Twin Peaks

ABC (ended 1991)

Twin Peaks Fan Reviews page 2 of 3

• Really nice!

Angelo Badalamenti's sweet theme begins as smokestacks billow, and a robin assures the viewer of the presence of love in a little town located through the pines, just this side of sanity...or reality. Either way you choose to look at it (and the choice is yours), every episode of this groundbreaking television show grabbed the viewer in its seductive and destructive web... and wouldn't let go. "Twin Peaks" began a string of weird television shows in the early 90's, but, unlike those later shows, "Twin Peaks" would be beloved and remembered long after it was off the air. "Twin Peaks" has earned a spot next to "The Twilight Zone", "Night Gallery", and "Star Trek" in terms of pioneering television and in terms of a cult following deserving of conventions and fanzines. I believe that F.B.I. Special Agent Dale Cooper is one of the most enjoyable and inspiring characters in television history. His simple passions and quirky behavior was a welcomed sight in our living rooms every week during the shows very short run in the late 80's and early 90's. "Twin Peaks" started out on fire, gaining exposure during the pilot's multiple airings. The mystery of Laura Palmer's murderer practically invented conversations at the water cooler. However, the shows second season was scheduled to air on Saturday nights at 10:00, an advertiser's no-man's land. And, with the shows fan base out on the late weekend nights, the shows network decided to cancel it. David Lynch, the shows co-creator, directed a theatrically released film prequel to "Twin Peaks", showing all who missed the shows airings what really happened to Laura the week of her death, and, finally, her killer. As a huge fan of "Twin Peaks", I will tell you that the circle of events that occur within the story enable the viewer to relive the events over and over, each time around with more intensity than before. When you view the movie prequel, diving right back into the series becomes the natural path, allowing one to see things again for what they really are... or aren't. I highly recommend owning the entire series. Without a network messing up your viewing time, you can see the mystery unfold at your own pace. Viewing "Twin Peaks-Fire Walk With Me", along with the television pilot and the entire 29 episode series (about 33 hours all together), is the most fascinating and satisfying viewing experience that the entertainment industry has offered me so far. The music, costumes, editing, acting, and direction all received Emmy nominations, leading one to conclude that "Twin Peaks" not only satisfied the public, but the critics as well.
  • The show that started with a murdered homecoming queen, and ended with the most original series finale ever.

What could possibly be said about this show that hasn't already been said?

I never had the pleasure to watch it while it was on ABC, because I was too young, and I lived in an area where we didn't get ABC. But, now having seen the show, I now realize why everybody raves about it, because it is that good. The fact that Dale Cooper is an upstanding person is extremely refreshing, even 17 years after the initial broadcast. If you look at some of the shows that are on now, all the main characters that are male are either a bad ass, or a suave and arrogant. Dale Cooper isn't that, he's a nice guy. Each character is great, and they each have their own uniqueness to them, and that can't be said about a lot of television shows on now. This show is truly an American classic, and I could rattle off episode by episode what makes this a great show, and tell you about scenes, but I'm not. This show is best to be seen by your own eyes, and then make of it what you will. Television is better medium because of this show, it helped improved the landscape. I've seen on places where people complained that the show lost something after the killer of Laura Palmer was revealed, I disagree I think the show still held up nicely.
  • The untimely death of a young woman leads a FBI agent to unravel the secrets of life in a strange small town.

The untimely death of a young woman leads a FBI agent to unravel the secrets of life in a strange small town. Yes, Laura Palmer is dead. This beautiful young woman was found murdered. Special Agent Dale Cooper is called to the town to figure out who did it. Twin Peaks boasts a terrific diner with a damn fine cup of coffee, gorgeous scenery and a host of insular citizens from whom Cooper must coax the details of the victim's life and disappearance. Who last saw her alive? What were her friends like? Why does the truth look so much stranger than fiction? This show was crafted by a crew including legendary art filmmaker David Lynch. He continued his tradition of 'fever dream'-like visuals that took the viewer in and out of a surreal dream world just under the surface of reality. It stands today as one of the most jarring, puzzling but richly rewarding series in the history of television.
  • What a fantastic ensemble!

