An Under the Dome Community
CBS (ended 2015)

Under the Dome S01E04: "Outbreak"

Dearest Ethel,

It's been 20 days since something crashed into the dome. Since then, we've endured a house fire, a manhunt for a renegade cop, and a waitress locked in an underground shelter. I fear it will be many more weeks of dome-related destruction, and all we'll be left with for excitement is whatever plan the stoned reverend decides to botch due to the lobotomy he received from a Chinatown doctor. I feel trapped and unable to escape from this horror, yet I also feel strangely drawn to it. There is unrest among us, and we may soon become our own worst enemy. Pray for me. I hope to return to your loving arms and sanity soon.

Yours in love and faith,
Peter

There is a group of people, a community if you will, looking for an escape from a horrific imprisonment. The passage above is the last known journal entry written by a member of that community—Mr. Peter J. Periwinkle, Under the Dome viewer—before he stopped watching the CBS summer drama. It's likely that many of his peers will follow him after tonight's episode, "Outbreak," which cemented Under the Dome's failing of the TV.com 4-Episode Test (copyright, trademark, fine print legal jargon).

I came into "Outbreak" with a false sense of confidence because CBS sent out Episode 4 and Episode 5 in advance of tonight's airing, and mid-season screeners are typically a sign that a network feels so good about the episode(s) that they're counting on us to become part of the hype machine of marketing. Maybe next week's fifth episode is really good, I don't know yet. But as of "Outbreak," we're back to the scare-of-the-week while Mr. Dome laughs at its prisoners.

But the episode didn't start out that way! In fact, things looked GREAT when a mob of people were gathered near the dome, writing on it with spraypaint and generally acting uppity about their situation. That's how we all expected people to act under the circumstances, right? Officer Linda drew her weapon and threatened to pop some caps in some people's head-domes, yet the mob still pushed forward. But then Jim rolled up and said, "Hey quit it, you guys!" and everyone backed off in unison. ARGH so frustrating. These citizens of Chester's Mill are a mercurial bunch, ready to flip burning cars one moment and then hold hands the next. Capturing the social climate of a small town is never easy in television, but Under the Dome has managed to nail it. This is not a normal town. These Chester's Millsians are a collection of insane weirdos. They're like the Bipolar Borg.

But at least Under the Dome finally attempted to illustrate some of the panic that the show has been missing. It's just too bad that once it did, "Outbreak" reverted to Under the Dome's pattern of saying, "F the dome, let's create a new problem!" This week, an outbreak of flesh-eating bacteria ebola meningitis! I'll grant you that a deadly viral/bacterial outbreak under the dome is scarier than, say, a house fire, but the way the threat was squelched was even less interesting than the bucket brigade from two weeks ago. Basically, Big Jim and Barbie went to go get medicine, they eventually found medicine (Reverend Junkie had taken it all), and then they brought it back to the hospital, where those afflicted with meningitis took antibiotics and got better.

When all these dome survivors eventually recall their trials and tribulations under the dome for their future book deals, the meningitis scare will fall somewhere between "that one time someone stubbed their toe" and "the day the diner ran out of iced tea." There's nothing wrong with having episodes be more self-contained, with their central problem introduced and solved within the same hour, but can the characters at least face a little more of a challenge in finding a solution? In previous episodes, Big Jim put out a scary fire by running over it with a tractor, and the deadly manhunt for Officer Paul came to an end when Linda stumbled out of the woods, saw Paul holding Jim and Barbie at gunpoint, and then shot him. What happens next week? Does Junior lock his keys in the car, forcing Barbie to spend the whole episode unlocking the door with a coat hanger while the entire town watches in fear? Believably high stakes require more than just a sense of danger, they need a sense of accomplishment once a problem is resolved. Give the characters an obstacle! In "Outbreak," Big Jim and Barbie went to a store and then to a friend's house, where they shoved an old man to the ground and stole back their medicine. My brave heroes!

