Twin Peaks

ABC (ended 1991)

Twin Peaks Fan Reviews (66)

• Well, some may say Twin Peaks was OK, but actually it was just a waste of my time. Everything was pretty much predictable and I also coudn't stand the thought that NOONE is innocent in the town of Twin Peaks!

I really enjoyed the first few episodes of the series, actually the whole first season was just fine. It was a very origial plot, also very unique was that one day equaled one episode, but then at the beginning of the second season the producers started to complicate things so much, I just didn't know who to like and who to dislike in the show. Everyone was guilty of something. The episodes became disordered, boring, sometimes the producers even filled the episode with some stupid song played by one of the characters. And what a playback that was, hands on guitar or on piano moved so wrong and the vocals were completely different then before...and those dreamy fantasies about the Giant, please, how lame was that?
    Anyhow, Twin Peaks had potential, but it wasn't used. And...it got cancelled one season too late.
  • Twin Peaks .... brilliant?? Really??

Maybe I am the only person in the whole world that feels this way but I found Twin Peaks to be the most contrived TV series ever done. It seems as if for every episode the writers forgot to prepare and scribbled something quickly the night before. I know they attempted to do something outside the box but it made no sense. In some cases the acting was even a bit overdone and painful to watch. Why is it called one of the best series of all time, I will never know. Is it a case of the emperor's new clothes???? I found the best part of this series was the pilot. it had some potential, but it went all downhill from there. It's only because of the pilot that I give this show a 3 rating instead of a 1.
  • What happened in the 2nd season??

To tell you the truth I am only halfway through season 2, but I have to say it is "numbing my buns" ... there were intriguing characters, storylines, mysteries throughout season 1. As soon as an episode ended I had already clicked on the next one. (Actually to be honest, I watched half of the first episode after hearing so much hype and then dumped it for about 5 months.) But when I picked it up again it was marvelous, I could really understand what people liked about it. The Palmer mystery was creepy and hooking, and then halfway through season 2 - BAM, town moves on. I get that the investigation the way it was going wouldn't have and shouldn't have lasted that long. I'm glad it ended when it did, but that should have been the culmination of the series. Twin Peaks was about Laura Palmer. when she's through, the show should be through. This isn't the O.C., it's not the chronicle of a town, it's the chronicle of a murder investigation. That's the way these types of shows are supposed to be. As soon as that era died it even seemed like the characters transformed to suit this new storyline. Audrey Horne was inserted just because she had a contract. My favorite characters were boring.

The '5' rating is for the first half, which was perfect. The other '5' disappeared with the quality of season 2.
  • Excellent if you ignore the second season

This series was make for overly analytical person's like myself. Somehow believeing that everything can be explained logically. In entertainment the laws of the universe never have to apply and seldom do. Stories have one of 5 common elements, Man VS Man, Man VS God, Man VS Nature, Man VS Self, and Man VS Society. Here not only do you have all 5, but it attemps to create an element of it's own, perhaps Man vs Logic. Twin peaks was quite a good show. I first saw the prequel movie "Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me". It wasn't until about 10 years later I rented the series from Netflix. After I watched the first episode I was hooked. Follwing my completion of the first season I couldn't believe that such a surreal and infiniate series could have been canceled, that's where the second season came into play. The second season was extremely overplayed, more forced, and less surreal. Revealing one more piece of the puzzle after the other nothing was left to the imagination and the earlier feelings of association and intense agrivation withered. I can see why it was canceled durring it's second season.

If you want to see Twin Peaks at it's best don't watch the second season it ruins the series.
  • What happens in the end?????

So I am confused. what happens in the end? is the soul of the killer in the body of cooper? and from now on he keeps killing people??
  • Twin Peaks Actor Appearing at Maryland's Mid-Atlantic Nostalgia Convention

If you're one of those Twin Peaks fanatics trying to get a photo or autograph of everyone on the show, PIper Laurie is going to be at the Mid-Atlantic Nostalgia Convention this September in Hunt Valley, Maryland. She was a real estate agent on Twin Peaks, and she was awesomely in charge and bitchy in her role. She was also in the original Carrie movie. She's not the only one scheduled to be there. Just Google it or something.
  • One of my all time favourite shows...

