An Under the Dome Community
CBS (ended 2015)

Under the Dome S01E02: "The Fire"

Remember the pilot for Under the Dome? That was pretty good, wasn't it? There was this dome thing, and then trucks and planes crashed into it and exploded and blackbirds broke their hollow bird neck vertebrae smacking into it. Not so much last night, though. I'm no television scientist, but there may be some correlation between the quality of an Under the Dome episode and how much dome-related destruction and death it contains, and last night's episode "The Fire" didn't have much of either. 

I know we can't expect every episode to feature trucks smashing into an impenetrable membrane and crunching like a soda can or farm animals being halved, but it's reasonable to expect more of an appropriate reaction from the people trapped under the dome. Everyone in Chester's Mill seems to be pretty calm and cool about their new terrarium except Policeman Paul, and when he delivered the obvious truth—"It's not going to be okay! This thing [editor's note: the "thing" he's talking about is the dome] is never going to go away and we're all going to die!"—all of a sudden he's the crazy one? Okay maybe he's the crazy one for firing off a couple rounds at the dome, I'll give you that, but there's more than a kernel of truth to what he's saying and if everyone else freaked out like he did, we'd have ourselves a more entertaining show. This is only the second day of Domedom, after all, so being trapped like a wasp at a picnic should still be fresh in people's minds.

Also maddening was the silly amount of time the citizens of Chester's Mill spent trying to name the dome. They referred to it as "this thing," "this damn thing," "this barrier thing," and "some magical bubble thing" before confirming via eavesdropping on the military that it is, indeed, just as the title of the show says, a... wait for it... DOME. Sure, naming it may be important for the town's residents, but from the standpoint of an audience watching a show called Under the Dome, it's about as boring as it gets. Imagine if Charlie from Lost rephrased his famous line and said, "Guys, where are we? I think we're... LOST." No shit, Sherlock. That's the title of the freakin' show. Yet the phrase "under the/a dome" was muttered by Under the Dome characters THREE TIMES in one minute and 18 seconds, and each time they said it I spit-taked my chamomile tea. Storytellers have a responsibility to not spend too much time showing us what we already know, but that concept was ignored here. The citizens' overwrought journey of discovery became a source of unintended comedy for me, but at least it opens up the possibilities for drinking games (everytime they say "dome," dunk your head in the rum-punch bowl). 

There was also a Stupid Contest between a trio of characters. Winning the championship for Most Academically Inept was Joe's friend Ben, who reasoned that if water could penetrate the dome, then humans and our 70-percent-water composition could also get through. He was also extremely excited about the dome's presence probably canceling his upcoming trigonometry test, but equally bummed about not being able to ever make out with Mila Kunis. I suppose there was some opportunity for humor here, but it fell flat without the delivery of a capable actor. If you're going to be that stupid, at least be charmingly dim.

Winning the prize for Stupidity Under Pressure was the newly introduced, drugged-up Reverend Coggins (Justified's Ned Bellamy). Big Jim ordered him to retrieve incriminating propane-smuggling documents from the house of recently deceased Sheriff Duke, and nearly Darwined himself. "The lord works in mysterious ways," he said as he set the docs aflame. However, fire does not work in mysterious ways. In fact, it's a pretty simple concept. But this escaped Coggins, so he put the burning papers into a trashcan, bumped the bin into some extremely flammable curtains, tried to smother the fire with a very burnable jacket, and then panicked and threw the engulfed outerwear into another portion of the house that could easily combust. I must have watched this four or five times in a row, and it got funnier with each take. I'm just not sure it was supposed to be funny. This show has become an unintentional domedy. (Okay, I'm not that funny either.)

Winning honorable mentions in the Stupid Contest were the dozens of onlookers who had to be told by Barbie that some substance called "water" was effective in putting out fire. A bucket brigade (YES, A BUCKET BRIGADE) was formed and hoses were used to fight the flames, but it wasn't until Big Jim and his borrowed bulldozer showed up to flatten the flaming abode that the greatest threat to Chester's Mill (no offense, dome) was finally extinguished. Nevertheless, journalist Julia still was impressed with Barbie's mad firefighting skillz. "Bucket brigade, pretty clever," she told him while admiring his man-pecs. Well, Mrs. Extremely Lonely Lady, first of all, a bucket brigade isn't that clever, and second of all, his plan didn't even work. And don't be so obviously horny for Barbie. You don't even know that your old, unsexy husband is dead yet. Yeesh. 

