An Under the Dome Community
CBS (ended 2015)

Like many of you, I had high hopes for CBS's Under the Dome. I haven't read the book, but loved the concept, the cast, and the idea of a Brian K. Vaughn-led high-concept drama. After the pilot, my hopes were even higher. That first episode was full of strong moments; it focused both on plot and character, and it suggested that Vaughn and Neal Baer had a plan for telling this story. Unfortunately, now that we're five episodes in, my interest in Under the Dome has waned as about as dramatically as it possibly could. Tim's reviews haven't been especially kind in the post-pilot weeks, but the show hasn't given us much to be excited about.

But I do think there's a chance (even if it's one that's getting smaller every week) that Under the Dome could pull itself out of this funk, and that's because the pilot, and even some individual moments within the episodes that followed, hinted that the writers' hearts are in the right place (terrible dialogue notwithstanding). And that right place is with a focus on the people at the center of this mysterious event. Under the Dome has been one of the first of the post-Lost, high-concept "mystery" shows to actually pay attention to what made Lost successful; if it concentrates on that notion, there might still be hope.

Learning from Lost

Before you chain me up in a fallout shelter because I'm including Lost and Under the Dome in the same sentence, let me explain. Whereas shows like FlashForward and The Event and The Nine relied so heavily on the ENIGMAS at the core of their concepts, as if the island or the numbers or the hatches were what made Lost so great in the beginning, Under the Dome went to nice—if not great—lengths to establish its characters in the first episode. Even in its pre-dome moments, the pilot economically keyed us in to who the characters were on a basic level. Under the Dome's pilot was nowhere near as good as Lost's, but I appreciated that the former wasn't immediately layering on the mystery and the empty questions at the cost of the people in the world. Like Lost, Under the Dome gave us a fairly simple premise, despite the big mystery at the front of it; neither show's debut was unnecessarily convoluted simply to mislead the audience, and both featured a nice mix of plot and character intrigue.

Of course, now that we've been under the Dome for five episodes, it's clearer than ever that Under the Dome isn't Lost. There's not one part of it that's as good or as compelling what Lost had to offer. The series has quickly become ridiculous, plodding, and seemingly disinterested in its own premise, and there's very little logic, reason, or urgency behind the actions people take. It wasn't until Episode 4 that the people of Chester's Mill seemed particularly worried about being trapped in a giant fishbowl with little information as to how or why, and even though people reacted to drastic military action in this week's episode, there still wasn't a whole lot of inquiry. Their generally lackadaisical attitude trickles down to little moments as well; a few weeks ago, Junior and Julia stood in those tunnels talking about nothing, just chillin' while their final match went out. Sometimes, it feels like characters are still too wrapped up in their own pre-Dome drama, as if its arrival hadn't fundamentally altered their lives. I was willing to write some of this off as typical post-pilot growing pains, but four episodes' worth of silly storytelling is worrisome.

How Under the Dome Can Improve

But if you'll allow me to keep the Lost comparison going, I'll take the opportunity to wonder aloud whether Under the Dome's creative team (including former Lost staff writer Vaughn) took the values of Lost too far. They clearly wanted to focus on the characters right from the jump, and now they've narrowed in on them too much—and seemingly forgotten that this is a show about A HUGE DOME THAT RANDOMLY APPEARS OVER AN ENTIRE TOWN. Thus, just five episodes in, there's little to no mystery to investigate, and that's because the characters don't seem to care about it. With Lost, enough things happened early on to convince the people on the island that something weird was afoot; the show made the audience care about curiosities like the Others and the hatches because Jack, Kate, and company cared about them, too (or, rather, they cared about how those things might get them off the island or protect them). But does anyone on Under the Dome actually seem to give a damn about what the dome does or why it's there? Joe cared for like three scenes, then he found a girl to flirt with (totally understandable, but...). Barbie doesn't really care, Julia doesn't really care, Big Jim doesn't care. Some of the supporting characters like Dodee have stumbled into some interest, but they don't get enough screen time within individual episodes for it to make much of impact.

