We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

An Under the Dome Community
CBS (ended 2015)

Under the Dome S01E08: "Thicker Than Water"

At this point in Under the Dome's first season (there will be another, for better worse or much, much worse), it's pointless and repetitive to compare the show to the rest of television because it will never leave the kids' table. All we can really do is put it side by side with itself and judge it on its own. And you know what? In that context, "Thicker Than Water" deserved an "Atta boy!" and a pat on the back, because it was a much more tolerable episode than what we saw earlier in the season, continuing the momentum I started to feel last week.

We've arrived at a place where episodes don't just center on some made-up catastrophe (goodbye, meningitis!), and the ongoing problems the townspeople are facing are building up instead of being swept off the shelf at the end of each week so the show can reset itself and move on to the next problem (hello, meningitis!). What's more, the idea that the dome may be a permanent fixture is truly starting to sink in for the residents of Chester's Mill, which is finally closing the gap between their mentality and ours because we all know the dome isn't going anywhere until the show's ad revenue dries up. These tiny adjustments are making Under the Dome a much more competent show that's not nearly as embarrassing as it used to be, so now all we have to make fun of with a wink and a poke is the dialogue, acting, the character actions, and the overall writing. This is what crawling out of a hole feels like, people! But now I'm wondering if I even want the series to improve, because I've been enjoying its ridiculousness as a passable way to spend Monday nights. For me, bad TV is more fun to watch than mediocre TV.

Three major plots moved forward in "Thicker Than Water": the attack on Farmer Ollie's water hole, the mourning of dead Dr. Alice, and whatever the F that egg was. We'll start with Big Jim assaulting Rancho de Ollie, because that's the story that had the most guns. It's interesting that Under the Dome revisited a problem that it'd already addressed—a water shortage—only eight episodes into its maiden voyage, but there we were again, talkin' 'bout being thirsty. 

You'll recall that in "The Endless Thirst," the town's collective pair of panties rode up real high and grandmas were clubbing each other over the head for a few Snickers bars and Aquafinas, and then the dome intervened with a rain storm, sending everybody home happy with a garbage can full of the dome's tears. At that point it wasn't clear whether the water shortage was fixed; the episode sure made it seem like the drought was over, but common sense, the natural enemy of Under the Dome, told us that the rainwater wouldn't last too long. So it was logical for "Thicker Than Water" to bring back the parched throats and dried-up veggies. But really, it was all an excuse to kill Farmer Ollie and put the black hat back on Big Jim's dome. Where it belongs! And also it was an excuse to give Junior some wacky shit to do because that guy is crazytown banana pants to the maxx.

Big Jim's initial chat with Farmer Ollie went something like, "Fuck you, Jim," because Farmer Ollie had it in his head that he who controls the water also controls the town, and Farmer Ollie wanted a slice of that pie. But my question is, WHY? Who really wants to be in charge of a mess of a town like Chester's Mill? Even Game of Thrones' Petyr "Littlefinger" Baelish was like, "Ummm, thanks but..." concerning a lordship at Harrenhal, and that place had a cool spooky castle! Chester's Mill has an abandoned cement factory, a population full of jittery, hungry, gun-toting hicks, and half the police force is Junior! Even the mayor of Detroit is laughing at Big Jim and Farmer Ollie fighting over control of a place with no food, no water, and no hope. But yeah, these boys both wanted power and their battle wouldn't end until Junior shot one of them dead. 

A second round of chit-chat between Big Jim and Farmer Ollie involved more guns and one poor rent-a-cop sap named Carter, who was so obviously going to end up getting shot by the farmers that he may as well have been wearing a bullseye or an Obama/Biden 2012 campaign sign. See, the farmers countered Big Jim's idea of "eminent domain" and the town's right to seize property with a better solution: lots of dudes with guns. Junior—who was on the scene unarmed because Linda finally figured out that providing a mentally ill maniac with a weapon was a bad idea—totally switched sides and betrayed his dad because he was still sad that Big Jim had kicked him out of the house earlier in the episode. Bad Junior! And totally embarrassing for Big Jim, who had to run home with his tail between his legs.

When talking with Ollie didn't work, Big Jim decided that his best option was to come back with even more guys and have an old-fashioned shootout, because more is always better and what could go wrong? Barbie had a more subtle idea: Blow up the well with lots of homemade explosives, and hope that the water diverted to other accessible water supplies. Sound plans all around, guys. Great job. So Big Jim went back to Farmer Ollie's crib, with DJ Phil (remember him?) as part of the posse. It'd been a long time since we'd seen Phil and he needed something to do, so why not hand him a gun and ask him to fight some farmers? Well, Phil got shot during the clumsy assault on Farmer Ollie's ranch, but Barbie destroyed the well and then everyone decided to cease fire immediately. However, that didn't stop Junior from crackin' his dad's face with the butt of his GIANT shotgun (yes, someone—Farmer Ollie—handed Junior another huge gun in this episode) and taking Jim prisoner so they could work out some issues. 