But most frustrating of all the stupid characters in this episode was the character who was the stupidest. And I don't mean stupid as in unintelligent, I mean stupid as in whyyyyyyyyyyyy!?!? Junior, the mentally challenged and obsessive kidnapper, please step up and claim your grand prize. There's nothing interesting about Junior holding Angie captive in his dad's underground shelter. Nothing. You know what is interesting? THE DOME. To rush into this storyline so early when we still don't really know any of the characters and there's still a huge dome to be interested in was a G.O.B. Bluth-sized huge mistake. You could literally remove every scene featuring Angie and Junior that we've seen so far, and the rest of the show wouldn't change a bit. Yeah, Barbie and Junior got in a fight, but what was the result for Barbie? He just strolled out of the woods. And has Joe not noticed that his sister is missing? Has anyone noticed that Angie is missing? Was Junior always this crazy, or did it take a huge dome to send him into a fit? If he was always this crazy, what's a hottie like Angie doing sexing him up? Is Junior Patient Zero for dome-afflicted insanity? I'd actually buy that over everything else at the moment, based on what we have to go on to explain his behavior, which is nothing. 

Under the Dome's pilot was entertaining, but it did show signs that it wasn't the start of a great series. Junior's kidnapping of Angie, the episode's stress on non-dome side stories, and broadly painted characters really dragged down the second half of the premiere after a pretty solid start. Those problems solidified in "The Fire," and it looks like Under the Dome likely won't be the great summer diversion we hoped it would be. It might even be terrible. So, did anyone watch Siberia?

ADDEN-DOMES

– "We're under a dome, Dodee!" might be my favorite line of dialogue ever.

– DJ Phil, if THAT's what you think is face-melting rock n' roll, then I don't want to party with you.

– What grade would you give Policewoman Linda's acting skills? F-minus? Or F? And what's with the very casual talk about where her man was going to take her on their honeymoon? "That dog said I had to settle for Niagara Falls!" Hello? Look above your head! THERE'S A DOME! He can go to Hawaii if he wants, but you're honeymooning solo UNDER THE DOME. 

– The science portion of the series is going to be left to a high-schooler with some trigonometry skills? Is he really the only person who's trying to figure out what this dome is?

– After DJ Phil's report from "WYVS, your only source of news from under the dome," goth seizure girl explained what that meant: "It means we're all going to die under here!" CUT TO COMMERCIAL! And then we got no explanation of what she meant. That's some totally obvious and heavy-handed pre-commercial doomsday hyping right there, lady. It's also really bad writing.

– One big flashing neon sign that this show might not be very good: the lazy episode title "The Fire." And guess what happened in the episode? A fire! 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 9/10/2015

Season 3 : Episode 13

299 Comments
Comments (274)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I didn't watch UTD while it was on, but after all the attention it got by the Blowies, knocking Dexter out of the park in several categories, I decided I had to see what all the fuss was about.

I got a hold of the pilot and watched and then read the recap of it.
After the Pilot I aggree with Tim. Not too shabby. This could be nice, easy-watchin, summer entertainment. Nothing too spectacular but worth a lazy hour a week.

Then I read this second recap.
And I have rarely seen such an abrubt nosedive in opinion by a reviewer. From 'yeah ok, this could work' to 'What the f**k am I watching' in one episode is pretty dramatic.

I'm almost tempted to watch it. Just to see.
Especially after such descriptions as Rev. Coggins burning down the house.
or
""Bucket brigade, pretty clever," she told him while admiring his man-pecs. Well, Mrs. Extremely Lonely Lady, first of all, a bucket brigade isn't that clever, and second of all, his plan didn't even work."

I sounds pretty funny. Intentional or not.

On the other hand, I have plenty of other catch-ups to watch during the holiday hiatus.

