An Under the Dome Community
CBS (ended 2015)

Under the Dome S01E11: "Speak of the Devil"

It took Big Jim nine-ish days of being trapped under a dome to declare a State of Emergency in Chester's Mill, which is probably the slowest reaction by a public official in the history of emergency states. (Feel free to come up with your own Leno-ish Big Jim would fit right in in Congress joke, because I almost did and then thought better of it.) But as silly as that sounds, Big Jim isn't too far off! Chester's Mill did reach the next level of danger in "Speak of the Devil," and not because of a runaway Barbie, like Big Jim thinks. 

This new danger is the gradually depleting supply of oxygen under the dome, because there's no other way to explain the brain damage that's slowly spreading among the people of Chester's Mill. Everyone was suffering from a severe case of the stupids this week, but none more than those f*cking kids. Those stupid, f*cking kids. We barely had a chance to put on our tin foil hats before idiocy took over in "Speak of the Devil," the most confusing episode yet of this constantly baffling and rarely rewarding vacant summer series. Let's revisit the chat that opened the episode, as the kids determined they should tell Julia about the sweet stoner personal planetarium they opened up when the Guardians of Some Secret Cosmic Mystery Club (Norrie's words, not mine) pawed at the mini-dome. Bear with me here. 

Joe said they had to tell someone about the mini-dome and the constellations they painted on the barn, and Angie responded with, "The dome has been pretty clear about not wanting anyone else to know about it." Oh really, Angie? Joe said they could tell Julia because when she touched the dome she saw Joe's ghost (ugh), and it said "The monarch will be crowned." Then Joe said, "She may not be one of us, but she might have some answers." Oh really, Joe? The puppy-eyed redhead journalist who is sleeping with the man who killed her husband instead of investigating the dome might have some answers? Okay, sure. Then Junior stood up and said, "Joe's right, that thing is gonna hatch and then maybe it will lead us to something. Or someone." Junior, that doesn't even follow up on Joe's thought. Now you're just pushing the script along without any regard for clarity or coherence. And what thing will hatch? The mini-dome? The egg? The cocoon? Anyway, then Norrie said something to the effect of, "Like the 'Monarch' is a person or a king," and Joe jumped to the conclusion that this person will also be able to bring down the dome for whatever reason. THEN Angie said, with so much blind confidence, "Alright, so the dome trusts Julia," and had Joe march off and tell her about their discovery. 

These kids are hatching important plans based on fairy tales and flimsy assumptions, and they're all enabling each other's moronic logic by stamping hollow seals of approval on statements they didn't even listen to. But hey, we're moving along! 

So what happened when Joe told Julia about the purple laser light show? Well, he never got a chance to do so, because Max shot Julia in the right shoulder as a statement for Barbie because he walked out on Max. And it looked like this!

Keep in mind that all this happened before the credits even rolled, and the confusing sequence of scenes was a good pace-setter for the absurdity and nonsense that would follow. If you didn't watch the episode and are just here to read my review and look at pretty pictures of Rachelle Lefevre, then you're probably thinking to yourself, "Oh Tim, always the exaggerator." But what if I told you that a) Rachelle Lefevre IS pretty and will be a first-ballot Pretty Person Hall of Fame inductee and b) there was a tornadome inside the dome because the dome got angry that Junior threatened to leave the Guardians of Some Secret Cosmic Mystery League? Would you believe me then? Well, put on your believing shoes because there was a tornadome inside the dome because the dome got angry that Junior threatened to leave the Guardians of Some Secret Cosmic Mystery League. PROOF:

It's always nice to see the storm from Ghostbusters get extra work here and there. Reactions to this whirlwind of dome anger varied, so let's judge the responses.

And you two are supposed to be the "celebrated" actors in this show. For shame. Anyway, if you thought the tornadome was going to be a dominant part of the episode—and you should have, because tornadomes are generally something that would at least top the local news—you would be wrong. Sure, it knocked over a few trees and blew some old receipts around, but it took off as quickly as it arrived probably because CGI is expensive. Once Junior decided that he wasn't leaving the Guardians of Some Secret Cosmic Mystery Brotherhood, the storm went away; apparently it was happy knowing that it'd brought lovebirds Angie and Junior closer together.

