Just when you thought all the funny shows were on hiatus…the new season Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt has arrived. And, it’s a good thing because we could all use a smart laugh right now.

This season, Kimmy (Ellie Kemper) heads on a whole new adventure – college. Having earned a GED, this always optimistic thirty-something decides to continue her education, even if “they don’t have recess.”

Actress Rachael Meyers joins in the story as ‘Josie’, a fellow student Kimmy befriends along the way.

At 6’2”, this former college athlete is hard to miss on-screen and off. Rachael’s credits include roles on ABC’s Fresh Off the Boat and Disney’s family show Dog with a Blog. Behind the camera, Rachael has spearheaded several indie projects, including directing the award-winning shorts Highway 15, My Brother’s Keeper and Chénmò de péngyou.

Also this week, Rachel is premiering her latest project, a new political parody musical web series titled TRUMP’d.

I recently caught up with Rachael Meyers to find out more:

What can you tell us about your role this season on Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt?

RACHEL MEYERS: I play Josie, one of Xan's three college roommates. We're the cool cats on the college rowing team, and we don't like Xan. Kimmy, on the other hand, we love - especially since she can row like a maniac. And that drives Xan crazy.

(photo courtesy: Netflix)
How was it working on such a fan-favorite show?

RACHEL: It was awesome. I’ve wanted to work in NYC my entire life, and to have that experience on this show with these people was ideal. As a Broadway nerd, I'm obviously a fan of the show. But I never realized how widespread its fandom was until it came out that I was in the trailer, and I could tell folks, "hey, I'm in this." And the uniform response was, "OMG, I love that show!" So, that's pretty exciting.

Was the script funny on paper or did some of comedy come from improvising?

RACHEL: The scripts were hysterical, so we pretty much stuck to them. Every once in a while though, a writer would step in and sub a line or suggest an improv. Tina actually did this for the end of 306 when we tried to carry Xan up the steps as a team.

Any interesting stories from the set you can share with us?

RACHEL: I’ll never forget sitting down to lunch with Olivia and Sonya our first day on set. We’re sitting there and then all of a sudden the director Gail Mancuso sits down next to us… then Dan Rubin… then Tina Fey. And I’m like, “Holy #&$^%, I’m at the cool kids table!” I was never at the cool kids table. Also -- the wardrobe department is genius. Not only did they find skinny jeans that were long enough for a 6'2" girl, but they knew exactly how to keep us warm wearing sleeveless tops outside on NYC streets in winter. Granted, the hair extensions were kind of a silky sweater, but the real key: body warmers.”

Do you think your character might come back for Season 4?

RACHEL: I don't know, but I certainly hope so.

What’s been the biggest lesson you took away from the opportunity?

RACHEL: As an actor, do your best, then cut yourself a break. You can't drive yourself crazy about whether it's good enough. If they want something different, they'll give you direction. As a director, it was a great learning experience to watch three experienced TV directors do their thing. It's a whole other world from film with its own unique style.

Got anything else coming up we can watch for the near future?

RACHEL: I just released the first of several musical theater political parody music videos, entitled TRUMP'd. You can catch it on YouTube.
5 Comments
Comments (4)
Submit
May 28, 2017
I just started S1 and I'm glad I did.
I look forward to the next two seasons.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members