Nevertheless, I think there's still hope. In my mind, it's easier to inject mystery back into a high-concept mystery show than it is to rely too much on the mystery for five episodes and then have to work to get the audience invested in the characters. I'm not sure that Under the Dome has succeeded in making us care about any of these people quite yet (I do kind of care about Joe), but I admire it for trying to do so when so many other shows like it just immediately start with the vague questions and eye-rolling mentions of conspiracies. Yes, in ignoring the appeal of its premise to get down to very basic plots, the show has sucked most of the air out of what made the pilot interesting (kind of like Revolution). But if Under the Dome can find a way to make its characters care about the presence of the dome beyond their more necessary-but-boring functional concerns (medicine, power, etc.), the mystery and intrigue will slowly return, and the show could get back on track faster than we might expect. It's never, ever, ever going to be Lost, but Under the Dome isn't lost quite yet.

How would YOU fix Under the Dome? Do you think it's even possible?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 9/10/2015

Season 3 : Episode 13

201 Comments
Comments (201)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
But im sad that Angie died, she was my favorite.
Flag
I love under the dome just at it is. No need to change something. Better than lost, for me.
Flag
Under the Dome IS LOST

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jxtGDB7O9Fw
Flag
I watched all the episodes this week ,and i thought i was watching lost 2.The show resembles lost .
Flag
I'm sure Barbie cares, at least he cared in the book and I'm pretty sure Stephen King won't that character stray too far off from his book counterpart.

What on Earth makes you think Julie doesn't care? She was running back and forth to that radio station from THE VERY FIRST EPISODE to establish where the dome came from and if the military had anything to do with it. In the latest episode she's on a wild goose chase to find the source. How is that not caring?

It's probably a cardinal sin to mention Twin Peaks (I still love TP) here but IMO it's better to introduce a mystery slowly than to do what David Lynch did: Introducing a life-changing mystery for a whole town and then solve it midway.

Flag
This just in..... Under the Dome renewed for Season 2.... Stephen King writing the premiere episode! DOMEtastic news! http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/under-dome-renewed-second-season-579886
Flag
I do like the show. What i found to be difficult though is tracking time. I have no idea if a day has past since the dome appeared or a week. Or more.
Flag
I knew this show goes sideways as soon as I saw Brittany Robertson somehow she is cursed and she proves it again. My hopes where high after the pilot but after watching 2 more painfull to watch episodes I´m out. Is there still hope for the show maybe but first of all the first sesaon is already written and filmed so there goes this option of a fast improvement and second of all i think it´s really hard at this point to make te audience actually like the characters. I think a good show always rises or falls with his actors and there ability to get the audience hooked especially in a mystery series that streches their tension over a long period of time.And of course there a weak episodes in every show but the first 4 despite the pilot is never a good sign.
Flag
I am personally giving this show 1 more episode to convince me it can be saved, after that I'm done.
The way this show is going I highly doubt it will be renewed in any case.
People are way too calm despite a huge dome cutting them off from the world, and over all, nothing much has been happening or has happened in 5 episodes.
Despite being a huge letdown in the end, Lost started out very well and you cannot compare the Dome to Lost in any way, other than people being trapped, but then you could compare it to Gilligan's Island too. :P
Flag
The book was one of King's weakest efforts so I figured the show was pretty much doomed from the start... and I was right! I actually almost liked the first episode but since then it's been pretty painful.
Flag
If I were the writers and Stephen King, I would've adapted the book for a first season "Under the Dome", twisting the end and fate of some characers, and continue the show with a new storyline for an "After the Dome".
Flag
And then the show would just be about the people in the town? Really? I don't think anything about their lives would be that compelling.
Flag
Of course not. If you change what's creating the dome (which will probably happen in the show anyway), you can set up a story that can span numerous seasons. I don't want to spoil anything here for those who haven't read the book.
Flag
So does it getting picked up for a 2nd season mean you'll get your wish? I haven't read the book so I'm not sure if that means they'll have to change it up from the original cause of the dome.
Flag
I can completely understand the Lost comparison here, but I think the biggest thing this show is missing that lost had (besides the better mystery), is just the likability of the characters and a cast that is at least somewhat competent with acting. Dean Norris is about the only good actor on the show and even he's nothing amazing (sorry to say). I feel like it'll take a bit longer before we get to another "Lost" level show. Part of me thinks that networks need to get into a slump again (even though most of them seem to already be in one) and they need to be willing to gamble on something crazy, not try to force something that had no chance of being big (Flashforward/The Event).
Flag
Fix it with less family dramas and more action. More actual stuff about the dome and the people trying to figure it out would be nice. They tease us with electromagnetic field talk but don't prove anything.
Flag
OMG Really Lost and Under the Dome are two different premises so another words two different shows!!! UTD IMO keeps getting better, and Cory the town does care what the Dome does or why its their BIG JIM, JULIA, especially BARBIE all care,
Flag
I do actually like the show, it's no suits or the bridge but it's worth watching

