An Under the Dome Community
Monday 10:00 PM on CBS

Season two of Under the Dome starts on June 30th, a mere 4 weeks away. If you're in need of a snarky refresher course, look no further. I recently rode this mystery-train all around Dome Town for the first time, recapping as I went. I wrote this episode by episode, with real-time reactions. As of right now, I don’t know what episode four has in store.

So, if you were groggy on cold medication when season 1 aired, or you've recently lost all your entertainment-related memories from a lightning strike (it happens), then here's what went down in episodes 1 - 3.

“Pilot”

Mystery! Death! Sexual Tension! Halved Cows! What’s not to love? The first episode was essentially a basic plot run-down and a slideshow of character introductions: their dreams, their woes, their murders.

First on the roster was a mysterious dreamboat burying someone he may or may not have killed. The fact that he was burying him in a forest instead of going to the authorities hinted that he may not be our hero.

Picture

Picture

It was established that the local law man was the coolest dude in town, and then we snuck up on a couple in the midst of some sexy times.

Picture

Picture

During this scene, I was all, “okay, here’s the adorable small town couple we’re going to root for”. Then we got a load of this face:

Picture

Nope. This is not our romantic lead, folks, just back away slowly and everything will be fine.

Then a sassy elderly woman gave a something-to-prove newspaper editor the 411 on some suspicious propane deliveries. Um, sure.

Our handsome murderer was run off the road by some mischievous cows (I bet they did that on purpose). Then there were rumblings!

Picture

Picture

Picture

He didn’t seem concerned that he was covered in cow’s blood. I definitely would’ve been searching the car for Purell or something. I guess he was distracted by by the teen audience draw:

Picture

Birds started falling from the sky and our mysterious criminal PICKED THEM UP to see their necks were broken. This guy is doing all kinds of gross stuff that no one should ever be encouraged to do. People, some advice: if birds start falling at your feet, DO NOT touch them, whether you’re trapped in a translucent dome or not.

Anyway, then a plane exploded and it was awesome. Oh, and our mysterious criminal saved the teen! Be careful, murderer, we may start to like you!

The fire trucks showed up and had to stand around watching like it was that fireplace channel on satellite TV.

We met a family passing through (fat chance!) on their way to “fix” their teenage daughter with camp. HELLO Samantha Mathis! Very pumped to see you. Anyway, their daughter collapsed.

Picture

She was mumbling some stuff, but I just assumed it was song lyrics. Probably not important.

Through a team-up of our murderer and the sassy reporter, we learned that he’s ex-military and he likes to help ladies with severed hands. So… anti-hero? They took her to the hospital to find that the doctor husband was NOT where he said he’d be. Intrigue!
Then we got a tense scene between “Big Jim” and the coolest of all the cucumbers, Sheriff Duke, which implied that these two don’t see eye to eye. Also, propane! This town has some secrets, guys.

Oh yeah, and this:

Picture

Picture

The sassy reporter invited the anti-hero to stay with her “and her husband”, and a ship was born. Then our adorable teen ALSO fell and started reciting song lyrics! Maybe it IS important!

Then Junior locked Angie in a bomb shelter, because that is a completely normal, sane thing to do.

Picture

The sassy reporter brought our anti-hero home, and showed him a picture of her husband.

Picture

Picture

That’s gonna be an awkward conversation!

In the closing moments, just as Duke was about to tell our plucky monotone Deputy all the secrets, his pacemaker exploded! I can only assume that means he’s dead, but I can still hope not. I can’t recall a time when I’ve liked a character as instantly as I fell for Sheriff Duke.

"The Fire"

Oh look, the husband DID come back in a flashback! Looks like he owed money to some bad people, and interestingly, he’d still be alive if he hadn’t pulled a gun on our anti-hero.

Picture

We checked in on Angie in the bomb shelter, and she was not having a great time.

Picture

Picture

She lied about having tons of sexy times with our anti-hero in the hopes that Junior would come to his senses, but it seemed to have the opposite effect. He believes the dome took away her love for him, because I guess he’s the creepiest dude in existence.
Meanwhile, in the morgue…

Picture

Picture

Big Jim had a bit of a kerfuffle with the mortician / reverend / tweaker about using the merchandise, and the corrupted intrigue deepened. “The only reason we got into this in the first place was to save the town.” Ohhhhhhh, got into what, Big Jim? Got into WHAT?
Elsewhere, the teen heartthrob was doing some math.

Picture

Picture

Picture

This kid’s obvious man-crush on our anti-hero is adorable.

The reporter with moxy (Her name is Julia, I’ve learned) used her unparalleled powers of deduction to suss out that the military is using radios, so she hightailed it to the radio station and discovered the trendy radio chick is also very brainy. Do you think Dodee goes for coffee with our teen heart throb to talk about how dumb everyone else is?

Then Julia spilled all the beans.

Picture

And they did, including one of Domeville’s finest.

Our resident smart kid figured out the dome is like a siv for water, which could be important later. It bugs me that no one will acknowledge them at all. Like, wouldn’t those people want to know if that kid’s hand is wet?