What do you think? Shoud I watch some more? If so, any recommendations as to which episodes to watch?
More+
Flag
It is hard to watch a show where you hate all the characters. How stupid is the brother? Did he totally forget he has a sister? I am starting to hate the show too. It has so many glaring plot holes and is getting on my last nerve.
Flag
I´m afraid they didn´t choose a very good book.. why this? King has much better stories.. can you imagine Dark tower as TV show? Oh my..
Flag
Seems to me that 9 out of 10 of Kings book adaptations are lame. I was waiting very much for this TV show and it is a big disappointment. The book has a good storyline and very complex characters, but in the TV they are just very low-level. Eg.: why Barbie is a simple goon instead of a PTS, burned-out ex military? and Jim is a quite polite, almost likeable character, and usually acts like a real leader. After the 3rd episode even Junior becomes humane, instead of the spoiled, psychopathic character that is in the book.

But the biggest mistake is to make a murderer of Barbie instead of Junior. Too bad.
Flag
I'd like to know why no one has thought to WRITE A NOTE and show it to the people on the other side of the dome. It's not like communication didn't exist before cell phones. Geez.
Flag
This review completely just made my night. Catching up on it (yeah, only 3 episodes in and I have to catch up) but lordy, this review was way better than the actual episode! I'm glad I'm not the only one who is so done with the Angie/Junior storyline.
Flag
Its at the directorial and script level. Producers better be scrambling to save this quick. I offered my help as a director, lets see if they listen.
Lancelot Smith
Flag
UNDER THE DOME: Great premise. Awful writing. SIBERIA: Awful premise. Great writing.
Flag
thank you for this review. I'm totally bored at work now and you kinda made my day :)
Flag
I love how the scientists are ignoring the trapped people, even if the pretty redhead journalist is naked (wish they'd shown that!), however when Joe has a pretty interesting discovery - water can kinda get through - the same white coated guys are still not interested. They're testing to see if it's water proof, and they ignore the actual water getting through?

Odd.
Flag
This show is great. Of course they are saying the word dome a lot... they are still curious and confused as to what is happening. As to the Angie situation, it adds drama to the show and the great acting of Britt Robertson makes the show amazing. No one has noticed she is missing because her brother is preoccupied and I doubt many people are focused on work. Her disappearance could easily go unnoticed for a while. This is a very good show on tv and I hope it continues to do well. If I would change anything, I would add more scenes with Britt RObertson because she is such an amazing actress.
Flag
let me venture a wild guess .. you watch revolution and didn't understand why terra nova was cancelled, right?
Flag
no
Flag
Agreed - I can't stand Junior's storyline and I can't believe no one has noticed Angie is missing. They're under a dome, she was in a very public place (as public as it gets in Chester's Mill) when the dome came down so she's obviously also under the dome, the town is small .... very small .... SOMEONE WOULD'VE NOTICED SHE'S MISSING. If not her brother definitely her place of business considering that it's now where every single person in the town hangs out (though it probably was before too), you'd think Zelda from Sabrina the Teenage Witch would be desperately missing diner aid. I'm still hanging on though, hoping the show turns back to the quality demonstrated in the first half of the pilot. I wish CBS had stuck with the mini-series and not banking on a 2nd season, the show would've greatly benefited from a short, concise plot jam-packed with dome related action.
Flag
This would have made a better 2-3 episode mini-series......
Flag
I totally agree with your review. I rolled my eyes so many times I could have got stuck. One last chance and this show is done for me.
Flag
damn Tim. Your reviews rule all!
Flag
It's funny because it's different from the novel and yet it feels like it suffering from the exact same problem : it doesn't know if it want to be a pop-corn show that people can watch for pure fun, or an ambitious and serious story. The characters are not as stereotyped as they were in the book, but most of the actors here are just not good enought to make them interesting.
Also for a show that has been presented as some kind of blockbuster it feels a bit cheap. Special effects are not that bad but Chester Mill's feels like a town of 10, maybe 20 people. Same thing about the fire, they show us a small house isolated from the other houses and we're supposed to believe that the fire can spread to other houses.
Flag
I only wish that I could speak to mr stephen king so I could ask him, " whilst listening to the plans of rape and molestation of the good people of chesters mill, with dollar signs in your eyes, was Ollie Dinsmore ever in your thoughts?"
Flag
It's hard watching this after reading the book. It's like they kept the title/concept of a dome, kept the character names and stopped there. REALLY don't like the stupidity of some of these people-especially barbie who was one of the only handful of people who had any sense in the book. Here u dream/reminence (I know I misspelled here) about killing this guy and he had ur dog tags in a death grip and what's the first thing u do when u wake up? Ask his widow if she'd seen said incriminating evidence!!! Then suggest u might have left it in ur car-fine. Then u get the evidence, get busted with it by the widow-REPORTER widow who pays attention to details by trade and instead of telling her yeah it actually was in ur car, u claim it was on her own bathroom mirror??? Ugh! Annoyed!
Flag
I'm giving this show 2 more episodes to pull out of the tailspin it's in.
And what was with that fire? The only way it could spread that fast is with some sort of accelerant, I couldn't stop laughing during that entire scene.
Another thing, the crazy cop was the only one making any sense, and it would have been better had they not had him pull a weapon at all, it would have made for a more dramatic scene instead of the silly scene it was.
Even though it's only been a day, most of the people seem to have accepted what happened and very few people are panicking, which I find completely unrealistic in such a situation, and I am surprised nobody has taken a shovel and tried to discover how deep the dome extends.
Flag
Totally agree here, junior storyline is just plain stupid.
In fact, it's even dumber that no one noticed Angie is missing. Wouldn't the first thing that you would do in this scenario is a head count? Who is in and who is outside the dome?

