Twin Peaks Forums

ABC (ended 1991)

Twin Peaks Good/Bad?

confusedboy24

[1]Aug 21, 2007
    • level: 17

I've never seen Twin Peaks but I love X-Files and I heard they were pretty similar.

So TP a good series to get into?

I ask cause I know The Definitive Edition is being released in October and I was planning on Pre-Ordering it.

Also I heard Season 2 stunk compared to Season 1, what changed that made it so bad?

Finally, does the Movie wrap up the series or was the final episode pretty final itself?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ghostysshow

[2]Aug 23, 2007
    • level: 1
    Twin Peaks is a GREAT show and you'll see where The X-Files borrowed a few ideas (Chris Carter was a fan).Wait for the complete set to get the pilot episode. That HAS to be watched first otherwise the whole thing won't make much sense. After completing the series then watch the film "Fire Walk With Me".The second season starts out strong, has a dangerous lull midway through and then picks up steam before going out with a bang. Probably the best and weirdest hour of television of all time!!!The lull that occurs in the middle of season 2 had something to do with a storyline that was rejected by one of the actors. He simply refused to do it. I won't give too much away. I think you'll like the show. It's much darker than the X-Files but has a lot of the quirky humor both shows were famous for.

21chewbakka21

[3]Aug 27, 2007
    • level: 19

Twin Peaks is so much better then X-files, that you can't even compare them!

X-files is just cheap entertainment IMHO, TP is a piece of David Lynch's amazing mind, a brilliant, amazing and dark journey.

I recommend it to everyone!

idefix7

[4]Sep 1, 2007
    • level: 5
    Imo Twin Peaks and the X-Files do share very few similarities even though there are some its probably not enough to assume just because you like one you will also like the other.
    As chewbakka already said the XF is just a mainstream SciFi show for the masses, simply put TP is not.
    Its not that I don't like the XF its just that TP is different and better in my opinion.

wr8280

[5]Sep 24, 2007
    • level: 6
    Twin Peaks was interesting but the main story arc was wrapped up too quickly which was a failure due to network pressure and not Lynch's genius. X-Files never made that mistake until season six.... then it started to go downhill.

Sherasbear

[6]Oct 26, 2007
    • level: 61
    Twin Peaks was an awesome show! The whole first season revolves around one basic plot that definitely could have kept going, but the network execs did not want that. I think they ruined it! TP was quirky and very inventive. So many eccentric characters and interesting plotlines. Too bad it only lasted 29 episodes!

s798

[8]Oct 28, 2007
    • level: 10
    Twin Peaks was amazing untill midway season 2 when they wrapped up the Larua Palmer story. The show was still great the second half of season 2, but just couldnt compare to the first season/first half of season 2.

Trust-no-1

[9]Oct 29, 2007
    • level: 2
    I watched Twin Peak recently for the first time and I didn't find it to be anything special. Dale Cooper bugged me to no end with his stupid ideas and attitude and the story was wrapped too quickly and it should have ended after Laura Palmer's death was explained.

But nevertheless, the show has some really good aspects too. I really liked the individual stories of the characters (Donna/Maddy/James, Audrey/Benjamin Horne, the Palmer family ...).

Overall, I'm definitely glad I watched it, I just don't think it's that special and sometimes I found it to be rather boring (especially 2nd half of season 2).

And I don't know why people compare it with The X-Files. They have nothing in common other that an unconventional FBI agent (although Cooper and Mulder I something totally different in my oppinion). The atmosphere of The X-Files is much darker and I find The X-Files to be a lot more serious show.

iamralphiam

[10]Oct 29, 2007

Trust-no-1 wrote:
    And I don't know why people compare it with The X-Files. They have nothing in common other that an unconventional FBI agent (although Cooper and Mulder I something totally different in my oppinion). The atmosphere of The X-Files is much darker and I find The X-Files to be a lot more serious show.

Well, they're made by different people, but Twin Peaks is more like a long drawn out plotline, where X-files tried to keep single plots with a overall theme that led to bigger plots... but the reason theyre compared is because Chris Carter was a TP fan and he obviously borrowed things from Twin Peaks (even David D. even though borrowed is not the right term for that)

I was an X-files fan before i ever saw Twin Peaks (and mind you when i watched TP I never saw any spoliers reviews etc i just watched the show for what it was), and I thought it was similar and then I saw David D. (cant spell his last name lol) and that solidified it for me.

Twin Peaks stands on its own from X-files but its a twisted show for sure... I just wish it had lived out a full life so i could have seen a better explaination of the end

Edited on 10/29/2007 7:06pm

ViChiX

[11]Nov 5, 2007
    • level: 8
    Twin Peaks is one of the best, if not the best tv show of the 90's along with The X-Files which is my all time fav show.

lowellriggsiam

[12]Nov 13, 2007
    • level: 4

Twin peaks was quite a good show. I saw only the prequel movie "Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me". It wasn't until about 10 years later I rented the series from Netflix. After I watched the first episode I was hooked. Follwing my completion of the first season I couldn't believe that such a surreal and infiniate series could have been canceled, that's where the second season came into play. The second season was extremely overplayed more forced, and less surreal. Revealing one more piece of the puzzle after the other nothing was left to the imagination and the earlier feelings of association and intense agrivation withered. I can see why it failed.

Overall I would say that the series was good as long as you ignore the second season.

Vega199

[13]Nov 16, 2007

I dont know why theres no love for the second season. I loved it. In fact i liked it alot more than the first. The only bad things I can point out are the pointless side stories they had like Shelly and Bobby watching over Leo or James leaving Twin Peaks and getting into trouble and maybe even Ben Horne's temporary insanity but at least that went somewhere.

I will admit it would have made alot more sence to have completed the Laura Palmer arc in the first season and then of had devoted the second season to the Black Lodge mystery.

NptuneSunnydle

[14]Apr 11, 2008

ghostysshow wrote:
    The lull that occurs in the middle of season 2 had something to do with a storyline that was rejected by one of the actors. He simply refused to do it. \

I'm curious..would this storyline you are talking about be the James storyline? That was the real low part of the series for me. Or are you talking about something Lynch/Frost wanted to do but one of the actors refused?

JBBO3314_basic

[15]Apr 16, 2008
    The show was great but the second season after the Palmer murder was solved, was bad and thats being easy on it. I mean it just looked like it had no direction or sense of where to go. Toward the end it did pick up but it could not compare to the main plot and the murder.

giospurs

[16]Apr 22, 2008
    • level: 3
    I can't believe no one's mentioned David Duchovny playing an FBI agent in TP, when comparing it with X-Files.

JBBO3314_basic

[17]Apr 22, 2008
    whats the point of mentioning it? Twin Peaks is nothing like X-Files, Just because he was in the show doesn't mean anything. I mean Kyle Maclachlan was in sex in the city does that make that show like Twin Peaks?

razberry1

[18]May 22, 2008
    I am watching TP in fancast right now... I remember seeing it a long time ago..It's nothing special, but it's neither good nor bad either...

wowbobwow38

[19]Oct 22, 2008
    Twin Peaks was not only an amazing show, but except for Moonlighting, was the most innovative show at that point on television. It broke television wide open, after Twin Peaks came Northern Exposure, the X Files, American Gothic (remember that one?) and Picket Fences just to name a few. The debt that televison owes to Twin Peaks is indescribable.

Mozart_Eleven

[20]Sep 1, 2009
    • level: 3
    Twin Peaks was a really great show. Very different but definitely worth watching.