An Under the Dome Community
CBS (ended 2015)
Under the Dome was the summer hit-series of 2013, gaining the most viewers in 21 years. This years the ratings are not as good as last year, but they still are solid and CBS, the mother company of our own TV.com, will make a healthy profit. We only wish they would put some of that money in our site to help staff. We are now deep into the second season and the mystery has deepened, the characters have evolved, some have even died (but we do not know if it’s forever) and some even have returned from the dead. isn't it wonderful?.

Chester’s Mill and The Dome have given us so many questions over the last one and a halve season that we need to get some answers by now. Or at least, I want to know some answers and would like to get them with your, the readers, help, using ‘the wisdom of the crowd’. It is the process of taking into account the collective opinion of a group of individuals rather than a single expert to answer a question. The theory is that a large group's aggregated answers to questions involving quantity estimation, general world knowledge, and reasoning is at least as good as, and often better than, the answer given by any of the individuals within the group. So let’s ignore the individual suggestion in the comments and get to the real answers.

So please help me and vote for the answers so we finally may solve some of the mysteries that this series has given us.

We have been baffled in a positive and negative way by some of the actions of our main characters. They’re all geniuses in some way.

poll

The dome, as @TimSpot said in his last review, would benefit hugely from the actions of our favourite hero Bear.

poll

Except for some mysterious mails to the kids, we haven’t seen anything from outside the dome this season. No one else reported receiving communication so it might have been them hallucinating.

poll

As we have seen Melanie arise from the dead, I can’t imagine she will be the last.

poll

We do not know that much about Barbie except that he said he is from Zenith and has killed many a man. He might be right or he might be a liar.

poll

Julia (whom I have a crush on), is having more bedtime with Barbie then there have been days since the dome came down.

She enjoys the fact that her husband isn’t there any more. That raises the following question.
poll

When Norrie said her famous words: “Joe, I’m not having sex with you for the first time against the dome”, it was August 2013 and the actress playing Norrie and the actor playing Joe were 16 when it aired.

As Chester’s Mill is in Maine, the state law says they’re old enough.

poll

Although we've seen not that many of the people of the town, we have seen some.

poll

We have Barbie as the obviously ruggedly handsome stranger.

poll

In the first episode of the second series I saw Angie putting the garbage in a trash can. It wasn’t full so someone must come to collect the garbage.

poll

As we always only see a few people gathering when something important is happening in town.

This is endorsed by the fact that Andrea told us that she had enough food for the whole town for a couple of month in just one room and the basement. I do not believe there are that many people in the town.

poll

Is the Dome expanding? In the second episode of season one we saw our hero Ben and his friend Joe who were trying to find out how big the dome was. They had a map that excluded the island.

In episode 10 of season one we were shown a second map where the island was under the dome

We have been surprised by a lot of phenomena that can not be explained by our present (physical) laws.

poll

We have been surprised by a lot of phenomena that can not be explained by our present (physical) laws.

poll

Our heroes have been surprised by what has happened and still do not know whether the dome is protecting or attacking them.

poll

The citizens of our brave town have been ‘served’ with plagues like they were on the old testament.

poll

There has been more than one mystery and we still do not know if they are connected or individual ones. The sheriff(s) have not been helpful in determining also.

poll

Since we lost our natural leader, sheriff Howard 'Duke' Perkins in the pilot, we have seen some of the citizens trying to be of help.

poll

In the last episode, Barbie told Sam he had killed many a man. But he might have been hallucinating or dreaming about his role in history.

poll

In the last episode we were also surprised with a new and grand mystery.

poll

In season one we were treated with lots of butterfly references. this season we are left with the memory, except that a lot of them came falling down the minute Joe and Norrie kissed.

poll

In the pilot we found out that citizens were away on a festival in a nearby city.

poll

Something we’ve seen a lot of episodes are the falling pink stars. They are stars of the series and should be recognised as such.

poll

The town supplies seem to be endless, but one day something will used up.

poll

And last but not least, is the dome one big test for a Darwin Award? The Darwin Awards commemorate individuals who protect our gene pool by making the ultimate sacrifice of their own lives. Darwin Award winners eliminate themselves in an extraordinarily idiotic manner, thereby improving our species' chances of long-term survival.

poll

I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.

And do not forget to give this post a heart if you enjoyed it.
64 Comments
Comments (64)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Hey everyone... I've been watching on Amazon, so I'm a bit delayed.