Hello... There could be children left without parents.

That's my major issue here, as the reviewer noted, the dome gets little screentime when it should be the main focus.

They need to start dealing with what it means -
1)Start trying to get out. Dig tunnels, try to smash it, whatever. It doesn't matter if it fails, we need to see the characters TRY.

2)Start talking to the people outside. Even if they can't hear you - write something!

3)The implications of the dome. For one thing, they have a limited supply of food and water. No rain or wind under the dome. Whatever electricity they have has to has to have its limits, same with medicine. And while we're at it, wouldn't the dome create a greenhouse effect?

That is the stuff that would actually put interest on the show. An ordinary boring psycho who kidnaps his girlfriend with no relation to the dome does not.

P.S
If the dome covers the entire town and part of the neighbouring town as suggested by the kid, how come not a single one of them have a fire department...
More+
Flag
All good points. I especially liked the one about the greenhouse effect, because for some reason I hadn't thought of that. If the dome isn't letting infrared light in, people should have said something about how it's weird to be out in the sun and not feel the heat. So it should be a safe bet that infrared is getting in. This means that the sun is heating the ground, the ground is heating the air, and the air can't get out. Not fast enough anyway. So it should be crazy hot in there after a while.

Regarding people on the inside trying to talk to people on the outside... I agree that they should be, but I think an even bigger problem is no one on the *outside* is trying to talk to *them*. There must be people on the outside who are working hard on this problem. They would certainly want to talk to people on the inside.

What they should be saying is something like this: "We don't know what the bleep the dome is, but it appears to be a perfect sphere, so whatever's generating it pretty much *has* to be at the center. According to the map, the center is at [location details here]. Can you please find out what's there? If it doesn't have an off switch, then please take some pictures".

This is the detail that irritates me the most. I really hope that someone will mention the center in the next episode.

