Twin Peaks

ABC (ended 1991)

keramarie

Twin Peaks Fan Reviews (66)

• Twin Peaks Actor Appearing at Maryland's Mid-Atlantic Nostalgia Convention

If you're one of those Twin Peaks fanatics trying to get a photo or autograph of everyone on the show, PIper Laurie is going to be at the Mid-Atlantic Nostalgia Convention this September in Hunt Valley, Maryland. She was a real estate agent on Twin Peaks, and she was awesomely in charge and bitchy in her role. She was also in the original Carrie movie. She's not the only one scheduled to be there. Just Google it or something.
  • Twin Peaks .... brilliant?? Really??

Maybe I am the only person in the whole world that feels this way but I found Twin Peaks to be the most contrived TV series ever done. It seems as if for every episode the writers forgot to prepare and scribbled something quickly the night before. I know they attempted to do something outside the box but it made no sense. In some cases the acting was even a bit overdone and painful to watch. Why is it called one of the best series of all time, I will never know. Is it a case of the emperor's new clothes???? I found the best part of this series was the pilot. it had some potential, but it went all downhill from there. It's only because of the pilot that I give this show a 3 rating instead of a 1.
  • What happens in the end?????

So I am confused. what happens in the end? is the soul of the killer in the body of cooper? and from now on he keeps killing people??
  • David Lynch, I salute you

This is the greatest series I have ever seen.

It never gets old, really (It IS an old show from the early 90s, but even today it is still one of the best things ever produced)

Interesting plot, neverending excitement, great characters (BOB is the best example)

It is a real shame such a wonderful TV masterpiece ended so quickly with a cliffhanger no less...

But we still have imagination... do we?
  • It's like I'm having the most beautiful dream and the worst nightmare at the same time -Donna Hayward

An indescribibly brilliant show that was able to somehow blend all genres together. A compelling mystery, awkwardly bizarre humor, supernatural horror, and soap opera romance (in a Peyton Place parody style). David Lynch manages to capture all of the senses perfectly; giving the show a surreally calm but eerie feeling to it.
  • There's No Place Like Twin Peaks

David Lynch and Mark Frost decided to collaborate on the creation of Twin Peaks and it was a match made in heaven. Twin Peaks is undoubtedly the most surprising and original piece of television I have ever seen. There's just no telling what kind of magic you'll encounter in this fictional northern US town. Often the music and unusual camera techniques create atmospheres that are chilling, erotic and just.. different!

Many actors stand out, embracing their roles enthusiastically. MacLachlan, Beymer and Wise are riveting to watch throughout.

The only reservation I have to make, is that in season 2 and 3, Lynch is mostly not doing the writing (He was busy making Wild At Heart). The other writers struggled to channel Lynch's unique vision, as might be expected. I find it's still absolutely worthwhile seeing all three seasons.

Highly influential and groundbreaking; a must-see for everyone.

• What happened?

5.5
    Don't get me wrong I love the show, it's one of the few TV shows I like; and the first season was amazing. But then around season 2, things went down hill. With that I'm not really angry, but more sad. Sad that a show that had so much potential have this happen. But at least it had gained a cult following.
  • Loved this show!!! Except the ending makes me mad!!!!

I was hooked with the show from the first episode....was intrigued the entire time.....now I'm just irritated. Upset that the show was cancelled, I feel the show was changed because of this. I watched it 23 years after it was shown and cant believe how amazing it was. David Lynch was ahead of his time and wish that he would continue it if it was possible. All in all the show was AMAZING and would recommend it to EVERYONE!!!
  • What happened in the 2nd season??

