An Under the Dome Community
CBS (ended 2015)

Under the Dome S01E03: "Manhunt"

Well, it's becoming painfully clear that Under the Dome isn't TV's next great sci-fi series. Instead, it appears to be a fictional adult-sized version of the late CBS reality show Kid Nation, minus all the fun. After a pretty good pilot and a terrible second episode, there was no bounce back in last night's "Manhunt," an hour that highlighted in big, fat yellow marker everything that's gone wrong with this series to date. Which is a lot.

There were three stories happening concurrently in "Manhunt," all of them depressing. It felt like we were stuck on a never-ending, three-tiered M.C. Escher downward staircase where each landing was a plotline, as we were dragged on a journey that just kept spiraling until we were dizzy from awful, hammy television. Apologies to Under the Dome fans out there, and I hope we can still be friends after what I'm about to say, but I did not care for "Manhunt."

Let's start with the repercussions from last week's freakout/moment of clarity (depending on your perspective) from Officer Paul, who realized that Chester's Mill was in trouble and fired his weapon at the dome, only to watch the bullet ricochet and rip right through the heart of Officer Nice Guy (that's two police officers who've died from exploding hearts so far). Apparently under the constitution of Chester's Mill, shooting at a magical dome and having the bullet bounce back into a police officer is the equivalent of cutting off a cop's head with a machete, because Officer Paul was met by an angry mob that dubbed him a murderer, and he was hauled into the slammer by Officer Linda. Is the guy a little crazy? Sure, but wouldn't you be if a superdome cut you off from the rest of the world? Is the guy a cop killer? I'm going with no. However, in this land of wafer-thin characters, everyone needs a simple identity, so cop killer he is. But Officer Paul was a crafty sonuvagun, and made Linda fall for the "I'm coughing up a hairball, help me!" trick, locked Linda in the cell when she came in to help him (*facepalm* @ Linda), and stole some guns and ran away. It was hilarious. 

This kicked off a manhunt for Officer Paul, which essentially amounted to a bunch of people running through the woods with guns and really confusing editing. Big Jim and Barbie took some lesbo-hating bigots in one party, and Officer Linda, determined to prove that she's more than just a few credits short of getting her online acting degree, went off on her own in another manhuntin' party. Big Jim and Barbie eventually had some alone time, and Jim used the opportunity to explain his nickname in a scene that I assume was supposed to provide some kind of character development. But instead, Jim's monologue about being a tiny football player and shattering his own teammate's pelvis only allowed Officer Paul to sneak up on them and point a gun in their faces. Thankfully, safety valve Linda showed up and shot Officer Paul, and the thrilling manhunt was over. 

In storyline number two, poor kidnapped Angie sent psycho Junior to look for a way out of the dome-o-sphere by convincing him to explore dangerous underground tunnels at the old cement factory where people had previously died. It was an interesting plan; let's say the tunnels are as dangerous as Junior said they were and Junior died, then Angie would slowly rot in the underground bunker she's being held captive in because no one else knows she's there. Sorry, I don't mean to poke holes in your plan, Angie! Love-whipped Junior packed his helmet and grabbed a flashlight and went spelunking, and that nosy reporter lady Julia followed him because she's a journalist, as she'd like to remind you at every opportunity because every character in this show is identified only by their occupations and/or mental illnesses. 

It was dark down below, so Julia was able to keep a safe distance behind Junior as they descended into the concrete labyrinth. As soon as Junior took one step into the darkness I probably would have said, "Good luck, pal!" and stopped following him, but I'm not a real journalist like Julia. She actually said stuff like "asking questions is my job," and "I'm a journalist, I need to find out everything I can about this dome," so she obviously knew what she was doing when she spied on a mentally ill and violent teenage lunatic in the pitch-black bowels of a crumbling abandoned building with no working light source or phone or can of mace. Julia, you work for The Chester's Mill Independent, not Vice magazine. Isn't there a local with an impressive collection of buttons you can investigate instead?

Junior eventually face-planted into the dome like I did at that party when I ran into a glass door as a teenager, so I felt better about myself. But Junior's collision knocked the flashlight from his hand, and the dome made it explode, leaving the two of them deep underground with no light! Junior told Julia, "You shouldn't have followed me!" and then the episode cut to commercial, but when we returned Junior was pretty okay with her being there. Under the Dome loves its instigating-yet-empty cut-to-commercial dialogue, doesn't it? Remember in that one episode when Norrie said, "We're all going to die!" right before a commercial break and then we came back and nope, no one had died? And in fact, no one was even scared? They're just empty words. It's a terrible trick TV writers use hook viewers into staying through ads and it must be stopped.