So no, the big meningitis scare didn't exactly make "Outbreak" thrilling to watch. The most important takeaways from the episode were in the little details. I guess the most interesting thing was the synchronized seizures experienced by teen squeezes Norrie and Joe? They recorded their shaking session on Joe's eternally charged cell phone (he has a generator), watched Joe sit up midway through the seizure and "Shhhh!" at the camera, and then arrived at the very scientific conclusion that the dome had possessed Joe and instructed him not to tell anyone about the seizures. You know who else told Joe not to talk about his seizures? His idiotic friend Ben. Therefore, we can surmise that Ben is the dome. Hey, it's as reasonable as what the show actually insinuated (dome possession)! Like I've said before, I haven't read the book and I don't know what this dome is, but seeing Joe sit up in the middle of a brain fritz and hush his smartphone pushes this whole mystery in a direction that I'm not sure I want. And the Wonder Teens' decision to not tell the only doctor in town that they'd had more seizures *Joe winks at the dome* was the kind of behavior we only expect from teens on a television show. 

Junior got to play hero this week when his dad tasked him with keeping the hospital quarantined. Basically Big Jim gave him a shotgun and told him to stand by the door. Nobody bothered to explain the situation to the people who were gathered in the waiting room; Junior just said, "The clinic is now closed, no one leaves... understand?" and waved his gun around the air like he was Yosemite Sam. Maybe you wouldn't need to brandish a shotgun if you told people what was going on, ever think of that Junior? And don't most hospitals have more than one door? I'm pretty sure fire codes dictate that buildings must have multiple exits. And ALL THREE of the doctors who worked in the hospital were gone or incapacitated (one was on vacation, one had smashed his car into the dome, and one was "MIA"), but plenty of nurses, medical assistants, and lab techs were still there. Does Under the Dome think we're not paying attention to anything?

To top it all off, Junior got the angry masses in order by telling a story about eating cornbread as a child, and relating that to being part of the town and blah-bitty-blah everyone backed down. Again, the townspeople of Chester's Mill become docile in a situation in which they should've been toting torches and pitchforks. Junior cocked a shotgun in their faces, but as soon as he said "cornbread" everyone was like, "Oh okay. Right, cornbread." And if that wasn't enough, Junior ended up earning a deputy's badge from Linda because of his heroism and coolness under pressure. Methinks Linda would give a badge to someone she'd just arrested if they complimented her on her earrings. People shouldn't worry about the dome giving people meningitis or turning them into psychos, they should worry about it making everyone act super stupid, because that's what's happening.  

But once again, the real joy of Under the Dome came from seeing Angie stuck in an underground shelter. Remember those scissors she hid last week? Well, she took a stab at Junior after some pretend seduction, but messed that up before the opening credits even rolled. So that was totally worth it. And then it was almost Benny Hill theme song time when she broke a pipe that jetted water into her face, slowly filling her tomb. After that, it was just watching her try to scream out a vent and get really upset at her chains. I know that Angie met a different fate in the book (I was spoiled), but surely that was better than what she's been through so far on this show. However, the nightmare looked as if it was coming to an end when Big Jim found her in the hole (she wasn't even grateful!), but I'm hoping he just turns around and leaves without saying a word because I've become grimly attached to seeing her trapped. Can we leave her down there for one more episode? At least give her the chance to get really bad diarrhea or slip on a banana peel a few times.

We're four episodes in and Under the Dome has taken a promising adaptation and turned it into mush. The show's writing is terrible and its characters don't have anything to do except walk around and bounce off each other like pinballs. The only winner in this whole thing is that cow that got halved. Lucky cow.

ADDEN-DOMES

– Where was Joe's pal Ben? Did he knock himself out while performing a reverse McTwisty fakie goofy-foot style at the skate park? Is he "hitting that" with some bored teen girl? Did he try to lick the dome? I miss Ben and his wisdom ("If humans are 70-percent water, can we pass through the dome?") already. I don't want to watch another episode of this show if Ben isn't in it.

– Congratulations to the reverend for burning pills without burning his house down. He's really showing vast improvement in his mental capacity. But I question the God he believes in. He can be involved in a drug operation and steal propane and get high off of whatever it is he finds under the sink and that's all good in his Lord's eyes? But then he can also let innocent people die from meningitis? This religion sounds pretty shitty.

– Did you all like how Barbie carried Julia out of the cabin in slow motion and to the tune of sentimental acoustic-guitar jamz? 

– Did you all like how all the main characters ended up at the hospital at the same time? Do you think they carpooled?

– Could Julia have contaminated the rest of the town when she left the hospital? What a selfish little lady.