Flag
lost was a drawn out mess though, hopefully Dome has learned not to do that
Flag
i think the latest episode was a big improvement except for the more and more impossible to like characters that continue to to shine because of their poor judgement. a nuke is coming down in 2 minutes... let's take the back exit, and safe the kids... HOW DO YOU SAFE THEM IN 2 MINUTES.. seriously HOW? You got 2 minutes what could be the possible outcome? Die together is the best chance they got. This moment really shows that the writers really don't care or believe the audience is dumb.
Flag
I have started to watch LOST again, and I am surprised what a good first season it was, not from the 5th or 6th episode, but from the first second. About building a character: Lock did not say almost anything in the first two ep and sat on the sand staring at his legs with a big smile. Then at the third ep he started to talk and became slowly the Lock we know. Similar with the rest. UtD is missing the pace, timing and good dialogue to be an average good TV show. We never get surprised or feel intrigue for the story.
My guess is UtD will be crash under it´s own dome. I don´t wont to be under.
Flag
How come film- and tv makers are som unable to adapt Stephen King novels? They did a couple of good ones with Rob Lowe - Salem's Lot and Dead Zone, two of my favourite books of all time. I just don't get it.
Flag
They've hit some out of the park, such as The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile for example, but I agree that most of the adaptations are garbage, and I too have been wondering why for the longest time.
Flag
Standard dome fare for me still a subpar show. I mean the assumption that the inpenatrable dome will be broken not by a bomb but a big dome was ridiculous. About the only good thing here was Jim killing the preacher and going into a new level of crazy.
Flag
They kill(answer) mysteries behind characters too quickly. Lets take Barbie f.x.
Killed a guy, we find out who it is in the first episode.
Couple of episodes later, he tells his entire life story to Julia.
Flashes a mysterious coin at a soldier, the soldier reacts to it with serious respect. 10 minutes later, he tells Julia exactly what the coin means.

It's like the show is too scared to drag things out just a tiny bit. Give us some time to think about, come up with possible answers and theories. Except of course for Big Jim and the Propane mystery, which no body cares about at all. At least that's the feeling I get watching the show.
Flag
U just can't do sh** with such a bad cast to begin with.
I was really thrilled to see Jeff Fahey then BAM, adios sheriff, let's put some menstruating-annoying-man-voiced thing in the plot.
Same thing goes for Dean Norris, lost in the middle of a circus..
Just kill'em all already, end this telenovela.
Flag
You make a good point in that Under the Dome focuses too much on the characters in terms of their pre-conceived dramas, but Lost did this too.