Or was it actually something else?! Simultaneously, at the hospital, Barbie was sucking air out of Julia's lung through a tube (siphoning was a big theme in this episode), and he saved her life with Joe as a witness. Joe was in awe and made another mockery of logic by declaring that Barbie was the "monarch" and that he was here to save everyone. 

Joe went back to the clubhouse to tell the other kids all about Barbie's magic lung-sucking skills and claimed that Barbie was the reason the storm stopped, but Junior was like, "No way, Joe-sé," and took credit for stopping the storm because it was his decision to rejoin the Guardians of Some Secret Cosmic Mystery Alliance, a move the dome approved. At this point my brain was tying a noose while tears of sadness streamed down its cheeks, because I had no idea what was going on. We would never find out who was right about stopping the tornadome because Angie put the dick-wagging contest to an end by saying, "Look, something started it and something stopped it," so that was a really great and totally necessary conversation that was never brought up again. 

The kids' next brilliant idea was to go to the "Big Dome" because there were four dots from the planetarium that supposedly represented the four of them, and by seeing how they related to the rest of the constellations (directly under the North Star, thankfully!), they could tell where they needed to go. Again, a bit of a stretch if you ask me. Angie said, "The dome owes us some answers," and that's when my mind committed suicide, so I was like, "Sure, the dome owes them answers, why not?" They put their hands on the dome and then a ghost of Big Jim showed up and starting bleeding from holes in his torso? Then there were bloody knives in the kids' hands? I'm not making this up, I swear. Junior freaked out and went to look for his dad, and the rest of the kids figured that the dome was telling them to kill Big Jim. 

In summary, the dome threatened to drop a tornado on Chester's Mill if the kids didn't agree to stab Big Jim to death, and getting there required a special type of mental faculty found only in people huffing bath salts. 

But wait, that's not all! There was even more stuff going on that just tornadomes and ghosts and lung-sucking!

Big Jim and Barbie were sick of Max and her games, and decided to team up against her to get rid of her for good! But Max was pretty sick of their doodoo, too, because she was randomly walking on a beach and saw her mom wash up on shore. Barbie and Big Jim went to the abandoned cement factory to hunt Max down (I guess, it was never explained why they went there), and Barbie hooked up his Microsoft-approved phone to the factory's power supply with a 10-minute timer that would shut off the power just in case they needed an escape after being held prisoner eight minutes later (allowing two minutes for Max to give her final speech). Eight minutes later, Barbie and Big Jim were taken prisoner by Max and her one remaining goon, Max gave a speech about how she was in love with Barbie and jealous of Julia (I think?), and then BLAMMO the lights went out and when Barbie lit some flares, the guns were in Barbie and Big Jim's hands and the tables were turned a full 540 degrees. Then Big Jim shot Max and her goon dead, Barbie throat-punched Big Jim, and buzzkill Linda showed up to stop Barbie from ending Big Jim. But Barbie punched Linda and ran off. Then Big Jim got on the radio and declared that Chester's Mill was in a state of emergency because Barbie the madman was on the loose! Finally, mortal enemies Barbie and Big Jim can stop pretending to like each other and will no longer have to team up for unlikely escapades. And there's your story as we head into the final two episodes of Under the Dome's first season.

Normally I like to throw in a few jokes here and there, but in the case of "Speak of the Devil," a straight recap of what happened was much funnier. The episode was a series of non-sequiturs with commercial breaks, death-defying leaps of logic to move from one plot point to the next without any regard for common sense or believability, and a shining example of what a television series that stops caring about anything looks like. Last week's "Let the Games Begin" had a charming absurdity and a somewhat coherent storyline that made it a fun hour of popcorn eating, but "Speak of the Devil" was a game of chicken with the audience. A dare to see if we would stick out an entire hour of unintelligible gibberish. In any result, Under the Dome wins.

ADDEN-DOMES

– Anyone else get the idea that Officer Linda is usually reading her lines for the first time when she films her scenes?

– Angie to Junior: "Are you insane? You kept me prisoner, okay? I almost died down there!" Junior's smooth response: "But you didn't." 

