Ugly Betty Forums

ABC (ended 2010)

betty la fea??

fireemblems

[1]Aug 25, 2006
    • level: 4
    hey that was a mexican soap years ago i guess it was such a big hit that its in the US now........
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Rogue_Beeyatch

[2]Sep 9, 2006
    • level: 23
    It was a disaster.

ERNESTOBN

[3]Sep 9, 2006
    • level: 1

actually it is a columbian soap and it was a world succes because they've made remakes all over the world:

Germany, India, Mexico, and starting on September 28 US

so it wasn't such a disaster after all!!Or was it??

cabrona

[4]Sep 9, 2006
    i love the mexican telenovela la fea mas bella. the charcters they have playing the parts are all awesome and i believe have made the character their own in a way. i looked at the cast they have for the new show and i'm not impressed at all. i'm so dissapointed that selma hayek did not choose a charcter that looks more hispanic. no mommies the charcter they have playing the love interest of betty on the mexican telenovela is handsome his name is jaime camil. the main character on the us soap opera is ugly plus the charcters they have playing the other parts are not well known. the should have casted people who were more popular from other night time series. the show is on thursdays it has tough compition it wouldn't have hurt to choose more known actors. i will watch it however maybe the cast will suprise me but i wish that they could have chosen a character who looks more like don fernando on la fea mas bella

senor_fritz

[5]Sep 11, 2006
    • level: 20
    i don't have problem with actors that are not well known being cast for the part. In fact, I'm glad there are more unknowns, as there's no chance of there being attached a style over substance stigma. However, I do think that Ugly Betty, being a primetime series, will follow a different structure and deviate in plot from the original. At least thats what I gathered from the promo. I note that there are quite a few characters missing in the American version...

Also, call me shallow, but I kinda wish they'd chosen another actress to play Betty. Ana Maria Orozco was quite cute in real life and thus her transformation made much of an impact, and although Angelica Vale is not as pretty, she certainly has the potential to look stunning after the transformation if they add the right touches. America Ferrara, however, isn't really attractive in realo life--both in the conventional and unconventional way. This wouldn't be an issue if the physical transformation in the story wasn't such an integral part--Betty eventually tranforms from an ugly duckling into a "beautiful swan", and it's very much believable. With Ferrara, however, I don't know how believable it'll be.

Personally, I'd wish they'd chosen someone like Anneliesse Van Der Pol to play Betty.

ColdCrush16

[6]Sep 17, 2006
    C'mon guys, America Ferrera is the perfect actress