To tell you the truth I am only halfway through season 2, but I have to say it is "numbing my buns" ... there were intriguing characters, storylines, mysteries throughout season 1. As soon as an episode ended I had already clicked on the next one. (Actually to be honest, I watched half of the first episode after hearing so much hype and then dumped it for about 5 months.) But when I picked it up again it was marvelous, I could really understand what people liked about it. The Palmer mystery was creepy and hooking, and then halfway through season 2 - BAM, town moves on. I get that the investigation the way it was going wouldn't have and shouldn't have lasted that long. I'm glad it ended when it did, but that should have been the culmination of the series. Twin Peaks was about Laura Palmer. when she's through, the show should be through. This isn't the O.C., it's not the chronicle of a town, it's the chronicle of a murder investigation. That's the way these types of shows are supposed to be. As soon as that era died it even seemed like the characters transformed to suit this new storyline. Audrey Horne was inserted just because she had a contract. My favorite characters were boring.

The '5' rating is for the first half, which was perfect. The other '5' disappeared with the quality of season 2.
  • An inspiration to remember.

For the first time in my life I find absolutely no trouble in connecting a number to a review. Why ?

Well :

Cast : 10/10

Directing : 10/10

Storyline : 10/10

Mystery : 10/10

Humor : 10/10

Horror / Thrill : 10/10

I could go on forever.

This series simply have it all. The only difficult thing is to write this down without having the possibility to write 10 pages +.

But in very short terms this is in my opinion not about a murdercase or what the "Black Lodge" really is. Nor is it about if the owls really are what they seem.

- This is about the interaction between the characters. Its about how much EVERY life in Twin Peaks is worth. And most of all : how much everybody really care about each others lives. This series is by far the most human, original and philosophical drama that has ever been in the history of television. It did change my perspective of what kind of person I will be. And especially what kind of world I would like to live in.
  • Great show

I found the show quite boring at first, but after a few episodes I was caught. I finished the show january 2012, and it was the first time I saw it, and 21 years after it was cancelled, it's still a really great show! I didn't like the end but it was really a Lynch/Frost ending! I followed up with Twin Peaks: Fire walk with me and couldn't stand 15 min. Imo the movie is the worst piece of crap ever made and it only destroyed the magic of Twin Peaks. However, the series is genoius and I have a huge crush on Dale Cooper. I love that Lynch was in it and I loved Gordon Cole :)
  • Mandatory.

This was a ground-breaking show and it's mandatory for every one who calls himself a fan of tv shows.

This show paved way for every other wierdo-drama-mystery show which came after and if probably the only thing by David Lynch I can remotely say I like - and this I actually love, which is trange 'cause I hate just about every single other thing he did and kind of consider him an over-hyped doer of half-scripts for pseudo-indie-know-it-alls - and I've read several reports that is may actually have to do with Mr. Mar Frost's involvement in writing the show. Later he was back- stabbed by Lynch as to make a prequel.

Ah well, I digress. Watch this show. It's great.
  • Well, some may say Twin Peaks was OK, but actually it was just a waste of my time. Everything was pretty much predictable and I also coudn't stand the thought that NOONE is innocent in the town of Twin Peaks!

I really enjoyed the first few episodes of the series, actually the whole first season was just fine. It was a very origial plot, also very unique was that one day equaled one episode, but then at the beginning of the second season the producers started to complicate things so much, I just didn't know who to like and who to dislike in the show. Everyone was guilty of something. The episodes became disordered, boring, sometimes the producers even filled the episode with some stupid song played by one of the characters. And what a playback that was, hands on guitar or on piano moved so wrong and the vocals were completely different then before...and those dreamy fantasies about the Giant, please, how lame was that?
    Anyhow, Twin Peaks had potential, but it wasn't used. And...it got cancelled one season too late.
  • David Lynch! What else must i say? I hope nothing...

David Lynch! What else must i say? I hope nothing... He is a true genius! His movies (Lost Highway, Mullholland drive, etc.) are the best and most original nowadays. Twin Peaks: brilliant, dark, gothic (in its good meaning): it's like a poem (Edgar Allan Poe just to mention the greatest). Not for everybody, if you seek some easy fun, dont even get close to this. If you liked it I say try Lovecraft, Poe, Byron or something like that, you wont be dissapointed. But thats just an opinion, and i cant be objective, if its about Lynch. Sorry if my review has any faults left, i never learned english in school just in private.
  • "Twin Peaks" is one of the most imaginative, surreal, mysterious and bizarre shows ever on network television.