But I digress! Julia saved the day by producing some matches and explaining that the way the flames flickered would tell them where the exit was, and all I could think was, "Holy sheep! This chick is totally Melisandre from Game of Thrones!" She's got the red hair, she uses fire, and she's hot. That's enough evidence for me. I was hoping she'd give birth to a shadow baby that could lead them to freedom, but I guess this show doesn't want to be that good. Anyway, they got to the point where they were on their last match, and instead of using it to get the F out of Dodge and save their hides, they used it to light up Junior's face so he could talk about Barbie. Here they were, staring death right in the eye, and they stood there like a couple of idiots and let their last match burn out so that Junior could talk about his fat lip! These people should be dead. I want them to be dead. We're all stupider for having witnessed them standing there without focusing on the immediate task at hand of escaping their concrete coffin. But these morons faced zero consequences and got off the hook when they looked to their left and discovered a staircase that led out of the tunnels. You've failed us, Darwin. 

(Note: This scene occurred immediately before Big Jim's chat about his nickname, placing two of the most bone-headed scenes I've seen all summer back-to-back. And in both cases, all the characters in danger were saved by a stroke of luck.)

But really we're all here to talk about the big Electricity Party that Joe held at his house, because it was some incredible television. See, teens under the dome don't care about the dome because teens under the dome are worthless freeloaders who only care about texting. And because Joe was one of the few Chester's Millians with a generator, he immediately became the most popular kid in town. Through some high-school-party comedy-movie antics, everyone under the age of 19 heard that Joe had power and the shindig turned into a full-blown rager with 50 kids and a six-pack of beer. Kids were "refueling" and "charging up" their Microsoft-branded devices because DJ Phil only plays face-melters for your grandpa and not the boy-band-dubstep-remixathons that teens crave. After a dome sealed them in, these kids started playing Xbox unsupervised. Is every adult in Chester's Mill a deadbeat parent, or are they all just too busy forming angry mobs to pay attention to their children's safety during a state of emergency?

Things got really out of hand when resident cool kid Carter (who alluded to having sexual relations with Angie, but hey, who hasn't had a piece of that?) started charging teens five bucks to use Joe's power. The nerve of this guy! Gothy girl Norrie stepped up to him with some American History knowledge about the Sherman Antitrust Act (seriously, she did that) but all her display of intellect did was get Carter's hormones raging and he offered to give her a good rodgering in Angie's old room. Joe intervened and right before he was going to get his face pounded in, the generator blew and the place emptied out faster than viewers are fleeing this program. Again, a character was saved by chance. 

There's a really awkward romance being set up for Norrie and Joe that's not working on any level, but they do share a connection beyond a basic knowledge of the original Star Wars trilogy ("I like nerds," Norrie said after Joe's Death Star talk got her all heated up). After Norrie's lesbian mom barged into Joe's house with only the explanation of "something goes 'boom' in a small town, parents tend to know!" Norrie and Joe held hands and had synchronized seizures. Why? Who knows? 

"Manhunt" was not a fun hour of television to sit through, even for hate-watchers. I'm getting some serious Terra Nova vibes here with weird separated teen storylines, mundane problems-of-the-week, and one-dimensional characters, when the focus should be on THE DINOSAURS THE DOME! No one is facing consequences for their stupid actions, the town is mostly going about its business as if nothing has happened, and those damned teenagers are running around in packs like rabid jackals. Under the Dome has yet to touch on any sense of a theme as it trudges through hollow weekly shenanigans and destroys its source material. Three episodes in, this show is a million-percent disappointment.

ADDEN-DOMES

– Junior attacking the dome and saying "I hate you" was the highlight of the episode. What a spaz! 

– Is it any coincidence that the BALD guy (a.k.a. the domed guy) is the bad guy? I THINK NOT.

– "Manhunt" wrapped up with these tantalizing nuggets to tide us over: Angie hid a pair of scissors from Junior, and Julia saw Barbie's map with some obvious business marked off in Chester's Mill. Not exactly the kind of stuff that makes viewers want to come back.