Now's probably a good time to mention that Big Jim had lied to Junior about how Junior's mother died, even though it means nothing. Big Jim said she died in a car accident, but Farmer Ollie hit Junior with the truth: It was suicide! Admit it, if Junior was your son, you'd off yourself, too. The details aren't important because the story was just a way to put Junior between Ollie and Jim, and after Big Jim cried his eyes out, peed his pants, and admitted the truth while his son held him at gunpoint, the title of the episode finally made sense. Family! It's family that's "Thicker Than Water"! Mind exploded (from the gun I stuck in my mouth). Junior chose family over water and shot Farmer Ollie dead because Farmer Ollie was going to shoot Big Jim dead. And that, kids, is why you don't give Junior a gun.

Anyway, the water was restored and the water crisis was averted again, this time thanks to guns and bombs and not the divine intervention of the dome. But all was not well between Big Jim and regular-sized Barbie! Barbie accused Big Jim of wanting Ollie's well for power, and the two said macho things to each other along the lines of, "I don't like you!" There's your conflict for the rest of the season.

Much less exciting was Norrie's sadness over her mom's death. Over the course of the episode, she blamed Joe, she blamed her mom, and then she blamed herself as she moped around the house and made herself feel right at home. She kicked Joe out of his own living room and laid around Angie's room like it was her own. What a rude guest! And where was Carolyn this week? According to Angie, she just plopped down in the room next to Alice's corpse, waiting to bury it. That left Norrie to process her mom's death all by herself, and of course she was going to lash out against everyone. Looks like Carolyn is already saying, "Not my kid, not my problem." There's a point for conservative groups. 

Fortunately, Angie can be a pretty cool chick when she isn't locked in an underground bunker. Angie cared for Norrie and the two connected over a slightly corny but also slightly charming scene in which they threw Angie's snowglobes-from-around-the-world collection at the dome in an overload of metaphors. Angie won't be going to those places anymore, Norrie's home of Los Angeles is but a shattered and wet memory, and snowglobes = domes. Hey, this show has done a lot worse, and for once Angie smiled! (By the way, nice arms on both of those girls! Let's get that Chester's Mill Women's Baseball League started up now!)

Okay enough about relationships! Let's get to the dome! While Norrie was mad at Joe, Joe decided to put some moves on Julia (not really, but he had to have been thinking about it because he's hornier than a young buck), and he had an in because he's the worst secret-keeper in the world. Joe's diarrhea mouth accidentally slipped the news about the egg to Julia for no goddamn reason, and then both of them went out into the woods to look at it and poke it. Julia put her hands on the egg and saw a Joe-ghost saying, "The monarch will be crowned." And it was only after Julia touched the dome that Joe told Julia how, the last time he'd touched the dome, someone died. Nice timing, Joe! Despite his awesome math skills, sometimes I think Joe might have been kicked in the head a few times when he was a baby. If he and Norrie have a kid, it should be able to tie its own shoes by the time it's 37 years old.

Anyway, for the episode's grand finale, people pondered what "The monarch will be crowned" meant and the camera swooped around to show that Angie had a Monarch Butterfly tattoo on her shoulder. I guess Angie is going to be the queen of all dome aliens or something? Or Chester's Mill Water Festival Princess? Or Miss Dome 2013? I'm not sure. And from what I understand, this marks a big departure from what happened in the book, where Angie's character takes a much different path. 

"Thicker Than Water" may have been one of Under the Dome's better episodes, but it wasn't as fun or exciting as last week's "Imperfect Circles" and that worries me. I might sound crazy, but the better the show gets, the less enjoyable it will be. For me, at least. The show has too far to go to actually be any good, and there's no way it'll ever get there, but if it plays its cards right it can be an entertaining guilty pleasure with goofy teen stories to make fun of, a central mystery that keeps us coming back each week, and ridiculous power struggles for a town that's a total mess. The needle has moved all over the place in the series' first eight episodes but I think the best we can hope for is mindless fun that we can laugh at. That's what I want from the show. More episodes like "Thicker Than Water," which was decent but not that interesting, and we'll be dangerously close to just another forgettable summer series. 

ADDEN-DOMES

– One problem with the show getting better is that it doesn't provide as much fodder for .GIFs and captions. I'm seriously disappointed.

– Why didn't everyone just bow down or perform a rain dance before the Dome God to get another sprinkle? Have we already lost faith in the dome as a supreme being that's worthy of worship? Where is my dome cult!?!? I would have started a dome cult so fast, I already had purple robes picked out and everything.

– Junior said it was his plan all along to be a Trojan Horse and destroy Farmer Ollie's gang from the inside. Now, on the surface, that sounds really dumb and obviously it isn't true. But isn't that exactly what an idiot like Junior would say? I would have also accepted, "I meant to do that." That might be the show's best character-defining moment to date.

– Big Jim's big idea to keep Angie safe from Junior was to kick the kid out of the house, where Jim couldn't keep an eye on him? If I were a hormone-powered lunatic and I had an obsession with some blonde and I got kicked out of the house, guess what I'd do? Yep, be that blonde's worst nightmare. 

– Joe, just admit that Norrie is your girlfriend. You wanted to dome-bone her, that's true love.

– Why would Joe be drawing the mini-dome and the egg? Seriously. That's like me drawing a picture of the dead hooker I buried in the des—NEVER MIND!