"Twin Peaks" is one of the most imaginative, surreal, mysterious and bizarre shows ever on network television. Created by iconic filmmaker David Lynch (Eraserhead/Lost Highway) and TV producer/writer Mark Frost (Hill Street Blues), the story takes place in the fictional town of Twin Peaks, Washington. It is the incredible tale of the brutal death of the popular homecoming queen Laura Palmer (Sheryl Lee), and its investigation lead by FBI Special Agent Dale Cooper (Kyle MacLachlan) and town Sheriff Harry S. Truman (Michael Ontkean), told in three different acts.

The fantastic first act is the first season, consisting of the pilot and the first seven episodes, that has the perfect harmony of mystery, humor and down right strangeness! (5 stars). Its popularity made it the most watched show that season, and a Emmy nomination for Best TV Drama, and a Golden Globe win for Best TV Drama.

The second act is the first half of the 22 episodes of the second season, and where the magic slowly starts to unravel (4 stars). The main storyline concerning the murder of Laura Palmer starts spinning it's wheels and going nowhere, until it is abruptly concluded by the strong urging of the studio heads at ABC because of declining ratings at the mid-season mark. Of course, this was a stupid and detrimental move that spelled the ultimate death of the show.

Once the Laura Palmer storyline was solved and the third act begins (the second half of season two) (3 1/2 stars), the show never really finds a purpose. The Cooper/Windom Earle storyline is decent, but the the kids storyline just keeps bringing the show down (James being framed for murder by a seductress). By this time, most casual fans of the show didn't care anymore and "Twin Peaks" was eventually canceled after the second season, leaving a cliffhanger that probably will never be answered, and debated by fans for all time.

A feature film was produced a year later, "Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me". The movie never answered any questions, and told the story of the last seven days of Laura Palmer's life, and the similar murder of another young girl named Teresa Banks, a year prior to Laura's murder by BOB.
  • This show is about a fictional small town of Twin Peaks, WA, but the show is filmed in North Bend and Snoqualmie, WA. Agent Dale Cooper is called investigate the murder of Laura Palmer, a high school homecoming queen, who is found wrapped in plastic.

I was a fan of the show since elementary school. I was nine years old and a third grader in grade school, when the show started. I was ten years old and the summer between fourth and fifth grades in grade school, when the show was cancelled. It's the greatest cult tv show of my generation. My most favorite characters are Laura Palmer (deceased) and Donna Hayward. Laura Palmer is the prototype of Lily Kane of "Veronica Mars". While Donna Hayward, Laura's best friend, is the prototype of Veronica Mars. Julee Cruise's music scores are great. It received 12 Emmy nominations, 3 Golden Globe wins, and 1 Golden Globe nomination. I was a fan of David Lynch since "Blue Velvet". The film director turned tv producer would make something that was so arthouse.
  • a show way out of it's time (spolier alerts!!!! major spoliers )

this show deat with the murder case of laura(i can not remember her last name sorry) a teenager name laura is mysterysly killed. she seemed like a regualar girl a girl with a great future. but as the case progresisis we find laura had a dark life. for the cast a fbi officer is called down. thanks to the audiance of the show they revealed the killer of laura. i think it was in season two. (by the way i hoped they would not reveal the killers name until the end of the show but people just lost their patience!!!)

the killer of laura is her dad!!!!

da da da!!!!

but laura was not the only case. while the fbi is in twin peaks he fall's in love and stays. there are many other cases. the last case would the the woods that is supposed to be dark. on the last episode the fbi agent was in the woods with the other officers when they leave he goes to his hotel. the other officers are in his bed room while he is in his bathroom. he is looking in the mirror and starts to laugh he hits his head against the mirror and continues to laugh.