I saw the series when I was about 17 years old, and I considered myself a pretty cool and tough person but Twin Peaks proved this to be a thoroughly wrong idea. Several episodes nearly scared me out of my wits, but I was hooked nonetheless. Why? Because I have always been a person that mainly takes in information through the eyes, and Twin Peaks was a thoroughly visual thing. This is not surprising; David Lynch is famous for his ways to transport his intentions with images.
    With Twin Peakshe he set a new standard for style and design in TV-shows, because he treated the whole series with the care and effort of an expensive movie: the characters were extremely well-chosen, the settings were unique and the music...well, the music still gives me the creep.
  • Twin Peaks is without doubt one of the freakiest and most interesting shows of all time and it introduced people who've never before seen Elephant Man, Blue Velvet, Eraserhead, etc. to the incredible nightmarish mind of David Lynch...

Arrrgh! Season II on DVD pushed back again! My Season I box/import pilot/Fire Walk with Me look so incomplete on the shelf (well- okay- they are standing next to every Lynch movie on DVD- even an Industrial Symphony bootleg)... Twin Peaks is without doubt one of the freakiest (if not thee- only thing close I can think of in terms of freakishness is Carnivale- another show cancelled after two seasons also featuring Michael Anderson) and most interesting shows of all time and it introduced people who've never before seen Elephant Man, Blue Velvet, Eraserhead, etc. to the incredible nightmarish mind of David Lynch...
  • FBI Agent Dale Cooper travel to Twin Peaks to investigate the death of homecoming queen Laura Palmer.

"She's dead. Wrapped in plastic." The day those words were uttered TV history was made and a cult classic began. Twin Peaks created a cultural phenomenon that extended to the Oprah show, inspired a prequel movie and launched the careers of around a dozen actors, actresses and the director, David Lynch.

It all begins when the body of Laura Palmer is found wrapped in plastic on a cold beach in the Pacific Northwest town of Twin Peaks. Sheriff Harry Truman is over his head dealing with this crime and welcomes the assistance of FBI agent Dale Cooper. Harry and Dale become fast friends and share a love of good pie and a "damn good cup of coffee".

Twin Peaks is filled with interesting and odd characters, a hallmark of the show along with supernatural happenings and surreal atmosphere. Laura Palmer is the the victim. She's the Homecoming Queen and everyone loves her. But as Dale and Harry's investigation deepens, we see that Laura has a second, secret, dangerous life. Donna Hayward was Laura's best friend. Laura's "official" boyfriend was Bobby Briggs, captain of the football team and hoodlum. Bobby was also seeing married waitress Shelly and Laura was secretly seeing James Hurley. Donna knew about Laura and James, the three were best friends, soon after Laura's death, Donna and James fall in love. We also have Audrey Horne, who's dad Benjamin owned the Great Northern Hotel and Horne's Department Store. Laura's parents are Leland and Sarah, both a bit nutty. Sheriff Truman's deputies are sweet but not too bright Andy and Hawk and the receptionist is Lucy. James' uncle Ed is married to Nadine, who wears a patch over one eye. Ed is in love with Norma Jennings, owner of the local diner and married to Hank, who's in prison for man-slaughter. Shelly is married to Leo Johnson, truck driver, drug dealer and wife beater. Harry is in love with and secretly seeing Josie Packard, the widow of the deceased owner of the local sawmill. Her sister in law is Catherine Martell. Catherine is convinced that Josie has something to do with her brother's death. Catherine is married to Pete and she is having an affair with Ben Horne. Those are the major players and their stories provide the bulk of the plot aside from Laura's murder. A lot I know, but it's a complicated and involved series.

Quality-wise, Twin Peaks probably should have ended after the murder of Laura was solved. After that, it seemed to just go was off track and got extremely confusing. I won't give away the murderer, but it was someone close to Laura. Lots of twists and turns and everyone is connected to everyone in some way or another. My husband is seeing your wife, my boyfriend deals drugs for my husband, my best friend was a coke fiend and slept with everyone, and so on and so forth.

Back in the late 80's and early 90's, it was either a yearly series , mini-series(10-20 hours in 2-3 hour increments), or a 2-3 hour movie. Now, it's not unusual to see a limited run series that spans for about a dozen episodes. Twin Peaks would have done well in that format. Like I said, after Laura's murder was solved, it should have ended.

My rating---10 for Laura's murder plot, 8 afterwards. Average 9.
  • This show was sooo good it shuold have been on television for so much longer!

I was told I 'just had' to watch this show! So I did and what can I say. I was hooked from the very first episode. Originally I thought that the idea was relatively simple. A girl is found dead and the FBI are called into try and solve the mystery becasue the small town sheriff can not cope alone. I love the 'sci-fi' feel. Not quite normal but not all unexplainable. I'm very disappointed that it stopped at two seasons. After watching the last episode I was reeling, so much as there were still so many questions left unanswered. All the what ifs.......
  • Who Killed Laura Palmer??