– It's really great that Angie wants to honor Rose by reopening the diner, but what is she going to sell? Homemade conversation?

– Farmer Ollie: "They're gonna drum you out faster than a knife fight in a phone booth." YES! More of these fake-sounding-but-true rural colloquialisms please!

– Now that Phil's hurt, is Dodee in charge of the radio station? She's probably getting the town all depressed by playing Sarah MacLachlan or something boring instead of spinning mind-melting psych jamz.

– One big problem with this episode: No Ben! Another big problem: No Dodee! And now we'll never have Reverend Arson or Farmer Ollie back! Thankfully, Junior carries enough weight, and he isn't going anywhere. But bring back BEN, PLEASE!

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 9/10/2015

Season 3 : Episode 13

275 Comments
Comments (275)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Honestly, all in all I agree with your review, but for the love of God I hope they don't bring Ben back! He's the most frustrating character ever! Only thing he does is messes with everybody else's business. He's the plus one to the plus one, he has no place anywhere. Plus he acts like he's retarded. At least the other ones give the impression they try to think their every move, but this guy is plain stupid.
Sorry, I don't mean to be offensive towards you or your review, I like your articles, but I simply can't see any reason for which someone would want that bastard Ben back.
Flag
The monarch will be crowned!!.....My response....... *DOMEFACE!!!! (That's my copyright*) The last 2 episodes have shown an improved sense of mystery.Focus on what the dome is and this show becomes interesting.Go back to the Dome Opera and you get characters throwing snow globes at the damn thing!! Yes i continue to watch (why... i ask myself!!) Something to make you say hmmm *If they continue to kill off characters at this rate they will have no majors ones left for S2.. Maybe they will pull a Lost and have 5 background characters come forward act like they've been at every major EVENT!!..(don't get me started) Later Domers!!
Flag

Monarch butterflies are pissed off at the Dome, too!
Flag
By virtue of its development from larva to caterpillar to butterfly, the Monarch butterfly with its delicate beauty has been a universal symbol of reincarnation and transcendent transformation.
This is similar to the symbolic meanings of eggs, as representation of the cycle of life, and in ancient eastern religions, the renewal of nature in Spring- references to Easter, Passover and Ramadan are clearly along those lines.
If we accept that perspective, then whoever is behind the placement of the Dome; aliens or otherwise, the aims are clearly to examine whether the transformation of humanity is possible, into an elevated form of itself. If we want to be more optimistic , maybe it is the actually such transformation that is under way. If I were a superior alien civilization; with enough advancement to have the Black egg technology, I would want to submit an average specimen of humanity to some rite of passage if it should even be included in a Galactic Federation.
Clearly, the dome did not travel light years from wherever in the galaxy as is; it would be easier to consider the Black Egg as the its origin, a kind of "solidified hologram". Also, it would be interesting to consider if the similarity between Dome and Black Egg could mean that in effect the Dome is the iceberg top of an egg structure that goes deep into the soil.
Clearly, if that is the case, then the implication is transformation is first a political one. It means that individually, human beings cannot change by themselves and this change can only be forced upon by the social environment. All that talk of "we're all in it together" sounds like common sense but in effect it describes a society that has to be persuaded that evolution and common well-fare is a necessity in spite of the inherent impulse to look after number one. This is a terrible conclusion of what we are worth as a species, that survival is not a natural derivative of altruism.
In science fiction terms, what we have here lies within the tradition of the generational spaceship.The idea is as old as the conception of spaceships as it was already described its founding father, Konstantin Tsiolkovsky. The view is that a spaceship in a situation of the limitations of the speed of light has to consider an environment whereas a succession of generations would follow, living within the limited confines it defines until the final destitnation is reached. To alleviate this problem cryonics was envisioned, but clearly this is not the case here.
We are here in exactly what the first famous story published by Robert Heinlein in 1941 titled "Universe" describes. The crew of a generational spaceship have forgotten their environment and a rigid, highly stratified political/social organization, until the hero has a conceptual breakthrough and discovers the truth. The concept also examined the idea of the spaceship as a surrogate mother figure, and Philip K Dick examined the possibilities of false realities bestowed upon suspended animated astronauts linked to a vast computer.
If we choose to see the Dome under that light, the path towards the conceptual breakthrough, then this might turn out to be a very interesting journey.
More+
Flag
I'm surprised the show's improving, maybe there's hope.
Flag
I lasted 4 episodes. Terrible show. The two mommies made me gag.
Flag
Because of the mediocrity and clichés, or because they were two mommies?
Flag
I think this is one of the best shows ever shown on TV. All the characters are totally believable and behave much like any small town folk would if a dome came down on them. I hope this show runs forever and if I could get in I would go and live amongst them in Chester's Mill.
Flag
Troll
Flag
The "monarch" will actually turn out to be Stephen King. He'll be crowned after he mysteriously shows up and makes everything make more sense.
Flag
I worked on a farm for a few years, but that was over a quarter century ago, so maybe farming techniques have changed over the years. But, can someone please explain to me why farmer Ollie would need to use blasting caps during planting season? That's the most ridiculous line I've heard on TV in a while.
Flag
In some places the ground can be really hard or not deep enough for crops so the places where they want to plant will be blown up to break up the soil. Its usually done for trees or deep root plants in new fields and I don't think it wouldn't normally be used every year in fields that are regularly sown.

