Two and a Half Men Forums

Thursday 9:00 PM on CBSBetween Seasons

How can Alan be so broke?

apytko

[1]Jan 10, 2013
    • level: 11

How is Alan having so much trouble with money? I mean, he's no longer paying alimony to Judith, or Kandi(I believe) and Jake is now legally an adult so he doesn't have to pay child support anymore. How can he be broke? I mean he was able to support a wife and a kid as a chiropractor, so how come now he can't support even himself? I even wonder if he still has a job. Poor writing, I'd say.

If he's not doing well as a chiropractor, then perhaps it's time he looks for a new job/career. Maybe Walden should give him a job at his company.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

fanboy34

[2]Jan 11, 2013

This is part of what I was getting at about Alan's character becoming a cartoon guy when he used to be a more or less realistic loser. Discussed in example here: http://www.nohomers.net/showthread.php?81407-Whut-quot-Flanderization-quot

pamhalpert

[3]Feb 3, 2013
    • level: 14

I think they are trying to drive home the point that Alan is cheap.

DarkPaladin1000

[4]Mar 15, 2013
    • level: 10
    When was the last time they even referenced Alan's job? I know in the last episode he tried to help Walden but other than that?

I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't have a job at all and mooched Walden full time.

apytko

[5]Mar 17, 2013

During this season, Alan has said things that prove he's been to his office and he's still a chiropractor. If he didn't have his job, he would've said so and Walden would be helping him find a job or offer him a job at his company. In fact in the most recent episode, when Walden twisted his balls, he yelled that he needed a doctor and Alan offered to help but Walden said, he needs a REAL doctor, so Herb helped.

The bad writing about this is, before Alan moved in with Charlie, he was supporting a wife(Judith) and a child(Jake) on a chiropractor's salary. Of course he went broke because he had to pay a lot of alimony each month to Judith and child support for Jake. But when Judith got married to Herb, he didn't have to pay alimony to her anymore. It also doesn't seem like he has to pay alimony to Kandi, either. But she makes way more money than Alan, so why would he even have to? And now that Jake is legally an adult, he doesn't have to pay child support to Jake. So how can he not be able to even support himself on a chiropractor's salary? Chiropractor's are technically not doctors but they make good money.

apytko

[6]Mar 17, 2013

Of course, it might be a good story if Walden discovered that Alan lost his job a long time ago but never said anything and has been mooching off of him, ever since. Walden would wonder why Alan didn't try to get another job and Alan would say that it's because the economy is so tough right now that it's hard. But Walden would eventually discovered that Alan loved mooching off of him so much that he never bothered to look for another job. The episode would end with Alan searching the internet(maybe Craigslist) with Walden, Berta, Lyndsey, Judith, Herb, Evelyn and even Jake all standing behind him with their arms crossed making sure that Alan is looking for jobs. Alan tries to get up but they sit him back down and they tell him that he's not getting up until they think that he's applied to enough jobs for the day. Alan would ask how long does he have to do this and they say until he gets a job. Here's what they could say,

Walden: I'm not going to have a moocher living under my roof any longer.

Lyndsey: I will not date a man who always tries to get me to pay for our whole date.

Jake: I'd embarrassed to know that I work hard in an army kitchen all day and my own dad doesn't work at all.

Alan: Neither does your mother. (Judith slaps him in the back of his head) OW!

Herb: I was friends with Alan because I thought we stood as equals. But I won't be your friend again until you get a job.

Evelyn: I always thought you were better than your brother but at least he made his own money. Until you start making yours I'm going to tell everyone that I have no son.

Berta: I just want you to get a job and move out of here, Zippy.

Alan looks miserable and continues to look and apply for jobs on the computer with everyone breathing down his neck.

(Possibly could also happen)

Alan looks up and sees Charlie's ghost sitting in front of him smoking a cigar. Alan's the only one who can see him.

Charliesmiling) I'm just watching you do this because I find it so entertaining.