– Linda's third-grade teacher never stood a chance of surviving. Fifty bucks says it's never mentioned again and it was just a poor attempt to bring some emotion into this empty threat. 

– Another fIfty bucks says Alice is gonna wish her wife stole that insulin! And really, if you're the only doctor in town and you just saved it from an outbreak of meningitis, aren't you entitled to a few shots of diabetes medicine?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 9/10/2015

Season 3 : Episode 13

150 Comments
Comments (150)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I lost it when I read 'cornbread'. :)
Flag
What's so implausible about the cornbread story? A nice, warm slice always calms ME down (especially the jalapeño kind, baked from a cast-iron skillet, with a dab of butter on top). Ohhhhh-----
Flag
The thing that irks the most about about the show is that none of the characters behaves like a normal human being. When a dome covers our town, I don't see myself rushing to a party, or congregating with everyone else at some random stop to chant 'murderer', or not notice that my pastor is some sort of retarded junkie.

"If anyone leaves out of the hospital..", doesn't make sense. Am sure lots of people are already outside the hospital, unless all the sick just happen to be inside.

Why does Big Jim keep reminding us that he's the 'only councilman'?

I would have enjoyed Junior's character if he was at least consistent. One minute he's being beaten like a little girl, by Barbie, the next moment he's dodging Angie's scissors attacks and holding her down with one hand, the next he's cowering every time his dad talks to him, the next he's threatening Julia(smh). I don't know whether I should be afraid of the character of the writing.

Ben, the idiotic friend, enough said.

While meningitis is serious, this episode just showed the lack of material for the show.. a very uninteresting filler.

I'll still watch the show, Stephen King and Spielberg, though the more I watch the more I more I want to read the book and get it over with, it's definitely better... 0.o or is that the point of the show?
More+
Flag
We could have a great show. Coming from a good writer (S.King) and all but I'm a bit disappointed... There are too many flows, errors.
And I think the waitress will be more than a little disapointed too... I'm pretty sure the Big Jim won't let her go!!
Flag
Haha this show is so inconsistent and has so many goofs and some of the scenes base on pure finger crossing that the audience won't question it. Junior has never been seen in a car before, he is always on foot, how would Barbie even know about the Truck? Some strange woman who is a psychiatrist all of a sudden becomes the boss of the hospital and cures meningitis with antibiotics in 1 hour. When the water was supposed to fill up the fall out shelter they couldn't even show the water level in the end because people would have noticed that the water wasn't rising.
This series has a great drinking game potential
Flag
Not being a doctor I have to ask...is meningitis so easily treatable? You get sick, within a couple of hours you are about to die, you get a shot of antibiotics and 1 hour later your fine. Seriously?
Flag
This is not a show about people trapped under a mysterious dome trying to figure out their unique, scary, and utterly crazy situation. BUT RATHER, it's a soapy show about a town full of secrets and lies, who just so happened to have a huge contact lense dropped on their heads. No biggie!

Personally, I would rather watch the former. But hey, what do I know about summer-time dome based television?!?! Seriously, this show could take place underwater, on the moon, in a volcano, and not much would change.....
Flag
It's sad and pathetic how many people come to this site looking ONLY for articles that shit all over tv shows. Negative, cynical, sick people who aren't capapable of enjoying ANYTHING. Seriously, you are all part of that group of people who can't understand that something like Sharknado is so bad it's good. You people would just call it awful and not realize that was the point. Under the Dome is MEANT to be a little over dramatic. For you idiots to think that every TV show should follow your expectations is SOOO sad and pathetic.

Flag
What does it say when you come here, whining for *us* to follow *your* expectations?

Some shows suck, and when they do, they should be called out, lest it replicate similar suckage and lower the standards of everything around it. You may enjoy every turd of a show to plop onto your television screen, but some of us would rather fight to keep the stink a little further away.

And many of us understand the concept of "So bad, it's good," but it seems that you need to look a little deeper and find a tinier truth: some things are so bad, they're not good; they're just bad.

And when they are... *cue loop to second paragraph*
Flag
I hate you so much Tim Surette. You are CONSISTENTLY assigned all of my favorite shows, and without fail, EVERY TIME, you shit all over those shows. I have NEVER read a review that you have written that had anything positive to say ever. You are a garbage writer and reviewer, all I can think of is that episode of the Simpsons where Homer is a food critic and goes around town telling everyone their food is crap.