that's right. this is how the show ends. but that's think to the company i think fox but i could be wrong. they kept changing the show's time and date so people could not watch it. they wanted to do another season but no one watched the show (again thinks to fox or what the channel was)

but if you have the time watch this show it is great. while laura case is going on there is soooo much more. i really would suggest watching this show. it's a great show.
  • A cult TV series, one of the best

Laura Palmer (Sheryl Lee) is one of the most beloved residents of the small town of Twin Peaks, so it comes as a huge shocker when she is found dead. Special Agent Dale Cooper (Kyle McLaughlan) is called in to town to help with the case, and the possible murderers are many. Also in the town of Twin Peaks, or in the outskirt forests, are many secrets, and supernatural happenings. It's just so unique and bizarre. I loved all the characters even the minor ones. Twin Peaks is for the paranormal audience who can appreciate its dynamic creation. Twin Peaks is the best cult series ever. The characters are great the dancing dwarf, BOB, the Log lady and so on; plus the dreamy music is wonderful. Everyone should see this show and it should be noted that you really need to pay attention.
  • FBI Agent Dale Cooper travel to Twin Peaks to investigate the death of homecoming queen Laura Palmer.

"She's dead. Wrapped in plastic." The day those words were uttered TV history was made and a cult classic began. Twin Peaks created a cultural phenomenon that extended to the Oprah show, inspired a prequel movie and launched the careers of around a dozen actors, actresses and the director, David Lynch.

It all begins when the body of Laura Palmer is found wrapped in plastic on a cold beach in the Pacific Northwest town of Twin Peaks. Sheriff Harry Truman is over his head dealing with this crime and welcomes the assistance of FBI agent Dale Cooper. Harry and Dale become fast friends and share a love of good pie and a "damn good cup of coffee".

Twin Peaks is filled with interesting and odd characters, a hallmark of the show along with supernatural happenings and surreal atmosphere. Laura Palmer is the the victim. She's the Homecoming Queen and everyone loves her. But as Dale and Harry's investigation deepens, we see that Laura has a second, secret, dangerous life. Donna Hayward was Laura's best friend. Laura's "official" boyfriend was Bobby Briggs, captain of the football team and hoodlum. Bobby was also seeing married waitress Shelly and Laura was secretly seeing James Hurley. Donna knew about Laura and James, the three were best friends, soon after Laura's death, Donna and James fall in love. We also have Audrey Horne, who's dad Benjamin owned the Great Northern Hotel and Horne's Department Store. Laura's parents are Leland and Sarah, both a bit nutty. Sheriff Truman's deputies are sweet but not too bright Andy and Hawk and the receptionist is Lucy. James' uncle Ed is married to Nadine, who wears a patch over one eye. Ed is in love with Norma Jennings, owner of the local diner and married to Hank, who's in prison for man-slaughter. Shelly is married to Leo Johnson, truck driver, drug dealer and wife beater. Harry is in love with and secretly seeing Josie Packard, the widow of the deceased owner of the local sawmill. Her sister in law is Catherine Martell. Catherine is convinced that Josie has something to do with her brother's death. Catherine is married to Pete and she is having an affair with Ben Horne. Those are the major players and their stories provide the bulk of the plot aside from Laura's murder. A lot I know, but it's a complicated and involved series.

Quality-wise, Twin Peaks probably should have ended after the murder of Laura was solved. After that, it seemed to just go was off track and got extremely confusing. I won't give away the murderer, but it was someone close to Laura. Lots of twists and turns and everyone is connected to everyone in some way or another. My husband is seeing your wife, my boyfriend deals drugs for my husband, my best friend was a coke fiend and slept with everyone, and so on and so forth.

Back in the late 80's and early 90's, it was either a yearly series , mini-series(10-20 hours in 2-3 hour increments), or a 2-3 hour movie. Now, it's not unusual to see a limited run series that spans for about a dozen episodes. Twin Peaks would have done well in that format. Like I said, after Laura's murder was solved, it should have ended.

