Ugly Betty

ABC (ended 2010)

AJMeredith

Ugly Betty Fan Reviews (280)

• My Brain Suddenly turned to goo after watching this.

This show is probably one of the most overrated shows in history, i mean, I tried watching the first 3 episodes and wow, believe me, this was terrible, my cousin owe me big time, i wasted hours watching this, this show is exclusively for fan girls and housewives who enjoys stupidity and some lame romance, and this show was a horrible remake of a show "I love betty la fea" - an original spanish show which they copied. I could give this show a 0 but since I can't it's only fair I give it a 1 - - ABYSMAL!
  • R.I.P

The spanish version are much better than this first it was a colombian which started it of which was the best one then the mexican got their dirty hands on it and made it bad then they made a cartoon well we all kno that went down the drain so its crap then an american y can they just let this series R.I.P let it die while its young why do u gotta make series crap and strung out to shut down they should just stop its pointless it will never be ass good as the first versions Ugly Betty R.I.P
  • It's a weird show!!

It's about an ugly girl that always is shy and works in a fashion model magTo his dismay, Daniel must attend his family's Thanksgiving gathering at the Country Club. Meanwhile, Amanda and Marc create their own gathering at Mode and there is also a dinner at Betty's house where Santos, Justin's father, is in attendance. Meanwhile, Wilhelmina also hosts a Thanksgiving dinner as well but her feast doesn't look as good as it does in magazine pictures. azine company!!
  • This show lacks insight and brings nothing new to the table in terms of the fashion industry, unrealistic body expectations or the moral superiority of the unattractive.

So, Ugly Betty is show about the inherent shallowness and pettiness of fashion industry insiders. How remarkably insightful. Perhaps next season I\'ll be treated to some compelling shows that will teach me that water is wet and that the sun is hot. The only telling point about the show is the unrealistic expectations that beauty-related industries create about women\'s bodies. However, that isn\'t insightful either. This is an issue that\'s been in and out of the public eye for nearly a decade now. There have been countless TV shows and movies that deal with that exact subject. Ugly Betty shines no new light on this at all. It\'s simply a rehash of what everyone already knows.
    Instead, Ugly Betty helps to create some unrealistic expectations of its own. It tries to perpetuate the myth that unattractive people are, by the questionable virtue of being unattractive, the holders of some unquestionable moral superiority. It holds to the fabrication that the \"ugly\" are somehow less shallow than the \"beautiful.\" Sorry, but that\'s not the way it works. You don\'t turn into a generous, loving, kind and caring human being just because you\'re not pretty. Shallowness is not the exclusive property of the physically appealing. As an unattractive person, I can unequivocally state, it just aint so. Plenty of ugly people only want to date good-looking folks. Looking beyond the trite messages and unrealistic themes, we find a cast full of stereotypes rather than characters. Vanessa Williams\' over-the-top protrayal of the scheming underling is unworthy of her. Eric Mabius\' role as the boss who is conflicted between his shallow instincts and the shining light of Betty\'s moral compass plays as more of a caricature than a real person.
    Overall, I found the show to be a hackneyed attempt to gain ratings by taking serious issues and trying to make something entertaining out of them. This show would be better served by being moved to Lifetime or We, where no one expects the stories or production values that one of the big networks should be capable of. After this show was over, my wife asked me if I would have rather watched something else. My response? \"I would rather have watched anything else.\"
    My advice, skip this show and read a book instead.
  • A wretched mess, being hyped by agenda driven TV critics. Betty is not funny. Betty is not interesting. Betty is not intelligent. Betty is not any good.

All you hear about this show is that it has "buzz". Who says so? Well, TV critics say so? So why are they hyping this piece of scrap? A couple of theories.

First, they see themselves in the title character of Betty. Like her, they think they're smarter than their bosses, deserve more fame and money, and are probably the "victims" of "elitist" discrimination. Think about it. It's usually the worst minds at a newspaper or mag that work the TV beat (and someone tell me why this should be so, when TV deserves much more intelligent criticism?). And their petty, spiteful attempts at revenge are somehow fed by watching some overweight mexican woman, with braces, armor plated hair, and frumpy clothes plot her moral superiority against her bosses.