Honestly, TV.com is a great website that is dragged down by your stupidity.
Flag
I love Tim Surette, if he was a sandwich... oh well that sentence cannot end well :-)
People don't come here to Sh!t over a show, they come inspite of the shitty show just because they are so upset that they are not using the premise to do something interesting about it. There is a frigging dome.. a dome for crying out loud, you can't get in or out, would you move on with your life or would drag a sleeping bag to that thing and sleep there just to be close to it. Wouldn't your mind be consumed 24/7 whith questions about that thing? Teenagers rather charging their cell phones instead of being there. A captive attacking her kidnapper with a pillow.. one match left in the box and instead of finding the exit miss Carrot Top listens to a story of Creepy Mc Junior. The only thing I have really learned is that Hank Shrader is not lactose intolerant. Since you like THIS show your probably don't know who Hand Shrader is, he is a character in a very good show that Tim is dreaming about when he sees an RV :-)
Flag
This one of your favorite shows???????? Already?????????????
Flag
Were we suppose to care about the chick we'd never seen before dying?
Flag
Injecting the antibiotics into the actual drip bag? Errr say what now? Surely that will make it leak? Surely that's why injection ports were invented in the tubing? Can't believe Tim missed that one...
Flag
Thats it, Im out! I gave it four episodes.
Flag
This is the last episode for me but I'll keep reading this reviews cause they are hilarious.
Flag
I wonder how the producers are going to handle things when the food runs out, remember the store was waiting for deliveries, when the air runs out, it is supposed to be a giant snowglobe after all, and when the gas runs out, no more driving in circles. BTW how is electricity and water getting into town?
Flag
The water is fine, remember the bit in episode 2 (I think) were they were spraying the dome with a high powered hose and the water was leaking in? It's slightly permeable...

Air *should* be fine, considering it's a very large area and they've got plenty of trees, I'd have to do the math, but my gut reaction is that air wont be much of a problem.

Food on the other hand...

Still not enjoying this show very much, very 90ish crap Tv vibe for me.
Flag
Hahaha sounds like this one was just as bad as the preceding two, glad I skipped it, though keep the reviews comin'.

Wow. Have I gone meta?
Flag
We've been watching this - because the rest of TV right not is just complete and utter crap - but its definitely a "laughing at them not with them" experience. The writing - as pointed out - is comically bad. The characters behave in completely unrealistic ways and its impossible to really care about what happens to any of them... I mean really, was anyone sitting at home going "OMG I really hope [Profession] [Name] doesn't die of meningitis!"
Flag
Under The Dome is not that bad. It's okay and I enjoy watching it so far. The epidemic was too easily contained to be believable and I wish they had come up with a more credible solution. At the same time I didn't want it to be given more importance. The show could clearly be better and I hope it will.

Flag
So, this outbreak...was it in any way connected to the main storyline? Why was it there? What if a zombie outbreak happens?
Flag
Zombies! Yeah, that might save this show. Zombies in a dome is even better than zombies in a shopping centre!
Flag
I think this show is doing fine and we don't really need to know everything about the dome so early in the game.I also don't think people in the town should freak out after only a few days.People should keep calm and try everything they can to be papered for the coming days.Now saying all that I think this episode had a few stupid things
1) Joe finally asked about his sister but he did it in the most Indifferent way like he was looking for his wallet not his sister
2) The dome wanted Joe and the girl to keep quite really ? I think you're a bit too late on that count I mean allot of people already saw Joe and the girl get their seizures
3) The red head girl was mad about Barbie for lying to her but she seem to forget he just saved her life
4) The all insulin thing like you pointed out.If your the only docter in town and you need insulin to keep going it is the town's best intrest to give you some
Flag
Sorry peeps, I'm done. I really tried to twist this into some sort of meta-fictional entertainment (for the children -- who will think of the children!) but I haven't the strength of will to sit through another episode. Even with the PVR -- which I turned off at least 5 times during this episode to ensure my continued sanity -- I just can't do it. I feel trapped ... like there's a huge dome surrounding me and the only other "people" here are cartoon cut-outs with the psychological consistency of runny custard and the unshakable delusion that they are actually human.

I'll check in here for the details whenever I'm feeling guilty for abandoning these poor half-wits in that sanatorium fish bowl. I know it's not their fault. They were written that way. But a man only has so much compassion to give.