Where Under the Dome differs from Lost in terms of characters is that we wanted to learn more about these characters, and we wanted to see how they reacted to the different things happening on the island. The fact is that I don't care about any of Under the Dome's characters, or their reactions, because none of them are all that interesting.

Julia is too wrapped by in the loss of Peter to be interesting, Barbie has flashes of being a compelling character but he is pigeonholed by his role as the male protagonist. Big Jim and Junior are not compelling villains, just creepy caricatures, and I could care less about the rest of the main characters.

At this stage, I'm just hoping for the writers to amp up the plot. As a viewer I tend to ignore character flaws if the plot is fast-paced and entertaining enough.
Flag
If this were a movie, we would have some back stories in the beginning, but soon the characters would start dealing with the dome itself. We'd see people trying different forms of escaping (digging, I guess), perhaps the army would also be digging a big and deep tunnel from the other side, and people would be doing experiments to try to understand the dome. However, I don't see much potential in the situation. Apart from digging and contemplating, what else can the people in Chester's Mill (sp?) do?
Flag
It can't worse end than Lost, that's impossible!
Flag
Read the book.. So much better..TV show hardly resembles the book
Flag
Keep it one season and make it follow the book.
Flag
It is waht it is, SUMMER REPLACEMENT! Adios!
Flag

"What Under the Dome Learned from Lost" -- absolutely nothing, apparently! See also: just about everything else the Lost writer alumni have written since (Prometheus, ugh).

I had especially high hopes for Under the Dome since BKV was involved, who is actually a fairly GOOD writer. Alas, I ended up disappointed, as this show is irredeemably terrible.
Flag
The only way that Under the Dome can save itself is if the writers and CBS give it a finite timeline to finish this show in. It seems like it's going to get picked up for another season at least, but a strength of the book was that you knew that something big was coming and that the mystery would be solved. With the show conceivably going on for seasons, none of the big answers are going to come fast enough and the characters are just going to keep spinning their wheels in an effort to prolong the plot. Nothing concrete is going to happen for quite some time, unfortunately, unless they say "the show is only going to last two seasons". This is why I was hoping it would just be a mini-series instead of an full-length show.
Flag
Like everything (including Lost) that those writers do, it started with a decent idea and mystery. And then spent all remaining episodes proving these people don't know how to tell a story.
Flag
I think mystery can only go so far without something to root it:

- The X-Files were believable because the characters abducted by aliens looked like regular people.

- An island with supernatural properties seems easier to accept amidst the aftermath of a plane crash in which Lostaways reacted as ordinary people.

- It isn't hard to embrace the magic from Game of Thrones when the characters touch actual stone, walk among actual snow or have dirt under their fingernails like real people.
Flag
I disagree with initial comments in this article. I watched the first episode with great anticipation, but after the first 30-40 minutes, I gave up. Did not find a single likeable character anywhere. I didn't care if any of them ever got out of that dome. . .actually, I felt the world was a better place with all of them locked inside.

The first rule of any successful TV show/Movie is likeable characters with whom you can identify and root for. No such animal in this show.
Flag
Cory, I disagree with you about almost everything as usual. The Lost creators pulled that "its about the characters" crap because they didn't have away to end it. It was about the mystery fr more than half of the people who watched it, which is why the ending fell so flat. Also, the characters on Lost sucked. Jack and Sawyer and Kate were predictable cliches, whereas Locke was merely inconsistently written from season to season. On Dome maybe they could focus on the mystery if we all didn't already know the ending, but the characters also suck. And it sucked from day one. It had potential, but it was never on the right track.
Flag
Let me just add dealt quickly (because I've grown tired of debating the ending of the show) that Lost would have been off my schedule if the characters were not the focus. There have been plenty of shows that have had crazy concepts and have done them well. But my interest waned because their characters were flat and one dimensional.
Flag
Staff
If you were into Lost because of the mysteries, that's fine. But they said pretty regularly that it was about the characters and REPEATEDLY told people not to expect the kind of answers they were making up in their minds. If you thought the show sucked fine, and same for those mysterious "half" you mention, but it's still the show they said they were doing.
Flag
I never read that we shouldn't expect the kind of answers that fans were coming up with. Even if I had, I wouldn't think that the quality of the show is determined by what the writers said in interviews.

