An Under the Dome Community
CBS (ended 2015)

Under the Dome S02E08: "Awakening"

Hello, Dome-rs! Dome-igos. Dome... fans? Sorry, I lost some steam on that last one, much like Under the Dome! Hahaha, SEE WHAT I DID THERE? Though to be fair, "Awakening" was less of a dud than last week's spelunking adventure to Zenith, and we learned quite a few things, including that Dean Norris misses Breaking Bad so much that he convinced the Under the Dome writers to give him a gun and a badge! And for his first day as the sheriff of Chester's Mill, he even wore a purple shirt, in honor of Marie. So sweet. 

Let's see, what else did we find out this week? Well, for one thing, Joe's email address is ScarecrowJoe@TechSlop.com, which is just all kinds of fun if a bit (okay, a lot) stupid. But that's not all! And since Tim is still on his Dome-cation (he'll be back next week, thank the Dome), it's up to me and Jen to make sense of the madness. Are you ready? Because it's time to go back UNDER THE DOME...

KAITLIN: I am a bit uncomfortable with how much Dome Knowledge I have acquired in just two episodes. I think I'm getting sucked in by the absolute absurdity of this show. Like, it actually makes complete sense to me that the answer for what's supposed to happen next in/on/around/near the Dome is "in the cards," because OF COURSE IT IS. The postcards Pauline sent Lyle are full of magic, and now that they've revealed the red door to Sam, Pauline, and Lyle (who seems to have fully recovered from his bout of crazy) are going to be searching for it, even though they don't really know what it means. I hope there's a montage next week of them opening every red door they come across, because that could be fun.

JEN: It was only matter of time before you converted to Domism, Kaitlin! And yeah, that serum or whatever experimental and super-convenient fix-all medicine that Pauline and Sam stole and injected into Lyle's arm really worked wonders (as did their brilliant plan to snag it from a locked room with the ol' "someone's having a seizure!" trick). Talk about a stalling storyline, though: After we saw Pauline's painting of a red door and then the red door itself in last week's episode, all that really happened this week with the Pauline-Sam-Lyle cohort was that THEY realized they should be looking for a red door, because there was red door on the last postcard that Pauline tried to send to Lyle before the Dome came down. Big whoop. 

But on that note, here's a question I have about Pauline: Now that I realize that she's an employee at the psychiatric hospital and not a patient, and even though she's not obviously crazy (even though she's quite sensitive about the word), I want to know when we're going to get a little more insight into where her "premonitions" are coming from. Isn't she herself curious about why her journaling and her painting and her postcard-making can predict the future, so to speak? Has that ever been touched on in a way that goes beyond, "Oh yeah, Big Jim's wife was a rambling, paintbrush-wielding nutcase... OR WAS SHE?"

Regardless: The search for the red door is on like Dome-key Kong! (Personally, after all of Under the Dome's shilling for Microsoft Surface, I kind of want the red door to turn out to be product placement for Elizabeth Arden.) 

KAITLIN: Ah, yes. Red Door, what a lovely scent. But for some reason, I imagine it's what Julia would wear, and I wouldn't put it past this show to make that connection. I mean, if Barbie can cling to the underside of a truck for up to "16 klicks" between a security checkpoint and the Dome, anything is possible! I looked up that distance by the way, and 16 klicks (a.k.a. 16 kilometers in military speak) is almost 10 miles! Even if he didn't ride the whole way, that's crazy! Barbie's buff, but as far as I can tell, he is not part gorilla. Maybe the Dome gave him super strength? It did bring Melanie back from the dead and dig a huge tunnel, so I suppose it could probably turn Barbie into a superhero, too? (Oh God, CBS, if you're reading this, please do not try to turn Barbie into a superhero.)

Speaking of Barbie, what is up with his dad? His company, Aktaion Energy, is involved with the Dome as a government contractor, and the big reveal this week was that he both knows about and wants that stupid freaking egg. What do you think he wants it for? To help him rule all of Metropolis? (Shit, I need to stop making superhero references.)