So when I was in high school my friends and I bought the VHS of Twin Peaks and sat down for a long weekend and watched the whole thing. I loved it. I still quote from it. I made my parents watch it and they liked it. It is sooo strange and sooo good. Reason’s that it is good:

D*mn fine coffee
    There’s a fish in the percolator
    My log does not judge
    The owls are not what they seem
    David Duchovny in a dress
    One Eyed Jacks MFAP
    Fire Walk with Me
    The Black Lodge
  • [recensione in italiano]

David Lynch costruisce un capolavoro descrivendo le vite ed i misteri tra gli abitanti di Twin Peaks in una delle serie cult dei primi anni '90. Tutto entra nel mito: i personaggi, gli oggetti, i paesaggi. Una sceneggiatura che tiene incollati gli spettatori puntata dopo puntata, "nonostante" lo stile del regista che non sempre è digerito dal grande pubblico.Ed in effetti con il proseguio delle vicende c'è il rischio di perdersi tra gli incubi di Lynch. E' una seria da riscoprire, perchè twin peaks ha ispirato molti telefilm degli anni successivi da X-files ai più recenti Lost e Desperate Housewives, in pratica ha inventato il serial drama!
  • A brilliant escape from reality; what TV shows should aspire to be

Twin Peaks is unique in every way. It is almost unbelievable that a series so near-perfect and daring like Twin Peaks could be shown in nationwide TV. David Lynch didn't sell-out as he turned to the small screen, instead he took TV to new forms: never before and after have I seen a TV series that made such a lasting impression. I love each and every character, the brillant dialogues, the beautiful cast (Lara Flynn Boyle! Kyle MacLachlan!) and - best of all - a storytelling so absurd, obscure and perfect that you can only wonder how they made it. Its not only my favourite TV series, it has some of the best scenes ever filmed (the second murder, BOB, etc). And BOB scared me to death, ten years ago and also nowadays - I've seen the Twin Peaks Series now 5 times in its entirety and it is as good as the first time.
  • From the very first episode I was hooked.

I was only fourteen years old when I first saw this on television. It was unlike anything else I had ever seen. Twin Peaks has it quirky characters, irrational storylines and strange settings.

I've been a David Lynch fan ever since.

And for heaven's sake: release season 2 on DVD already!!
  • Loved this show!!! Except the ending makes me mad!!!!

I was hooked with the show from the first episode....was intrigued the entire time.....now I'm just irritated. Upset that the show was cancelled, I feel the show was changed because of this. I watched it 23 years after it was shown and cant believe how amazing it was. David Lynch was ahead of his time and wish that he would continue it if it was possible. All in all the show was AMAZING and would recommend it to EVERYONE!!!
  • From the quirky black humour to the truly terrifying, Twin Peaks remains the stuff of legends.

Twin Peaks was mesmerizing -- television at its absolute best! There were so many aspects to this amazingly well written show it's hard to know exactly where to begin...

While it's true that there was a noticeable decline in quality after Laura Palmer's murder had been solved, the show remained intriguing and provocative right up to the end. The shot of Leo in his wheelchair after Shelly and Bobby had thrown that party for him will haunt me to my grave. Creeptastic!

Dale Cooper is, was, and ever shall be, one of the best written characters in the history of television. All his quirks, every idiosyncrasy so well crafted all the viewer can do is sit in utter amazement and watch him work his magic.

The one and only draw-back I can find with this otherwise stellar show (and the reason I didn't give it a 10), is the character of James Hurley. The guy was loathsome with a capital 'L'. I've never known such joy as I experienced the day he road his hog off into the sunset and out of my life for good (preferably over one of those nice cliffs so plentiful along the Pacific coast). However, one replusive character does not a bad show make.
  • One of the few shows I was hooked from the moment I watched the first episode.

Twin Peaks was truly memorable. I missed it during season's one initial run, but caught it during the reruns and was instantly fascinated. This show was the antithesis of Murder She Wrote and others like it. This was no cold, faceless death. The death of one girl, sent shock waves throughout the town in a way that I had never seen on TV before. The only comparison was on the first episode of Wonder Years, with the death of Winnie's brother, or on the 5th season episode of Buffy, "The Body", when Buffy's mom died. There was genuine emotion on Twin Peaks. The question became, were you turned off by the supernatural goings on, or were you drawn into them? Personally I was hooked till the end. Although, I still wish they had given it a proper ending, instead of leaving us all wondering.
  • A true original

Much has been said about how bad Twin Peaks got during its second season. I watched it while it was on and at the time I agreed. However, a few years back I bought the entire series on video and have watched it twice through again. Watching the episodes all at once rather than one a week or every few weeks depending on pre-emptions, it actually is pretty good. No, it's nowhere near as good as season 1, but it would have been impossible to top season 1. Twin Peaks was the most original thing to come along in years. I only wish we could have had a wrap-up movie instead of Fire Walk With Me.
  • David Lynch, I salute you

This is the greatest series I have ever seen.