– Remember that scene when Linda was walking around the woods and then she heard a noise and it was all suspenseful and then a pig ran out and then that was it? That was great.

– If I were a teen, I'd be offended at how my generation was being written.

– Again, "I like nerds." 

– "Dude it's the apocalypse. Advisories don't apply. Please tell me you hit that." Joe's idiot friend has definitely become the best thing about Under the Dome because it's unbelievable that this character actually passed several levels of network approval.

– Hey! Someone, the diner boss, finally noticed that Angie was missing!

– Did you know that the actress who plays Norrie, Mackenzie Lintz, is related to Madison Lintz, Sophia of The Walking Dead? Now you know!

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter if you want to: @TimAtTVDotCom

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 9/10/2015

Season 3 : Episode 13

272 Comments
Comments (272)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I think it should be mentioned that the reason I think nobody is really panicked about the dome is that they believe that it will be resolved in a few days, kind of like a huge power outtage or something. I imagine that real fear will set in once it is obvious that this thing is going to stick around for a while.

Of course, this doesn't excuse all the morons acting like morons.
Flag
I will continue to watch this show so that I can snigger to myself as I read your amusing episode reviews. I sense we are just on the precipe of what will become some memorable "Dome craziness".
Flag
I don't know; Lost, The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones are all based on a gimmick. However, these pieces are also character studies with relateable conflicts that go beyond: What is the island? How come there are zombies? or Why is that winter can last for decades?

The Dome had potential, but it got stuck on the dome, with simplistic characters that tag along a by-the-numbers plot. The one good thing the show has going on IMO, is that is tried to avoid deaths for shock value after the pilot episode.
Flag
The problem with The Dome is that these high-concept shows are based off of a gimmick. Gimmicks can only sustain a show for so long. Most TV series work because the writers create a protaganist(s) who is constantly striving to attain a goal that is just out of their reach, a goal which directly conflicts with that character's basic nature, destiny or sense of duty (i.e. in Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy wants nothing more than to be a normal girl, but her sense of duty to protect others from evil prevents her ability to ever reach this goal). The Dome's main characters aren't striving to attain a goal that conflicts with their destiny or sense of duty. Thus, the only main driving force of the entire show is the dome itself, so the characters are wondering aimlessly around without reason or rhyme. Same thing happened with Terra Nova-- the characters weren't struggling to attain some kind of goal (like save all those people stuck in present day Earth or something), so all the show had to offer was some ridiculous dinosaur-of-the-week episode. I mean, how long can an antagonist that is mute with a bird-sized brain thwart the main characters? Even though The Dome may have worked as a novel, it just sounds like a weak premise for a TV series. CBS execs should have seen this coming and turned it into a movie instead. Then again, it is CBS...
More+
Flag
This show is like vegetarian bacon, it looks promising but it's terrible. There is a dome... a super natural thingy that should turn anyone into Curious George. Instead we see "Oblivion Face Girl" running away from her African American Lesbian mother, or Chestervilles Lois Lane wasting her last match to listen to a crazy person. Those cliffhangers of the last 2 episodes had the impact of a fruit fly hitting a cotton ball. How do they think this could be interesting for a broad audience, are these the writers from Terranova? The sad thing is that the pilot was really great and if they had stayed on that path all would be good.
Flag
"It is my job to ask questions!" ... yet you neglected to ask Barbie if the story Junior told you was accurate! Julia, in this sea of horrendously written characters, take the cake .... you are the WORST.
Flag
Oh well, I can't believe how quickly this show got bad, just bad... Didn't read the book, any chance the Dome is collapsing anytime soon? Or we get an over the dome episode? Or next to it?
Flag
Couldn't agree more with this review. And the title/description of the next episode sounds so much like one of those stupid Terra Nova stories again... But at least it will be a dome-related problem.