My rating---10 for Laura's murder plot, 8 afterwards. Average 9.
  • I only got into Twin Peaks after hearing it as the "father" of my favorite TV show Lost. While it has aged a bit in the past 15 years, the essence is still there and I was in no way disappointed in what I found. Twin Peaks is a show you need to see.

Twin Peaks had a fairly short run as it definitely died way too early. When it was originally on, I was too young and had never really heard of it. Thanks to some recommendations and Netflix I watched all the episodes on DVD and this show was definitely a classic. It was a character driven show and there were some of the greatest tv show characters in this show and it was one of the original shows to possess a true ensemble cast. It also was a mystery as you tried to solve the big mysteries of who killed Laura Palmer, and past that why she was killed and the black lodge. For 30 episodes we watched as everything unfolded and we were left with one of the largest cliffhangers to ever end a tv show on completely. However, there were a few faults. The first isn't Twin Peaks fault, but rather that it was ahead of its time. It was one of the first shows to intertwine a complex story with almost a religious/fantasy feel at times and there are points where it is very raw. Some of the scenes were not nearly as powerful as they should have been, mainly because of subpar special effects (due to the time period it was made) and the acting. However, even watching this show today it is still overall amazing and I would highly recommend it... especially if your a fan of Lost, because this is where the roots of that show came from.
  • Twin Peaks has a bit of everything, from murder-mystery to the paranormal. If you like a series that doesn't give you all the answers, Twin Peaks is for you.

Twin Peaks starts off like a regular every day murder mystery. It slowly deviates from this genre and drags the viewer into a world of the paranormal and the unexplained.

One of the unique plot devices that Twin Peaks employs is that one of the main characters is dead. This works in favour of the storyline, because it encourages the viewer to imagine for themselves many aspects of Laura Palmer's personality.

Twin Peaks also manages to mix in a suitable amount of comic relief, from a cross-dressing David Duchovny, to an FBI Agent with a ridiculous hearing loss.

Twin Peaks is definitely a town where everyone has a secret, and is worth a watch.
  • A strange show, but moved television to what we know it to be today.

This show is strange. That is the first word that comes to mind when describing this show. It is good, but first of all it is strange. At the time that this show came out, it was something new. At the time, the most popular shows on the air were family sit-coms. This dared to be different. It was completely sequential. The show required the viewer to see all of the episodes in a row and none could be missed.

While this was great for the viewer, the studios did not seem quite ready for such an adventure as the series was cut short after only two seasons. It was so character driven that the viewer really comes to know the characters...and know them well.

All in all, a good show that is very peculiar and truly sets the stage for what we know television to be today.
  • Incredible. Why can't they make shows like this anymore?

Twin Peaks is truly the best television series I have ever watched. ABC was incredibly foolish to cancel it after the second season. All of the characters are very personable and David Lynch's style makes you feel as if you're right with them solving the crime. Twin Peaks can go from hilarity, to sorrow, to horror, and back to hilarity is as little as a few minutes. Kyle MacLachlan is outstanding as Dale Cooper, and play off of the other characters very well. I highly recommend this series, which is available on DVD, to any fan of Lost, Heroes, or any other epic series. It's a work of art in every way possible.
  • One of the best things you could hope to watch

Certainly the best thing I have ever watched on television. Twin Peaks is funny, scary, exciting, the characters are consistently engaging, the music's haunting, the writing's incredible, and half the time you watch, your eyes glued to the screen as you shout 'what????'. The first series is probably better - a far more compact affair, whereas the second season (which has attracted a huge amount of largely unfair criticism) is longer and does begin to tail off at points, leaving you with the impression that the writers aren't sure what to do. But even then, it's nothing but watchable. Even when the storylines become a bit silly, the show itself is so beautiful, the sheer madness of it so engaging that it doesn't matter. Great show. One of the best you'll find.
  • Excellent if you ignore the second season