Flag
Does anyone know if Under the Dome was shopped around other networks before CBS decided to pick it up? It just seems like an odd choice for Steven King to go with. The ridiculousness of Under the Dome isn't exactly surprising, Neither is the fact that CBS dumbed-down the book's complex themes and social commentary out of fear their typical audience wouldn't understand (I mean we're talking about the last major network to use a laugh track, for fear their audience won't know when to laugh). Why great writers like Steven King and Brian Vaughn chose to go with an incompetent writng staff, or chose to air on CBS, a network notoriously dependent on procedural shows, is beyond me (unless no one else wanted to pick up their pilot).The show's procedural format is a ridiculously wrong fit for this story, and I can't help but conclude that CBS execs were terrified that a serialized show would be too complex to attract a large audience from week-to-week. .
Flag
I have to agree with most people here to say that it has gone downhill since the pilot. However the ratings has hold steady since episode 2 according to Wiki. In fact there was an increase from episode 3 to episode 4 so I guess it might earn a season 2 if this continues. I think most viewers (those who did not read the book) like me want to see what is the mystery all about,likely we will be disappointed but according to book reader, it is worth the wait. Those who read the book probably want to see what other stuff the writers of the show have messed up. I just hope if the mystery of the dome in the book is really good, they do not change it in the series. If by the end of the season, there is no mystery solved than I probably give up even if there is a season 2.

By the way, Siberia is now way more interesting. Perhaps more people will switch over now.

Side note: I think Tim has a wonderful job. I mean you can write bad things about your bosses projects. In what job can you do that? Ha...
More+
Flag
Yeah, at first I was worried Tim couldn't rip this show properly cuz its on C-BS. But he is anyway, good for you Timmy!!
Flag
Goodness..Its easy to rip this show to shreds..( just like The Following) The writers don't make you work for it. They set it up like a kid playing tee ball. I will be kind.After last weeks "manhunt" this episode had to be better..right? The positives (1) Discovery of the girl!! Hooray!! Now what?
(2) An "effort" to make junior complex . and that would be fine but we as viewers already know the truth. The negatives( I'm going easy) (1)The populace is awfully calm..(2)Barbie not telling redhead the truth..Only 13 episodes fellas..Show some BALLS writers..Let us see the characters deal with the consequences for more than 1 episode!! (3) The "DOME" telling the kids not to tell. WTF?! Too Funny.. I don't want a resolution at the end of every ep!( tip of my cap to Tim) Can you imagine (In Dome World) If every issue they had through the first 4 episodes was still a problem..Fire,Manhunt,Outbreak all still happening at the same time? Outbreak Grade=D!!
Flag
Yup. I'm done. Not one interesting, compelling or intelligent character or plot. The recaps are entertaining, even though the show isn't, so I'll still be reading those. Thank God for Teen Wolf.
Flag
"These citizens of Chester's Mill are a mercurial bunch, ready to flip burning cars one moment and then hold hands the next." That's it! It just came to me. This isn't the cozy yet dysfunctional town of Chester's Mill...it's Springfield USA! And the reason people aren't acting more scared isn't because they're dumb, it's because they know there's nothing to fear. They don't think they're trapped under a dome, they think they're in stage one construction of their new monorail. A genuine, bonafide, propane powered, six car monorail. In the unaired prequel episode that I'm sure will be released with the DVD box set, a handsome and charismatic stranger showed up one day to try and sell the townsfolk of Chester's Mill the idea of a monorail. There were some initial protests, but after the tried and true technique of, "Ahh, never mind, it's more of a Westlake idea", Big Jim stood up and with a few words (and maybe a catchy song), everybody was on board. Behind the scenes, he cut a side deal and is receiving kickbacks on the project...hense, the bag full of cash. I can't wait for episode 5 when Side Show Bob shows up to kill slacker Ben who, despite his idiocy, constantly foils his plans
More+
Flag
Anyone recall this gem of a dialogue:
Barbie: "whoever took the medicine could not have gotten far"
Jim: "Why? Because of the dome?"
Flag
I don't watch anymore so I didn't see that line. Thank you so much for the laugh
Flag
The show is so illogical that the best part for me has become noticing those little mistakes. :) If I remember correctly, only a few houses have electricity generators (that's why we saw the teenage charging party last week), but they don’t seem to be out of electricity, do they? If my home was without electricity, the food in the fridge would go bad in... hmmm... two days? still everybody has enough food. And still nobody is panicking. Come on people, show us some sign of worry!
Flag
I found this episode pretty terrible. The outbreak was resolved too quickly and easily, and baby Sam Winchester and his girlfriend are really starting to get on my nerves. Whenever they're on the screen I feel like I'm watching reality TV. Aside from Barbie and Angie, the characters on this show are painful to watch.
Flag
Yep, that's it for me. I found a way out and I'm taking it :-)
Flag
Come on out from under that dome, plas. You can read the updates and be far more entertained than you would be by watching the show.
Flag
The dome is making the people of Chester's Mill stupider every week. Junior as a cop? If this were under regular circumstances, I doubt he'd even pass the psych exam. And I haven't read the book either, so besides 'dome possession' I'm also adding aliens to the list. Who knows, maybe they like to watch us humans from under a petri dish
Flag
The show finally got one right. Junior was made a cop in the book.
Flag
I think I'm gonna have to read the book!
Flag
I recommend it. It's way better than what you're watching.
Flag
Hahaha thanks
Flag
Unfortunately for Angie, I don't think her personal version of "The Perils of Pauline" is over yet. To me it's obvious Big Jim first will think of the impact of the situation in his own reputation and how that will attract attention to his illicit propane business, whatever the heck that might be. So, he'll probably move Angie to another prison while he decides what to do with her and his bonehead son.