More +
Flag
One more thing that hasn't been mentioned. When the boys found the man's legs with the dog, they saw a huge line of black smoke. However, we never see smoke in the scenes around the burning house, well maybe just a little bit but not even close.
This was so annoying. I'm not a person who notices mistakes easily but this show reminded me of Revolution when you cannot miss the mistakes even if you try. However, it's not nearly as bad as Revolution, well at least so far. Hope it gets better because I need something for the summer...
Flag
I found the premiere very intriguing, and of course the special effects helped considerably. So the second episode had less special effects, as well as dumb mistakes by the people stuck in the dome ― how many emergencies have we seen people NOT make the occasional dumb mistakes? I'm still intrigued by the show, and especially by all the complainers, when the alternative would be yet another reality show.
Flag
I've never read the book, and I'll never watch the show. But good luck to the rest of you. Not wasting my life on this.
Flag
I've never read the book, but my initial assumption after some people get the seizures is that the dome is actually a protection from a meteor-shower-apocalypse thing that is going to happen in the near future. Up to this point though, it's really disappointing. If Gone by Michael Grant is made into a show, it probably would be much much more interesting.
Flag
I don't think I could handle watching that girl being kept prisoner in that bunker for the entire series. That would really piss me off. I think the dad would be the type to support his psycho son, even after what he did to the girl. The son should be locked up to give him a taste of his own medicine. It was nice watching him getting his butt kicked.
Flag
Is anyone else bothered by the desperate PC-ness of this show that they have to include a GAY, MIXED RACE couple with an emo daughter, just to prove how modern and EDGY it's being? Rather than, I dunno, addressing real issues like how is this plot going to sustain itself and is there any thread of reality to what we're writing... I just wish I could sit in on a development meeting.
Flag
This episode was pretty terrible.
But I laughed SO MUCH when the fire happened. Clearly Duke's house was doused in accelerant from a previous incident.
Agree totally about the Angie/psycho no-necked guy storyline. Its DULL!
Was really disappointed in the lack of seisures this episode too, I mean what is the point in having psychic seisure kids if you don't utilise them every week?!
Also agree totally about the crazy cop, valid points were made, he just had to undermine everything he said by shooting at AN IMPENETRABLE DOME! And he managed to kill yet another law enforcement officer. So I guess the town is down to just one, sad-sack Linda. Awks for them, she is all kinds of useless!
I get the impression that no one has noticed Angie is gone cos Joe has been up all night seizing and maths-ing, and Aunt Zelda had no power in the cafe so it was closed? So Angie had no need for staff?
I am wondering why there aren't a load of people outside the Dome who aren't military. Like Angie and Joe's parents, wanting to get back in/ see that their kids havent been sliced in half like cheese?
That red head journo chick is a bit too conspiracy theorist about the military and government for my liking, although given recent revelations about the NSA maybe she is justified? I dunno, my government just let banking staff steal from us and condemn us to a future of austerity. NBD.

Anyhoo, I'm gonna give it one, maybe two more episodes to sort itself out, then I'm done. I'm disappointed, because it has a good enough cast and so much potential! Please TV writing staff/manatees, don't ruin yet another show that has promise!
More+
Flag
I am quite a fan of the show. I enjoyed the 1st 2 episodes but your review really make me laugh. They do appear as so stupid until you wrote it or perhaps I was just focusing too much on the DOME :-)
Flag
I felt asleep watching this, one more shitty episode and i'm out. We should've seen this from the begining, i mean we knew showtime rejected the show

Flag
Maybe the Dome is brain-sucking the residents of Who-Gives-A-Fuck. Actually, that would be a better premise than the current one, watching the collective IQ points drop each week.
Flag
So I was watching this episode and kept noticing things that were pretty bad but you know what I didn't hate it and maybe that's because I'm still riding on the high of the potential that the show introduced last week. Anyway it's probably more likely than not that everyone's right and that the show is about to become awful but I think all those who've decided to quit the show now are getting a bit ahead of themselves as the next episode might be completely different. I'll still be watching for a bit.
The general stupidity of the characters is annoying but my biggest concern is that it becomes a sort of 'situation drama' where they have dome-themed episodic obstacles to overcome each week and that becomes the reality of the show instead of what should be a much more interesting story of people battling against the dome itself.
I"d love the show to be about them doing everything they can to escape, working together, using pluck and ingenuity, continuing to work when all hope is gone, hopefully learning a thing or two about the dome in the process and then despairing, letting this earned despair tear the characters apart, the sort of character focus I would love to see. That's my vision, it might yet happen.
More+
Flag
They terranova'd it!!!
Highly interesting settings you cant wait to dig into and all they do is some sort of light weight conflicts about people I mostly don't care about. In the end someone dies who previously had 3 lines in 2 episodes. The cliffhanger is to find out his name? Since the 2nd episode is usually showing where it is going I predict an early cancellation.
Flag
This episode was the worst. Makes me want to quit the show. Unfortunately for me, I'm a slow learner... I'll watch for a while longer.