Why is there not a single likeable character on this show? They are all stupid, unnerving or uninteresting. Barbie was a great guy in the book and Julia was just brilliant. I have no idea why they decided to make Barbie shady the way they did and what the did to Julia is beyond description. Damn, the only one I kinda like is the radio-guy, who was one of the nastiest persons in the book.
And yes, I know, the show is supposed to be very different from the book. But that doesn't explain the lack of characters to root for.
Flag
I kind wish there was ONE character I could stand. Well OK - Barbie is fine. And a little extortion/murder isn't that big a deal compared to the rest of the characters total lack of redeeming qualities.
Most of all - that cool/mean (not sure what they are aiming for) bully guy. Not only did he had the worst written lines in like the history of western civilization, the poor guy delivering said lines acted as if he didn't even want to be there. Which isn't strange since he can hardly be a actor; I noticed in the end credit that he shares his last name with Mike Vogel ("Barbie") - a missguided attempt of some good old nepotism?
Flag
This show is so disappointing - that is all *smh*
Flag
This show better not be back next summer if it is I won't be...
Flag
Nice to see Leon Rippy in this hot mess. It'd be class writing to have his possibly both homophobic and God jibing comment to turn into purely the latter. And, to keep him alive to add some weight to this, as yet, at drift show and not just be a hater to more easily bump off at some future point.
I'm guessing this show's going to have plenty of guest stars as quirk-factors and/or Star Trek red outfits to be able to kill off and keep an otherwise unsustainable population there as it meanders by.
If this was on a cable network with an adult oriented theme it may actually be worth watching. But as is, it's a mess of cross dramas/ratings that isn't working for me. In short, it's another diluted tv King adaptation.
Flag
So, I don't want to compare the show to the book (which, incidentally, is a pretty fun read for the first 700 pages) but the plain truth is the show SUCKS at capturing all the panic and fear and speedy decent into hell that made the book so entertaining. Stephen King is weird so of course they had to tone some stuff down, but it's way too watery now.

First, f*ck Junior's storyline. They should have left this crap out, or at least gotten Angie out of the well by now. Also, ef them for trying to make Junior sympathetic. He's a sociopath with a girl locked in a dungeon, don't tell me about his daddy issues and expect me to care one single bit.

Second, they royally screwed up two of the best characters: Barbie and Julia. Julia is UNBEARABLE in the show! Seriously, I hate her. She's incredibly obnoxious and gratingly nosy and earnest. And I know shows are desperate to jump on that anti-hero trope now, but Barbie is supposed to be the unequivocal good guy. Now he's a knee capper and murderer? He's supposed to be all pure of heart and sh*t! They just muddied up any claim he should have had to moral superiority. Uh, you killed a guy, bro.

Finally, the show is just boring. It focuses on gross awful people and their gross awful storylines. I'm really not sure I wanna watch anymore. Let me know when stuff starts happening, or when Julia gets killed by a mentally unstable Junior after she sneaks up behind him in a mine shaft. God I was hoping that would happen :(
More+
Flag
Awful acting all around, except for Barbie and Big Jim (who I'd rather refer to as Hank). Junior is the absolute worst, and the reporter can't go 3 minutes on screen without reminding us that she is a reporter. I've finished 1 season of a CBS show my entire life, and that was Mike & Molly while I packed-up my college apartment. This network is the worst, yet for some reason people support it.
Flag
read the book long ago and loved it never have seen the series. everyone knows the book is always better.
Flag
Tim, love the review but you missed the most glaring mistake in the entire series (so far)! In episode 2 the main annoying teenager (I'm going to call him Sansa) was recording video of, well, everything, holding his phone like a regular bonehead (i.e. vertically) but when he was replaying the video in this week's episode the video was magically horizontal! Terrible acting and they really should have used a stunt phone.