What happened to Junior's teeth in season two?
Flag
Don't know? In what way did they change?
Flag
My biggest question is: why is Julia incapable of running? Seriously, watch it back, when she 'runs' towards Barbie is is comic gold!
Flag
That' s a good question for a follow up post. When I saw her running towards Barbie it looked as is she wasn't really happy to see him but had to act as if. If she'd really love him it would have looked so different, there would have been more fire in her movement.
Flag
They need to bring Angie back she was the most interesting character along with Junior.
Flag
At least her ghost was back last week to advise Junior what to do. But I understand what you mean, I am also waiting for the moment her head pops up out of the water. All the other grils killed by Sam (i.c. Melanie) popped up in the lake after all.
Flag
The abyss is Julia's vagina.
Pink stars indicate that the dome will not go down until everyone is gay
The kids should form an orgy club for group sex
and obviously, Barbie killed Ken before moving to the dream dome.
Flag
Barbie killed Ken before moving to the dream dome.

lmao... poetry just got DOMED.
Flag
Do you think the dome is expanding? no. the 2nd map is wrong.
Which supplies will dry up first? candles. they kept using it for the atmosphere like celebration and memorial..
Flag
We saw the island that was only included on the second map as being under the dome in the second half of season 1. That meant the second map can't have been wrong. Or do you have another explanation (and would love that!).
Flag
oh shit thats what they meant when they said what is outside is coming in o.o
Flag
Maybe the dome is bigger on the inside than the outside, a la TARDIS.

There's something mysterious about that water tower - what's really in it?

Too bad that guy from Following wasn't trapped - the mountain of dead bodies would burst the dome open like a cheap condom...
Flag
Good question about the water tower. I have to think about that one.......
Flag
The only question I have about the show is why is this piece of shit still on the air?
Flag
Because there are a lot of US viewers who think it is a great show and because there are people like me who like comedies.

The only question I have for you is if you enjoyed the post? If so, give it a heart.
Flag
Love this.

I noticed that the more I think about this show the clearer one thing becomes to me:
Surely, “Joe, I’m not having sex with you for the first time against the dome” is one of the all-time great lines of Television and will have its rightful spot in the pantheon of TV reserved right next to "I am the Danger" and "The Lannisters send their regards".
Flag
I mean she would never forget it - and ist a great story to tell your kids
Flag
Thanks.

I agree with you on that line, it will live long after the show has been forgotten. We all have to assume it will be Mackenzie Lintz's greatest achievement and people will show her that clip when she's in the old people's home. And they should!
Flag
Ah! That would be too mean! I myself am thankful I'm not reminded everyday of embarrassing things I did when I was 16. Give the poor girl the chance to make up for or at least forget her erroneous career choices!
Flag
But if it's her greatest achievement?

I do like to be remembered about my embarrasments when I'm in de elders home. It will make me feel young again :-)
Flag
I think you may have POll-io

Get it?!?!? Polio? BEcause of all the polls? The similarity of the words?!?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! That laugh is REAL!
Flag
I might not have been able to write it if I would have pollio (which was a serious and very present disease when I was yong around here).

Nope, I think I have an addiction to make my braincells curl up on crazy questions and answers.
Flag
Not impressed with my Rocket Raccoon impersonation, eh?
Flag
I know Rocky Raccoon.

Flag
LOL. Don't think the character is based on this guy.

I take it you haven't seen Guardians of the Galaxy yet? It is everything you are hearing about it and more. It is like a cheesy and campy Farscape - but in a good way
Flag
Look its all nonsense written by writers who on some hallucinogenic drugs you have to be very drunk to watch it
Flag
No, it would all have been better if they'de been on drugs writing it.
Flag
The world on the outside realized that they are better off without the drain of people from Chester's Mill.

Perhaps the dome feeds off of Intelligence and that is why the people inside seem to be getting dumber. Or the dome intended for MIT and missed by a 100 miles or so.
Flag
That is a great idea. The dome is feeding on the intelligence of the people inside. If they're gone, it has to move.. But to where?
Flag
Zenith. The people are already drawing pics meant for 6-year-olds. what else to expect?
Flag
I think Britt Robertson has successfully escaped Chester's Mill.

I am guessing we are supposed to believe that maybe Barbie's history is somehow implanted. Or something. I mean, he's from the same town as Melanie (he looks familiar to her, I am almost wondering if maybe he is her little brother?). But, well, if this show is actually about the alien little girl who is protecting Chester's Mill like a terrarium from her people's invasion of earth (I think, I sometimes get a little lost in Stephen King) and I suspected that maybe Melanie was actually her since she doesn't seem to have real clear memories other than those given to her in particular spots, I almost wonder if Barbie (who and I know this is the actor's real name, I want to call Mike) was like her avatar.
Flag
I assume you are quoting the book, but I've never read it.

I do like the idea of Barbie being her little brother. In case his memories are implanted we might have an interesting Total Recall crossover. Will Arnold show up to just lift the dome from its place or do we need Chuck Norris for that. he might be able to do it.
Flag
I think I am citing the book, honestly, it has been a long time since I read it and it was odd and didn't make much impact on me (I'm also not fond of short stories, which is what this was).
Flag
Correct Answer to the penultimate question on your list: INTEREST!