– Max: "I better get going, I have some business to attend to on Bird Island." That line made me laugh for many minutes.

– Oh, Officer Linda. You didn't notice that giant siphoning tube sticking out of your cop car when you got in? And to the gas stealer who left the siphoning tube in the car: Why? Do you have a surplus of siphoning tubes that you can just leave them behind?

– Another episode of Under the Dome, another episode in which someone hands Junior a HUGE GUN. 

– Another reason Julia should stay with Barbie instead of her dead husband: Barbie is a much better doctor than Peter ever was.

– Where is Ben? I need to know. And where is Carolyn? Still mourning and ignoring her daughter?

– Joe can drive a car, but he said his driving instructor didn't think he checked his mirrors enough. Then when Joe drove Barbie and Julia to the hospital, he didn't check his mirrors! The public driving education system has failed us again!

– How about that Prius product placement? It's nice to know that if I ever have a tornado bearing down on me I can plug in my Prius and take comfort in the fact that after the tornado kills all my neighbors, I'll still be able to drive away from the rubble.

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 9/10/2015

Season 3 : Episode 13

378 Comments
Comments (378)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
It took me 3 nights to finish watching this. I'm not kidding. I watch this show every night because it puts me to sleep. Praise the Gods that there isn't another show, that isn't reality and that's as dumb as this (even The Following is better and that's saying something). Your reviews are so worth it.
Flag
Brilliant review!! As usual...sitting in a café and embarassingly laughing my *** off. :D
Flag
I just want to know who painted the constellation? they all have to touch the mini dome at the same time, soo do they just have amazing memory? I know I'll never get any answers cuz we never do in this show. but I love the train wreck
Flag
We got to look at those paintings again!!! Great masterpieces if you ask me..
Flag
Not sure how I survived eleven episodes of this. No more risk, I'm pulling the plug and go read the book.
Flag
Why stop now? "I am in blood / Stepp'd in so far, that, should I wade no more, / Returning were as tedious as go o'er."
Flag
Final straw. Sorry Tim, even your reviews can't entice me enough to watch another second of this steaming pile. It makes my brain sad that it has already been renewed.
Flag
I honestly love every tv show that is a mystery but i dont want under the dome to drag out like pretty little liars and we dont get answers
Flag
so...
i) who is working at the diner (where the DJ was at) when Angie is out touching the dome?
ii) how did Joe really decide which part of the big dome to touch?
iii) why didnt maxine shoot Julia's heart?
iv) How come theres no boxing match today/in this ep?
v) why didnt Junior and Big Jim close the shelter door when they went in?
vi) why didnt they just stay in there til the weather gets better?
vii) why was Maxine strolling along the beach?
viii) what happen to her mom's body? still at the beach?
viiii) why does the clinic's emergency auto door still works when theres only 1 doctor there? Shouldnt they try to save energy and use normal doors instead?
x) how did Big Jim go from a crook who is selling propane to being the town hero within 1 ep?

Need some ans. Help!

Flag
i) Probably other people that worked there before. It had more than two employees.

ii) He used the alignment of the constellations and his knowledge of astronomy to figure out where they needed to be.

vii) She was walking from the dock to the house, just like Big Jim did in a previous episode.

viii) Nor shown. Not everything is shown on TV (You never see them eat or go to the bathroom, you never saw Max setup the fight club, etc.)

viiii) How do you shut off one door? Cut wires? Trip a breaker for just that door?

x) He is only the town hero in his own mind.
Flag
how the f did Joe came up with where to go and touch the big dome? Seriously, its just white dots of paint.
Flag
Because there were four stars that weren't part of any constellation. Because, you know, Joe being the boy genius, has every constellation in the night sky memorized.

I wondered what had happened if they touched a different part of the Dome? Was the Dome going to get all pissy and say, "No, they did not touch the northernmost spot, but the NW spot instead, so I will refuse to give them any more visions."
Flag
And that's part of why UtD is so damn irritating. What's the point of these scavenger-hunt style tests, or requirements, or whatever they are? They don't seem to be intelligence tests, because very little intelligence is required: just huge logic leaps. And Joe is the one who is doing all the thinking, anyway.