In all seriousness, this is certainly one of the better King TV (mini)series to date, even though that's not saying much, and I just hope that they start getting into the meat of the book. It's a shame Junior didn't kill Angie like he did at the start of the book (then kept going back to visit her), that would have been interesting.
Flag
I shall carry on watching but I'm finding it hard to root for any of the characters. I guess the young lad is alright and Barbie has at least abit of intrigue. The reporter is annoying, Hank from Breaking Bad is a bit of a dick, Junior is... Junior and I don't really give a shit about the lesbian mums and their bad-chick daughter or any of the other characters. I'll keep watching though because I want to know how it ends...
Flag
I had the same motive as you to keep watching this garbage ... but, then I realised this show is based on a Stephen King book and my time is far better spent reading it. I honestly dont care if its different ... im sure stephen king came up with a far better ending than these writers could ever dream of.
Flag
I think it's really good ^__^
Flag
The problem is, it ain't Stephen King writing it. Or even Brian Vaughan. Instead we get Rick Cleveland (who?) and Adam Stein (huh?). Stein has written four episodes of Damages, and the classic "I Just Want My Pants Back." What qualifies him to write a mini-series?
Flag
What, are they gonna pray the gay out of her?
Flag
The problem with shows such as this one is that they have an interesting premise then chose to ignore it until they need it. Look at shows like Flashforward, Terra Nova or even The Event. I would expect more town drama, tension between the characters and then suddenly the dome issue springs back into prominence to stir the pot a little.
Flag
The interesting premise is used to attract people and hopefully distract them from the bad writing/directing.
Flag
3 episode probation is over. This series is naff.
Flag
I like the 4 episode test as a guideline ... but I think I will break my own rules for this nonsense. It's over! (I will of course come back for tim's sarcastic reviews - the best part of bad shows such as these :-))
Flag
"The abandoned concrete factory's tunnels are dark and full of terrors." Funniest thing I've seen in a while. Well done on that caption.
Flag
I think from now on I'm just going to read the review and not bother with watching the episode. I found myself almost screaming at the tv when she lit up yet another match 1 step after the last one went out. Like, did she forget what she had just seen?!! I did laugh though when the generator went kaboom and all the kids just walked out the house. I think I only saw one of them pick up their phone - wasn't that why they were there?! And not even a word of thanks to the host - kids these days, how rude!
Flag
When is it okay to say that Stephen King makes bad movies television? I'd hoped that this show would at least be down there with Jericho, so I'd at least be a little entertained before they cancelled it.

Ehh, I don't even feel like ranting. This show's bad. I go now.
Flag
The only similarity between the book and this mini series is the title. Anyone who read the book will agree with me. The Stevens ( King & Spielberg ) should be ashamed.
Flag
If Under the Dome and Revolution were ever to do a cross over show, the force multiplier of stupidity would implode the universe
Flag
Indeed, while the book also concentrated on dynamics between the townsfolk, the stories were much better connected and eventually came to highlight the impact of the dome. I feel that a lot of important stuff has been stripped down and what's left has been changed in a worse direction. For example, while Joe and Norry had a little thing going on in the book too, the focus was them trying to find out more about the dome. Barbie's role was to be the link with the authority from the outside, while trying to deal with serious animosity from the inside. Now everyone is running around doing totally uninteresting things. While I was still quite willing to give the show a chance last episode, now I think that it might be a wasted effort. To bad, because the book could have translated quite nicely on screen.
Flag
I don't get Joe lack of concern for his sister Angie I mean he has not seen his sister for two full days and that does not even register in his radar
He does not even mention her when he talks to Norrie
Even when the bully mention his sister he does not seem recall
that she just vanished
We all seen how smart this boy can be and yet at this matter he is completely stupid
Flag
With the exception of The Shining, Misery and The Shawshank Redemption have any of Stephen Kings books transferred well to screen, big or small? Yet another disappointment. Please never ever attempt The Dark Tower, it would break my heart.
Flag
Needful Things as a runner up x
Flag
I thought The Stand was sublime.
Flag
Nope!
Flag
Really??? I've never heard of anyone who didn't love it, and feel that it stayed as close as possible to the book.
Flag
Chocolate, I thought the acting was good except for perhaps Molly Ringwald. Some of the dialogue was clunky because that's how SK's dialogue is, and he did some of the writing for the mini series. He's made a gazilion dollars and his dialogue is still awkward. It's awkward to read, and I know it must be awkward to have to act with.
Flag
I wanted to love it, it's my favourite book, but the acting was only so-so for me :-(
Flag
Stand By Me
Flag
Meh!
Flag
Burn the blasphemer!
Flag
Woke up with a sore throat this morning, your black magic works (sort of) LOL
Flag
Carrie (the original), Christine, Salem's Lot (minus the weird decision to cast the vampire as Nosferatu), Desperation, The Dead Zone movie, Pet Semetary (minus Denise Crosby)...
Flag
Meh, nope x 4 and meh!
Flag
'Haven', supposedly based on King's 'The Colorado Kid" even though it really has little to nothing to do with it, is still around on SyFy and its a good show that has disproved the theory that Eric Balfour is a show killer. Personal favorite is still "The Stand" mini-series that had a good cast and was overall a decent adaptation of the book for television at the time - its old and hasn't aged too well. Ben Affleck was developing a remake for the movies at one time but I think it may be dead.
Flag
I have a soft spot for It, primarily due to the kid's scenes and Tim Curry. John Ritter is horribly miscast, and they removed out all the subtleties. But they didn't make much sense beyond the printed page anyway. I think they were planning to do a remake of that, too.
Flag
That's too bad. It really needs a remake, though to this day I shudder when I think of Flagg's smile.
Flag
Pet cemetary!.....la la la ..I dont wanna be buried, in a pet cemetary, I dont want to live my life again...la la la
Flag
Awful scary baby face effects, akin to the vamp offspring in Twilight.
Flag
what about The Dead Zone it was a great tv show
I still miss it
Flag
OMG this show is getting worse and the teens are getting more annoying! "I like nerds"? Seriously, I doubt any teen in this century would say such a thing. Lame dialogue! Boring storyline!
Flag
I read the book, and am sorely disappointed by this show. Also, most of the acting is TERRIBLE. It's more like a show that SyFy produced rather than a network. I wonder what Stephen King thinks of the show and how they are butchering his book, lol
Flag
Actually, Stephen King is one of the ones butchering his book. He's one of the Executive Producers and they trotted him out to discuss the series in one or two of the previews.
Flag
That's just sad.....maybe he wanted to make the show very different from the book? Like an alternate version? I dunno
Flag
Ok, totally agree with you Tim, the show is disappointing and this episode was pretty lame, but the episode review was pretty dang entertaining and amusing to boot, so kudos on that.
Flag
That's it for me. I don't want to suffer anymore. I'll just watch True Blood and Wilfried this summer, and that's that.