The "it's about the characters" defense has never made sense to me. How does the show being "about the characters" make it OK to end the show by telling us that everything that happened to THE CHARACTERS during the past six years was just a bunch of inconsistent nonsense? It ruins the character arcs too.
Flag
I totally agree. Season 6 and the finale completely isolated itself from the rest of the series, and what happened before didn't matter a whit. This is just lousy storytelling at it's worst.
Flag
The show they said they were doing a few seasons in when they lost their way. Also, in the same breath they promised answers to mysteries each season or that they had the ending planned from the beginning. That character nonsense was spin and nothing more. The characters would have started off more interesting if it were ever truly the case.
Flag
I'd say from what I read on here and from everywhere else, that you're in the minority--more hated than loved it. The Island so obviously was spawned in the twilight zone and it should have ended there rather than everyone going to Heaven because they either did, or did not survive some weird Island. If you think about it spiritually both the beginning and end were totally Deus ex Machina and don't really jive in any stretch of the imagination. I suppose you could say the Devil created the Island and God saved everyone in the end, but that's just bullshit. Is that what they said they were doing?
Flag
I'd be interested to know how many Lost watchers fall into your category, you say half, I simply don't know.

For me yea sure it was about the mystery but the characters were the main appeal. As for the finale, there is plenty of hate, I am one who loved it. They didn't explain the island, other than saying "oh yea thats the magic light at the heart of the island" but I was surprised how little I cared.

The characters' time on the island mattered, it affected them and we got to see how that happened, as well as the inferred actions of those that remained, those that left and of course those who died.

Obviously not saying your opinion is incorrect but I wish there was some way of knowing what proportion enjoyed it (like me) and what proportion didn't.
Flag
I don't think there is anything wrong with it. Remember it has only been about a week. Real people don't actually freak out and start eating each other at the first sign of adversity.

Between this and Tim's recaps apparently ya'll think everyone should stand around screaming "There's a dome, OMG what are we going to do about this dome?"

That would be a boring show.
Flag
Staff
Real people don't freak out? People are nuts.
Flag
That's the problem. These people have been through a fire that could've spread even further, a meningitis outbreak, and now the MOAB that could've killed them all, not to mention they're trapped in a dome, separated from loved ones, and there's barely much reaction at that.