They could probably have used something more realistic though like a fuse.
Flag
Thank you! I was like WTF ... ammonium nitrate sure... but "oh he's a farmer, he should have BLASTING CAPS?!?!?" does he plant his crops in granite or something. I felt like they just said "say that line really fast and the majority of our audience will take it at face value ... cause hey, they're watching this show, they cant be THAT smart"
Flag
One of my favourite episode so far. Monarch ? I think is Angie. With her tatto is like butterflies were looking up for her.
Flag
We can only hope they crown the butterfly as the ruler of Chester's Mill, it would be an improvement.
Flag
Gee the fact they opened the episode with a close-up and camera follow on a monarch butterfly couldn't relate at all either I bet ... I guess someone writing for this show remembered their 8th grade English lesson about foreshadowing ... sigh, just sigh.
Flag
yup that's the monarch butterfly tattooed at the back of her shoulder
Flag
It seemed kind of rainbowy for a Monarch.
Flag
I really really really wanna join your dome cult. I'll even wear the pink robe and everything.
Flag
At least the "dome " can't jump the shark (snickering).
Flag
This show......well....see my screen name.

But Tim, I think you're wrong about one thing. This show is plenty bad. It's bad enough that I keep watching it every week, and most shows aren't bad enough to keep me coming back. It was actually last week's episode that I thought put the show in danger of becoming mediocre. This week we were back to be treated with Dome's usual lameness. Good GAWD I hate network TV dramas.
Flag
Good point. Think about if breaking bad pulled an episode like this it would be labeled as the worst episode by far of the entire series. This episode of under the dumb was probably the best of the series but don't be fooled into labeling it as good. If you look closer the show is just as crappy as it ever was. The contrast of these particular two shows is huge. But to be fair at least its not boring.
Flag
Under The "Dumb".
Flag
Lolz....I approve this message
Flag
Aliens dropped the dome as an experiment, like an ant farm. Purple Egg is how they record goings on inside the dome. Crazy Junior knew it was coming, and made a deal for Angie to be Queen of the Dome. That's why he was so worried about protecting her. He freaked out seeing her with Barbie, and thought he was losing his chance to be King of the Dome.

The only time he seemed the least bit interested in that giant thing trapping them, was when he made that random underground trip with Julia. Even then it seemed more like he was going for a walk, and never really put any actual effort into finding a way out.
Flag
I fully agree; "bad TV is more fun to watch than mediocre TV"
Flag
x Eleventy
Flag
Has anybody considered the fact that Angie might actually be dead? I scrolled down a lot, but nobody seems to mention this. We've already seen that the Dome likes to impersonate. Would it be too far of a stretch that she died before, in the shelter, in the woods, in the diner and that the Dome somehow took her place? Ergo, she'd be the queen. I've not read the book but I know from hearsay how her story plays out, maybe she's the focus for the same reasons. Maybe that's why she was isolated in the beginning....just saying...
Flag
She isn't really even a character in the book. She is gone by page 25 or so of an 1100 page book.
Flag
In case it wasn't stablished before, the writers of the show are quite... special.
Flag
That was my point, her character was gone very early on, so maybe they've gone along the same lines, but mixed it up a little, ergo, real Angie is dead, and this is an imposter, like I said, I've not read the book, I just knew she didn't survive long! Lol
Flag
she has a dome face, they could totally make it work
Flag
I just think it could be a good tist, because she interacts so well and because she's at the heart of one of the important families and ebcause her brother also has a link to the dome.
Flag
Unfortunately nothing they come up with is actually going to make any sense, or be anything we can even consider good. The best we can hope for is something so ridiculous it is entertaining.
Flag
Can't wait for the Dark Tower mini-series (hopefully series) coming somtime soon to an HBO near you.
Flag
"Bad TV is more fun to watch than mediocre TV"

I don't feel nearly as dirty or as guilty any more.
Flag
I'd argue Bad TV is more fun to watch then good TV.
There's only so many ways to say, "Good writing, good acting." But there are an infinite number of ways that writers, producers, actors, and directors can muck up a show.
Flag
It probably goes great TV>bad tv>good tv>mediocre tv. A great show is one you get really excited to watch because of how good it is. Bad tv is fun to laugh at. Good tv is just not bad or mediocre tv but you forget about it after you watch it. And mediocre tv just makes you sad its not better.
Flag
Carter definitely should have been wearing a red shirt.
I thought that Olly was the guy who play Ernest in the Ernest movies. (Jim Varney). And I was like, didn't he die? Yes he did. the dome did not bring him back to life. I got sad all over again.
Flag
Come on Tim ... I didn't spill my drink even once during this review, you can do better :)
Flag
angie is so FINE. i loved her little hop when she threw. ha.