Flag
This is a lot of work for all that stupid. There's only one pertinent question. Why are we bothering with this nonsense at all. It's just stupid, and you all know what Mr. Gump said about stupid. It's tasteless, like mocking a retarded child.
Flag
I assume that you just kidding like the last time I took you serious and you answered: "Aw, I'm just kiddin', you go girl...".

In case not, here's the answer. I do things that I have fun with. Fun can originate in a lot of things, good or even so bad (or stupid) it can be fun again. If it's very bad, it brings all kind of thoughts to my mind I like to play with and sometimes like to share with others.

If you compare my writing to 'mocking a retarded child' I very much resent that. A retarded child is helpless in some way and (the crew of) UtD certainly isn't. They all make huge amounts of money, all chose to be in it and thus deserve what they get, positive and negative and they know and accept that.

Once again, I do things because I enjoy them and others seem to be of that same opinion. So nonsense or not in your opinion, for me UtD and what I can do with it is fun.
Flag
It's fine. I just thought it was a lot of work is all. But if you enjoy doing it, you enjoy doing it. It's not your writing that is like mocking a retarded child, it's the whole concept. These people get paid a whole lot of money and glorifying their stupidity seems wrong. They need to just go away instead of being embraced for crap. And who among us could not produce crap if called upon. I guess I'm saying I'm so done with this nonsense it isn't funny. But you should continue to do this if it floats your boat. But I would also note that you're applying logic to something that spits in the face of logic. It's just stupid for stupid's sake. People just keep pointing out discrepancies, and anyone can act stupid. It's acting smart where the talent lies and thse hacks have no talent whatsoever. And they don't deserve the empathy that you would afford a retarded child. They're stupid.
Flag
Thanks for answering.
Flag
I would also add that this kind of stupid (not you) should have a half-life of about two weeks, and then in a proper world it would be, "Off with it's head."
Flag
Yeah, I read Obama thinks about bombing Iraque, but we do not have UtD on television over here :-)
Flag
Wag the Dog :-)
Flag
We could ask the question what is wrong with US society as so many million people keep watching because they think it is good. But that would be asking for the obvious again.

I wouldn't miss it if it weren't on television.
Flag
Maybe its a new game show? Last man standing under the dome?
Flag
Mighty good idea, I should have thought of it myself.
Flag
I thought it was established that Barbie was a soldier. Doesn't he have a dog tag?
Flag
That was wonderful!!!!
Flag
Thanks!
Flag
"Who should he be assigned to if he would guest star?

I think you mean who should be assigned to him.
Flag
Uh, you're absolutely right. My bad, I should have known how Bear compares to the dome people.
Flag
Bear would have solved everything within a couple of hours and had time for a nap.
Flag
Hell, Fusco would have solved everything within a couple of hours and had time for a nap.
Flag
We thought the characters they would introduce this season would be competent, and look who we got.
Flag
Fusco is lesser than Bear? Ouch.

Reese would be done in five minutes sitting there with a smoking gun and everyone in town would have leg wounds.

Maybe the characters they introduce next season will be competent. I doubt it but hopefully.
Flag
LOOOOL, really nice thanks for this funny questionnaire, i hope our answers will help to solve the DOME mystery :) :) :)
Flag
You're welcome. I also do hope many of the mysteries are solved so the story can focus on the real important issues like: "Who's baby is Julia carrying".
Flag
Staff
Ha ha this was great, thanks! Though I wish Ben was an option for town savior. He is my spirit animal.
Flag
I thought you might like it. I totally forgot about Ben (and you) in that leader question. My mistake. he is the most promising candidate by far for the future. If only because he has a stack of food of his own hidden away somewhere. How could he have gained so much volume otherwise?
Flag
I thought they had already determined that Julia was the monarch? I don't think that makes sense, but I have learned to not expect this show to make sense.

The dome is protecting them, but the challenges and elimination of bad apples are not part of that. It's messing with them for fun, or by accident, because it doesn't know what the hell it's doing.

I used to think that the pink stars meant a meteor shower, like in Smallville, but after the egg shot out pink stars to change the dome in that incredibly bizarre season 1 finale, I guess that could have been the event that was foretold.

Also, whenever "the dome" tries to tell us something, what it says doesn't make sense. The dome appears to be far stupider than anyone inside it. So "the monarch will be crowned" could totally be a reference to the moment when Julia sort of ran the town for a few hours.
Flag
Who is the real leader who will guide Chester's Mill to the rescue?

Ben, duh! :D

Flag
Yeah, forgot him in that question. Sorry.
Flag
I just read the review each week so I can get a laugh.

I don't think I can add much to this questionaire since I do not watch, but I am guessing this show has decided to leave the book behind and create it's own path.
Flag
I've never read the book as I've never been a SK fan. Just enjoy the rading and the questions and see where you can add.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members