JEN: DOMESPIRACY! I can't even guess as to why Mr. Barbie wants the damn egg, but he's clearly up to no good. Geez, he is such a vague and boring villain, what with all his high-ranking "friends" and his highly profitable Dome wifi and his one-man Geek Squad in Hunter, Under the Dome's latest new character. Hunter is on Mr. Barbie's payroll, but one thing you have to know, Kaitlin, is that he's a hacker of the people—and he's dying to blow the lid off whatever DOMESPIRACY is currently underway (have you checked out his website yet?). That's why he helped Barbie snoop around Mr. Barbie's files, which is how Barbie started to learn the "truth" about his dear old dad. I think their exchange at the start of Babie's little break-in—"Hey if this is a set-up, you're going to have a hell of a time picking up your teeth with broken fingers!" "I get it, you're tough, just get to his computer and put in the jump drive!"—was possibly my favorite conversation of the episode. 

That led to one of the hour's more painful scenes, where Barbie bought himself and Hunter some time while talking gibberish about a photo of his mom, and his dad believed—or pretended to believe—him. But the scene was important because it put Barbie on his path toward the Dome, and thanks to his coded email to Julia ("wrong place, wrong time, wrong weather"!), she was right there waiting for him when he finally arrived. I have to say, Julia yelling at the Dome before Barbie showed up wasn't as good as her "NOOOOOOOOOO!" when he went over the cliff last week, but it was still some very fine acting. 

KATILIN: That fine acting might just be what brought Big Jim out to the Dome to see what she was up to. You know, after he escaped from DJ Phil (who lives!) with the help of Junior and Rebecca the Science Teacher. I find it a little ridiculous that both Junior and Rebecca the Science Teacher would be so quick to join up with Big Jim after all the crazy shit he's been spouting lately. When Rebecca asked him, "Who do you think could be mad at you?" and Junior said, "This could take a while," I couldn't help but laugh. He still thinks the Dome is trying to send him messages, and this week, his evidence was that someone destroyed his carefully crafted windmill and strategically lit a car on fire underneath a billboard with his face on it. He acts like he's the first person that's ever happened to, but if I had a nickel for every time someone ruined one of my windmills or lit my car on fire because they disliked one of my TV reviews, I'd be a millionaire. So stop playing, Big Jim, because no one cares about you that much. 

I mean, even Junior and Rebecca the Science teacher thought he was being silly! It was pretty hilarious to see them take down Jim's "someone's out to get me" claims with "You sold two thirds of the cars in town!" and "Technically, two events are a coincidence, it takes three to make a pattern." Maybe they're starting to understand how we feel when we tune in every week! 

JEN: We can only hope so (I wouldn't count on it). Either way, "Awakening" left us with Barbie in custody, Lyle and Sam and Pauline on the hunt for the red door, Big Jim and Junior and Rebecca the Science Teacher on the same team again, DJ Phil drunk and in a holding cell, and Julia screaming at the Dome. Now let's hear your theories about what's next and why Mr. Barbie wants the egg!

ADDEN-DOMES

– During Barbie's voiceover in the opening sequence, he said that the Dome came down "a few weeks ago" instead of "two weeks ago." Progress?

– More and more, Under the Dome's characters are referring to the Dome without a "the"—like when Rebecca the Science Teacher expressed concern over Big Jim's donning of the sheriff's star with "Dome hasn't treated those who wear it too kindly."

– Barbie can write really fast! Could YOU scrawl out "Julia – I love You / We'll see each other soon. / All it takes is a leap of faith / ScarecrowJoe@TechSlop.com" as fast as he did?

– Another "maybe they're speaking for the audience" moment: 

Junior: "You're joking." 
Big Jim: "If I was joking, one of us would be laughing."

– LOL remember how, in the Season 2 premiere, the Dome was magnetic and Officer Linda DIED because the magnetism pinned her between a car and the Dome? But now it's just a dry-erase board. That Dome sure is fickle when it needs to serve a storyline, isn't it?

– Not only can Barbie write quickly, he is super skilled at writing backwards while panicking!!