If Twin Peaks could have aired ten years later, it would have been SO HUGE!! It was a truly fantastic show, but had the misfortune of airing at a time when America wasn't ready for serial-type dramas.

Now with TiVo and episode downloads, people don't worry so much about missing an episode.

With a phenomenal cast, gripping plot and hilarious dialogue, I don't think I could ever tire of watching this show.

I love how every little detail in the investigation of Laura Palmer's death turned out to be important, and how Agent Cooper was always a step ahead of everyone else.
  • From the quirky black humour to the truly terrifying, Twin Peaks remains the stuff of legends.

Twin Peaks was mesmerizing -- television at its absolute best! There were so many aspects to this amazingly well written show it's hard to know exactly where to begin...

While it's true that there was a noticeable decline in quality after Laura Palmer's murder had been solved, the show remained intriguing and provocative right up to the end. The shot of Leo in his wheelchair after Shelly and Bobby had thrown that party for him will haunt me to my grave. Creeptastic!

Dale Cooper is, was, and ever shall be, one of the best written characters in the history of television. All his quirks, every idiosyncrasy so well crafted all the viewer can do is sit in utter amazement and watch him work his magic.

The one and only draw-back I can find with this otherwise stellar show (and the reason I didn't give it a 10), is the character of James Hurley. The guy was loathsome with a capital 'L'. I've never known such joy as I experienced the day he road his hog off into the sunset and out of my life for good (preferably over one of those nice cliffs so plentiful along the Pacific coast). However, one replusive character does not a bad show make.
  • Dark and Deliciously Insipid

This show rocked! It's characters were weird, sexy, dirty and downright ugly. It successfully blurred the lines between reality and fantasy, presenting the evil side of human nature alongside a slim vision of hope. Long before Northern Exposure and X-Files, Twin Peaks was exploring screwed up relationships, the macabre and the paranormal without excuses or misgivings.

If you're a Lynch fan, you'll love the series. It's full of symbolism and allusion, disjointed plot lines, funky camera angles and all manner of strangeness. The theme music is an excellent accompaniment, deftly capturing the mood of the series.

Sadly, Lynch did not direct all the episodes and some of these, during Season II, stick out like sore thumbs. Despite this, directors attempted to maintain a mostly Lynchian visual style.
  • This show was sooo good it shuold have been on television for so much longer!

I was told I 'just had' to watch this show! So I did and what can I say. I was hooked from the very first episode. Originally I thought that the idea was relatively simple. A girl is found dead and the FBI are called into try and solve the mystery becasue the small town sheriff can not cope alone. I love the 'sci-fi' feel. Not quite normal but not all unexplainable. I'm very disappointed that it stopped at two seasons. After watching the last episode I was reeling, so much as there were still so many questions left unanswered. All the what ifs.......
  • The best tv show... perhaps ever.

Twin Peaks was the strangest thing on tv in the early 1990s when it aired... and it still remains as one of the creepiest, darkest, wackiest adventures ever to air on network tv. It was brilliantly written, passionately acted by a stunning ensemble cast, and utterly captivating, even in its insanity and second-season moments of painful chaos. David Lynch is an absolute master of his own peculiar genre in film. Considering his penchant for all things bloody, deranged, and non-linear, however, one might think that TV might not be the best venue for his talents. But somehow he created (along with other very talented people) an incredibly smart and eager show that actually managed to seem normal enough on the surface (as all Lynchian scenarios do, at the beginning) that it created a fan base. And he took us on a wild ride through the town of Twin Peaks, where we were scared of what might come next and enchanted by the possibilities. It was in the second season that, sadly, Lynch's exuberant madness became a little too much for the TV genre. But even with only 2 seasons, I think that Twin Peaks was one of the, if not the, best television show to have ever aired. It broke all kinds of molds (the camera angles! The lighting! The soundtrack! The s...l...o...w moments that are usally only allowed in films, and independent dramas at that!) and can't be matched for the sheer richness of it. Everything from Cooper's tortured Philadelphia history to Ben and Jerry's trips across the water had layers and layers of meaning and allusion -- a level of complexity that I don't think network TV has ever shown before, and probably never will again.
  • Who Killed Laura Palmer??