What the Dome is doing is mysterious, but it's not a mystery.
Flag
thank god for this interview. Otherwise, i would have just wasted an hour of my life watching some random show.
Flag
I just realized the propane for drugs thing was supposed to be a huge revelation - as in Big Jim did not arrange for the dome to save Chester's Mill from outside big business encroaching on their small town businesses. He brought the propane to save the town from drugs and not because he knew the dome was coming.

Although the town leaders getting together to arrange a dome to seperate them from the outside world would prob be more interesting
Flag
If only this show was as good as your reviews are - it would be awesome Tim! Thanks for doing these every week so I don't have to sit through this terrible mess of a show. Had high hopes for it - but unfortunately it's just another Terra Nova/Revolution - high concept - inept everything else - type show.
Flag
Someone call Nathalie Zea's agent and beg them to have her exit dumb shows like Under the dome or The Following and get something meatier in Justified
Flag
The dome was dropped on them to protect them from the upcoming Sharknado. Sharks vs. Butterflies. Yay.
Flag
Another classic episode in which I noticed that people outside the dome have rebuilt the world which had been destroyed by a nuke only a short time ago.
How industrious is that.
Flag
AND IT WAS NOT A NUKE!!!!

Google MOAB - Largest CONVENTIONAL bomb in the US arsenal. Sheesh...
Flag
The bomb only destroyed half of the outside the dome protected the other end
Flag
Well maybe if Angie used some of her witch magic to blow some shit up and unlock doors, the show would be more interesting. Stop hiding your powers Angie!
Flag
The dome trapped them there because they all use Nokia and Microsoft products. The dome was sent by Apple. (or Google)
Flag
Man this show just keeps getting dumber and dumber.
For some reason, the teen club keeps refering to the dome as a living thing that is trying to comunicate with them (where I would have assumed someone *else* who was responsible for the dome is comunicating with them, but whatever). If they assume the dome itself is comunicating with them -

WHY ON EARTH WOULD IT TELL THEM HOW TO DESTROY IT?!?
Seriously, Angie constantly thinks that when they do whatever it is they do, the dome will disappear, but that would be like death for itself (if it is sentient).
Why is that a logical conclusion? In fact, it is the exact OPPOSITE of the logical conclusion.

That killing Big Jim is what the dome needs in order to stay forever.
Heck, how did they reach from "the monarch would be crowned" to "the dome will disappear". The holes on that one...

And for the love of whatever... The dome already is capable of taking control over them. It got Joe to drag the mini dome from the forest to the barn without him even remembering it. So why wouldn't it just make him sleep walk again and stab Jim while he is at it?

Why do they let Angie talk like she is the big expert on things? She knows the least about the dome (being trapped in the basement got her out of the loop), didn't even remember her own seizures and even after being trapped she took most of her time in the diner. Where as Joe and Norrie were the one doing the experiments on the dome all along. Heck, Joe is clearly the brains of the operation with his "trig" skills. I have no problem with her playing big sis card (and obviously Junior would do whatever she says) but come on... Everyone are just accepting everything she says. Well, except Junior when she says "no".

And Junior... Isn't he the only other police officer in town? You know, the one that's being hit by a tornado? Nobody was looking for him? Big Jim handed him a gun and told him to watch the cellar - He abandoned his post.
You'd think either him or officer moron would care about him taking off to join the teen club.

Dear lord... someone gets paid to write this?
More+
Flag
Lots of good points. But I would like to add, it's not a mini dome. It quite obviously a sphere! For some reason this is bugging me more than all the other rubbish on this show. And yet i keep watching.....
Flag
It was commented before, but the most common (and not that far fetched) answer is that the reason they use the word "Dome" is because Julia heard it from the military broadcast. The army didn't know what it was at first.

Then everybody called it a dome and just carried on, so I guess you can say Dome is its name, not its shape.
Flag
And maybe because 'Inside the Sphere' doesn't sound quite as good as 'Under the Dome'.
Flag
Well there was a movie called Sphere
Flag
Normally i defend this series, but this episode was all over the place...
The four has gone completely mental with their ideas that Barbie is the Monarch..just because he knew how to save Julia....!
For a moment i thought that the old Junior would be back and crazy again, but he stayed pretty cool till they saw Big Jim and with the knifes...
It would be great if Big Jim died....very annoying character...