One last note: There is a girld chained to a bed in an underground shelter that reeeeeeeeally needs to go to the toilet.
Flag
She's on the Brady Bunch bathroom system. If you've ever seen the show, you know all six kids shared a bathroom, and the bathroom didn't have a toilet.
Flag
Kids these days...
Flag
How long has it been since the dome appeared? Two- three days? more? How do they still have enough food? Maybe they grow all their food right here in town? I know it shouldn't be starvation yet but they are way too relaxed about the food (I might be too worried because I'm hungry right now). Oh well, what am I saying, the show makes no sense and this is just a tiny little detail....
Flag
I love Under the Dome for the simple reason it gives me something to rant about now Defiance has ended it's season.

First off how psycho boy tried to set up barbie guy was pretty lame. Also reporter girl where barbie guy is staying only doing the 'you bruised your knuckles?' instead of the 'why did you beat up psycho boy? was plain dumb.

Ptsd cop's escape from jail was.... lost for words.... but how stupid can girl cop be?? And did he steal a rifle with a loudener on it? At least I'm pretty sure it was a silencer that didn't silence anything.

Psycho guy and kidnap girl are cute together, they should hook up. Just kidding. These scenes are horrible and I have no idea where they are going with this. Except for wasting everybody's time. Best to kill psycho boy quickly and release kidnap girl.

Barbie guy living with reporter girl and keeping a map with a big red x on it in his backpack was, let's be honest, pretty dumb for a pretty dumb guy.

Stoner dude cockblocking generator guy by inviting everybody over to his house and asking if he tapped weird chick was just cruel. Asshole jock hogging all the juice and trying to tap weird chick was annoying. Weird chick going all antitrust act on jock guy was dumb, invalid as an argument and pretentious and also why, from this day forward, I call her weird chick.

BIG SHOUT OUT to the dome for shutting generator guy and weird girl up and setting them to vibrate!
More+
Flag
Another ridiculous show made better by Tim's reviews. Thank you.

Also, why hasn't Joe noticed that Angie was missing? I don't even remember the diner boss saying anything about Angie... This is a small town with no where to go, several days have passed and no one is asking about Angie? I mean, she's probably got like 5 or more booty calls in the town, so you'd think they'd at least be trying to find her. lol
Flag
Poll: Who is Under The Dome's worst character?
Is this working now?
Flag
This episode wasn't worse than the second but confirmed that this is not a show worth watching. It is boring, writing is predictable and acting is getting worse (or perhaps it's just the bad writing). One character that irritates me to no end is the red head journalist whose zealous attitude towards finding news feels out of place and jarring when the whole town is trying to figure out how to survive.

