festival website is located at www.twinpeaksfestival.com  The link referenced above is actually for the Twin Peaks Gazette, a fan website that is not related to the festival but carries links to our information.

windthrutrees, grailwolf, I hope y'all will be able to join us one of these years! I've been to every festival since 1999 and an organizer since 2004 and every year it feels more and more like a big weird family gathering. It's so exciting to get to actually meet all these random people from around the globe that have a big thing in common with you, you know? Ah, I'm the eternal optimist.

~ Amanda

grailwolf

[4]Apr 3, 2007
    • level: 55

That's really great news, Amanda!  With most media conventions they don't start getting the really minor players until they're in trouble and just can't get the big names any more.  I'm so glad to hear that's not the case.  It disheartens me to hear that some of the key folk aren't interested in attending (not to be snarky, but it's not like any of them have anything major going on now) but I'm glad to hear that things are still going strong for you all.

I'll absolutely be trying to make it out there one of these days.  Don't suppose you have any comped air tickets and hotel rooms lying about unused, do you?   In all seriousness, this would be a dream come true for me. I've been trying to get there since the very first festival, and life just keeps getting in the way.  This year, for example, I'm getting married so there is just no spare time or money for anything else.  We're thinking of trying to get up there next summer, though, or the year after.

*sigh*  One of these days.

Anyway, thanks so much for the update!  I'm sure we have some posters who are interested.

And here, btw, is a clickable version of the website link: www.twinpeaksfestival.com  

KahlanMnel

[5]Apr 4, 2007
    • level: 2

grailwolf wrote:
    It disheartens me to hear that some of the key folk aren't interested in attending (not to be snarky, but it's not like any of them have anything major going on now) but I'm glad to hear that things are still going strong for you all.

Heh. That's not snarky at all. Even though I try to maintain a "professional" facade about the festival, that's part of my thinking when it comes to the celebs who won't give us the time of day. I accept that some actors just don't want to relive parts of their career. (Richard Beymer comes to mind, though not with Twin Peaks...I know he really doesn't like having West Side Story thrown at him because he feels he's moved beyond that. Peaks is more his style nowadays...) But you'd figure they'd at least give us the courtesy of thinking about it or even just calling us to say "Thank you but I'm not interested." I'd say 99% of the time we hear nothing back on our queries (with regards to the non-interested actors). We're just ignored entirely. Which stinks.

But the celebs who are interested? Wonderful people. I just couldn't say enough good things about them. People like Charlotte Stewart, Catherine Coulson, Don Davis, Kimmy Robertson, Dana Ashbrook, James Marshall...oh the list goes on and on! They're all so great with the fans and really have this deep love and/or appreciation for Twin Peaks and they wear it so plainly on their sleeves. They delight in the fact that people are still interested in this partcular body of work after so many years. And even if they can't make it, they'll tell us "Keep me in mind. I want to be there!" Which is just as awesome.

And as far as The Man himself, David Lynch...even though he's not added himself to the mix (and he's pretty much said that he never will) as an attendee, he takes time to record a short welcome video for festgoers almost every year. It's a hoot! I think that is probably one of the best gifts we could give the fans.

Congratulations on the upcoming wedding! I'd say that impending marriage (boy, that sounds almost like doom) is a great reason to postpone a festival visit.