Flag
If you follow Angy's (Britt Roberston) Storyline you can see how stupid the writers think we are.
What does it take for Angy to take a shower and change clothes?
She had sex with Junior, she went to work, she was captured for days and trapped in a flooding fall out shelter, after days of struggling she got out, went home in order to not change her clothes to witness the bomb blast with crazy ex boyfriend who just held her hostage. No time for a shower or changing clothes which must stink by now. She gets knocked unconscious and almost raped, Big Jim gives her a shirt of WHOEVER which she wears proudly and instead of going home to clean up at least Juniors DNA inside of her and change the jeans she is wearing since the pilot she goes to the diner to clean up the mess. Instead of going home now and change her clothes and wash the stinking smell of herself she is doing lot's of other little things...
Angy is kinda hot but with this questionable hygiene she is not a keeper (unless you make her stay in a fall out shelter)
More+
Flag
she is hot, so she is forgiven. :)
Flag
this show is so bad but you can't stop watching it to see what happens....
Flag
Amen
Flag
LOL Tim, you are killing me with these reviews.By the way they are so much better than the actual show.
Flag
I actually thought last night's episode has been the best episode of Under The Dome so far!
Flag
Second best, IMO. I'd consider the first one the best.
Flag
Why am I still watching this show ? Because, after reading the book that was, if possible, even worse, I want to see where it goes.
As for blowing up the well, it wouldn't have worked : cutting the waterflow before it divides to go to the other wells may have worked. I guess the writers were too lazy to think of that... They should have had a chat with the writers of Prison Break ...
Flag
I'm caught in that same spell.
Flag
You know, many of us here really and truly do owe UtD big for one thing: Keeping Tim's snark skills honed to perfection until the Revolution reviews resume in the fall. I really miss those and am glad that something this bad unexpectedly came along to bridge that dome, er, gap.
Flag
Amen to that.
Flag
Hell yes! can`t wait for Revolution! and The Following!
Flag
The show is pretty awful in every respect, and yet I keep watching it.
Flag
I have to admit that comparatively, this episode didn't suck, and is thus the greatest episode to date. I could go on all day about the bad, and the ridiculously stupid (FFS Ben, get a frickin' bike), but it just doesn't feel worth it here. Ben's stupid friend wasn't here this week, but chubby smart chick from the radio show wasn't, either, so that was kind of a wash. Actually, I'd give her up if it meant Ben's idiot friend would go with her.

Bottom line: I quit Revolution after four shows, and I'm still watching this one. Yaay? Whatever.
Flag
4 episodes of Revolution? You are an eternal optimist ;)
Flag
See? Was I not merciful?
Flag
Ok, I don't care if this show makes sense or not. It entertains me, makes me say: Junior with a gun, again... cool, and let's me judge poor decision making. Oh! I almost forgot the most important part makes me guess along the whole episode who will die. Gotta admit I wasn't surprised about Farmer Ollie he had to go cause Big Jim is way to awesome to die in that way and cause Junior had to do something crazy.
Flag
Gee Tim it took 8 episodes to realize the Mackenzie and Brittany are awesome!!!
Flag
It took eight episodes to bring them together.

And that's one of those other flaws with the show. Here's what the writers were thinking: let's introduce one of the main characters, a relatively spunky reasonable character played by a relatively talented actress, who interacts well with other actors and has some charisma when doing nice/friendly scenes... and lock them up in near-isolation for three episodes. (Maybe it was more or less - it sure seemed like forever.) And then keep her away from the other nice/friendly characters for another episode or two.

If you were that actress, would you have wanted to spend seven episodes spinning your wheels and interacting with a) a power-hungry tyrant, b) a psycho boyfriend, c) some punk on a skateboard, d) Rusty the Water Pipe, and e) two redneck rapists?
Flag
this show has the best not-good acting on televsion. So bad i will continue to watch.
Flag
At night, I'm haunted by Norrie's forehead.
Flag
Talk about your Domes...
Flag
Also, why hasn't the military been back. Certainly they know that the MOAB was ineffective. Shouldn't they be back to try to figure it out, establish some sort of communication with those in the dome so that they can relay what Joey, Norrie and now Julia know about the Dome. Or have they just written it off? Or figure that those in the Dome are going to eventually go all "Lord of the Flies" on each other and kill off everyone.
Flag
Because they made another change from the novel. In the novel, people could talk through the Dome and send radio and Internet both ways. It made for some interesting interactions. Watching a soldier sit on one side and watch a man slowly die of poison air, desperately trying to force air through the Dome to him, was a fairly moving/horrifying series of scenes.

In the TV show, nothing. From a writing standpoint, the military don't come back because there's no interaction for them to do once they do come back. Other then awkwardly communicate through written notes and product-placement tablets.
Flag
Haha! Had the same thought, I guess they just drop a MOAB and assumed any problems would resolve themselves. I imagine that first conversation with the Dome-ians would be awkward; "You mean you didn't get the text about us blowing the Dome up? Whew good thing it didn't work then, so anyway, you guys got any Dome info on your end...."
Flag
Another great ridiculous mess otherwise know as Under The Dome.

It seems the writing staff will do the complete opposite of what normal people will do in any given situation. Because let's face it, chaos is fun and stability sucks. However things are getting rather ridiculous.

A couple of things they really need to set straight as soon as possible, but they won't. And I won't name them all, because let's face it, I would basically write cancel this show asap. Let's focus on sheriff, barbie and junior.