Like i said before, somehow the show is crap, but can't stop watching it....need to know how it will end...!!
Flag
What this show needs is a scene where Linda is carrying a long board over her shoulder and then turns when she hears someone talking to her and whacks some other person in the head then turns again to whack the first person. Couple that with a few "Nyuk, Nyuks" and we have a damn good 3 stooges under a dome story! This show is an easy "Plan9 from Outerspace" Bad TV program award winner. At least it is my nominee! I can only imagine that the script was written by a bunch Potheads in Frat House. People around the World are wondering "What's up with these crazy Americans?"
Flag
i cant believe the bad quality of the show, but im still watching and i want to know how it ends. i mean, whatever they are doing still work to keep you in front of the tv.
Flag
i gave up watching this after about episode 2 or 3, it's much more entertaining reading your reviews :) it does make me curious whether the book is just as bad?!
Flag
Other than some character names, there is absolutely NO relations what so ever to the book. Just to give a tiny example in the book (obviously slightly spoilerish)

Junior didn't just kidnap Angie, he KILLED her and forget about the stupid secret teen club. Never happened. It's been a while since I read it, but I don't think Joe was in the book.
Flag
The book was much better, but probably too dark for television . . . Junior did kill Angie and Dodee early on and spends a lot of his time molesting the corpses, so I don't think that would go over so well on the network : )
"Scarecrow" Joe is in the book and was one of the few survivors.

As a long-time Stephen King fan, I've pretty much accepted that this is different from the book, but I have to admit I'm enjoying it for some reason. I think I went into it without the need for logical plotlines . . . I mean, the entire idea isn't very logical, so I kind of just accepted it for what it is.
Flag
Having read the Dark Tower series I couldn't imagine one of Stephen King's books being that bad so I'm glad to know it's not! I think I'll have to hunt it out and read it myself
Flag
I started reading the Dome book but the people weren't the same so I'll wait until this is done for the season.
Flag
I love you Time Surette.
Marry me.
Flag
Idiot wind blowing every time your move your mouth
Blowing down the backroads heading south
Idiot wind blowing every time you move your teeth
You're an idiot babe
It's a wonder that you still know how to breathe

-Bob Dylan - Live Under The Dome bootleg

Where the hell did that Caribbean island with the sandy beaches come from anyway? Where did the methane go and did the lake grow 10 times in size? Why was Big Jim talking to Linda like she was 2 years old and why didn't she do what he said when he told her to "Think about it." Clearly, if she had, Barbie wouldn't be the new Big Bad. Enough holes in Big Jim's story to fill the Albert Hall. How do these kids even manage to feed themselves? If I watch this next week, I'll need a new drug. There were still a few slivers of lucidity left with this one ...

Now I need to go plug in my Prius ... I feel a storm coming.
Flag
It must have taken forever to paint the constellations in the barn. I mean, don't they have to hold their hands against the mini-dome for them to be visible?
Flag
I'd like to know how the heck they did it. You'd have to trace a straight line out from the egg to the wall of the barn, through each and every dot. It's a pretty sizable barn. There are about 2,000 to 5,000 stars visible in the night sky (plus four more). Given, say eight hours from when the egg started projecting, to the next morning, and that they were working in two teams of two, each team did roughly 1,750 stars. That means each team did 218 an hour, or or 3 a minute. Yeah, right...
Flag
And that's assuming the mini-Dome conveniently stayed lit for the entire eight hour period when they weren't all four touching it. Something it's showed no inclination to do so far.
Flag
The literal plug for Toyota was so perfectly ridiculous.
Flag
The show has evolved and now I realy enjoy it !!! And what Joe think might be truth, the dome likes Julia.
Flag
r You serious?! This show is so stupid I can't believe it. Is Linda the stupidest cop ever alive. Wait, don't answer that.
Flag
lol....series is for the fun , imagination and adventure....no series or movie is realistic or spot-on.
If you don't like it so much , why the F#$% are you watching it????
LOL !!!!
Flag
It's been asked and answered several times. Because bad TV is entertaining. Look at the dearth of reality shows.
Flag
I watched it a second time and discovered my mind was actually numb.
Flag
Oh Tim! This is an enjoyable sci-fi adventure, not the "How logic works" podcast from stuffyoushouldknow.com. Lighten up and flow along with the fun and excitement! It's become quite an interesting tale by now, and I for one am willing to overlook the inconsistensies and even the minor stupidities every now and then. Looking forward to the last two episodes! (Does anybody know if there'll be a second season, by the way?)
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
It's more science-fantasy than sci-fi.

