Under the Dome

Gislef

Under the Dome Fan Reviews page 3 of 5

7.2
  • good but disappointing

at the start UTD was good but now under round fighting what next.... agree with flowergoddess nothig like the book i started reading it after started watching UTD but more differences than similarities for example in book linda married to rusty and have 2 kids and rusty stuck in dome and linda just part time police in prog rusty stuck outside dome and they have no kids. also angie and joe are not related in the book and in the book they can hear people through the dome unlike the prog...... only half way through book so will see....
  • What the frack?

the only thing that has any resemblence to the book is the title every time Stephan King sells the rights to a book they change so much of the story you can't recognise it..... book was so much better and more layered, much more of a study in what happens to power under stress in the wrong more ineresting thanthis poser of a story.. after the cow it went down hill for back me anyone read the sucks in comparison!!!!!
  • Great concept but losing momentum

Pilot layed the grounds for an interesting series with great potential! However, by the 4th or 5th episode realized this one should have been a mini series, at least with the slow momentum and disappointing progression. Not impressed with what could have been a keeper, maybe hiring a few decent actors? With Spielberg and King thought I was in for a great ride, ended up on the merry go round.
  • Great

We love this show... Can not wait each week for it to come on
  • I don't get it

I have recently started with this series and I'm on episode 6. I don't get it. It's totally absurd.

Here we have a group of people cut off from the outside world and all they seem to care about is there petty issues. Nobody so far is concerned about resources being depleted. Something 'impossible' happened and it would appear that for everyone it's just another day. Ok another day we're cut off from the world and EVERYTHING they know, but that's fine.

Also the details don't make sense. Water can come through (slowly). The blast from the MOAB did nothing, not even a shockwave moving through the air which would have put air particles into motion. The list goes on and on..

Can anyone tell me, does it actually start to make sense later on or will it remain an insult to watch?

I really feel for the actors, because they deserve better from the writers.
  • frustratingly compelling

TL;DR I'm just going to go read the book again. At least it makes sense.

I read the book, and although the ending was like "I'm sorry, what?" I thought it was very good. A small town becomes an island run by a man they don't know is corrupt, while kids receive messages from the ether portending the outcome.

But what the hell is this show doing? First of all, there are people alive who shouldn't be. One character in the book starts killing other characters, but in the show the first victim is not only still alive, but somehow a central figure in the mysterious plot! And the egg? Sure, the novel version (a vague metal box) could have been more exciting, but a colour-changing egg?

A few episodes ago, I thought I'd keep watching because I thought it was interesting that they were doing things a bit differently. I thought if they copied the book exactly, it would be boring, therefore the differences are compelling me to keep watching. But if you're just going to look at the cover of a book and say "Hey, that'd be a neat show!" then maybe make up new characters, in a different town.

We all read books that become shows or movies, and we go "How could they leave that part out?" or "Why did they change that part?" But at least the plot is still there. I have literally no idea where this show is headed.

Also, talk of the second season being about another dome somewhere else because it's all a military test hurts me deep inside because the show might actually do it. The dome in the book lasted for quite a long time, there's clearly a few seasons worth of TV in there, but not if they rush through it (like already finding the box/egg?).

/rant
  • big dissapointment

under the dome doesn't make any sense at all. totally ridiculous. i would have thought steven spielberg and steven king could have come up with something a lot better.
  • Only Watching Because is Summer Miniseries, But...

Now that Season 2 has been announced, will we know what the dome is by the end of this season? I like this show but not enough to watch a second season. Guess I'll buy the book and find out the ending.

I don't know what the ending is but thot it would be cool if the "egg" hatches and 2nd season is about the larvae feeding on the folks in the town. LOL!
  • Pollution under the dome answered!!!

Persillico have you actually been paying attention to whats been said in the show??? the dome is like a shiv therefore if water can pas through, albeit in very small quantities, than i am sure CO2 will have no problem escaping too...
  • Pollution under the dome

Love the show, but after watching the episodes released so far I keep wondering when they are going to stop driving everywhere. They were all super worried about the house fire, but what about the fumes and gases from all the cars? Shouldn't there be a total ban on engines running when there's hardly any filtering of the air?

They have trees and plants, but hardly enough to keep CO2 levels down with the total amount of gas in the dome.

I want to see Barbie on a bike ;)

• Too different from book.

I wish the show was more like the book.
  • 2nd season, new town, new characters?

Good show so far. A 13 episode series with a finale that ties up loose ends (no cliff hanger, please!) seems ideal to me!