Junior should be in jail for real, seriously he is sleeping in one already so it would be easy to just lock the damn thing. He is a newly deputized nutjob who executed a guy (who you don't fire or prosecute because you desperately need deputies and as long as he doesn't carry a gun it's ok????), whose dad threw him out of the house for being crazy (something you might want to mention Big Jim to your incompetent sheriff), switches sides during a standoff and then kills another person. Let's keep him on...he'll probably won't kill everybody in town..

Sheriff, tell Barbie to get deputized or get the f*#! out. He wants to help but doesn't want to make it official? Why not? Your stuck under a dome and being deputized helps you doing your helping. Also his military experience could help him train new deputies, just an idea.... And Big Jim, if a former soldier has something to say about a raid on a farm, listening couldn't hurt.

I don't know where Barbie went to science school, but obviously the writers went to the same school. I'm pretty damn sure that blowing up a pump does nothing more than cutting of your water supply. Blowing up a dam will divert where the water will flow to. So back to school kids and take some decent writing classes while your at it...

More+
Flag
Dave Bing. The basketball player. Mayor of Detroit.
Flag
I don't have much to say about this one. Same amount of stupidity as usual. I guess it was a bit more enjoyable than most others, though.
Flag
Just a couple of quick thoughts.

1. Junior pumping that shotgun three times and not once did a round come back out of the chamber . . . oops.

2. What's the big deal about the butterfly tattoo on that broads shoulder? Despite that manure munching grin that was developing on her face, it isn't a Monarch tattoo. I guess that is oops number 2?

3. When that wellhead was blown, an artesian well would still be pumping water straight into the air. I guess it all ran to the lake from there. Is that oops number 3?

There are many more "oopses", but these are the first three that came to mind. Some of you think the show is getting better, but I think this one was pretty bad.

X
Flag
About oops nuber 2 : I didn't look closely at the tatoo but a Monarch is a species of butterfly.
That was for oops number 2 : for the hundreds of oopses left, I can't help you.
Flag
I wondered about that so before I posted I googled monarch butterfly and there was not a single picture of a rainbow colored monarch butterfly like the tattoo. Every one was the well known black/orange color.
Flag
True. I must admit, I didn't pay much attention to the butterfly tatoo ; I hadn't seen it was a rainbow colored one.
Maybe the writers / creators didn't pay attention either about the color of the monarch butterfly. Seeing the quality of the show, a mistake like that wouldn't suprise me.
Flag
I saw the tattoo as an orange/black butterfly O.O AM I COLOR BLIND?!
Flag
Not as embarrassing as it used to be? Ever think you're just an impatient idiot who has absolutely no solid grasp of plot/character development? What are we 9 episodes into this? That's like picking up a book and ditching it a few chapters in because your tiny mouse brain can't comprehend whats going on. Also, yes, I consistently attack all of your articles and I will continue to do so until someone realizes you are TV.com's equivalent to Glenn Beck. Sure you bring in the ratings, but for alllllll the wrong reasons. Your articles may be funny but they are completely void of logic or competent thought.
Flag
FYI, it might just be "logic or competent thought," but the way to get Tim canned (if that's what you want to do) would be to contact his superiors. They don't read the community pages, although they appreciate the hits you generate by posting there.
If you're just trying to get someone to realize something... how will you know when you succeed?
Otherwise, you say you'll keep attacking Tim until someone realizes he's TV.com's equivalent of Glenn Beck. Great: I'm someone, and I officially declare that I realize that he's TV.com's equivalent of Glenn Beck. Logically, if you say you're going to attack until someone realizes it, and someone realizes it, you should stop attacking.
Meanwhile, if you want to actually discuss the show, join on in!
Flag
I don't believe Tim cries like Glenn Beck. I'm pretty sure Jen is reading this right now. Also pretty sure she's already made up her mind that a controversial author isn't a bad thing.
Flag
Well, I don't think Jen is Tim's boss. They're different departments.
But as always, I look forward to Patrick or anyone else actually providing specifics (or even a review!) about what they do like.
Flag
What a completely weird side tangent to be debating, but she's the managing editor at tv.com and he writes for tv.com. Am I missing something? I thought I even remembered him referring to her as such once.
Flag
It's also kind of funny criticizing someone for being impatient. Direct that criticism to the writers: they had to slap down the Dome within the first 15 minutes of the first episode. As I noted elsewhere, they spend pretty much no time showing us what these people were like pre-Dome... so why should we care what they turn into post-Dome?

Instead of taking one episode to show us what these people were like pre-Dome, we had to have the outbreak episode that gets solved the same episode it's introduced. And the water-shortage problem that gets solved the same episode it's introduced. And the fire episode that gets solved the same episode it's introduced.