One thing that really annoys me (among many) is that in the introduction they say that under the dome nobody's secrets are safe. Shouldn't they be more worried about saving their lives, not so much, their secrets?
Flag
The one thing that many people seem to be forgetting is that when you're talking about a large group of average American people is that they are stupid. Not just intellectually stupid, but also day-to-day living, basic decisions, basic logic and figuring things out kind of stupid. They don't care that there's a dome over their heads encasing their entire town because their day-to-day lives haven't been affected in a major way yet. There's no shortage of food, no shortage of cigarettes, no airborne disease making people stay indoors. Once something comes along that makes people realize how big of a deal this is that part of the show should possibly be more entertaining. Using two teenagers as a vehicle to introduce the "character" of the Dome through seizures they're not supposed to tell anyone about seems like an unwise idea. These two are not the brightest bulbs in the bunch even if they are supposed to be typical. On a related note, Tim, I do agree with you about the character of Ben and how awesome he is. Random thoughts: -If Julia is angry that Peter had gambling debts that involved Barbie, she is going to fly of the handle when she finds out he's dead; and Barbie did that too. -For some reason the Junior-Angie storyline is like a train wreck that you just can't stop watching. And now that Big Jim found Angie, the question is if he will believe that his son is mentally unstable enough to have done this or if he will find some way to explain it away. -I'm still dubious that Duke is really dead.
More+
Flag
Alice: Let me be absolutely clear: If these people leave and it spreads................... ..... ..... ..... ..... Big Jim: We're gonna make sure it doesn't. Ah, the absolute clarity of unfinished sentences. I guess she was hoping for Big Jim to interrupt her a lot sooner. I said last week that despite not liking the show much, I'd stick with it unless it became insufferable. Well, it certainly took one step closer to that. Actually, I'm probably in denial and it's already that terrible, and I'm just thinking it's not so that I'd have something to watch during the summer.
Flag
And of course, no Stephen King novel adaptation would be complete withouit a psycho holy man.
Flag
He loves his stereotypes.