Second, there is the ethnic angle. Like the mexican columnist in the Dallas Morning News this morning (September 29, 2006), Macarena Hernandez, who is cheerleading for this show simply out of racial solidarity with her fellow "chica". It is clear that there is a tendency to overlook thickheaded dialogue, gruesome plotting, and treacly appeals to victimhood, as long as it is a latin woman in the lead. Had this been a series focused on, say, a Scottish dresser at a fashion firm, instead of a bucktoothed Latina, the critics would have panned it immediately. This is typical hispandering.

Betty just doesn't work. It is laborious, unfunny, dimwittted, poorly photographed, and written by what seems to be an extremely thick fingered gorilla on a telephone text messager. Bad stuff, this.
  • Episode aired 3/16/07 guest star Lucy Liu

1.1
    I love watching Ugly Betty. I am disappointed that Lucy L is a guest star. She ruined the show. Does she have to be a sex object in every film or tv show? Really? Typical sterotype asian sell out. Asian lady like Lucy Liu are just hollywood little china doll that are being used as a sexual curtain for the yellow fever. Please do not have her as a guest anymore. She ruined JOEY, tv show, as we all know. It is fine if she played as a lawyer but does she have to sleep around on the show. C'mon, a little sex slave that willing to do anything to be on the show. She is one ugly asian sell out....GET HER OFFFFFFFFFFF
  • One of ther worst shows on Television.

1.1
    Ugly Betty is not funny and completely stupid, I don't like this show at all. Even one of my best friends Fkholmes thinks this show is stupid. Who ever wrote this show must have been the unfunniest people ever. The whole plot line is stupid and it's the samething every week. But like if you think about it she isn't really that ugly, see looks a little uglier than most people here age but she can't help it. I also don't like the reason for Betty being hires, she is being used for his fathers biding. All because 'see isn't atractive' her bose hired to stop his soon sleeping with her. That is just mean and she is being used.
  • Before you click disagree, please read the review.

1.6
    This show, to me, was absoultely wretched. It was an episoe of SVU that I had seen many times and had heard so mnay great things about this show that I decided to give it a try. Big mistake. Big! The show was not funny at all, uninteresting, and the whole stroyline was so dull that it was a struggle to watch. I absoultely do not understand why everybody praises this show and why it gets so much hype. There are so many more deserving shows out ther that deserve the recognition, like Veronica Mars.
  • Before you click on disagree just because you like soap-operas, please read the whole review. Trust me, there is a good reason for me to don't like this brainwasher show. I've seen the Latino version. So let me tell you about it.

Few years ago, in my country (if anyone is especially interested it's Serbia) we had that "privilegy" to see "Betty le foe", or "Betty de foe"... I can't really remember. Anyway, my little sister watched it, and my grandma too, so I was kinda caught in the middle. So I watched more then half of the episodes, unintentionally. Ugly duckling becomes a fairytale princess, and by the way one very, very cool and fancy fairy-princess. "She's all that" was a cool movie. But after repeating the same storyline again and again and again... even the God's got bored.
    Accept the silly actors, and the silly storyline, and the silly clothes, hairstyles, music, and all the other stuff (like Betty's journal, for example) this is the most unbelivable unreal show ever. I mean, the girl lives in the modern world, but she dresses like complete freak and she even doesn't notice it! Everyone are laughing at her, but she is so happy she did new work project, that she even can't notice it! She is so, so, so unbelivable smart with all this high-schools, but she works as a secretary!
    The only light thing in this show is one actress, can't remember the name of her caracter, but she had long, blond hair, and she used to be a model (in show). Although unintentionally, she was very funny. She is the only reason I gave this show a 2.0. (I hope they wont kick her out of the remake).
    I know, right about now, you probably think: "What have the Columbian show to do with this? They did it much better this time, and the cast is better, and blah blah blah...". If you think all that right about now, then stop for a second and ask yourself. If this is a remake, and original was so bad - mostly because of the story, then hold on for a second and wonder... How much precious time are you willing to spend (lose) just so you can see something that more than 2.000.000.000 didn't wan't to?
  • A girl named Betty sees herself as a loser and tries to make it into the fashion business anyway. This is kind of a strange show.