So when I was in high school my friends and I bought the VHS of Twin Peaks and sat down for a long weekend and watched the whole thing. I loved it. I still quote from it. I made my parents watch it and they liked it. It is sooo strange and sooo good. Reason’s that it is good:

D*mn fine coffee
    There’s a fish in the percolator
    My log does not judge
    The owls are not what they seem
    David Duchovny in a dress
    One Eyed Jacks MFAP
    Fire Walk with Me
    The Black Lodge
  • The death of a promising young woman leads an intrepid law enforcement officer to unravel the secrets of life in a highly strange small town.

Laura Palmer is dead.

The beautiful young woman was found murdered, and no one seems to know who did it, nor who would want to. Special Agent Dale Cooper is called to the town to figure out why.

Twin Peaks boasts a terrific diner, gorgeous scenery and a host of insular citizens from whom Cooper must coax the details of the victim's life and disappearance. Who last saw her alive? What were her friends like? Why does the truth look so much stranger than fiction?

'Twin Peaks' was a law unto itself.
  • I think about this show all of the time. A great murder mystery with fantastic writing. Writen by the Guy who did the movie "Blue Velvet" I think his name was David Lynch.

What a great show this was. There is a missing girl from the town on Twin Peaks who is found dead around a train I think. The FBI sends an agent to investigate the murder. Special Agent Dale Cooper is the man sent to handle things. This was a town that appeared to only have bizarre people in it. A lady had a patch on her eye and if I remember correctly she would switch which eye it was on. Agent Cooper had to deal with all the strange people as well as trying to solve the crime. I wish this show was still on or they could make something like it and catch that lightning in a bottle again.
  • Great quriky murder mystery.

How very odd. I was just thinking tonight how no show had my gripping interest since Twin Peaks. I thought the writing was excellent and the casting was near perfect. Talk about odd and quirky, there was just a commerical for Myth Busters or is it Mythbusters? Anyway, they are doing an episode on exploding pants. Exploding pants, is this really a problem somewere? Maybe in Twin Peaks it might be, but not in the real world. Well, I think Kyle McGloclin was great as the lead. I don't know why other people got tired of it i wanted it to keep going.
  • Offbeat, at time bizarre, crime drama. I've never seen anything like it.

What a great show. A missing girl from the town on Twin Peaks is found dead. The FBI is called in to investigate. Special Agent Dale Cooper is chose for the task. Agent Cooper had no idea what he was getting himself into when he first stepped foot in this crazy town.

This was a town that appeared to have zero normal people in it. Some people had patches on their eye for no apparent reason. Midgets talking backwards and in rhymes. Agent Cooper had to deal with all the strange happenings as he tried to discover the killer of this young girl. A great show that was canceled way too soon. I would love to see another show like this.

• A true clasic of the genre. A shame we won't see it again.

Watching mystery series like Invasion and Lost has really made me appreciate the skillful storytelling and solid structure of Twin Peaks. In the former two, I have seen episodes which have brought us no closer to the truth, and which seem to be leading the viewer down a blind alley. In Twin Peaks, no moment was ever wasted, there were no throwaway lines, no filler, no characters who were anything less than essential.

Dale Cooper as the fish out of water detective was a great advocate of the audience as we were plunged into the weird town of Twin Peaks. He asked the questions we wanted to ask, and when, at the end of the first season, he was shot, it was as if we cut adrift in an unfamiliar town. It was a real cliffhanger, and J.J. Abrams would do well to take heed.

The visual splendour of Twin Peaks was also unique, it's strong, sometimes sickening, colour schemes and the claustrophobic Red Room scenes were like nothing seen on TV before. When the final episodes revealed the killer of Laura Palmer, the horror was heightened by the lurid colours and the assualt on the vision from rooms completely decked in wood pannelling or flock wallpaper.