– Was anyone else hoping, when Julia and Barbie started running toward each other on opposite sides of the Dome, that one or both of them would smash into it like a pigeon into a window?

– Earlier in the episode, when Barbie ordered Hunter to help him get to the Dome, Hunter was taken aback, exclaiming, "The place where the National Guard shoots trespassers on sight?" But at the end of the episode, when Barbie got caught, all they did was stuff him in a SUV and haul him away. Dang. 

– Now that Big Jim has handed out a bunch of walkie talkies to various Chester's Mill residents, Under the Dome's writers and stage far-off emergencies whenever they want!

– "The egg showed us Zenith last night. Maybe that's where the cliff leads." Joe is seeming a little too smart these days in terms of guessing at how everything is connected with not-great evidence as to why. It's almost like he's just reading bullet points from the writers' storyboards.   

– "Julia, hang in there. Whenever you get scared, just remember the first time we kissed at the Dome, by Joe's house, at sunset, stars coming out. I can't wait to hold you there again. Love, Your Stray." Ewwwww Barbie! Gross!

– Aww, poor Tom had to trade his mother's heirloom quilts for food to feed his kids! But doesn't the diner have an endless supply thanks to that lady's dead hoarder husband?

– We hope that CBS eventually finds away to do crossover episodes between Under the Dome and its upcoming computer dramas Scorpion and CSI: Cyber. Maybe the CSI: Cyber team can go after Hunter and the Scorpion dudes, who are probably good friends of his, will help him out? 

– When Junior, Big Jim, and Rebecca the Science Teacher responded to the car fire, Junior suggested it was the work of someone on "a vandalism spree." What if it was the same people who DJ Phil recently caught defacing the bridge? (It sure doesn't look like they're in jail.)

– Joe is a super annoying vlogger.

– "These postcards don't really tell us anything we don't know." Gee, thanks Lyle. Just like most of what's happened on Under the Dome lately!

– "I think that door could be a way back in," Pauline said in the promo for next week episode. Just like we've assumed since we first saw the thing!

– Another week with no Ben. As one of you suggested in last week's comments, we can only assume that he's on Dome-cation with Tim. 

– Speaking of Tim, thanks for reading, everyone! He'll be back for next week's episode!

– @thegroovologist is already a frontrunner for winning the comments this week (with a hat tip to @docspector for predicting such a moment last week!):

What'd you think of "Awakening"?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 9/10/2015

Season 3 : Episode 13

310 Comments
Comments (310)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Funny review. I think you guys should stay and join Tim for the review.

300+ comments this week. This show is as popular here on TV.com as GOT and TWD !

I am actually more intrigue with the stories outside the dome than under the dome. I do hope Barbie stays outside the dome till end of the season at least and give us more domespiracy.

Hey the hounds of diana website is cool.

@thekaitling . I have a question.

Was it done by the writers?

Flag
Kings next novel should be about a parallel universe where HBO made Under The Dome and it wins ten Emmys a year.
Flag
Y'know how it seems like you just can't say enough bad things about UTD, but by the end of the week you're jonesin for a fresh episode to hate on? Well, if you just have to have a dome-like series to tide you over, let me heartilly recommend Gang Related. I swear the production teams, and actors must have gone to the same college. Just not sure if it was clown or barber.
Flag
Help!!! i am getting dommified
Flag
Why barbie is telling julia that it's not safe outside the dome ? what the hell does that mean ? all we know is that barbie's dad wants the egg , but other than that it looks pretty safe , lyle is free , sam is free , pauline is free , barbie is free , so if julia was going to zenith I don't see what would be the problem ...
The dome people were important inside the dome , but once they are outside I don't see who would care about them.

t reminds me Prison Break , because I was enjoying the first season , and once they were outside the prison it was completely stupid ...
some shows are not made for multiple seasons , one very good season would be enough.
A lot of english tv shows are good because they have a small number of episodes , one of my favorite was Life on mars , 16 episodes and it was great , and the show was popular so they made a spin off called ashes to ashes and it was great too.