2.1
    The first time I saw this show I thought it would be uplifting. Betty is so much a loser though and it seems so silly that she pursues the things she does that after watching it for a while it felt like a complete waste of time. I can see why some girls would like it, but for most people I do not think that the premise of the show rings true. Its nice and everything when somebody goes after a careet that is a long shot and then makes it, but in this case there is nothing to base Betty's success on.
  • This show had all the potential in the world to be a great show - and they ruined it - flat ruined it!

Instead of Ugly Betty remaining as an inspiration to not just bracy-faced little girls - but also anyone who has had a lack of confidence, I was really excited about what Ugly Betty would have to offer. The first week was pretty good - then the second - then the third. After that -- I have no idea what happened!! Somehow - the cute new show morphed into a really bad female version of Austin Powers or something. The story lines went from believable to ridiculous. The direction makes the "sinister" characters look like morons instead of typical corporate baddies who can make the real world challenging, at best. Too bad they messed it all up. Ugly Betty COULD have been a good show.
  • This show is a rip-off of the Columbian "Betty La Fea" and German "Verliebt in Berlin"

This show is a rip-off of the Columbian soap "Betty La Fea" and...

...the German soap "Verliebt in Berlin" which is popular across Europe (also a rip-off of Betty La Fea)

(The pretty actress at the bottom plays the nerd)

Lisa Plenske wants to have success in the fashion industry, and has the hots for a guy named David.

I've only seen the German version, my Mother loves it and I hate it. That's why I've recognized Ugly Betty immediately.

[delete the spaces out of the links]
  • Things are getting Ugly(er)

This show started of great, but now as alot of you would see it's getting boring and old. If you dont mind me saying i wouldn't really reccomend this show but the choice is really yours, if persay you watch it or not, That is just my opinion anyway. The show started of great, a young girl who had no sence in fashion what so ever and wanted become a editor for a massive fashion magazie, It's kind of like "The Devil Wears Prada" Same story line ETC. I used to watch it frequently when it first aired, i guess Prison Break, Heroes, Friends, That 70's Show, The simpsons,Britney and Kevin Chaotic ETC are more my style.
    But your opinion may be diffrent so i dont want to start any conflict over a TV show i personally think is pretty poor.
  • Betty is an Ugly girl with crap clothes who works in a fashionmagazine. Daniel is her boss if he has a problem Betty comes to the rescue.If he says jump she says how high.

Ever since the writers strike this show has gone down hill with every epidode.What used to be one of my favourite shows is quickly becoming the most boring show.The story line if any body has noticed is nearly always the same.Betty falls in love they faff around for a while then she ends up making her move and..surprise surprise she gets the guy.Now i know your sayin she didnt get Jesse but she did but then she dumped him.Aswell every time daniel has a problem guess what happens betty saves the day at the last minute and everything is sunshine and rainbows again.It is getting beyond ridiculous at this stage Papie has a heart attack but of course he lives because nothing is ever wrong in betty land for long.Well guess what somethings wrong now.The storyline.
  • Blah Blah

Betty: You need to stop me from going to see Henry!
    Christina: I thought you were resolved on that?
    Betty: I was! Tell that to my finger. (holding up finger) My finger wants me to push the button to Henry’s floor! It wants me to tell him that I had a wonderful time today!
    Christina: Ooh, cheeky finger.

I had high hopes for this but am just left with an uglier deperate housewives. Its steriotypical, and hipocritical, if they really wanted to send across the message then they should have picked an ugly person to play the lead/

3 words: Stupid, dumb, boring
  • Are they showing us the same episode every week? I think this show is for people who can tolerate repeated viewings of "The Devil Wears Prada" every week, and that is not me.