Really disappointed as the pilot was so good...
Flag
I agree, the pilot must have been the only good thing about the show so far.
Flag
Even if the ratings are there, does anyone still think this show has the potential to be an ongoing series (or series of miniseries)? As CBS tried to claim they were considering?
Flag
At this rate? I think they should've stuck to a movie and don't ruin it any further.
Flag
That episode was soooooo boring and stupid but I'll continue watching for 3 reasons:
1) it's such a joy to read Tim's review the next day
2) the episode where all the dead come back to life should be hilarious (I have no idea if it's in the book, but really, that's where they're going right?)
3) if the deads really come back to life, Tim's review should be even more hilarious!!
Flag
What with all this hate with under the dome and Revolution. Personally i just found it watchable i do wish they speed up storyline or at least give us clues about the dome.
Flag
This show is just offensively terrible.

Are we supposed to feel bad for JR now? Oh no, his daddy is harsh and mean, and just doesn't 'get' his mind zapped freakazoid son... :( Poor, poor weirdo JR....Guess that justifies kidnapping his ex-sex buddy....what a layered, complex character he is, what a tribute to writers everywhere....ok, I can't keep a straight face anymore :P.

P.S. sorry, this show makes me angry. I *might* just have to stop watching.... for health reasons...
Flag
If you think this is bad, you should watch an episode or two of The Following.
Flag
It is not that bad of series at least it is not Revolution where the only thing you have to look forward to is Charlie getting punched in the face :)
Flag
I don't think Under the Dome is that bad. It was like Chicago Fire, people were underestimating it. But it turns out to be good.

I think Under the Dome is like watching LOST. We won't get to know the reason behind the dome pretty soon, because this show is planned for a few seasons, right? Just like LOST, I think this show is never about the dome (that's just for the marketing value), it's actually a show about the people in Chester's Mill.

PS: Under the Dome is way better than Terranova. The dinosaurs didn't help it. At least I'm still rooting for some characters in this show, unlike on Terranova--none.
Flag
To me, the difference is: Lost was a character driven drama, the characters from Under the Dome aren't interesting enough to worth the trouble.
Flag
Like Lost??? Ummm... I hated the ending, but that comparison is like saying breast implants are like mcdonalds chicken nuggets, cuz both have silicone in them...
Flag
Junior's like the shows joffery baratheon
Flag
I wish, maybe then he would be somewhat interesting.
Flag
At least the actor playing Joffrey is good .... this guy is f***ing terrible
Flag
I like Joffrey more. Jr is just a flat out petard!!!
Flag
Yeah, I kinda of hate how my generation has been written. Nothing you can do about it though.
Flag
Another episode of nothing close to an answer, except for the synced seizure, which I'm guessing a shocking number of the trapped people will be too dumb to suspect has something to do with the dome. Either way, the show is showing the strain of being written in a way that could allow it to continue next year or be ended in thirteen installments.
Flag
Prior to the pilot, I was having a discussion with a colleague where my spidey sense described this show as a combiation of 'Persons Unknown' and 'Revolution'. I wasn't expecting 'Under the Dome' to be good, but damn, I wasn't expecting it to be THIS bad.

Collectively, I'm not sure if I've ever hoped that so many characters meet a grizzly well earned death than I have in three episodes of those gong show. EVERYBODY is a complete tool. There's nothing wrong with being an annoying character, if it's by design and that character is engaging...but these dummies? Bah

I don't know if a show has ever earn my badge of, "I'm gonna watch just to see how bad it gets" so quickly, but at this point, I'm hoping the dome starts shrinking to slowly and painfully crush everybody in this ridiculous town of Chester's Mill.
Flag
That would actually be interesting as the people, okay maybe not these people, but people, began to realize the dome was closing in on them, forcing them to move from their homes, clustering closer and closer together.

You have the start of a good short story there. You should write it down.
Flag

This show is confirming my test to determine if a show sucks after 3 episodes: If I can't remember the name of most of the characters after 3 episodes, the show sucks. Well, apart from Barbie the doll of course (bwahahah). And a show in which Jeff Fahey dies in the first episode CAN'T BE GOOD.

Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members
  • 9:00 pm
    What Would You Do?
    NEW
    ABC
  • 10:00 pm
    Dateline NBC
    NEW
    NBC