This series was make for overly analytical person's like myself. Somehow believeing that everything can be explained logically. In entertainment the laws of the universe never have to apply and seldom do. Stories have one of 5 common elements, Man VS Man, Man VS God, Man VS Nature, Man VS Self, and Man VS Society. Here not only do you have all 5, but it attemps to create an element of it's own, perhaps Man vs Logic. Twin peaks was quite a good show. I first saw the prequel movie "Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me". It wasn't until about 10 years later I rented the series from Netflix. After I watched the first episode I was hooked. Follwing my completion of the first season I couldn't believe that such a surreal and infiniate series could have been canceled, that's where the second season came into play. The second season was extremely overplayed, more forced, and less surreal. Revealing one more piece of the puzzle after the other nothing was left to the imagination and the earlier feelings of association and intense agrivation withered. I can see why it was canceled durring it's second season.

If you want to see Twin Peaks at it's best don't watch the second season it ruins the series.
  • Hollywood take note - this is how to tell a story...!

Twin Peaks was so ahead of it's time when it was released - the interweaving storyline are extremely complex, but never baffling. Unfortunately shows like this are often doomed to failure - as you have to watch every single one (which the networks never seem to like).

If you haven't seen Twin Peaks yet, I strongly suggest you get hold of it any way you can. The characters are many and varied, the direction is at times pure genius, and the story is gripping and will have you guessing right up until the end. It's like the best novel I never read!
  • Bring it back again!

Who doesn't remember the greatest TV show Twin Peaks? When i saw the first episode i was very young i think i had thirteen years old and i remember very well, every day i watched the episodes, i think it was every Sunday, well i never miss a episode i loved very much the drama of the small city of Twin Peaks. I really don't remember all of the episodes but i now for sure i really want to see again, and i now for sure, i will love it again. It was my first drama TV show that i see and became a fan of TWIN PEAKS.
  • Never watched this when it was on originally, but watching it now on DVD. Man, did I miss out.

This show is wonderfully quirky, weird, interesting, and I cant stop watching. I couldn't sleep last night, and had just picked up twin peaks on dvd, so I popped it in. That was at 4:30 a.m. its now 7 pm and I am just now finishing it and all I can say is "wow." I havent counted them all but there is numerous subplots, every one of them interesting. The Charactures (sp) are quirky, and sometimes really crack me up!!The show is definatly going down as one of my fav's. My only regret is that I didnt watch it when it aired originally. I was always a huge Millinneum and x-files fan, so I should have figure I would like this one also. It sure has the same "feel" to it. Next up after I finish this is "Twin Peaks, Fire Walk With Me." Picked it up also.
  • There is a darkness that resides in the woods....

A unique show way ahead of it's time. David Lynch and all the talented writers who contributed to this show created a series that really stirred the imagination. In what was a basic story of a local girl murdered in a small town, we quickly learn nothing about this town or the girl are simple at all. We are introduced to weird , hilarious , evil or good natured characters. Kyle Mclachlan , a long time favourite of Lynch, does a terrific portrayal of the FBI Agent Dale Cooper who has a spirtual side as well. The plot lines and stories are as unique as the characters and the short first season is among the best TV of all time. I will admit that midway through the second season, the story lines kind of went off on a strange tangent (even by Lynch standards). At this point in the season we also discover the identity of the murderer who killed Laura Palmer and a couple other young females. Maybe Lynch should have deliberately made this show a miniseries when he started out but regardless no show before or since (maybe Carnivale) has been able to capture the spiritual, supernatural, mundane, suspenseful, dramatic, comedic, & violent mood of Twin Peaks. If the town actually existed, I would have moved there a long time ago!!
  • One of the best movies I had ever seen!

Twin Peaks is an interesting film. It is about reavealing the murderer of a girl. The fact is that on the path to this murderer lies another series of crimes, abductions and other criminal stuff. Also there are many misteries that have to be revealed by the detective. And in his mission he gets himself trapped in this whole mistery. In a certain episode the detective actually contacts the murdered girl, but not as a ghost. He talks to her in his dreams. There are also many funny things around there. For example in his first dream, I think, the girl tells him who killed her, but forgets it when he wakes up.

This is one very good movie. I hope you saw it!