I was all in for a third season of under the dome , but now after 9 episodes I don't really know what they can do in a third season , and I think it might become too boring to be enjoyable.
More+
Flag
tim better be back next week
Flag
As someone who really enjoyed the book, it's too bad this show is a total mockery. Most movie and t.v show adaptations of Stephen King's novels have been somewhat cheesy, and that's ok with me, but UTD is just ridiculous.
Flag
So yesterday we found supplies in this deus ex machina survivalists house to feed the entire town for decades and today we're trading our heirloom quilts for food? Riiiight. And don't even get me started about the magic experimental medicine that cured Lyle.

Best thing for me was the CBS website skipping all but one commercial breaks. Probably hounds of Diana hacking the stream...

The episode was annoying. I hope the writers get fired for delivering such BS.
How lame was Junior saying he'd "show Big Jim the ropes" when he's gotten his badge, like, a week ago, at most?

Joe and Norrie do this vlog and the authors make it seem highly unlikely that the characters would do this by having them explain why it's not highly unlikely that they'd do it...

There has to be a handbook the writers use. Or why do we always get scenes like this:
Character 1 has some dumb theory on why some stupid thing happened.
Character 2 (mirroring the audience's reaction) says that makes no sense.
Character 1 sees his error and the scene ends with a very convinced: "But it has to mean something."

Flag
Forgetting Julia hanging in there what about the audience watching this tripe this now gone into conspiracy theories like Lost on a acid trip. A show where people in Mental institutions can inject patients with miracle drugs (Sam) also where computer geeks aren't watched over while they assist cohorts .

Not forgetting Phil who not unless he come from Marvel AGOS or he a demon from Supernatural has miraculous healing abilities . Enough ranting I am thinking too much my brain already fried think stupid must remember. I am not sure weather this is anymore dumb then Falling skies but its close.

Looking forward to next episode when Julia and the merry band get together and build a wicker Man and stick Big Jim , rebecca and DJ Phil as a Sacrifice to mighty dome where Nic Cage goes arrgghh the bees LOL
Flag
I'm just saying Barbie looks mighty fine in fake glasses.
Flag
Actually, he is an actor who surprisingly have worn almost anything and still looked the same.

Mike doctor

Mike surgeon

Mike in uniform
Mike captain

Mike motorcyclist

Mike paramedic
Mike officer

Mike skateboarder

Mike high school student
Flag
Holy crap he's a ken doll he's perfect
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
My theory on Pauline and all the future painting she's done is related to when she and her friends found the meteorite/egg 25 years ago. She was supposedly screaming about how the egg sound was hurting her head, which is why Lyle killed Melanie to stop it. Maybe some kind of alien download and potentially interrupted at that.
Flag
I liked the last part where it started with muted "I miss you"s and then switched to audio on their sides. It looks simple but was a great sequence.
Flag
So, Haven had a door, and a dome (okay, a snow globe) and a butterfly and was loosely based on a Stephen King novel....I am starting to see a pattern here!
Flag
According to "Grave Encounters 2," the red door is a portal that apparently leads to southern California, so I say go for it... f*ck Chester's Mill lol.
Flag
– LOL remember how, in the Season 2 premiere, the Dome was magnetic and Officer Linda DIED because the magnetism pinned her between a car and the Dome? Doesn't matter, because Julia didn't have any trouble driving right up to it this week! That Dome sure is fickle when it needs to serve a storyline, isn't it?

Ehm... The Dome stopped being magnetic at the very same episode it became magnetic. Why should Julia have any trouble with driving near it?
Flag
Staff
Ah, yes, you're right... only for one episode, just like every other problem on this show. ;)
Flag
Haha! :D
Flag
– "Julia, hang in there. Whenever you get scared, just remember the first time we kissed at the Dome, by Joe's house, at sunset, stars coming out. I can't wait to hold you there again. Love, Your Stray." Ewwwww Barbie! Gross!