Junior is absolutely terrible. The Deputy kinda sucks too. The Reverend kicking the trash can was the stupidest thing I've ever seen. Was the kick supposed to be accidental, because the foot-acting totally made it seem purposeful... which would just make him a complete idiot. This was worse than Andrea kicking that stupid bucket-of-tools in TWD. I'd hate to be stuck in this town... unless I could find a bag of popcorn and watch these idiots kill us all.

Flag
So far it hasn't been as exciting as i had expected, but it's still an ok show.
I totally agree about the junior-angie story (and what makes it even worse is that brit robertson is completely wasted, she can act better than many of the non-captive characters, and i was hoping to see her out in the town interacting with them)
The only hope i have left is that in most of the Stephen King's books that i read there's a "weird" character who at first you dislike and then it gets fundamental for the story or at least quite interesting. But i haven't read this one so i don't know (and i don't want to know, so please let's keep this spoiler-free, thanks)
Flag
If you ever wondered whether or not the reviewers on this CBS-owned site were biased towards CBS shows, I think you have your answer. :)

Flag
Just wanted to point out that the Reverend supposedly acted the way he did because he was visibly high on something. At least according to Big Jim.
Flag
Perfect review! Mila Kunis joke really fell flat, I just couldn't stop rolling my eyes. The house fire scene felt like it was directly out of a Pink Panther movie, but without Sellers' brilliance. I would say every member of the police force was suffering from bad acting. And yet, the show is still not boring....Well, yet.
Flag
I read the book, actually made sure i finished it before the start of the series, and at this point I feel like abandoning it as they have changed/ dropped soo many characters, especially the main ones. Not to mention the major changes to the story line. Why, the book was okay, well written and tracked, ultimately a good story in human interaction. This tv series is just a waste of time and effort
Flag
I still wonder why Stephen King would allow the writers to do it when he is also the producer.
Flag
After a long discussion with another tv.com member I have come to one conclusion. There's two types of critics. Those that hear about the show and only find out later that it is based off of outside source material like a book. And those who have read the source material than learn that they're making a tv show out of it. The later are much harsher critics especially if they actually liked the original source material.
Flag
Tim explicitly said at the start of his review of the pilot that he hadn't read the book though.
I havent read a single Stephen King book, and I agree wholeheartedly with this review. This episode was shite!
Flag
Actually i liked second episode much better than the first one. However I still think that show is medicore at best.
That fire thing was funny as hell (was that inteded or happened by mistake?).
Yeah and Junior's character is like the most retarded character ever. But in some way I love it, he is so stupid that I really find it hilarious.
Flag
If only we could cancel it now, pretend it never happened, and get someone decent to take the premise and re-write from the start.
Flag
Enough people have commented on The Dome so I'll answer Tim: yes, I watched Siberia and I liked it enough to watch it again next week. It reminds me a bit of last summer's The River but I already like it better.
Flag
While nowhere near as dire as Terra Nova 'Under The Dome' certainly racks up the same number of irritatingly dumb moments and logical gaps per episode.
Dumb moments:
1. Intro narration stating the properties of the dome that the characters don't yet know nor have been discussed within the show.
2. No one seems to understand that a gun is ranged projectile weapon.
3. Leaving items with your name on them at crime scenes should be the last thing you are concerned about.
4. Finding a way to communicate with radio waves through the soundproof dome isn't worth mentioning or exploring.
5. A DJ with a captive audience (since phones, TV, radio & WIFI are all dead) would rather play music and spout patter than do anything useful.
6. People who suddenly develop seizures don't concern themselves with it or look for doctors.
7. A tennis ball is a more practical communication device than writing something on paper and thumb tacking it to the dome.
8. When kidnapped in a room full of metal items, and with hours of free reign, a small leather suitcase is your best weapon, rather than say.. a length of chain that magically appears.
9. Minor point but the paired doors to the bunker appear to be latched on the inside but the hinges exposed outside so in the event of someone wanting to break in they can unpin the hinges and on the inside unlatch the 2nd door.
10. On seeing a map that shows the dome probably goes over water, character shows zero interest and the mapper doesn't point it out or mention it to anyone.
11. Drug addled priests are adept pickpockets?
12. When there's been a single event where a small battery device exploded, instead of broadcasting a warning you tell a single guy with a JCB, even though cars that hit the dome have not exploded.
13. Overhearing a partial broadcast from a possibly military source is confirmation that no part of the government, military or corporate sector has anything to do with the dome.
14. When attacked by a madman an empty gun is not a useful way to threaten him.
15. The best way to destroy hidden evidence is: walking in the front door in broad daylight when you have keys to the entire house and you know for a fact it's empty, waste time looking for it only to set it on fire instead of taking it with you or simply to burn the house down. Note houses in this town are papered and painted with gasoline.
16. When not trapped in a burning house stand and then sit in the corner of a room until help arrives. Do not walk to one of the two doors and escape nor look to the window within arms reach of you. Despite this room being the epicentre of the fire it will be the least consumed with fire.