Yes, King starts the novel with the bang. King was writing: he can do flashbacks and inner monologues to flesh out the characters' past. But if the producers are going to scrap the novel for spare parts anyway, why not slow it down. Instead of, as you say, be impatient idiots.
Flag
I like your thinking.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Don't worry, your reaction is quite just since Tim is only writing these articles to consistently screw with you.
Flag
A few chapters? 9/13? That's 70% of the original order that was supposed to be the only order.
Flag
This show was never going to be 1 season. The pacing proves that. All the episodes were filmed before this thing even came on the air. Obviously if the show had done poor in the ratings it would have ended after season 1 but we would be getting the same product regardless.
Flag
Right, and given the reasonable assumption it could have done poorly in the ratings, we've seen 70% of that product. Even if we assume 2 seasons, 35%, or in other terms: a hell of a lot more than a few chapters.
Flag
Are we watching different shows? I feel the majority opinion of the show is that there is no good plot, zero character development, and extremely poor writing. It continues to blow my mind that it has as high of ratings as it does.
Flag
So....majority opinion is that the show sucks....but you acknowledge the high ratings. Look I'll be the first to say this is by NO means the "smartest" show on television, and sometimes you scream at the Television when characters do stupid things or you don't take the obvious route? I mean it's a far off example but, Lord of the Rings, you can EASILY argue Frodo should have hopped on the Eagles and flown to Mordor, but instead they took the longest most convoluted route possible. The show is exciting, dramatic, unpredictable. Is it on par with the detailed intricacies of Game of Thrones? Of course not. But it's exciting and fun to watch, so we watch it. To me that = a good T.V show.
Flag
Exciting, no. Fun to watch, yes, because it's bad.
Flag
But, hey, if you find it unpredictable and exciting, more power to you. Go for it!
Why reading Tim's reviews and attacking his opinion adds to that, or gives you some satisfaction or enjoyment, I don't know. But hey... it's the Internet.
Flag
Just out of curiosity, what do you find unpredictable on UtD?

They had a fire. I predicted they'd put out the fire as soon as I read the episode description. They did.

They had a disease outbreak. I predicted they'd solve it. They did.

They had a water shortage (twice). I predicted they'd solve it. They did. (twice) I predicted Barbie would be the one to solve it, and that he's be right and Big Jim would be wrong. I even predicted Barbie would have a dramatic fight with some minor character before solving the problem, and emerge triumphant.

I predicted Junior wouldn't kill Big Jim. He didn't.

I'll go on record as predicting that they find something out that's earth-shattering about the Dome at the end of Season 1, but ultimately doesn't contribute at all to them getting out. :)

Let's see, next week... "Big Jim meets an unexpected visitor from his past." It's the woman from The Following. So... Mistress.

UtD can toss in weird stuff because, you know, "science fiction." But unpredictable...? Not really.

More +
Flag
Actually, if somewhat understandably from a "the shine has worn off" standpoint, the ratings are dropping. It's still doing well for a summer show, but check the weeklys if youi want to know the picture on the ratings.

*shrug* I don't like LotR, either.
Flag
As a sidenote because i have heard about the LOTR eagles thing many times (love HISHE), in seriousness that could not be done. Sauron had the wyverns on mordor and also spies. He could had seen the eagles, took them down and end of story. Also it was shown many times that the eagles couldnt carry the weight for extended periods of time.
Flag
An interesting, an extremely fair point of view on the show. I'm glad you are excited and find it fun to watch, and I would agree that is what makes a good TV show for a person. The mystery is there and I don't see where it is going, but the poor dialogue just add to the negative view I have of the characters whch hurts the show in my opinion. The show is fine for Summer, but if it were during the normal Fall/Spring lineups, it would suffer.
Flag
I'm suffering, because, like so many others, I can't take my eyes off a car wreck.
Flag
"And now we'll never have Reverend Arson or Farmer Ollie back!" - Are you sure? I wouldn't be surprised if the dome started to bring dead people back.
Flag
Is it just me or can I see the glass slightly vibrate when they throw the snowglobes? Maybe it's some sort of hint, the dome can vibrate. It's a.....domerator!

Buy your domerator today, you can trap people to make them desperate for sex, and it can vibrate you all the way to narnia.