It never gets old, really (It IS an old show from the early 90s, but even today it is still one of the best things ever produced)

Interesting plot, neverending excitement, great characters (BOB is the best example)

It is a real shame such a wonderful TV masterpiece ended so quickly with a cliffhanger no less...

But we still have imagination... do we?
  • It's like I'm having the most beautiful dream and the worst nightmare at the same time -Donna Hayward

An indescribibly brilliant show that was able to somehow blend all genres together. A compelling mystery, awkwardly bizarre humor, supernatural horror, and soap opera romance (in a Peyton Place parody style). David Lynch manages to capture all of the senses perfectly; giving the show a surreally calm but eerie feeling to it.
  • This show is about a fictional small town of Twin Peaks, WA, but the show is filmed in North Bend and Snoqualmie, WA. Agent Dale Cooper is called investigate the murder of Laura Palmer, a high school homecoming queen, who is found wrapped in plastic.

I was a fan of the show since elementary school. I was nine years old and a third grader in grade school, when the show started. I was ten years old and the summer between fourth and fifth grades in grade school, when the show was cancelled. It's the greatest cult tv show of my generation. My most favorite characters are Laura Palmer (deceased) and Donna Hayward. Laura Palmer is the prototype of Lily Kane of "Veronica Mars". While Donna Hayward, Laura's best friend, is the prototype of Veronica Mars. Julee Cruise's music scores are great. It received 12 Emmy nominations, 3 Golden Globe wins, and 1 Golden Globe nomination. I was a fan of David Lynch since "Blue Velvet". The film director turned tv producer would make something that was so arthouse.
  • a show way out of it's time (spolier alerts!!!! major spoliers )

this show deat with the murder case of laura(i can not remember her last name sorry) a teenager name laura is mysterysly killed. she seemed like a regualar girl a girl with a great future. but as the case progresisis we find laura had a dark life. for the cast a fbi officer is called down. thanks to the audiance of the show they revealed the killer of laura. i think it was in season two. (by the way i hoped they would not reveal the killers name until the end of the show but people just lost their patience!!!)

the killer of laura is her dad!!!!

da da da!!!!

but laura was not the only case. while the fbi is in twin peaks he fall's in love and stays. there are many other cases. the last case would the the woods that is supposed to be dark. on the last episode the fbi agent was in the woods with the other officers when they leave he goes to his hotel. the other officers are in his bed room while he is in his bathroom. he is looking in the mirror and starts to laugh he hits his head against the mirror and continues to laugh.

that's right. this is how the show ends. but that's think to the company i think fox but i could be wrong. they kept changing the show's time and date so people could not watch it. they wanted to do another season but no one watched the show (again thinks to fox or what the channel was)

but if you have the time watch this show it is great. while laura case is going on there is soooo much more. i really would suggest watching this show. it's a great show.
  • Hollywood take note - this is how to tell a story...!

Twin Peaks was so ahead of it's time when it was released - the interweaving storyline are extremely complex, but never baffling. Unfortunately shows like this are often doomed to failure - as you have to watch every single one (which the networks never seem to like).

If you haven't seen Twin Peaks yet, I strongly suggest you get hold of it any way you can. The characters are many and varied, the direction is at times pure genius, and the story is gripping and will have you guessing right up until the end. It's like the best novel I never read!
  • One of the best movies I had ever seen!

Twin Peaks is an interesting film. It is about reavealing the murderer of a girl. The fact is that on the path to this murderer lies another series of crimes, abductions and other criminal stuff. Also there are many misteries that have to be revealed by the detective. And in his mission he gets himself trapped in this whole mistery. In a certain episode the detective actually contacts the murdered girl, but not as a ghost. He talks to her in his dreams. There are also many funny things around there. For example in his first dream, I think, the girl tells him who killed her, but forgets it when he wakes up.

This is one very good movie. I hope you saw it!
  • The show that started with a murdered homecoming queen, and ended with the most original series finale ever.

What could possibly be said about this show that hasn't already been said?