and he had to dictate that in front of his dad to geek boy

Flag
And yet he was unable to get geekboy to send "Don't jump!" while he used his ex-forces skills to keep his dad from interfering. Too simple?
Flag
I thought it was sweet then I again I have a major tv crush on Barbie and would love for him to write to me
Flag
hopefully all those people have chargers for their walkie-talkies

Flag
– LOL remember how, in the Season 2 premiere, the Dome was magnetic and Officer Linda DIED because the magnetism pinned her between a car and the Dome? Doesn't matter, because Julia didn't have any trouble driving right up to it this week! That Dome sure is fickle when it needs to serve a storyline, isn't it?

r
eally glad tim is coming back. he wouldnt have made this dumb comment

Flag
That's mean and uncalled for...I think this recap is funny.
Flag
Staff
Ah, yes, you're right... only for one episode, just like every other problem on this show.

Wouldn't've been any harm in being more polite about it, though.
Flag
Staff
I'm really glad Tim is coming back too!
Flag
she said she had only watched 2 episodes.... give her a break. I though was pretty funny recap
Flag
i know i know, but i'm still glad he's coming back
Flag
Junior was funny with his "thins could take a while" & "not everythings about you dad" hah

Flag
the funniest part of the ep was Julia yelling at the dome. hah hilarious. she does a fine ass in those tight jeans though.

since angie was killed she's the only eye-candy left

Flag
I'm right there with you on Julia's jeans
Flag
so glad Tim is back next episode
Flag
Third screen grab needs a caption. Something like, "Oh, yeah, just like that!"
Flag
Welcome to Domeback Mountain.
Flag
also why did big jim decide to go try and find Julia. he looked up at the night sky & was like yeah i have to go look for julia since she'll probably still be near Joes house where she told me she was going hours ago. ugh!

Flag
I dunno, maybe he saw a military helicopter flying by, which actually did, and thought "hey wait a minute" Ding Light Bulb.
Flag
i knew he saw a heli in the sky, but really not sure how he would jump to the conclusion that it had anything at all to do with Julia.

i guess i really shouldnt ask WHY anymore with this show. ha
Flag
I guess they don't see many helicopters fly above dome so, sinister as he is, deduced that something's going on outside. If you throw in the unverified fact that they kinda know military's no-man zone around dome would make him think "there's someone outside dome"
Flag
yeah i thought it was hilarious that barbie could hang on a truck for 16 miles and that the kids wondered why barbie was being so "mysterious" with his "code" to julia on where & when to meet. when the code really wasnt that hard to break?
Flag
and that in such a high security area, nobody saw him go under the truck in the first place!
Flag
I can't help but wonder how could Hunter find Barbie just watching a CCTV camera on the street? Did he happen to be watching the broadcast of that camera on that very second? Also, if he works for a private company, how come he has access to the CCTV cameras everywhere in town?
Flag
I can't believe I'm syaing this, but I was okay with this episode, didn't find it too hilarious. Am I getting used to bad TV? D:
Flag
No, I think the last two episodes were OK too. Maybe because, regardless the writing, the show at least seems to have a direction now. I don't know...
Flag
Yes, I thought the last two episodes were okay too. XD Oh well, at least it's never boring...
Flag
Maybe its time to ask your doctor if Plotholeadol may be right for you.
Flag
""The egg showed us Zenith last night. Maybe that's where the cliff leads." Joe is seeming a little too smart these days in terms of guessing at how everything is connected with not-great evidence as to why. It's almost like he's just reading bullet points from the writers' storyboards."

Well, in season 1 the kids declared Julia "The Monarch" because a butterfly came to her. Also, they wanted to murder Big Jim just because they saw a dome-vatar of him dying. So all in all I'd say they dialed it down a bit (unfortunately, if you ask me).
Flag
I think the magnetized dome was only magnetized for that one episode for the sake of dome-of-the-week troubles (like the storm, caterpillar etc.), and of course it was also for the sake of killing officer Linda. So I'm cool with the fact that now it's not.