His earlier novels, though heavy handed politically somehow missed having stark stereotypes for characters. But now, he just slaps some names on stock characters, writes a few thousand pages and cashes checks.
Flag
yep. Reminded me of The Rev on Haven.
Flag
Except played by a much worst actor on UtD.
Flag
totally. Stephen McHattie is amazing.
Flag
This is not a very good show at the moment but I'll keep watching because frankly some of my favorite shows had a mediocre start. The ratings are rock solid so we will most likely see more than one season thus the potential for future improvement is there. So, have patience people, don't be too harsh and let's see how the plot unfolds.
Flag
I want to stop watching it, but Rachelle Lefevre is so smokin hot I can't look away. And I keep hoping that the Big Black Mom will just haul off and cold-cock Junior; barbie could take Jr no prob, but I'd really like to see her take him out.
Flag
I don't think it's terribly bad. I just think for a summer show it's pacing is slow and draggy and too exhaustive. A lot things that are happening in episode 4 could have easily been done in 2. Plus, I don't know, small town? Impenetrable dome holding us captive? I'm sorry, but that's the first thing that would be on my mind as soon as I wake up every day. Sometimes, it doesn't seem that way with the people in Chester's Mill. But, still isn't as bad as some say the show is.
Flag
I was the first person telling everyone to "give it time" because the book was character-focused and took some time to develop. Well, I stopped watching after episode three because they took the worst of the book and they're running with it. Way to make Stephen King look succint, by comparison.
Flag
I was going to attempt to make a nice review of this show but it is beyond my ability to do so. And I once wrote a 20 page paper of the varying psychological aspects of boredom.

This show, in a word, is horrible. I mean bad. There are no, zero, zilch, nada, redeeming characters in the bunch. Not one. The only one that is half way decent is Barbie, and that for me is only because I am really hoping at some point in time he kills Junior.

Speaking of Junior. Who in their right mind would give him a shotgun or a badge for that matter. He makes a incoherent speech on cornbread to calm down the yokels and that is it. Barbie took down and then actually hunted down the Paul when he went crazy and he doesn't get a look for perhaps a badge? Come on, the Meningitis must have ha residual effects. Speaking of Meningitis, which had to have been bacterial considering they didn't mention what of the 5 types it was. Doesn't abate in an afternoon. And they are lucky that it was one of the types that actually responds to anti biotics.

Julia is dumb. I still can't get beyond the burning one match at a time in the cement factory. But to go off while having a fever and such is just dumb. And then getting mad at Barbie for not killing her is kind of silly.

Junior. Barbie needs to kill him. He is such an unbelievably bad character that it isn't even funny in a "ha, what are they doing" sense.

Angie, should be dead. The was an underground pipe that wasn't heated or even insulated. So lets be generous and say the temperature of the water is 18 or so. She with her lack of clothing and body fat would have succumbed to hypothermia within the time span of the, lets say 12 hours between her breaking the easily breakable pipe and Big Jim finding her.

Joe sitting up mid seizure and saying shush is kind of interesting. Him thinking the Dome is telling them to not tell anyone is dumb. Come On Joe, you started off so smart, I had so much hope for you. But like most of us you get around a girl that you like and our brains just go out the window. But it does show that there is more to this than a dome. And since I doubt it is a religious thing. I am voting aliens. And hopefully better aliens than Falling Skies.
More+
Flag
That was an angry - yet filled with truth - episode review. Celia Weston as the third grade teacher was bringing back some old school early '80s CBS. Nice having you around for one episode Jolene you should have gotten the antibiotics and become sheriff. That would have been awesome because Sheriff Moron isn't doing anyone any good and you worked for Mel. She keeps making Duke look like he was the worst sheriff on the planet by continually mentioning him. She gave Junior a badge without a concern in the world, she thought she was extra perceptive and smart. Poor dumb Sheriff LInda.

I think the biggest problem with adapting King for television is that his character dialogue in his books is not his strong point. A lot of it, like all of this show's dialogue, is ridiculously terrible . When you completely abandon it - like 'Haven' did resulting in a good show - you can improve the idea. He so isn't Elmore Leonard. You want King's ideas, at least the good one's, not his awful dialogue. I think this cast is a really good cast and I think there is a good story somewhere in there; but the now campy 'easily resolved problem of the week filled with just enough material to squeeze out nuggets about our characters' and ridiculous dialogue just keep the story completely covered up. Tim hit the nail on the head with the fact that these stories just aren't engaging.

I'm getting worried about the diabetic doctor. Angie's brother now invites a whole family into the house and he still doesn't really seem too concerned about where Angie is. She's been missing 48 hours and he just now asks somebody what happened to her, Of course he asks the only person who knows the answer on his first attempt, the person who has her lock up and chained to a bed in a fallout bunker because double trapped is always worse than just trapped under a dome. Dumb ass. I like how all the mob scenes resemble 'Simpsons' agitated mob scenes - doesn't someone in the writers room just say hey guys/girls maybe we're doing this too much and we should get on to someone really trying to get out of the Dome? Why didn't they add that character? All these people are acting like they were just waiting for this to happen. They should take this cast and give 'em a better show.