It's been renewed for next summer.
Flag
My mind hung, burn, cut and evopared itself last week. It was painful and highly incovenient. This week it did it again, only repeatedly and to the tune of a lithuanian drum 'n' beat remix of "Singin' in the rain".

* Angie told BigJim a couple of episodes ago how she wanted to have her cafe up and running but she hasn't been there for a while now. Even when a town is Domed up the manager decides to go on alien tangents.

* Norrie's hair changed again (LOL)

* I smiled at Norrie's "The Dome owes us answers!". Sure it does. The first minute of dialogue was absolutely awful and I had to stop watching for a second to catch my breath.

* That fat woman at the radio station seems to have recuperated from her Dome injury quite well.

Two colleagues at work have caught on that UtD is on TV in the UK and I had to strongly advise them, with that stern look you get in your eyes when you advise people, not to watch it. Watching this trainwreck of a plane crash for 9 episodes only to be hit by a Retard buster in the tenth is too much to handle.
More+
Flag

Way to go, Linda! You should totally take the word of the guy who just confessed to running a drug operation. Sure, Barbie shot a woman and then drove her to the hospital and (probably) saved her life. I don't know if Linda has put that together yet, but the nurse seems to believe Big Jim's story and she was THERE. She may be the one character dumber than Linda. Linda also believes that Barbie shot Max despite Big Jim offering her nothing in the way of motive (even though there was one to offer) and the fact that Big Jim himself has a motive!

My prediction: Jim will hire some guy we've never seen before to smother Julia with a pillow before she wakes up, but Linda will do something useful for a change and stop him. She'll either be forced to shoot him or Big Jim will get to him and kill him before he can talk.

What's with the kids rushing to interpret their vision as a call to murder BIg Jim? Why would the Dome tell them how to make it go away, and if that IS how to make it go away, why aren't they questioning why a mysterious sentient dome would descend upon the town with the endgame of killing a used car salesman/city councilman? And what would be the point of the cocoon, the mini Dome, the apparitions and the Monarch business in that case? Just the Dome staving off boredom until the kids figure it out? Shouldn't they at least consider the possibility that the Dome is telling them "this is what will happen if you don't do whatever you're supposed to do, and if it does happen you're fucked?"

Finally, I'm disappointed in the lack of pretty pictures of Rachel Lefevre this time around. Just one brief gif and one shot of her unconscious body with her face obscured? Come on!
More+
Flag
I forgot to add that Linda should consider the fact that she's alive to contemplate this. If Barbie killed Max and her bodyguard and intended to kill Big Jim, why would he grab Linda's gun and run instead of finishing the job and then shooting Linda? Linda, I'm asking you!
Flag
Yeah, this show is bad but i just cant stop watching, i think that says more about me than it does the show
Flag
The logic loops in this episode was horrible but forgiveable if they actually did something unpredictable and interesting but they don't.

I agree about the kids, I hope the dome swallow them hole or the mothership returns and welcomes them home or whatever.

I didn't like the fact that Max died, she was an interesting character, what a waste. This show doesn't seem to aim for long-term survival.

As for Barbie and Big Jim I liked it how it turned out as now they both had to resolve to their strengths, Barbies with his kick ass military training and just took off and Big Jim playing dirty politicans like it was in his blood. I hope Barbie won't kill Big Jim but just found the necessary proof he's innocent and then release it to that town's radio.