Twin Peaks was a masterpiece which holds many lessons for those writing today.
  • Brilliant. Just about the perfect show. It was edgy, strange, artistic, well-written and often unsettling. Sparse humour softened the black scripts--always witty or touching; never silly, smarmy or apologetic. The show revelled in its darkness, which

This show challenged its viewers just as the films of David Lynch do. Those who thought found it too silly or unbelievable were trying to understand the show as a simple narrative -- a form Lynch simply does not understand. His work is based on impression, suggestion and atmosphere. I suspect he may have begun his career as a painter, based on how he uses filmstock to create an animated canvas.

Does this make it good? It depends on what you like. If narrative is what you want and if you want a show to eventually reveal rational answers for all of the questions that arise, you will hate Lynch's work. As in real life, he leaves many things unknown. Likewise, if you believe in a static reality that is experienced the same way by most sane people, you will hate this show. Lynch develops a reality that is subjective and dramatically affected by inprepretation and perspective, and develops this reality through the varied perceptions of his characters.

I take it back - he may have been a psychologist in a past life, he is so keenly aware of the vagaries of perception and that "normal" is a concept that makes for tidy categorizations but rarely applies in real life.

For those who believe that normalcy, sexuality, sense of humour and morality are fluid concepts that cannot be defined by firm categories, Lynch's work provides an odd comfort zone, exposing a complicated reality that those on the fringe can easily relate to. For those who feel most comfortable on solid ground where facets of humanity can be easily categorized, Lynch is sure to provide a bumpy and unsettleing ride.

For Lynch, the stories are secondary. Exploring the complicated inner world of the human mind is the key.

That said, the stories of Twin Peaks were compelling and in many ways, starkly real. A brilliant show, sure to be loved by anyone who adored Mulholland Dr. or other of Lynch's surreal works.

Warning: this show gets weirder as it goes along.

• An amazing achievement in television.

Twin Peaks contains the most bizarre characters (for instance Nadeen, the one-eyed lady with super-strength), situations, and events in any television show to date. The mystery of finding the murderer of Laura Palmer proved baffling and strange, while the Windam Earl conflict was thrilling. Even the vast number of minute sub-plots contained will peak your interst untill the very end. My only gripe, is that it ended far too early. This lead the to many unresolved issues such as the whole Josie dresser knob thing and the truth behind the white and black lodges, neither of which were actually entered. The series also ended very depressingly and I pray for David Lynch to make an epilog movie to show that what happened with Cooper is resolved.
  • unique and influential

This show has had many a influence on me over the years, both on my personal life and on my professional life. The writing is so amazing it is out of this world. The characters are so strange but so real. The atmosphere is right on target. David Lynch, especially, is a master at portraying the most basic, deep, and raw aspects of human nature beautifully (but not always positively)in its surrounding nature.Nothing I have seen on television since has matched it in quality.For the longest time I was angry with how it ended yet now I think there could have been no better, sadder, mysteryous ending than that.After 15 years, I keep on finding new things after every screening.
  • Absolutly the best of ever in this cathegory!

It's is hard to say anything from this genious show. This was the first serious in the Tv, that showed us, TV freeks, that there can be Hollywood-like series int the Tv too! It shocked us, it was terribly funny in the beginning, and incredibly addictive. You laughed in the beginning of a moment, and in the end of it you wanted to cry. Why? Why was it so ONE and only? What was the magic in it? You have to see it for yourself. It's a typical work of the famous director David Lynch! Angelo Badalamentis music is so incredibly good, like John Williams's in Star Wars. The actors made a proffesional job. You believed every moment, it was so real, and so unreal in the same way. The feelings in your heart and soul are so difficult to explain, as you watching it... Have a try!!!
  • [recensione in italiano]

David Lynch costruisce un capolavoro descrivendo le vite ed i misteri tra gli abitanti di Twin Peaks in una delle serie cult dei primi anni '90. Tutto entra nel mito: i personaggi, gli oggetti, i paesaggi. Una sceneggiatura che tiene incollati gli spettatori puntata dopo puntata, "nonostante" lo stile del regista che non sempre è digerito dal grande pubblico.Ed in effetti con il proseguio delle vicende c'è il rischio di perdersi tra gli incubi di Lynch. E' una seria da riscoprire, perchè twin peaks ha ispirato molti telefilm degli anni successivi da X-files ai più recenti Lost e Desperate Housewives, in pratica ha inventato il serial drama!
  • Twin Peaks changed the way I look at telivision.