(yeah, it's almost 2 AM here and I'm kind of tired.)
Flag
Hmm, okay, I'll buy your Domerator but only if I get two for the price of one and you throw in a free set of Ginsu steak knives.
Flag
Wait until they're for sale at Walgreens or CVS.
Flag
I'll look for the "As Seen on TV(.com)" seal of quality.
Flag
Under the dome is going to have a big problem especially if they keep killing people off. Soon we will run out of characters on this show...
Flag
The show is going to have more seasons and since they're off the book material they can just add new characters whenever they like.
Flag
Murderboy alluded to it in response to my post. The reason why they haven't done a census or a town meeting or anything. Especially now that we know there is going to be a season to is that they can make people trapped in the dome appear from the woods. Or hell the little purple egg can just zap people inside the dome from anywhere. That is likely how bad it is going to get.
Flag
Oh hell no! Not "Domies"! Didn't another show of recent history use that premise.
Flag
I thought so too, but they had the answer to that in that episode, didn't they? Julia made the connection that when that baby was born in her house, the doctor died at the same time (hours later, but let's not get picky)... Ergo, there've been bunch of babies been born for all the dead people around.
Flag
Babies don't make very good characters, but they have all kinds of B.S. options anyways. The Dome resurrects people. The Dome disappears for a time and new government people and scientists get trapped inside. The Dome summons people inside of it. The Dome accelerates the babies' growth. The Dome creates a man out of dirt or a woman out of a dude's rib. The Dome introduces an alien character. The Dome brings a scarecrow to life.
Flag
What I don't get is why don't Joe stay as much as he can at the center with the egg and the mini dome and try to figure what it wants and what it means.I think that egg is the only way out.We see Joe and Julia go all the way to the center just to touch it for a few seconds and than leave that make no sense.
Flag
I've just come to this page from the Homepage all ready to say you've got your shows mixed up by using a quote from 'Breaking Bad' on an 'Under the Dome' image and then it dawned on me your referring to Hank/Big Jim (Dean Norris). Clearly, I've never been the sharpest tool in the box. LOL
Very good, very clever. Haha
Flag
"The monarch will be crowned" actually reminded me of that great series Kings, an extrapolation of King David's coming to power. All the butterflies that surrounded David were magnificent scenes. Maybe it's the same reference here?
This episode showed that Capitalism looses and socialism works when push comes to shove, because in times of trouble and limited resources, the worst thing that can happen is that these be in the hands of the greedy few. Most Americans will have an issue with that because tey can't make a difference between Engels and Marx, so they hate it by principle. And let's not even mention Prud'Hon, who was a great thinker on his own.
The Dome examines what kind of society can emerge from the situation facing it.
It is ,however, not a free development that is suggested as the Black Egg has definetly the last word. In this context, though, does the egg imply a chicken? In other words, are there aliens out there trying to study humanity for whatever purpose, or is there something else afoot?
Flag
It is still the most ridiculous thing on TV right now. For all of the reasons stated above. Even if it was a little better than usual it still is awful.

The people that run the show don't know how shotguns and wells work. Not to mention that they still have the freaking lake. Even if it has methane in it, it still can be used for crops and if boiled can be used as drinking water. You can even fill tubs and let the methane escape via aeration and that is enough.

The battle was unnecessary, Big jim had his big rifle with a big scope on it. Any person with even rudimentary marksmanship skills could have picked Ollie off from the tree line.

Also, Phil is going to die right? Shot through the chest, no more hospital, Alice died from... their mythological brand of Diabetes? Stress? heart failure? What exactly did she die from? heartbreak? Like Padme from Episode 3?

Joe just made the stoner skater kid the smartest person under the dome. He was doing so well and then, I don't know, touching the dome made him stupid.

How is Junior still alive?

How is Angie supposed to be the Monarch? Did she even have that Tatoo when she was in the fallout shelter with nothing but a tank top on? How do we know that the dome means Monarch Butterfly? What if the Queen somehow got stuck in the dome as well?

Speaking of people stuck in the Dome. After they rioted and tried to kill one another, who thinks it is a good idea to give them guns? Also how many people are under the dome exactly? Shouldn't they have had a census? Role call? Something?

Also, everyone seems pretty cool with Carolyn chilling in the room with the Alice's corpse. Alice would be starting to smell by now.
More+
Flag
May I add that methane is not very soluable in water. Letting it stand a few minutes should let the gas escape and, in any case, methane is non-toxic to humans.
Flag
She got Domed
Flag
That should just be the catch all answer for the show.
Flag
Well, I think the writers have intentionally kept the size of the Dome and the population of Chester's Mill ambiguous for a reason--yeah, like they really need a reason (btw, what's a reason?) Wasn't it the late Michael Ansara's Klingon alter ego Kang that said, "Only a fool fights in a burning house." So, basically, who the fuck cares if any of these people get out alive? But as you said, Tim, hicks can be fun, and of course you're right that by getting better(?) this show is in danger of becoming just plain lousy rather than delightful summer comedy relief.
Flag
That quote "The monarch will be crowned" somehow reminded me of the "golden crown" from Game of Thrones. I hope the crown in this show is a good thing though! No more bad things for Angie!
Flag
Its very clear at this point that in no way shape or form the book is like the tv series. DAMN! I wanted to see that big explosion and see Big Jim die from not enough oxygen, and Junior being shot in the head. I also wanted to see the Leatherheads aliens. Oh well.
Flag
"Now that Phil's hurt, is Dodee in charge of the radio station?"

Tis only a flesh wound!

But given they couldn't find a doctor for Harriet last week (she disappeared into the same void as Carolyn this week: not even a crying baby heard in the background), where are they finding the doctors to take care of Carter and Phil? Alice is dead, Nurse Adams is MIA: who is left?
Flag
No wait, I got this one! As soon as The Dome realizes that semi-major character Phil is going to die without semi-major character doctor, Harriet is resurrected! What tipped me off? (I'm glad you asked!) Harriet most conspicuously hasn't been buried yet (it would be kinda cruel to resurrect her if she was already on the wrong side of the grass). Obvious, right?

Also, that tattoo was definitely not a monarch butterfly. If they intended a connection, how hard would it have been to Google "monarch butterfly" and copy whatever picture popped up?
Flag
I think you mean Alice. Harriet is the other seriously-in-pain blonde, the pregnant one.
Yeah, going over the episode again today, I also noticed that isn't a monarch butterfly. Then again, maybe it isn't supposed to be and the producers put it in as a red herring for people who don't know what monarch butterflies really look like.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members