**The Dome should take the The Ice Bucket Challange :)
Flag
Staff
Ah, yes, you're right... the Dome was only magnetic for one episode, to serve that specific storyline... just like every other problem on this show!
Flag
Exactly! :)
It's part of it's dumb.
Flag

People are camping here outside the dome , the military is okay with that apparently , and it's really funny to see that they are protesting when Barbie is passing in front of them , like he's responsible or something ...
the messages on the protestors cards are really not that interesting either , one guy talks about Dometruth on twitter , one girl is asking some help for Bonnie Clayton , never heard about bonnie clayton but she is under the dome I guess ...
a guy have a sign " If you were left to die , would you expect us to care ? " , I don't really see the point of protesting like that but it was funny to watch it.

When barbie arrives at the second checkpoint , there is a sign " Dome 2km " , I am french so I know what a km is , but why the military are talking in km ? why are the signs in km ?
Flag
2 km = 2 klicks. So Barbier DID hang on to that truck for 16 km... Impressive!
Flag
The "if you were left to die" sign has too many words and the red and black words are hard to read. That guys fails protesting forever.
Flag
NATO, mon ami. The US military always uses km for navigation because in case of WW3, we would have all been using the same maps.
Flag
The US military is fully SI/metric, like all civilized peoples. They even do dates day-first.
Flag
Ok , I didn't know that , I have actually learn something because of this show , it's unbelievable.
Flag
Haha, you want to see how much I learned about the American military using metric, scroll down and see my silly Canadian comment about it! I learned alot too!
Flag
Purely accidental. As a child I learned that salacilic acid was asperin from Gilligan's Island. That's what we old people used for stupid TV back in the 1970s when there was none of this fancy "Dome" busines you kids got today.
Flag
OMG Gilligan's Island! That's what this show is missing: a laugh track / canned laughter!
(p.s. After-school reruns in the '70s ftw.)
Flag
this show is still funny every week but something changed a little , The first episode of season 2 was amazing and my personal favorite , but now it's really not the same , I still like it a lot but now we are outside the dome very often and it's different , some new characters are coming , some new plot , a huge conspiracy ...

I don't really understand what this show is , because in season one it was about aliens that wanted to communicate with humans , after that we learned that the dome was here because of a meteorite , and now we are talking about a conspiracy with a big company and barbie's dad , a red door in the middle of the woods ...
I mean it's such a mess that nothing is coherent anymore , it's still funny to watch those characters but it's really hard to care about the show now.

that picture of Big Jim on the billboard is my highlight of this episode , that face is so good , this guy really looks like a car salesman , a politician , someone who can lie to people all the time.

And I loved to see Barbie writing on the Dome , it was really stupid !! sometimes I wish we could see the writers when they are working
More+
Flag
It's not a bad Drama, it's a good Soap Opera.
Flag
Kaitlin, welcome to the cult of Domism. You are now required to wear a giant helmet on your head at all times. It identifies you as part of the group and protects your head when you bang it against a wall while watching this show.
Flag
Didn't the Dome stop being magnetic when Julia saved Jim's life?
Flag
Staff
Basically I'm learning that, 9 times out of 10, anything I might remember from a previous episode is already over/gone/done with, because events like Magnet Dome and killer butterflies only last for one episode, when they need to serve a very specific story.
Flag
Wait wait! The red door must lead, dome-logically, to a red room. Red room, redrum. That's what Danny was trying to......... Oops, my bad.
Flag
I hope Dean Norris is acting like a jerk on purpose, because his caharacter is more and more ridiculous.
Flag
here's how to not paint a door on a post card...leave out the handle
Flag
Also, about #DomeLogic (Excuse the oxymoron) ..
Why would Barbie tell Julia that it's not safe outside?
All he knows is that his father wants the egg.. so once everyone is out, and the egg remains inside, there is not much anyone can do..
Flag
I was going to write a looong comment about how stupid dome logic is, with the new drug, the ability to find it in a second, and to know the exact dosage.. but I read another comment that said that no matter how stupid the plan sounds, it is going to work (even outside the dome, it seems).
I think that is the best way to put it..
Just to give some examples:
  • Red Killing Rain? Let's throw some clean water into the lake -- solved
  • Food problem? old lady has an infinite amount of food stored -- solved
  • Sandstorm that doesn't let you breath? let's build a windmill! -- but how?
  • Let's use this pre-constructed windmill -- ok? but how do we do that?
  • Just pull a couple of ropes.. it will put itself into place.. It doesn't need any security mechanism, or soldering or anything --solved
Flag
it's like a modern day romeo and juliet (julia?)!