17. Single guys picnic at the roadside in sight of other peoples houses.
18. There are people who don't understand the word sieve.
19. Cops can magic trunks full of automatic weapons with no questions asked and their mental state is not an issue. While cautioning against panic accept the gun and take no ammo for it.
20. Despite 100 people standing and watching a single guy 10 feet closer to the building is the only one who can here the cries from inside.
21. Only major characters have ever seen a fire, understand it's dangers, can see it spreading to a fence or car and have ideas how to put one out. This includes the neighbours whose homes the fire might spread to.
22. Now many finally understand they are completely cut off in a dome (aside from water, radio waves and air?), because 2 characters know water under pressure can make it through they have no concerns about wasting water. Also has no one tried a faucet to see if there is a water supply? What happens to sewage?
23. If you are a trained policewoman you grab the metal doorknob of a burning house not once but twice more to see if it's still hot. Once inside grab another metal knob three times before again deciding it's too hot and breaking the door in. Special mention for digitally adding in some smoke to a burning room scene.. not very much but they at least showed more willing than most shows.
24. Neighbours have no idea the burning house has a propane tank attached or think to mention it. But since it produces zero shrapnel on exploding it hardly matters.
25. The special effect for the smoke rising up and defining the shape of the dome is too expensive and interesting to show.
26. It's worth taking the time to walk up 3 steps of a pool ladder to scoop water out with a very small bucket when time is a factor.
27. A POV view from inside a mobile phone makes a line of people scene exciting.. this gets a pass if he actually recorded something that proves useful later.
28. When you are a slight young woman chained to a bed, surrounded by potential metal leverage items and tools, brute strength is your only option and again a weapon is the last thing you need concern yourself with. It's only been 24 hours but he could have left her a bucket.
29. Continue to spray precious water on a non smoldering house.
30. When concerned about being linked to a murder and have been extremely cautious about revealing your full name.. have it on full display around your neck. Also don't return to your car that also probably has other documents with your name on them.
31. When lying about a lost item its best to be specific about where you found it in a strangers house instead of just saying on the floor or outside somewhere.
32. As a cop you are not at all concerned, annoyed or suspicious that a property you inherited less than 5 hours previously has burnt to the ground. But props to the priest for coming up with a good excuse on the spot.
33. Talk about deputizing people to keep law and order the day before but forget about it, especially after the chief dies.
34. Cop fires gun at solders on guard, behind an anomaly they'd not seen until the day before, and they don't react at all. For that matter what were the 3 soldiers stationed specifically there to guard? The tree or those 2 bollards?
Misc notes.
Cigarettes and not food & water is the currency of the future, So buy 3 packs.
That cop was the first one to try to shoot the dome? In rural America?
Note that in an emergency people do not riot, panic, loot or stockpile food and water at all.
Also authorities don't muster a town meeting, organise emergency fire-fighting & policing, use the radio station regularly (the only form of mass communication available) to inform the people.. despite using it once for that purpose.
Police stations and cabinets in them are left unlocked when empty and dealing with an emergency... can only assume they leave the cells, gun and evidence cages open too.
Do or do not do the police walkie-talkies still work? The female cop apparently uses hers to call for help. But she thinks that battery items explode near the dome so why didn't Jeff Fahey's one explode? Or are his watch and walkie-talkie both wind up's too. Why not throw a watch at the dome and see if her wild stab in the dark is right?
I assume as the walkie-talkies are self contained with a transmitter at the station so they should still work but theres no one at the station manning the base.
With no outside power and being initially concerned with preserving power the restaurant has lots of random lights switched on during a bright sunny day. Same goes for the police station, radio station and every ones home and business it seems.
People with missing loved ones, inside or outside the dome are not concerned with creating a wall of messages to try to communicate that they are okay.
A dog that hasn't eaten in 24 hours stands by 2 juicy leg bones all night?
More+
Flag
Yeah we got ultra nerdy in our critique of this disaster but to be fair it was the only way we cold get through a 2nd watch... and it provided more laughs and entertainment than the show obviously aimed for.
Flag
Yes, well said. Another show with a brilliant premise ruined by terrible writing and / or trying too hard to be a soap opera and getting quick and easy drama, rather than letting the story build from the premise.
Flag
Wow...just wow. Go outside.
Flag
Everything covered!
This show is a comedy, right?
Flag
I'm sorry, but this show is just f'n terrible. If they stretch it out past this year, I'm gonna laugh--then cry--then laugh again....holy shit...just terrible.
Flag
Same here! This "show" is really a big kick in the crotch for people (like me) who hoped for more.
Flag
I'm so glad this show sucks. The source material isn't any better. It's high school level writing dumbed down for the general American audience. Welcome to Revolution and The Following with an aluminum hat.
Flag
Why don't you shut your mouth or I'll shut it for you.

