MEN IN NEED OF WORK NEWS

... TBS has renewed Men at Work for 25 billion more seasons. No wait! That's not right, TBS has canceled Men at Work. That sounds better. The comedy, which ran for three seasons, came from Franklin & Bash's Breckin Meyer and starred Danny Masterson, James Lesure, Michael Cassidy, and Adam Busch as four dudes who worked at a men's magazine. TBS recently picked up several new comedies, including Buzzy's, Your Family or Mine, and Tribeca, so it was time for some of the network's underperforming shows to go. [THR]  

BUSINESS TIME

... A&E has ordered the reality series The Big Brew Theory, which is like The Big Bang Theory but with more beer and business and less Bazinga! Cameras will follow a quartet of MIT grad students as they venture into the microbrew industry and partner up with a hot MIT undergrad to help them launch the business. Is The Big [Something] Theory the new rip-off show-naming trend after Game of [Something]? Let's hope not! [Deadline]

... Showtime's Penny Dreadful debuted to 1.4 million viewers on its first night, beating the premiere numbers for two of the network's recent drama debuts, Masters of Sex and Homeland. The numbers do not include non-subscribers tuning in for Showtime's free preview weekend. I thought the premiere episode was weird and kind of boring, but I really liked the Frankenstein stuff. Price reviewed the episode, and he liked it more than me, but then again Price likes weird things like candy and sunshine. [The Wrap]

... NBC's Rosemary's Baby miniseries debuted last night and totally stunk up the room ratings-wise. The miniseries drew just 3.67 million viewers and tallied a 1.1 rating in the 18- to 49-year-old demographic, which is horrible. However, based on Cory's review, I'm not sure people missed out on much. Maybe the big primetime miniseries revolution wasn't such a good idea after all. Or maybe Zoe Saldana needs a new hairstylist. [EW]

... Maybe Rosemary's Baby didn't do so well because it was pre-recorded. And didn't have enough singing. Following up on its surprising hit The Sound of Music Live!, which drew 19 million viewers last December, NBC today announced that it is planning a live production of The Music Man, the 1957 Tony-winning musical. No time table has been set for the project. NBC also has a live production of Peter Pan set for December 4. [THR]

... SundanceTV has revealed a premiere date for its miniseries The Honorable Woman: Thursday, July 31 at 10pm. The eight-part miniseries stars Maggie Gyllenhall as a woman who transforms an arms business into a company that lays "hish-spec data cabling networks between Israel and the West Bank." Ummm, okay? The BBC Two co-production also stars Stephen Rea, Janet McTeer, Lindsay Dincan, and Andrew Buchan. [SundanceTV via press release]

... When The Blacklist gets the big post-Super Bowl slot on NBC next year, NBC will employ a bit of trickery to retain some of that meaty audience. The special football-boosted episode will be the first half of a two-parter, presumably with the second half airing later that week when the show debuts in its Thursday time slot on February 5. Sneaky, NBC, but also smart. Why doesn't everyone do this? [Deadline]

... Over the weekend, I attended a live taping of Dan Harmon's Harmontown podcast, where he briefly discussed Community's cancellation but ultimately didn't say much. Today (or late last night), Harmon took to his blog to talk more about the cancellation, and revealed that there's been talk of shopping Community to another network: "I will confess, however, that when Sony called me on Friday with the news, there was brief discussion at the end of the call about the concept of the show living elsewhere, and I was definitely in the 'eh' column," Harmon wrote. "I said 'eh' on a Friday afternoon, I will change it to a 'sure, let’s talk' on Monday morning and Sony can do their thing. I’m not going to be the guy that recancels canceled Community." So you're telling me there's a chance! [Dan Harmon's blog]

... TV Land would like you to know that the Season 4 premiere of The Exes has been moved to November 5 at 10:30pm, and will no longer debut on August 13 as originally planned. [TV Land via press release]