4.3
    While I understand that this show has won awards and critical acclaim, I have to say that I just don't get it. It seems like it's the same episode again and again. Every week someone points out Betty's lack of physical appeal, this hurts her feelings, and by the end of the hour Betty's inner workings and redeemability shine through yet again as she comes through for the magazine she works for one more time.

I've watched a half dozen episodes thanks to my wife and the ABC Family Channel's insistence on airing this show incessantly. And they all seem to me the same. Betty is a fish out of water due to her background and appearance. But her work ethic, dedication, and family-oriented upbringing make her an asset to the magazine on which she works. And every episode hammers this point home, in more or less the same way. At first she has to win over her boss, and then it seems like she just sort of makes the rounds, repeating the same lessons but with different members of the office staff.

While the message is great (especially for kids), the repetitiveness is not.

There is a story-line that threads the episodes together, but I can't say that it holds my interest. It seems sort of irrelevant and the matters dealt with seem unimportant. The show's kitschy-ness I suppose is part of its appeal, but it doesn't do much for me. If you want to paint the show as a serial, the kitschy-ness just makes the story seem cartoon-ish and irrelevant.

I'm not a fan - I just wish I could get my wife to quit watching!
  • I'm sorry to tell you this but this serie isn't good at all.

4.4
    For god's sake, why do you like Ugly Betty????? I live in Mexico, and I've seen that serie before, it's so so predictable and it's a "soap opera" not qualified to be at the league of other comedy shows as desperate housewives, the office or two and a half men, you know what? In my country only the maids, the housewives and the "nacos" whatch this kinds of series. I mean I know that in the last season, Betty's going to get married, with the guy, and will live happily ever after, I can tell you a lot of details that will happen cuz this serie has already aired in a lot of countries (Obviously with different characters, and a slighlty change in the story line).

So dissapointed to see how many people in the US watch this show...
  • peaked too early and now past it

4.4
  • Boring!

4.5
    Ugly Betty has gotten so bad in the last couple of episodes. It probably one of the most predictable shows i've watched! I liked it when Betty moved out of her house into her apratment but then she decides that as usual family comes first and she does the boring predictable thing by movin out of her apartment and livin with her family! And of course Betty cant get through a few episode without another love interest. Its the same thing hapening in every episode and its gotten so boring. I've actually stopped watching it. I hope it gets back on track.
  • Stale, unfunny, repetitive. An awkward Mexican girl with braces teaches the world how to appreciate awkward Mexican girls with braces.

Now I checked out this show when it first came on air. Interesting premise, lots of hype, sounded funny--so I gave it a shot. I'm not going to lie, I liked it a bit at the beginning, it even had me laughing at some points.

However, the sparkle faded quickly. The show was formulaic, unfunny and stupid. Betty is stupid. Every episode just drilled into my head--it's okay to be ugly, you don't have to look like a model to be liked. And while those messages are good, the presentation was off, especially when at every turn you have some pop-culture media outlet spewing about how gorgeous America Ferrera is--how "not ugly" she really is. I'm over it. If you're trying to drill home the fact that someone is ugly and that's okay, then let her be UGLY! Or get a real ugly actress. The whole show is about how ugly girls can be cool too. But they're not--Betty isn't accepted at work: she is vilified, and not respected by her co-workers. Betty is awkward and clumsy--socially inept. She obviously can't read people and understand the way things work. It's a high fashion magazine, what did she think was going to happen when she came dressed in a poncho that said Gaualajara? They ugly her up by putting on her perfectly straight teeth obnoxious braces--yeah we get it, grown-up braces are "ugly" okay. They give her frumpy clothes, they make her hair puffy. You know what that image says to me? Not ugly--unkempt. Betty has no common sense, or a mirror. I get the whole, you shouldn't have to change who you are to be accepted crap, but I still believe image is part of that package. And if you looked like you hadn't combed your hair, or brushed your teeth or ironed your clothes, then I don't want to hire you. In the first episode she can't get a job, well, no wonder, she looks like she just hopped over the boarder--and she's applying to high-end jobs. What is she thinking?