Twin Peaks changed the face of te"love"vision for this viewer. I had never before been so intrigued, frightened, and sometimes confused by a telivision show. "Bob" sometimes, still keeps me awake at night. If you have never tasted the cherry pie and cup of joe that is "Twin Peaks", please give it a try. Shows like "Lost" (another favorite) survive today because "T.P" forged the way. A beautiful series, I miss it dearly.
  • I really don't understand what we're supposed to write in here... Is it our favorite epsiode? Can't pick one! Lol!

Twin Peaks is one of the most amazing tv shows to have ever graced the television universe! It's a show like no other, with a breath-taking story treatment. I must confess I probably watched it too many times, but it's so absolutely well done. I'm spleechless when it comes to Twin Peaks, you either love it or just plain don't get it. I love it and will always be thankful for the genius of David Lynch. He is extraordinary!
  • One of the best shows ever made!

I just newly started seeing Twin Peaks (I have seen the hole season 1) but what a show. This Series has everything
    Drama, comedy, mystery, romance, crime, horror you name it. I just love all the characters they are just right especially the “Log Lady”. The feeling over the town of Twin Peaks is also fabulous that’s really interesting is that there’s really no character that can call he or her innocent. So what can I give Twin Peaks but a big ten and call it one of the best shows ever made.
  • This is the best show of all time- stop ragging on it!

If ever you hear people who are dissapointed in a current show comparing it to Twin Peaks, don't listen to them-they clearly have no idea what they're talking about.
    This show rules, because there's nothing missing- comedy: Windom Earle's Log Lady disguise; noir: Jose and Eckhart; tearjerker: Laura's murder is announced; mystery: who killed Laura Palmer; tension: Cooper held hostage; horror: BOB, and answers! Yes, all you need to do is watch the episodes and the film in order, and all is revealed, although not in boring/ simple exposition, by the story's end we find out everything- who killed Laura, and the nature of her murder, what happened to Cooper in the Black Lodge, the relevance of the ring, the owls, the blue rose. Immerse yourself in the world of Twin Peaks, and the answers become clear- more than that, the questions become logical.
    So there are still some things which are not fully explained, such as the backwards talk in the Black Lodge, but the whole point is that it is a place which defies explanation, and so dramatically it works better this way. Other unimportant mysteries, such as the nature of the little man from another place have even been explained since- he is Mike's (BOB's ex killing partner) severed arm.
    Much remains open to interpretation, but the mystery is solved in full by the end. All that we do not get is closure, but with the sheer strength of that final cliffhanger, any continuation of the original characters would be bound to dissapoint.
    There's never been a better time to give this show a chance (although there will be once they finally release the season 2 DVD), so try it- you won't be dissapointed.
  • One of my all time favourite shows...

I saw the series when I was about 17 years old, and I considered myself a pretty cool and tough person but Twin Peaks proved this to be a thoroughly wrong idea. Several episodes nearly scared me out of my wits, but I was hooked nonetheless. Why? Because I have always been a person that mainly takes in information through the eyes, and Twin Peaks was a thoroughly visual thing. This is not surprising; David Lynch is famous for his ways to transport his intentions with images.
    With Twin Peakshe he set a new standard for style and design in TV-shows, because he treated the whole series with the care and effort of an expensive movie: the characters were extremely well-chosen, the settings were unique and the music...well, the music still gives me the creep.
  • A brilliant escape from reality; what TV shows should aspire to be

Twin Peaks is unique in every way. It is almost unbelievable that a series so near-perfect and daring like Twin Peaks could be shown in nationwide TV. David Lynch didn't sell-out as he turned to the small screen, instead he took TV to new forms: never before and after have I seen a TV series that made such a lasting impression. I love each and every character, the brillant dialogues, the beautiful cast (Lara Flynn Boyle! Kyle MacLachlan!) and - best of all - a storytelling so absurd, obscure and perfect that you can only wonder how they made it. Its not only my favourite TV series, it has some of the best scenes ever filmed (the second murder, BOB, etc). And BOB scared me to death, ten years ago and also nowadays - I've seen the Twin Peaks Series now 5 times in its entirety and it is as good as the first time.
  • Of all the hit dramas on television, Twin Peaks is one of the very best. It had it all...mystery, interesting characters, good plot with twists, and comic relief. I am glad it's been released on video, I can't wait for season 2 to come out on dvd.