Picture

Julia and team-radio heard that the military isn’t responsible for the dome and the music got really ominous. Okay!

Our anti-hero went searching for his incriminating dog tags, and look who followed him:

Picture

Picture

They had a kerfuffle and our anti-hero won… obviously.

The nefarious reverend went to Duke’s house and started trashing the place like a rock star in a hotel, then accidentally set the place on fire. Instead of escaping, he somehow backed himself into a corner. It was the most effective anti-drug ad I've ever seen.

Picture

The ‘cops’ (LOL) heard about the fire and raced over. Big Jim was already there, blatantly ignoring the screams of his comrade. That’s cold, Big Jim. At this point we were all suspending our disbelief by miles, because in real life anyone stuck in a fire for that long would be suuuuuuper dead by now. But this is TV!

Our anti-hero organized a bucket-line that did eff all, while the sexy deputy ran in and saved the reverend (totally believable).

Then Big Jim saved the day!

Picture

Of course, then the dumb-dumb cop starting shooting at the dome, which ricocheted right through Freddie! (Who, you ask? We met him at the start of the episode, so obviously we were very emotionally invested in his well-being.)

Man, oh man, you guys. This show is a wacka-do roller coaster of weirdos, and I'm starting to suspect that will be 80% of the fun.

"Manhunt"

Picture

Picture

This episode began fresh off the heals of Freddie’s death (RIP no one's favourite character), of which the crazy-face cop was taking zero responsibility, instead blaming the dome. Which I guess fair enough, he maybe shouldn’t have opened fire at the dome, but it’s not like he aimed for Freddie.

Picture

Picture

Cute.

Paul the bat-shit cop tricked Linda into opening the cell, then he beat her up and locked her in, which is a great way to prove your sanity.

Picture

Big Jim had a chat with Junior about “being a man”, and we got a glimpse into why Junior is a complete wacka-do. “Nine years your mother’s been dead, and you’re still hiding behind her skirt.” Yikes, Big Jim, chill out.

Picture

Not one person has noticed Angie is missing. That’s really, very sad. For some reason she convinced Junior to go hunting for a way out of the dome using the dangerous tunnels. I’m not sure what her endgame was. Did she want Junior to get hurt? Wouldn’t she then be stuck in a bomb shelter where no one knows she is? You know what, who am I to question this girl’s plans? I’ve only been chained up in a bomb shelter a few times, and it was never because a dude loved me too much.

In the diner, Carolyn didn’t know Norie was shacked up with Joe, so she was understandably worried.

Picture

I suppose it was a bit too much to hope the show would skip the whole “small towns are afraid of gays” stereotype. Moving on.

Big Jim convinced our anti-hero to go with him to track down Paul. Considering Big Jim thinks Barbie beat up his son for no reason, this could only end one of two ways: a kerfuffle or an intense monologue about football.

I love that Big Jim asked for “all able bodied men” to help with the search for an extremely dangerous and looney-tunes ex-marine, and he settled for Barbie and two old dudes.

Julia followed Junior through the tunnels, which was a very good idea, just grade A judgement right there. I guess in her defense she didn’t know he’s a wack-job. I think she does now, though!

Picture

Picture

He also convinced her that Barbie beat him up for no reason. It’s amazing how this show is making me feel defensive of Barbie’s reputation, when he is literally a murderer.

Picture

Picture

Haha, our poor anti-hero is catching crazy from all angles! Anyway, then shit went down and Linda showed up and took care of business.

Afterwards we got a superbly tense and awkward moment when Julia dropped off Junior, and his dad was just shooting the shit with Barbie.

Picture

Picture

I really think a trained professional could do wonders with that family dynamic.
Speaking of, Carolyn tracked down Norie, and was NOT pleased that she was lying about her parentage. I don’t blame her. We are past that, people!! Anyway, then this happened:

Picture

I guess “pink stars are falling”, and someone out there wants us to know.

Picture

Picture

Julia went through Barbie’s bag and now she knows stuff! I wonder what she’ll do. Do you think she’ll barge in on him in the shower? Not that I… want to… I mean if that happened… shut up!

Well, I'm still on board after three episodes. There are so many stars! This cast is a directors wet dream, I assume. The (main) characters are fleshing out nicely, but I worry about the supporting fringe characters. There are a lot of stereotypes going on in Dome Town, and they are very one-dimensional. Like, maybe even .5 dimensional. BUT, the main characters live in the grey, and I'm all about that. Sometimes I'm like, "awww", and then other times I'm all, "nope." You feel me.

The mystery is still mysterious, so well done. I'm liking the cool imagry, and the music is just grade A+ creep-o-rama.

I’m already bored with the propane storyline, so I hope that ends soon. You bought a bunch of gas for possible nefarious purposes? Meh.

VERDICT - Do I want to know what happens next? Yes. That is the only question that matters.

I’m in.

See you guys next week for episodes 4 - 6! I hope none of you gets stuck in a giant translucent dome in the meantime. (Oh shit... did I just jinx it?)

Later Gators!

9 Comments
Follow this Show
Members