It's a boring show because these characters aren't really that interesting (some of them are already really annoying) and the dome is barely even touched upon even though that's the premise of the series.
Flag
How about: MOST of them already are really annoying. Name 1 character u give a crap about :P Let's start killing off Julia please.. And then Junior and his lil bunker girl..
Flag
I don't have a problem with Julia. She's one of the more tolerable characters on the show. I don't have a problem with Angie either, other than that Junior is in most of her scenes.
Flag
Joe! And Joe's skater friend, Ben. And Norrie's-mom-who-isn't-Samantha-Mathis. (Though not enough to learn the name of her character, it seems.)
Flag
Well Cory, since I never watched "Lost", and don't intend to in the foreseeable future. I wish you "bloggers" or whatever moniker you use, would stop comparing UTD to it. I do however read books, and being a "constant reader' of King, I approached UTD like all adaptations of his work, with trepidation. Since I abhor most TV, specifically reality TV, I like to give scripted shows a chance (3 episodes) before tuning out. And while I agree that UTD is not an "American Horror Story", it is definitely watchable, and I thought the last episode was definitely a keeper. For the insane amount of dreck out their on multiple media platforms, there are far worse time wasters than UTD. Just don't handicap it by comparing it to your beloved "Lost", and fans of the book, remember what Uncle Stevie always says. The original book is always gonna be there, on the shelf, in your kindle, etc. No horrible adaptation or 6th direct to video sequel can ever erase it.
Flag
Staff
I quite enjoy that above you misidentified people as hypocrites and then noted that you hate TV, on a TV-centric web site.
Flag
Well, on the plus side, they have to really REALLY make an effort to outdo Lost in shitty endings ;)
Flag
There's literally nothing they can do to make the ending of UTD worse than the ending of Lost.
Flag
I am enjoying Under the Dome but I am not expecting too much from it, it's only a summer show after all! As for Lost I was passionately in love with the characters and invested in the story, and that was the biggest letdown I have ever had. So comparing something to Lost really isn't a compliment to me
Flag
Character driven stories are wonderful, but "The play's the thing," is the most important thing to remember.
Flag
I saw some LOST in last week's episode.... I think if they start showing so flashbacks (one character per episode like Lost) it would be a lot more interesting. Character development in the flashback and more Dome stuff in the present, just like Lost! The Reverend could have used one!
Flag
Oh and I really liked this article! As great as Lost was, I think Under the Dome can really go the distance if it can get back on track! Fingers crossed.
Flag
Comparing it to Lost in the beginning is an interesting notion, because Lost began great and sustained it for its full 5 season run--season 6 never happened, btw. And comparing it to Revolution is also valid. The 5th episode of UtD had some faint hints of storytelling that were good and lend hope.

One thing that we do as members of this site is assume what is said reflects what the nation and the world is thinking, and that's incorrect. The show has solid ratings and even Revolution's are acceptable--at least for NBC these days.

So, what I'm getting at here is, although reviews point out the obvious flaws, the creators may not be listening. They are listening to Mr. Neilson (sp) because he is the god of money--and this may be perceived under the heading, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." So, I wouldn't get our hopes up, even though TVDotCom is a subsidiary of CBS. But it's a good thought, anyway.
Flag
Staff
Well I'm not really interested in the show's popularity, that's all fine and good. But my job isn't to just say "well it's popular, nothing's wrong with it."
Flag
My point was, you're right, they just probably aren't listening because it's hit...
Flag
I think you have to give the writers some credit - they don't write for ratings, they write to tell stories. Besides, they couldn't write for ratings if they tried. As we all know, the best written shows often go by unnoticed by the majority, while shows of a lesser quality are watched by many.
Flag
That's for sure...
Flag
I love this show and would not change anything except maybe adding a space alien or two.
Flag
Hopeless.... Simply hopeless, trite garbage.... the writers are collecting checks and phoning it in...so obvious, c'mon!
Flag
I haven't liked it from the start, aside from the Dome related deaths from the first episode it's been much like the rest of the episodes I'm afraid, it too had me rolling my eyes constantly and needing to excuse myself to go puke due to the stupidity I was subjected to. However as if by some unholy force I still watch it, I've stopped hoping it will get better and don't believe it can, I just want to know how everything turns out at this point. If it gets anotehr season I won't be tuning in.
Flag
There is no saving this show. They would have to stop everything and shoot it all again. I actively dislike every character aside from Barbie. Though Big Jim did kill the reverend, however he also fathered and continues to put up with Junior. Plus the immediacy of their acceptance and non rebellion against the dome is really annoying. Even Joe isn't doing it anymore because there is a girl around.

Horrible, horrible show. I would put the Following above this show and I freaking hate watched the Following.
Flag
And yet you've watched 5 episodes. you Mate are a freaking hypocrite.
Flag
Clearly you don't understand the definition of hypocrite.

