Under the Dome Forums

Monday 10:00 PM on CBSIn Season

sadistic psychopath again

skippercollecto

[1]Jun 26, 2013
    • level: 15

Why is it every apocalyptic story nowadays must have a sadistic psychopath who uses the opportunity to take over the town or the world? This idea is not only no longer original, it's sickening. That type of character was the main reason I stopped watching Revolution.

The only storyline I liked where this type of person was a main character was Stephen King'sThe Stand, both the book and the miniseries. Since Under the Dome is also a Stephen King story, you'd have thought he would have come up with something more original.

The end-of-the-world stories that don't have a psycho in them, all of which I still love, are the original Battlestar Galactica (Baltar doesn't count, as he was working for the enemy and he was eventually dispatched with), Jericho, Deep Impact,The Day After Tomorrow, the 1632 novels and Alas, Babylon. Lost didn't have one in its first season, but from the second season on all of the new characters the writers kept adding fit this description, and again, I stopped watching.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Yaspaa

[3]Jun 26, 2013
    • level: 79
    You would have had to have held my kids hostage to stop me from watching Lost. I don't even understand which psychopaths you mean.

nahga1

[4]Jun 28, 2013
    • level: 8

Because God has a plan.

wildhoney66

[5]Jul 1, 2013
    • level: 13

because there is one in the book that's why.

mrivera

[6]Jul 2, 2013
    • level: 10

In a recent interview, Stephen King said he modeled the villain after Richard Cheney. Given that and the liberal leanings of both King and Spielberg, I bet after roping in an audience in the first few episodes with dazzling effects, the plots will start to have heavy handed political overtones. I bet we even see a gay wedding or 2.

marcusmiller11

[7]Jul 2, 2013
    • level: 1

I agree. I'm also sick of the damsel in distress who can never escape on her own. I guess Angie...? is going to stay locked in the bomb shelter for half of the series run (....almost escaping a couple of times) until she is rescued. I guess it never occurred to her to knee Junior in gonads several times take the key let herself out and lock him in.