Under the Dome

Pilot

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Jun 24, 2013 on CBS

• The title of the show is explained...

Well, this show certainly hit the ground running! A lot of stuff is thrown at us in a very short period of time here, but none of it is too complicated to process quickly, and the characters are painted in broad enough strokes as to remain interesting, but given distinctive enough personalities so as to become individuals -- all important, when there are so many of them being introduced at once. (I think I met, like, twenty people in this show's 42-minute running time; that's more people than I can remember in actual

On the acting side of things, so far the standouts are Britt Robertson as ingenue Angie and Dean Norris as the menacing Councilman Jim, but everyone else is perfectly serviceable, and it's lovely to see Aunt Zelda again, be it ever so briefly.

I have to say, I am quite loving the many mysteries already so perplexing here: yes, there's the dome itself, but also why was Barbie in town this very day, and what was Julia's husband "renegotiating" over that got him killed, and what's with the prophecy seizures and, yeah, about that propane delivery...

Not having read the novel on which this show is based, I have no idea at all where this might be going, and I really like it that way. In all, "Pilot" (why do so many shows entitle their pilot episodes "Pilot"? It doesn't show much confidence) is an intriguing first outing of what I dare to dream may be a promising new network sci-fi show. I'm eager to see where this goes!

-- Full review at GEEK SPEAK MAGAZINE -