And as usual Linda was useless.
Flag
I think Tim pretty much said it all, so I'll just add that I agree there was a heap of faulty logic and jumping to conclusions that made this one harder to swallow than most other episodes. And yet I still.... can't... stop....

Glad some characters are getting weeded out, though.
Flag
I (like pretty much everyone else) like this show because of how dumb it is.
Flag
Haha, agree with this completly.
Flag
I wonder when the DEA is raiding the writers office :-)
Flag
Btw am I the only one that thought the domenado looked like an inverse milk swirl?

Flag
Oh yeah, I mentioned that to my wife a few times.
Flag
Great example of lazy writing was when Lin-duh showed up at the PRECISE moment Barbie McShrimp (I don't know he just kinda looks like a shrimp to me) overpowered Big Jim making him look like he's the guilt one. It's just so mind blowingly awful. But he was right by running away because having faith in OFFICER Linda being capable of doing useful police work is a bet no one would take.
Flag
Tim, you got anymore room inside that noose of yours?
Flag
I think the problem maybe your inability to follow the story plot. The cement factory Max had turned into a Club seems an unlikely place to find her???? Or her walking on the beach to her boat seemingly random, after all her home is located on Bird Island. I mean really an Island surrounded by water? Outlandish to say the least. I mean really why would she ever of been near the lake shore? So awkward and random of her....LMAO!!!! I think wow how lucky I am, what kind of life must one live to watch a show one finds so dumb. An empty life for sure if you can find nothing better to do than watch a show you hate, because your highlight of the week is review written by a simplton.
Flag
Most people who have cars (and we've seen that Max has a car, with a gun in the glove compartment) and have boats (which are at things called "docks"), drive to the docks, and get in the boat. There's no storyline or plot to indicate she would just decide to go for a stroll on the beach.

It would have made more sense for her to find her mother washed up at the dock. But apparently they couldn't afford a dock for the scene.

Given Maxine specifically told Big Jim that she was going out to the island, yes, looking for her at the cement factory didn't make much sense. You start by looking for people at the place where they tell you they'll be.
Flag
Now, they could have had Big Jim and Barbie go out to the island, but then Linda couldn't have driven up and had Big Jim blame Barbie for the shootings.

The solution would have been for Maxine to say she was going to the concrete factory... but then she wouldn't have found her mother's corpse. Then again, why did she need to find her mother's corpse? Big Jim was coming to arrest/kill her: wouldn't that be enough of a reason for her to kill him and Barbie? But they had to have her find the corpse because... *shrug* They paid Mare Winningham for two episodes, I guess.

It's like they used the Plot-omatic 2000, but left out every other plot point when they started filming.
Flag
Under The Dome is the most entertaining show I've been watching the last months. Gets better and better every week :)
Flag
You forgot your :sarcasm: tag.
Flag
I'm pretty certain that at this point that the haters, and the person reviewing this, are just doing it to try to be funny. No person on earth will mistake this show for Breaking Bad. Also apparently nobody has a problem with a giant dome appearing in a fake show, but god forbid if a tornado appears IN A GIANT DOME IN A FAKE SHOW for example. Linda is bad though ha.
Flag
Certainly the writers and producers don't want to be mistaken for Breaking Bad. It's too bad they don't try a little harder to be mistaken for it, though. Or even be mistaken for Siberia.
Flag
Pulitzer for Tim!!!
these reviews alone make it worth watching.
I am a bit disappointed you skipped the "running nurse incident" since it was even dumber as the expressionless parted lip look of Julia MC Ginger.
Sheriff Buzzkill (the woman trapped in a man's body) "I can't tell you anything" just to tell the guy EVERYTHING which is not true.
Haha Lung-Sucking-Skills, that had me laughing all morning
Flag
All Dome haters, why watching the show if it's so bad, why taking the tame to comment. I love this show... doesn't matter how this and that, still entertainmrnt!!
Flag
it seems you are unfamiliar with the term entertainment (j/k)
Flag
Well written review of the week's worst hour in television. Although it is hard to say this was the worst episode, i mean, at least stuff was happening, but it probably was the laziest written episode. I had such high hopes for this show, but it has turned out to be a really bad made-for-TV "B" movie. How about when Barbie stabs Julia with the plastic tube and starts sucking her lungs?! You notice that he did nothing else for her - didn't try to stop the bleeding, didn't try to clean the wound, dress the wound, nothing to do with the wound, except make another wound. I hope his malpractice premiums were paid before the Dome came down. Anyway, great review. The only reason I still watch the show is to read your review and laugh. Keep up the good work.
Flag
He was sucking air out of the abdomen to relieve pressure on the heart. Not her lungs.
Flag
The funniest thing is that the Chesters Mill clinic was all out of tubes (they all probably got stolen so people could go gas-sucking on their neighbours cars) so Barbie, being the handsome and brave quick thinker that he is, thought of the next best thing one can use for lung-sucking.....drumroll: A PEN! Ta-da!
Yeah, we never saw that on a TV show before. That must've been a real light bulb moment in the writers room: "Hey guys! How about this idea: PEN!" And that's when all the Dome writers broke into applause.
Good thing Barbie got stuck in this town - this guy can really think on his feet! O_o
Flag
"These kids are hatching important plans based on fairy tales and flimsy assumptions, and they're all enabling each other's moronic logic by stamping hollow seals of approval on statements they didn't even listen to."