Then by some miracle she is hired by Daniel's father, in an attempt to tame his son, and she puts up with his bullsh-t like an illegal alien who doesn't want to get turned into immigration. The last straw for me was when she *actually* dressed in the leather for the photoshoot--is she stupid?--and no, I don't think the word is too harsh for this situation. She couldn't possibly think they were serious, or that this job was worth this utter humiliation of squeezing her size 12 body into size 00 leather. Are you kidding me? She was a door mat. She didn't give me the impression that she was intelligent or hardworking, she left me thinking, the only way ugly girls are going to get a job in a place like that is to lie on their backs and take it. And say "thank you" afterwards.

In the end, it's not Betty who stands up for herself, it's Daniel who sees the error in his ways and asks her to stay. So now she feels obliged. She is now even more willing to accept his garbage, the verbal abuse, the long hours--and all for what? A fulfilling job that doesn't pay her enough to get a flat iron or tweezers? I am so done with this show.
  • - Not aesthetically pleasing to watch - Really not that interesting (poor plot line) as Betty certainly isn't gorgeous (not that her sister is either), but she isn't ugly

To be brutally honest, this show is a uninteresting. It tries too hard to be everything and succeeding at being nothing. Nothing really happens to make this show laugh out loud funny, or suspensefully interesting. The biggest problem with this show is its plastic-like look. It is very pale and boring, the camera work uninteresting (not saying it should be CSI overboard). The acting is sub-par as well. And I\'m sorry Selma, your not so hot either. This show is a \"Well there is nothing else on\" type show, that only gets tuned by mistake or sheer laziness. But unfortunately it seems people like it and will probably continue on way longer than it should.
  • This show is mildly funny but its such a new premise that we have been watching it for a few weeks now. Betty is the underdog but she doesn't take any bull. I think this show deserves a chance in a better time slot to attain a wider audience.

5.3
    This show is mildly funny but its such a new premise that we have been watching it for a few weeks now. Betty is the underdog but she doesn't take any bull. I think this show deserves a chance in a better time slot to attain a wider audience. It has the potential to be funnier than it is. Its written somewhat like The Devil Wears Prada but not as many good lines. Also, liven up the rest of the casts characters. They could be so much help keeping this show afloat.
  • Hmmm! I'm unsure how to classify this show!

5.5
    I gave the show a 5.5 but to tell the truth I really don't know what to think of it! It can be funny but some of the characters are painfully annoying most of the time. The concept is unoriginal and the storylines aren't anything to get excited about. Some of the acting isnot quite up to standard aswell. I watch this show occasionally but I wouldn't reschedule to catch an episode! As I said I do find it funny but in my opinion that is the only thing it's got going for it. Not my favourite show to put it simply!
  • Fugly!

5.5
    This is a show about a girl named Betty who is smart, and has a job in Fashion. But that is hindered by her looks. Personaly speaking I do not find the show funny at all, it does have a good Moral but it is not funny to me and I don't want to watch it, and the fact that it is based on a Colombian telenovela does not help me either.
  • Average Girl + Fashion Magazine = hilarity!!! ... or does it?

Ok, let me start by saying that I wanted to like this show. I really do. I like America Ferrera. She was the only one I could stand in that Alexis Bledel film... about the pants - blah but the show just doesn't hit the mark for me. The good: The cast are talented and charismatic. The show presents a family that is not just like "a latino family" with stereotypes etc but they are just a family. The show attempts to promote being who you are in regards to betty's nephew and betty herself. It has a good moral compass and has a depth to many of the characters that a lot of shows cannot acheive even after several seasons.

