Under the Dome Forums

Monday 10:00 PM on CBSIn Season

Anybody else got a bad feeling about this?

ElRob

[1]Feb 6, 2013
    • level: 3

Hey folks, I'm just coming to the end of the book (I went the Audiobook route on this one- Raul Esparza, the narrator, is amazing FYI) and I can't help noticing some pretty massive divergences between the characters announced as part of the cast and the source material. Also, I don't know how these things normally go but shouldn't they have cast and confirmed the leads in the series before all these supporting players? Who is going to play Barbie, or Julia, or Big Jim? If these characters will even feature, of course.

When I heard about this being under development I had high hopes but now I'm thinking "troubled production" already...

19/02/13 - OK. so it's now confirmed that Dean Norris of "Breaking Bad" fame will be playing Big Jim, which is OK I guess though my top 3 picks would have been John Goodman, John Heard and M.C. Gainey. Some guy named Mike Vogel will play Barbie, and I don't even know if there will be a Julia character at all (she's arguably the co-protagonist in the book, so it would take some re-engineering of the source material to leave her out, IMO).

Edited on 02/19/2013 10:45am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

fujin_mage

[2]May 21, 2013
    • level: 7
    yea....this one has all the vibe of a 1 season show

ionee24

[3]Jun 22, 2013
    • level: 32
    fujin_mage wrote:

I thought it was a mini series.

wildhoney66

[4]Jun 23, 2013
    • level: 13

i thought it was too at first. but i think it's going to be a tv show. people are already dissing the show and it hasn't even aired! at least give the show a chance 1st i think. even people who don't like the show are i'm sure cracking on it. well there is no doubt some stuff will be changed. i dunno if it will be for the good or the bad. but i'm watching it either way. and no i haven't read the book yet. and even if i didn't like the book i'd still watch it cause i pretty much watching anything put out with the name SK on. some of it is great and some of it is terrible.

i love Haven and that's a show that took me awhile to get into. so who knows maybe this show will be good or decent. and remember that 1st episodes aren't always great. sometimes they do put together bad pilots.

wildhoney66

[5]Jun 24, 2013

well i liked the 1st episode but it was a week episode though. the show or mini-series is promising though. either way i'll watch it.

ElRob

[6]Jun 25, 2013

I respect your opinion, but as a book-reader I became quite alarmed when the casting process revealed just how much they were going to change key characters and plot-lines, probably on the basis of focus group recommendations on how to make it more commercially appealing. Network TV is on shaky ground these days and as such need return on investment for a show like this, but I feel the storytelling will suffer. I'm going to watch the first episode tonight on repeat and see if my misgivings were justified. Cheers, ElRob

OK I just saw it, here's the bulk of the comment I posted on the TV.com review:

"This wasn't the unmitigated disaster I was fearing, but hey, it ain't exactly Game of Thrones, either. I think I'll carry on viewing, however, as I love the book and I reckon this is the only way my wife and I can ever enjoy it together as I can't foresee talking her into reading a 1074 page Stephen King tome any time soon are slim.

"One unexpected complaint: the score is incredibly cheesy, sounds like early 90s Outer Limits material."

So, sure, we'll watch Ep2.

Edited on 06/25/2013 7:38pm

wildhoney66

[8]Jul 1, 2013

well for me i thought the pilot wasn't that great. tonight's episode i think is a far better episode than last weeks. so that's an improvement. and yes you are right they will tell you. i'm the same way when it comes to certain stuff. sometimes it does bother me when certain stuff is cut but it really depends on what film i'm watching. when i'm watching the Harry Potter films for example i'm a bit more forgiving cause i can see why certain stuff was cut for example. i haven't read under the dome yet.

but i plan to at some point.

AlfOttoFagermo

[9]Jul 10, 2013
    • level: 7

I haven't read the book, but I might do it after this show is done, if it will end. I do have a bad feeling about this, considering the reviewers stating that this show is moving very slow. I'm drawing a comparison to another slow moving show, FlashForward. Here we have this big event, and they use 11 episodes to get us acquainted with all of the characters in the series, and then finally the last episodes they slowly start to accelerate towards the big finale. But as we saw in that finale, there was more stuff there to drag it along for several years.

That's what I'm worried about. The book states that they were under the dome for only a few days. Now it's been 36 hours since this thing hit Chester's Mill in the series, and we are already at episode 3. That means that we are only going to get 396 hours into the series before the (season) finale in September. And if you are good in math, then 396 hours should be 16,5 days. I've read from a few that they are planning to be stuck under that thing for several months, which means that if they don't pick up the pace, we might not get the conclusion of this series before summer of 2017, which is in four seasons. According to my calcuations after 4 13-episode seasons we would have come to Day 66 after the dome, which is two months.

So I'm afraid that they are going to do the same with this series, as what happened to FlashForward, and drag this thing out so much that when this series finale (which it's going to be then), we'll be getting the two last episodes in timelapse speed just to get to the Chester's Mill out of the dome.

mrivera

[10]Jul 10, 2013
    • level: 10
    I have 2 questions:

1. Since no one knows if or when the dome might be lifted, wouldn't it make sense to ration the gas and food immediately? 3 episodes in and everyone is still scarfing the food and drink to their hearts' content.

2. Do we HAVE to be hit over the head with the gay agenda in EVERY TV show?

ElRob

[11]Jul 10, 2013
    My 3 episode probationary period for this show is now up. Verdict: Naff.

Kartana

[12]Jul 12, 2013
    • level: 9

So is this a mini series or not? Because if it is I might just watch it to the end. But if it's a multi season series then hell no!

Dec1964

[13]Aug 6, 2013
    • level: 33

Kartana wrote:

So is this a mini series or not? Because if it is I might just watch it to the end. But if it's a multi season series then hell no!

Apparently there is a 2nd season, according to CBS.

razy70

[14]Aug 6, 2013
    • level: 1
    Dec1964 wrote:

Kartana wrote:

Apparently there is a 2nd season, according to CBS.

Well that's about it for me then. This show is simply too unbearable to watch. I'm pulling out the plug.

lindhoffen

[15]Aug 8, 2013
    • level: 9
    razy70 wrote:
    Well that's about it for me then. This show is simply too unbearable to watch. I'm pulling out the plug.

Bye then. Make sure you close the door properly on your way out to Sesame Street.

orophite

[16]Aug 28, 2013
    fujin_mage wrote:

And I thought I was the only one. $5 says this show gets canned with a cliffhanger ending as well, aka Invasion 2.0... at least Invasion was loads better compared to this show.

What I find annoying about Under the Dome is the people stuff. It's kinda like Stargate Universe or Battlestar Galactica too much talky and rarely ever any of the mystery stuff and if there is any mystery stuff it's right at the end of the show like the last 5-10min of it as well. I think the character development is just a bit overboard I mean shit it's like having a science-fiction show without the science.

Simply put, If i wanted to watch people junk I'll turn on Oprah thank you very much.

haldrey

[17]Sep 3, 2013
    • level: 22

As a summer mini series the show was bearable but what else can they do to extend it to a second season? More eggs? So many great shows are cancelled while mediocre ones, and realities (ugh), get more seasons.

Edited on 09/03/2013 7:46am

Cheshiremoon1

[18]Sep 16, 2013
    • level: 1

I also thought it was a mini series- how far can they possibly take it? I have to say I am enjoying it so far. I think we are rather behind here in South Africa but I am excited to see how they are going to play this out. Havnt read the book but right now I feel like I should!

skbrettbug

[19]Sep 19, 2013
    • level: 18

This show will last as long as the network will let it live.