I never had the pleasure to watch it while it was on ABC, because I was too young, and I lived in an area where we didn't get ABC. But, now having seen the show, I now realize why everybody raves about it, because it is that good. The fact that Dale Cooper is an upstanding person is extremely refreshing, even 17 years after the initial broadcast. If you look at some of the shows that are on now, all the main characters that are male are either a bad ass, or a suave and arrogant. Dale Cooper isn't that, he's a nice guy. Each character is great, and they each have their own uniqueness to them, and that can't be said about a lot of television shows on now. This show is truly an American classic, and I could rattle off episode by episode what makes this a great show, and tell you about scenes, but I'm not. This show is best to be seen by your own eyes, and then make of it what you will. Television is better medium because of this show, it helped improved the landscape. I've seen on places where people complained that the show lost something after the killer of Laura Palmer was revealed, I disagree I think the show still held up nicely.
  • The untimely death of a young woman leads a FBI agent to unravel the secrets of life in a strange small town.

The untimely death of a young woman leads a FBI agent to unravel the secrets of life in a strange small town. Yes, Laura Palmer is dead. This beautiful young woman was found murdered. Special Agent Dale Cooper is called to the town to figure out who did it. Twin Peaks boasts a terrific diner with a damn fine cup of coffee, gorgeous scenery and a host of insular citizens from whom Cooper must coax the details of the victim's life and disappearance. Who last saw her alive? What were her friends like? Why does the truth look so much stranger than fiction? This show was crafted by a crew including legendary art filmmaker David Lynch. He continued his tradition of 'fever dream'-like visuals that took the viewer in and out of a surreal dream world just under the surface of reality. It stands today as one of the most jarring, puzzling but richly rewarding series in the history of television.
  • What a fantastic ensemble!

If Twin Peaks could have aired ten years later, it would have been SO HUGE!! It was a truly fantastic show, but had the misfortune of airing at a time when America wasn't ready for serial-type dramas.

Now with TiVo and episode downloads, people don't worry so much about missing an episode.

With a phenomenal cast, gripping plot and hilarious dialogue, I don't think I could ever tire of watching this show.

I love how every little detail in the investigation of Laura Palmer's death turned out to be important, and how Agent Cooper was always a step ahead of everyone else.
  • The best tv show... perhaps ever.

Twin Peaks was the strangest thing on tv in the early 1990s when it aired... and it still remains as one of the creepiest, darkest, wackiest adventures ever to air on network tv. It was brilliantly written, passionately acted by a stunning ensemble cast, and utterly captivating, even in its insanity and second-season moments of painful chaos. David Lynch is an absolute master of his own peculiar genre in film. Considering his penchant for all things bloody, deranged, and non-linear, however, one might think that TV might not be the best venue for his talents. But somehow he created (along with other very talented people) an incredibly smart and eager show that actually managed to seem normal enough on the surface (as all Lynchian scenarios do, at the beginning) that it created a fan base. And he took us on a wild ride through the town of Twin Peaks, where we were scared of what might come next and enchanted by the possibilities. It was in the second season that, sadly, Lynch's exuberant madness became a little too much for the TV genre. But even with only 2 seasons, I think that Twin Peaks was one of the, if not the, best television show to have ever aired. It broke all kinds of molds (the camera angles! The lighting! The soundtrack! The s...l...o...w moments that are usally only allowed in films, and independent dramas at that!) and can't be matched for the sheer richness of it. Everything from Cooper's tortured Philadelphia history to Ben and Jerry's trips across the water had layers and layers of meaning and allusion -- a level of complexity that I don't think network TV has ever shown before, and probably never will again.
  • The death of a promising young woman leads an intrepid law enforcement officer to unravel the secrets of life in a highly strange small town.

Laura Palmer is dead.

The beautiful young woman was found murdered, and no one seems to know who did it, nor who would want to. Special Agent Dale Cooper is called to the town to figure out why.

Twin Peaks boasts a terrific diner, gorgeous scenery and a host of insular citizens from whom Cooper must coax the details of the victim's life and disappearance. Who last saw her alive? What were her friends like? Why does the truth look so much stranger than fiction?

'Twin Peaks' was a law unto itself.
  • I think about this show all of the time. A great murder mystery with fantastic writing. Writen by the Guy who did the movie "Blue Velvet" I think his name was David Lynch.

What a great show this was. There is a missing girl from the town on Twin Peaks who is found dead around a train I think. The FBI sends an agent to investigate the murder. Special Agent Dale Cooper is the man sent to handle things. This was a town that appeared to only have bizarre people in it. A lady had a patch on her eye and if I remember correctly she would switch which eye it was on. Agent Cooper had to deal with all the strange people as well as trying to solve the crime. I wish this show was still on or they could make something like it and catch that lightning in a bottle again.
< 1 2 3