The bad:

It lacks identity. Is it a comedy? Is it a drama? I'm not sure because I am never really laughing or crying. Walter - God he is annoying! Am I alone on that one? The show is also a blatant copy of the other manifestations of the show that have been around for years. Its true, check it out - seriously. Also, the extra mystery that has a desperate housewives, over the top feel that seems random at some times. I watch the show now from time to time. Maybe it will improve but for now... it's just on the better side of ok if that makes any sense?
  • Ugly Betty is pretty good. I used to watch it but it has gotten into a more or less cat-fight and romantic comedy.

This show began the season as one of those things that I thought would die quickly. It hasn't. This show features a woman who is ugly on the show and works at a fashion magazine called MODE. The show was very melodramatic but it has gotten worse in recent months. Now the woman fight about rediculous things and the men are attacking the women and being dumped faster than moldy fruit.

If you are looking for a prime-time soap opera, look no further than UGLY BETTY. You will be happy you watched this show if you enjoy some fun and exiting cat fights.
  • Get off the soap box, be daring, have some originality, and get rid of the desperate housewive's subplot.

This show has two things going against it in terms of originality. Despite that it is based off of the Columbian telenovela, it's a rip off of "The Devil Wears Prada." How did they manage that? That was mistake number one. Second, it doesn't rip enough off of the more intriguing original original, "Yo Soy Betty, La Fea."

Fine, they didn’t want it to be exactly the same, but don't wimp out on us or give us a flaky sub-plot. At the end of the first episode, we have cartoonish characters shrouded in darkness. All that was left was for the villainess to stroke an evil white cat. Take a page from the Spanish variation, "Yo soy Bea." They switched the fashion design company into a fashion magazine as well. However, they managed to keep it light and funny, they delved into different, but interesting, sub-plots, and they committed to Betty's ugliness.

Commitment is the key. In the American version, they don't commit to Betty's ugliness, and they don't commit to Daniel's selfishness or vileness. While Ugly Betty may have some interesting storylines, I found that this show is afraid to take the real risks. Commit to the joke without apologies and social commentary. We will get it. I promise you, we are not stupid. We will get the moral of the story.

Instead, they get on a soap box and beat us down about why it's bad to be a womanizer and why we should be all-embracing. The point would be made so much more poignantly without the lecture, and, not to mention, it would be a whole heck of a lot funnier.
  • ...

I\\\'m Colombian so I DEFF. saw the Colombian version(which is the best version)\\\"Betty La Fea\\\" and its was great and hilarious. Then this past year they made the Mexican version \\\"La Fea Mas Bella\\\" and it was terrible because they exagerrated too much AND they copied the better version to a less hot version. I hope the American one is ALOT better, because the other remake which was the Mexican one sucked horribly.
  • Ugly Betty Characters. Stereotypes.

6.1
    There are so many stereotypes like Amanda, who is blonde and really dumb at times. And Mark, who is completely gay Betty is ugly and is kind of well, UGLY. The show is really cool to watch but certainly boring sometimes. Henry on the other hand is extremely nerdy and unattractive. He wears these sweater vests and prepster clothing that makes him such a geek. Betty's family is attractive even HIlda. I hardly even have time to see this show. I have a feeling that that witch Charlie's baby isn't Henry's for real this time. Anyway, I learn a lot from this show.
  • Originally, a great show, but lack of character progression and original story lines turns Ugly Betty into what it says on the tin... Ugly.

The hype surrounding Ugly Betty before it started was big enough to get me excited about the show, and the first half of the series lived up to expectations.

But then it began to drag.

The story was the same every episode.
    Daniel would get himself into a mess and Betty would save the day, without taking any credit for it.
    Nothing new happened. The characters never progressed. And I quickly lost interest.

I tuned in last week because my sister was watching it, and apparently, things have changed. Hilda and Betty were both running around Mexico and Hilda was due to get married. But Betty was still chasing after Henry, and neither character had progressed.

What started off as a fun and vibrant show, quickly became dull and uninteresting.

To be honest, don't believe the hype.
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10