But now Big Jim found Angie where does this mess go from here?
More+
Flag
Was just re-reading the book.... turn to page 60 for a CBS helicopter crashing into the dome, lol... not making this up either haha
Flag
Seriously, you're the best thing that happened to his show. That and the cow. Can't get enough of her.
Tim's review is officially the only reason I'm watching!
Come on people, it was bad. Don't blame Tim for trying to at least have a little fun with it.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I think I've seen just as many good reviews from him as bad ones. If all you see are the bad ones, I guess it's because you watch all the ones that are likely crappy.
Flag
Unless it's good. You don't seem to be factoring that aspect into your arithmetic.
Flag
It really isn't that bad.
Flag
This show is just beginning to get good, from a social experiment point of view (total chaos is coming!). Only, the hand of the director was a little too heavy when the kids go «OK we won't tell because the Dome doesn't want us too» (about the video they made of their seizures). I mean if this isn't a cheap writing shortcut I dunno what it is. But whatever! I'll watch the next one for sure, prolly cuz of Ms, Lefevre's lips ;-)
Flag
What a shame, this could have been a good show. I'm just about done.
Flag
Yeaahhhhh this show is bad. I feel like its about 42 minutes worth of bad acting, followed by about a minute and a half at the end, with just enough of a reveal to make you want to see what happens next week.

I'm going to continue watching this for now, but only because it's summer and I'm almost finished binge-watching Orange is the New Black.
Flag
I mentioned this on my blog: this episode would have been awesome IF they would have had an 'outbreak' based on people's drug stash running dry.... obviously there is some type of drug related operation going on.... and obviously some of the townspeople are on them (LOL), so with the Dome coming down.... that supply/source is going to run out! And when it does, people are going to start going through withdrawals-- so instead of this outbreak idea, everyone in town who was on addictive illegal drugs would be going through these withdrawals (which I might add is also COMPLETELY REALISTIC)!!!! And without any medication and a short-staffed hospital..... this would have been beyond entertaining! They could have introduced a bunch of new characters (Carter, Georgia, Frankie, Sammy, etc) and explored the Reverend's back story at the same time so we can better understand what the hell he is doing!

P.S. Leaving out the Dinsmore story was a huge mistake. Ollie and Rory.... and the entire tragedy of this family..... this would have gotten people's attention! Plus it would have made A LOT more sense to have a curious little kid going out to shoot the Dome rather than Randolph! Terrible change.
More+
Flag
Why they didn't just use flashbacks LOST style is beyond me..... I look at a show like Orange is the New Black.... which sounded extremely boring to me when I read about it..... and same premise (they're all locked up in a prison rather than a Dome but same thing really).... and the acting and writing is just phenomenal! I've had to look up most of the cast just because of how impressed I was and how likable and interesting they all are!

I swear that Under the Dome rushed things.... they didn't go into each scene from the book and decide what to keep and what to cut..... they just made a bunch of random changes that make no sense so far! They didn't look at each character and figure out how to tell their story! How can we understand a character's actions if we don't know anything about them prior to the Dome coming down! The show lacks emotion and a connection to each character!

There is still hope though because a lot has been omitted from the book so far..... and based on the story in the book, this show had Walking Dead potential written all over it (and is it just me, or wouldn't the kid who plays Carl on Walking Dead have made a great Joe)?! If they make an entire episode strictly focusing on the Food City Riot for example (or that other major event involving the Dome in an effort to break through-- I won't say more) then it can change this show up for the better..... but they are going to need to make a significant format change (which involves character flashbacks), or this show is doomed!
More+
Flag
THE DOME IS DOOMED.
Flag
The problem is, this is what you get when you take something that should be a 6-part mini-series, and turn it into 13 hours. You get one whole episode that is basically dedicated to creating a crisis, so that Linda has a reason to make Junior a deputy, so that the Junior-deputy subplot comes back to bite everyone. And then the crisis ends.

Otherwise, you'd just have Big Jim tell Linda, "Make my son a deputy," and we'd move onto something else.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:00 pm
    The Carmichael Show President Trump
    NEW
    NBC
  • 9:00 pm
    American Ninja Warrior
    NEW
    NBC