First and foremost this ^

I kept thinking what are they even talking bout? Is this really happening right now? Is that a real conversation?

and then more nonsense occured and I was feeling this "At this point my brain was tying a noose while tears of sadness streamed down its cheeks, because I had no idea what was going on."

Seriously, I have no idea what I just watched. I feel like they are making things up as the story progressed and the actors are forced to deliver the WORST incoherent lines they ever had to deliver in their entire lives. I love Britt Robertson (Angie) but her acting in this one sucked. Hell, even the worst actress on Planet Earth - Natalie Martinez a.k.a. officer Linda did a better job than Britt.

small note: Rachelle Lefevre is truly gorgeous, I'm very sad that she didn't get any screentime. :/

even smaller note: Was anyone else creeped out by that conversation between Big Jim and Junior?
More+
Flag
Tim, this was by far your funniest review yet! I don't normally lol, but I lol'd so l. Glad to hear this crap hasn't gotten better!
Flag
Is there any chance this still gets cancelled even though a 2nd season was announced?
Flag
It still gets lots of viewers, so no.
Flag
I guess I'm not helping matters by continuing to watch this crap.
Flag
If you're not part of a registered Nielsen household, then it's not your fault. :)
Flag
Oh my freakin' lord. That basically summed up exactly what I was feeling watching this, which by far and away, was the worst episode of the season. It's almost like they forgot they had to fill in an episode and throw some random crap together that Bob, Billy and Frank in the corner were throwing out.

The sad thing is, I really like this show. IMO, if I compared this with Revolution, Dome takes it hands down! But this was just bad....like beyond band. Like scream at the TV and just shake my head bad.

At some point each week, I just have this image of Big Jim rubbing his hands gleefully together with a evil little laugh just because it always falls ridiculously in his favour and he can go on touting he's the big man in the Dome. *le sigh*
Flag
Yeah compared to "Revolution", Dome's definitely a winner!
Flag
Mind you I usually watch this dumb shit with one eye..because I hate it, but my husband likes it..so I most of the time have my head phones on and only remove them for a second for the wtf moments..but this epi omg i watched it because I just couldn't believe what was going on. I agree I think the CO2 level in the dome is sky high because everyone is acting f*&%ing nuts. I think they were all given scissors and told to make cutesie paper dolls out of the script and then read what was left...and the dome tornado..man oh man I was hoping to see some sharks and a great white twirl around in that thing and then proceed to eat all of the Chester Mill inhabitants. That would have been some good watching. Also that officer Linda is the worst police woman that ever was and a sorry shot to boot..and really WTF!!!! is up with this giant steaming mountain of turds show. I truly think everyone is oxygen deprived, I really am hoping all of them will die soon...
Flag
"I think they were all given scissors and told to make cutesie paper dolls out of the script and then read what was left"
Lol! YES! ^^^^^
Just your typical table read at Dome Studios: Origami Script Time!
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members