Of all the hit dramas on television, Twin Peaks is one of the very best. It had it all...mystery, interesting characters, good plot with twists, and comic relief. I am glad it's been released on video, I can't wait for season 2 to come out on dvd. For all those who "don't get it" or thought it was a waste of time, watch it again, just a couple of episodes. You may just find its quirkiness refreshing. Especially with all the reality and detective shows on tv now. This was a twist and a look at how even small towns can have very large problems.
  • One of the most influential TV shows of the 1990s ... and in my personal top 10 shows of all time.

Even after being off the air for well over a decade Twin Peaks has lost none of its quirky and queasy power to get under your skin and haunt your dreams. This show is addictively wicked.

Black humour and spooky moments abound in this brilliant David Lynch production. It is a series you would need to watch from the very start to follow the complicated twists and turns in the plot ... but it is well worth the effort.

Twin Peaks is about the investigation into the murder of local girl Laura Palmer. As the story unfolds it becomes apparent that no one is as they appear in this town (and that includes eccentric FBI investigator, Agent Dale Cooper).
    To say the characters are quirky is putting it mildly, it may be more accurate to say they are verging on the insane which certainly makes it impossible to figure out who the murderer is ... most of the population of Twin Peaks have secrets they don't want exposed.
    This series became cult viewing in the 90's and it is easy to see why. David Lynch has produced a masterpiece that dares to be different and makes no apology for it. Brilliant, bizarre, funny, moving, it will make you laugh and cry.

Highly recommended.
  • Very much ahead of it's time and very much underappreciated, not made for the masses, but one of the best shows T.V. has ever seen.

David Lynch(Blue Velvet, Mullholland Drive,Eraserhead) has never been known to dissapoint when it comes to fascinatingly bizzarre and incredibly great works. Twin Peaks being his only outting into the world of T.V. is in no way a dissapointment of any kind. The show follows Agent Cooper (Kyle MacLachlan) as he tries to uncover the secrets of a murder in a small, sometimes quirky, and always strange and secretive town. Instead of being your average run-of-the-mill cop show or mystery show, Twin Peaks takes constant turns into the occult with amazing results that only heighten the intensity often tense episodes. Cooper isn't your average FBI agent either, as he takes repeated trips to the local diner for their "damn good coffee" and "damn good pie" for some comic relief. Lynch's storyline takes strange twist after strange twist and I don't wish to ruin any surprises, but if you're familiar with his other work you CANNOT miss this show, or even if you just want to see a good drama. I guarantee you'll be hooked from episode one.
  • A true original

Much has been said about how bad Twin Peaks got during its second season. I watched it while it was on and at the time I agreed. However, a few years back I bought the entire series on video and have watched it twice through again. Watching the episodes all at once rather than one a week or every few weeks depending on pre-emptions, it actually is pretty good. No, it's nowhere near as good as season 1, but it would have been impossible to top season 1. Twin Peaks was the most original thing to come along in years. I only wish we could have had a wrap-up movie instead of Fire Walk With Me.
  • One of the few shows I was hooked from the moment I watched the first episode.

Twin Peaks was truly memorable. I missed it during season's one initial run, but caught it during the reruns and was instantly fascinated. This show was the antithesis of Murder She Wrote and others like it. This was no cold, faceless death. The death of one girl, sent shock waves throughout the town in a way that I had never seen on TV before. The only comparison was on the first episode of Wonder Years, with the death of Winnie's brother, or on the 5th season episode of Buffy, "The Body", when Buffy's mom died. There was genuine emotion on Twin Peaks. The question became, were you turned off by the supernatural goings on, or were you drawn into them? Personally I was hooked till the end. Although, I still wish they had given it a proper ending, instead of leaving us all wondering.
1 2 3