But I am enjoying watching just how horrible it can go. I liked the idea, I liked the plot. But this show ranks right down there with Terra Nova and Alcatraz in regards to great idea for a show and good pilot and then it all going down hill from there. The only difference is this has reference material to go from in the Steven King Novel and from what the book readers have said, they have strayed pretty far from it.
Flag
Oh, Alcatraz was so much worse...
Flag
As for a let down. Yea. They squandered such a cool idea and could have done a lot with it and then it just just bad after the 3rd episode.
Flag
Really? I LOVED Alcatraz. Of all of the 'after Lost' shows I enjoyed it the most, so much so that I watched the entire series after it was cancelled. I don't deny that the female lead was a bit of a bore, but the prisoner of the week stories were consistently strong and had great characters. It also perfectly blended the overarching serialised plot with those stand alone episodes. To each there own, I guess, but I'm really disappointed that Alcatraz didn't stick.
Flag
Either the executives/producers/writers of a high-concept mystery/scifi show are the biggest retards in the biz OR they sabotage those shows on purpose.
I believe in the latter assumption but I can't give any reasons...
What could be the goal to dumb down and make any of those shows unwatchable? Is there any gain at all? Since Lost(and I can't still watch any episodes 'cause of the anti-finale) almost any of those shows got axed.
There has to be an explanation...
What is it?
Flag
I would consult and follow the book.
Flag
Although I enjoyed the pilot, I don't think the show was ever on track, so there's no getting it back on track. The writing is terrible, most of the acting is terrible. I don't hate the show, though. I actually like seeing what silly things the characters are going to do next.

The only way this show is like Lost is that they're both tv shows.

Flag
I gave up after the second episode and have strictly stuck to reading reviews to see if any improvement surfaces. So far nothing I have read indicates as such and so I continue to lose hope that it ever will. I read the book a few years back, and was so gripped, I could not put it down. Sure, the story plodded a little even there, but there was always a sense of tension and a general atmosphere hanging over the town that kept my interest.

I think the show's mistake was fundamentally changing the characters. I won't go into detail, but if Barbie, Junior, and a few others had been how they were in the book, doing the things they did within the pages, it would have given the audience the investigation, the wondering, and the dome-related sense of terror and urgency that this show is sorely lacking. They had gripping characters with compelling connections and interactions and back-stories, that, while not rivaling Lost, would have made for much more entertaining and intriguing episodes.

It might have even been something to have each episode focus on a character, getting multiple viewpoints on what is happening, varying reactions, secrets and back-stories, etc..... ala Lost.

I think another problem is pacing. Where the book rocketed along, telling the story over the space of a week, the show is planning to drag it on for years. That might have been fine, had they not decided to go day-by-day, with each episode seeming to have a stand-alone quality, with each crisis emerging and being solved over the space of the episode. A mysterious illness could have been an arc that lasted a good few episodes, as could even the priest believing it was a sign of God and people getting behind him whilst others oppose him (as per the similarly premised but much terrifyingly executed film, The Mist). The seizures being experienced by Joe and Norrie should have also been done on a wider-scale and served to give the town something truly bizarre to ponder over and be concerned about. Like how the Lost community encountered each mystery in groups or altogether, from the Monster to the Radio message to The Others and the Polar Bear. Instead, the ongoing arcs are based around things people are keeping a secret. Maybe things will change when they are revealed. But until then, it makes for yawnful television, seeing everyone mill about ignorant or uncaring of anything that is going on.
More+
Flag
Can I just say...Shut up Jay! I'll type this slowly for you...TV shows & movies are not books. Their have been few books translated to the screen that captured the spirit, let alone the subtext of a 400 pg. novel. Ever! That doesn't mean they are not worthy, but your expectations are ludicrous. So your sermon is wasted, and your a liar if you say you stopped after 2 episodes. Let me guess, your'e an aspiring writer. Why else would you waste 800 words on a tv show you stopped watching after 2 shows! Please.
Flag
Allow me to cease wasting words and go merely with the only one that spring to mind: CUNT!
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
It just struck me that the more stupid this show gets the more the name Barbie stands out as a ridiculous name for the (anti) hero of the show.
Flag
I'm enjoying it; mostly because after every episode I can't imagine how it can become any worse of a show, and yet every week it does.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members