... By now you know that former American Idol contestant Clay Aiken was running for a Congress in North Carolina. Well, his chances to take that seat just got a lot better. The man Aiken was running against in Democratic primary, Keith Crisco, died suddenly from a fall in his home today. He was 71 years old. [Courier-Tribune]

... Spoiler alert if you haven't watched the Season 3 finale of Once Upon a Time or read Lily's review of the episode! ABC's fairy-tale drama is dipping into the world of Frozen. Yes, Sunday's season-ender did indeed introduce the character of Elsa from the movie. And she'll be back in Season 4. [THR]

CASTING NEWS

... David Tennant is done with doctors, but he's just getting started as a cop. Tennant will be returning for the second season of ITV and BBC America's Broadchurch, along with his co-star Olivia Colman. Jodie Whittaker, Andrew Buchan, and Arthur Darvill will also be back for the show's sophomore season. That's a lot of looking for dead kids for Tennant, who also plays in the same role on Gracepoint, Fox's American upcoming adaptation of the series. [THR]

... Now that Fox has passed on Jane Krakowski's pilot Dead Boss, the former 30 Rock-er can get back to where she belongs: near Tina Fey. Krakowski is joining the new NBC comedy Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, which stars Ellie Kemper (The Office) as a women who's fresh out of life in a cult. Krakowski will recur as a rich New Yorker who hires Kimmy as her nanny. [Deadline]

REQUIRED READING

... Longtime Hollywood screenwriter and TV producer Ken Levine has penned a good blog post about the lack of showrunners working on their own original material for the major networks (many shows are created by new talent and handed off to a seasoned veteran) . [Ken Levine's blog]

OTHER RECENT STORIES YOU MAY'VE MISSED ON TV.COM

... Fox announced its 2014-2015 schedule, and it's full of reality shows paired with dramas, some limited-series events, and no Glee

... NBC also announced its 2014-2015 schedule, but you can skip the charts and head straight to our fun analysis of the network's lineup, with picks for best-looking shows, worst-looking shows, and more.

... In case you missed the news over the weekend: NBC renewed Parenthood for a sixth and final season!

... CBS also made some decisions, renewing The Mentalist and canceling The Crazy Ones and a handful of other shows

... On the cable side of things, TBS renewed Cougar Town for a sixth and final season. 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 4/15/2016

Season 2 : Episode 13

35 Comments
Comments (35)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Loved the show.
good thing i recorded every episode. THEY CAN NEVER TAKE IT AWAY FROM ME!! azzholes.
Flag
Cancelled, WTF?! i was looking forward to the new season and wondered what was taking so long. TBS, you azzholes. your new sht is all garbage.
Flag
Men at Work slowly grew on me. Originally I viewed it as too old school (stiff, forced laughs) of a sitcom. Very good cast.
Flag
:'( *sniff* No more Pretty Tyler jokes!
Flag
Men at Work was just too much of a stereotypical sitcom for me to watch for more than a season of. Glad to see they are moving on.
Flag
How about "Game Of Crowns"? My friends mom is filming a reality show for Bravo with that title about pageant moms.
Flag
I havent watched NBC Rosemarys Baby, but the movie sucked
Flag
I loved Men at Work, to me it was a laugh out loud kind of show. Too bad!
Flag
Ugg, so now A&E has become the Asylum of Television trying to get people to watch their shitty reality shows by naming them after big network hits. Kill it now, kill it with fire!
Flag
I didn't even know NBC was even doing a remake of Rosemary's Baby. Maybe if NBC let people know they were doing the show people might have bothered to watch.
Flag
Remaking Rosemary's Baby, wasn't such a good idea? I'm shocked! You could'a knocked me over with the weather...
Flag
Good, a new Music Man. I was wearing out my Family Guy rendition of "Shipoopi" and needed a new one.
Flag
Yay @ Ellie Kemper having a new role. She's awesome. :D Will be sure to check out that Tina Fey series because of Ellie.
Flag
What Tennant is doing with his career with these two shows is beyond ridiculous. Has he ever done an interview explaining why he would do this going back and forth between two of the same shows - aside from money? An American actor should have had, and/or been given, the opportunity.