Flag
LOL!!!!!!!
Flag
Staff
Could you please offer Pauline some art lessons?
Flag
And last week, wasn't she TEACHING art to the people in the psych ward? When the doctors see the pages of lame "artwork" in the patients room, they'll think "look at these crappy paintings these crazy people did. No adult in their right mind would create such crummy, childish paintings" when in reality they were exactly like what Pauline taught them...hahaha!
Flag
Let's see...

It was 16 klicks to the dome, not to where they drove to. He still had to get to the dome.

The dome was magnetic only for a while, not forever once it happened.

Ya know, I was going to go through and correct more of the errors in this review but it's pointless. I don't even know why I bother reading these anymore, the people reviewing the show obviously don't like it. That's one of the major issues with this site, the people that review a lot of the shows don't like the shows that they are reviewing so all they do is bash them.

Maybe get someone that's actually unbiased to review the shows. Or even someone that likes the show but can still point out it's issues. Instead of people that think they're funny bashing a show.

And to all those commenting about how horrible the show is, how god-awful it is, stop watching it! Seriously, do yourselves a favor and stop watching a show you hate so much.
Flag
You don't seem to understand that we watch it BECAUSE it's bad. And if we didn't watch it you wouldn't have gotten a season 2.
Flag
Call me a jerk if you want, but I don't watch the the show at all; I'm here just for the fun that is the reviews and comments.
Flag
Staff
I don't hate this show and I don't hate any of the shows I cover for TV.com. I can't speak for Tim, who usually reviews Under the Dome, but I don't think he hates it either.

But if a show is bad, I'm going to call it bad. UTD is downright absurd, from the dialogue to the story. I'm not going to say it's good when it's not. But I don't hate it.
Flag
This show is a corker and its no accident, its written,produced and acted with enough sincerity to keep you on the edge of wondering are they playing us or not. This show is designed to be bad and its made this way so that everyone can't but help talking about it and its working there ratings are pretty good, there not as stupid as you think.
Flag
The problem is, if you take an unbiased person, and make them watch this show, they won't be unbiased any more.
Flag
"I am a bit uncomfortable with how much Dome Knowledge I have acquired in just two episodes. I think I'm getting sucked in by the absolute absurdity of this show."

Welcome to the club...that's how it starts
Flag
There's still time to save yourself--but only if stop NOW!
Flag
i was right the dj turned police guy lost all the stupid when he got shot but he decided to take on big jim alone and whilst drunk and suddenly jnr and the teacher come in and save big jim.... did i miss something ? both jnr and the teacher know big jim is bad news.... wtf..
Flag
Barbie fell a much shorter distance than Sam (and Lyle, presumably). Does that mean that they hit the ground at a much higher speed than him? That could perhaps explain Lyle's condition...but not really.

It was pretty weird that he encouraged Julia to jump, without proving his identity, without telling her to climb down a bit and then jump, and without providing something soft for her to land on.
Flag
now that you brought it up, ive always thought that no matter the distance that they jump in the dome, it would be the same in Zenith.. like the invisible portal is maybe 3meters from the ground and all 3 fell from that same 3 meters..
Flag
Lyle went in head-first, Sam went in feet-first, and Barbie went in horizontal.
Flag
But enough about the four way with Julia.
Flag
Why didn't barbie just use Shumway code to tell her what he tried to write on the dome? It would have saved 20 minutes of our lives and barbie's dome-like biceps. I am glad DJ Phil the ex sheriff and now drunk vandal (it was him all along domefacing the bridge!) is safely incarcerated but he is sure to endure another twist soon, my money is on Ben the Stoner springing him so they can go and join the vandals living under the bridge and reminisce on life before the inescapable dome became escapable and Big Jim started giving out walkie talkies.
Flag
Please tell me you registered on to this site only to comment on this show! Mad respect.
Flag
Yes it's true:-)
Flag
Why bother with "not safe out here"? Surely "don't j(ump)" would have covered that? Maybe with some !!!!!!11 action at the end for emphasis?
Flag
Staff
Your user name is most excellent, sir.