I mean, I'm kidding, obviously, but Stephen King is a much better writer than he gets credit for. Which of his books have you read?
Flag
All the classics. But in the past 15 - 20 years, I haven't really been interested in his writing. Maybe my tastes changed...but he claims to write to the characters. Under the Dome does not do this like The Shining or It did.
Flag
I have the exact same feelings. I read most of SK's novels as a teenager but now I guess my tastes have changed. I read Under the Dome and I found it cliched and sometimes ridiculous. The TV show only magnifies what's wrong with the book (interestingly the character changes from the book are for the better but the action changes are for the worse)
Flag
The book was pretty bad, I didn't have high hopes for the show. It's not terrible... yet.
Flag
I'm really surprised they didn't just make this into a movie, which seems like it would be the obvious choice. Either way, I'm enjoying it, if not because of the sheer ridiculousness, then because there isn't much else on these days.

I thought it was interesting that they were presented with a challenge (putting out a fire) that no one would've normally known how to handle and they had to experience the long term effects of the dome: living cut off from civilization, so to speak.

Personally I'd think they would want to start digging wells or trying to find a water source or figuring out how they're going to sustain the food supply. Oh and start making candles people, your propane supply isn't going to last forever.
Flag
My god.. just as I thought no one could top Revolution this show reveals its stupid face. Well at least we have Tims reviews to entertain us.
Flag
My biggest problem with the whole Reverend / burnin' down the house thing was not that he was drugged up and stupid enough to do it in the first place. It was that, several minutes later when people started arriving and the entire house was already completely engulfed in flames, the room in which he started the fire was largely unburned and he was still alive calling for help! If the fire and heat didn't get him, the smoke inhalation would have.
Flag
I thought so too! Logic seems to have been trapped outside the dome...
Flag
Stop making sense, just stop it!
Flag
lol
Flag
the brother in law was just trying to calm Linda down when he told her about the honeymoon.
she was def. better in CSI NY where she wasn't really a lead.

Flag
She can't act. I'ts actually hard to watch her try...
Flag
i think junior has always been a little off thats why she said something in the 1st ep like...i know you, that why i cant be with you...and why she doesnt love him.
maybe because she knows he's mental, but that doesn't explain why they were boning in their first scene.

Flag
They were probably boning in the first place because she couldn't find anyone else to bone. The show hasn't introduced any other eligible men around her age other than Barbie and she only just met him. I'm sure that when she gets out that she'll probably try jumping Barbie's bones...
Flag
yeah, he's a lucky dude...he'll have a blonde & a red head. he's probably glad he got stuck in the dome, since every time he turns around there is a hot chick trying to get with him. hah
Flag
Yeah until he gets tired of them and figures out there's no more hot chicks in the town. lol
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:00 pm
    Hunted Poking the Bear
    NEW
    CBS
  •  
    Blindspot Draw O Caesar, Erase a Coward
    NEW
    NBC