I, for one, will not watch a Community resurrection. It's over, moving on.
Flag
Or better yet. No remake at all. Broadchurch came out last year. Why remake a recent show, done in English to American audiences? It's ridiculus
Flag
REALLY!!!! The Big Brew Theory, are they joking????, and i can't believe that they cancelled Men at Work, what was wrong with it??? nothing, it was a really good show, every episode was funny.. i can't remember a bad one... i can't really understand how these networks work :( :( :( :(
Flag
Okay, dude, You get a thumb's up on that one...
Flag
Fingers crossed on Community. We can't give up when we're so close. Six seasons and a movie!
Flag
If I read the schedule right, Blacklist will got on hiatus from Nov 17 to Feb 5? That doesn't sound smart to me! They did the same sort of thing with Revolution and now that's cancelled
Flag
I find TBS's "Ground Floor" sitcom whole alot better terms than Men at Work....
It has both of Male and Female audiences contact, more enjoyable and funnier also...

I am so glad they finally cancelled Man at Work...
It was so horrible way they've twisted that around, to be on only one audience contact about goof off men and stupid jokes...
Flag
Agree about Ground Flood.
Flag
that's too bad about Men at Work, it wasn't the BEST comedy or anything but it was funny and shouldn't have been cancelled. I said it before but Community should get picked up by TBS, USA, or even Comedy Central (since CC airs reruns already).

I wish TV Land would stop trying to only air their original shows on Wednesdays, they do realize there's 6 other days of the week, right?

Keith Crisco died suddenly? CONSPIRACY!

I'm glad they actually said it'd be Elsa, but that's also pretty stupid. Elsa is a NEW CREATION by Disney, she would literally have been created in the year that Henry and Emma were in New York, or the years they have been living in Storybrooke. I understand it's a Disney property and no matter how hard they make it seem, I'm sure they had easier time getting something from Disney than somebody else... but the actual Snow Queen would have been a better idea just like how all the other fairy tale people were from other things before Disney did their own cartoons of it.

I thought Olivia Coleman wasn't doing season/series two of Broadchurch? maybe I'm just confusing it with her saying she wasn't going to do the US version. wonder what the new storyline will be, plus didn't Olivia Coleman's character move away?
More+
Flag
To be fair, it's Elsa because that is the Disney property, but The Snow Queen is as old of a fairy tale as any of the others on the show.
Flag
I think TV Land has too few shows to air on multiple or other nights. They would likely become lost among the classic stuff. It's a good point though. If they could build up a body of material at some point, maybe they'll be able to branch out and leave the classic shows to MeTV, which should become a cable station rather than for local markets.
Flag
well currently TV Land has 4 original shows, with a 5th premiering next month and a 6th in the fall. and on top of that, Hot In Cleveland has their seasons split to air at different times of the year taking up a timeslot that could be used for another show. I know all the shows don't air at the same time, but they could atleast try to do different nights so it's not The Wednesday Network. maybe Tuesday-Thurdsay so each show could 'own' a night.
Flag
Men at Work went downhill at the beginning of the season when Neal and Amy broke up. It was hard to watch after that.
Flag
Frozen wasn't Pixar. You may be thinking of Merida from Brave, that was a Pixar movie.
Flag
sigh. Was looking forward for Rosemary's Baby (Mainly because of Patrick J. Adams), but NBC should have known it was up against Game of Thrones, finale of OUAT, and other cable shows. Sundays at 9:00 is fully booked and whatever NBC puts in that time slot will fail.
Flag
Yeah, so why not go with crap, because that always works...
Flag
Frozen was a pure Disney movie, Pixar was not involved. Just sayin.
Flag
Frozen is not a pixar film.
Flag
aw man! I was just starting to get into Men at work! (Netflix, look into this show!! {although that's like a snowball's chance in hell})
Flag
Follow this Show
Members