+1 for "domefacing"

Flag
I see a red door; I must have it painted black.

Flag
Very possible we could hear some of that next week. Stephen King included it in his Dark Tower series, and it would fit. Great song, and the primary reason I thought Stir of Echoes was a good movie.
Flag
Not to show off or anything, but I predicted a "not penny's boat" moment LAST WEEK.
Flag
Staff
Yeah you did!
Credit is due!
Now when ca we expect the polar bear?
Flag
Staff
*can
Flag
No. No crossover with Scorpion. I've seen the pilot and it's good, it has potential. I do not want it to be ruined by the Dome. I'm more than happy for it to crossover with that sorry looking excuse for a CSI. Maybe even NCIS New Orleans. But not Scorpion.
Flag
Speaking of Linda's death... there hasn't yet been a scene since that's made me laugh so hard or applaud so loudly. Some should've gif'd that scene...

It look Barbie a really long time to go, what, like 1 mile? after he got off the truck it was bright out and then he didn't get to the dome until it was pitch black out. But Big Jim made it from the center of the town all the way to Joe's house in like 30 seconds.
Flag
He said at night when the stars are out. That was a time to meet him, and probably a better time to not be seen. Even though he did set off the alarm during day light, I don't get why they didn't catch him sooner. Last, we don't know how far he traveled, the truck stopped before it made it to the dome as well as probably not where he needed to go...it may have been a different side of town.
Flag
Jen, I hate to apply any story consistency to the show, but as a result of the (spoiler) alien asteroid landing back in 1987 Pauline went kind of nuts and was crazy painting since then. I actually keep waiting for something similar to happen to one of our four hands. Just like Melanie became obsessively caring about the egg (and she was totally chill about that and not having it in her custody, huh...and how come she had to explain the point of Barbie's message to Joe when I think we went over that at the cliff).
Flag
Staff
Ahhh... and this was the asteroid that birthed the egg that made Pauline start her crazy painting?
Flag
"Ahhh... and this was the asteroid that birthed the egg that made Pauline start her crazy painting?"

This show is great, if only because we get to read this kind of things.
Flag
Yes and I wish there were an appropriate emoticon to demonstrate the shame with which I admit any of this. Just reddened cheeks is not sufficient. I think this show has made me stupider.
Flag
Staff
We're all in this together, no worries. What's Pauline's understanding of the causation re: asteroid arrival = crazy painting? Does she know that's what caused her to start painting? Or do just we know that. This part of the series is definitely a blind spot for me... I'm guessing it was sometime in the second half of Season 1?
Flag
All Season 1 did for those of us familiar with the source material were like...where is the alien?

I don't know, I think she has said that since the night of the asteroid, she has known the dome was coming and she thought it was attached to her and she was predicting the omens of it. Oh wait season 1, we learn that Pauline was crazy and killed herself but Junior might have thought she killed herself to get away from Jim (perfectly reasonable) and there was this whole battle over access to a well...I think...and the guy who was against Jim also a bad dude had briefly turned Junior against his father. I think we were all just writing up our lists of what an idiot Linda was a sheriff at the time. But that was when the pink stars had been spoken about by an unconscious Joe and Norrie but then Junior and/or Angie found his mother's paiintings which showed the pink stars (and looked like it was done by an eight year old).
Flag
Likely Barbies dad wants the whole four of the hands. It seems that the energy company wants the energy of the egg. Free, seemingly endless energy that they can control and charge for. But he is going to need the four that can activate it.

But it is still way way too stupid to continue.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:00 pm
    500 Questions
    NEW
    ABC