Since a 2nd season has been announced, I think a lot of people have assumed that the 2nd season will be about the same town under the dome. It's too early to say but maybe it'll be a spin-off ... about a new town with new set of plot dynamics, and a new cast of tragic and scheming characters. If not, I must insist that the producers -- and especially the writers -- NOT turn it into another Lost where the plot gets so bloated that it collapses 'under' its own weight. Don't the fans deserve better than that?
  • unwatchable

Anyone else notice the ratings for this show on here are either 4 and lower or 8 and higher?? Thinking people from the network are trying to boost it's rating on here. The show is terrible. The premise is great, which makes its execution even more painful. Dialogue = terrible. It's only there to advance the plot, there is NO character development. It's boring, and the subplots are terrible. Disappointing.
  • To quote the website, "FTW or WTF"..

A mini-series such as this should only have 1 season. Renewing it for a second season is just greedy. "Oh, it's doing well?! Well heck, let's drag it out to fill our Stephen King, you should be ashamed! You were once a great author, now you are a shell of your former glory and milk what little success as long as you can.. I will not be watching Season 2, and as I have read the book, I think I'll pass on the remainder of Season 1 as well... >:(
  • Good start, but American companies always think about money, not quality!

Well, the start of this tv show was promising! I have read the book and, by comparison, the tv show was doing really great (if you forget the fact that Junior's behaviour in the book is explained by the fact that he has a brain tumor and that he kills Angie in the very first chapters!).

However, I think that the American production companies should learn from the BBC when producing a novel-based tv show, that is to say, keep the book always with you (Stephen, you are helping them! Come on!) and make it brief and concise! Two seasons? Are you kidding me? And some people wonder why viewers lose their interest as tv shows go on!
  • Well, it is Summer

It's good for a summer show... but let's be honest, the bar wasn't that high.
  • a good start followed by a major failure...

i can't believe they renewed the show for a second season

the first episode was promising

but starting with the second one, i found it so boring...

was the producer inspired by the Simpsons ????

the guy playing Junior is such a bad actor...

wow, a lesbian multiracial couple with a teen daughter, what a modern clich

a guy called "Barbie" seriously ?
  • I like it, but is it good enough?

First off I want to say I'm enjoying the show, to an extent. If I had anything else to watch I would be watching that instead. The biggest thing about the dome that is turning me off it a lot, is the whole keeping Angie locked up for so long. That part among everything else really brought the show down. She was missing for days, even if she was a "flake" as it was suggested, are we really suppose to believe that after the first day of her missing, her brother wasn't going nuts worrying about her and running around town asking if people had seen her. Are we really suppose to believe that he waited days before doing that? Especially with everything going on. Also maybe it's the actor or maybe it's the character itself, but I really don't like junior and not in a "oh I hate this villain but he is a good villain" way. I mean I think he shouldn't be in the show, at all. Like I said I don't know if it's the actual character or the actor himself, but I really feel the show would be way better if it didn't have him in it. There are a few other problems but those are the 2 biggies for me. Overall it's enjoying but it's not something that has me hooked in wanting more, the show could get cancelled right now and it wouldn't bother me at all.
  • hmmz boring?

2.5
    I'm getting kinda aggravated by this show. It started out to be a good concept but now it's just wrong.

The story is going no where, the characters aren't in any way interesting and after 6 episodes there is nothing clear. It's cheesy. And Although I'm from the Netherlands, I hate cheesy stuff.

The only reason why I'm still watching this is because of Rachelle LeFevre. I know her from "A gifted man" which was okay. I can't figure out why Dean Norris was GREAT in Breaking bad, but now he is just totally (big) shit!
  • Replay to: emeraldcity // SPOILER ALERT

If you were intelligent enough to watch... I don't know, some other episode you'd start to see

###################SPOILER ALERT#######################################

that for instance, water (or a little portion of it) can pass through the dome, like a strainer. They hosed the dome from the outside and some water came in. I'm guessing so does air. So... just keep watching the show or just dont comment on sh*t you know nothing about
  • Hooked...

My husband and I have watched every episode, we're anxiously waiting to see what comes next.
  • I'd have a more considered review, but my Y chromosome prevents it, apparently.

1.5
    Having watched the first two episodes, I just can't watch any more. As interested in the premise as I was, I'm frankly shocked by what seems to me to be the most blatantly sexist television program in recent memory. Essentially, the female characters are exclusively the heroes and the male characters are almost exclusively villains, or at least deeply, dangerously flawed; foolish; violent; philandering; and selfish. Were the characters' genders reversed the program would have drawn instant, vocal criticism. When will the current crop of writers learn that crafting strong female characters doesn't require them to be contrasted with weak male ones? This sets the cause of genuine gender neutrality back decades.

It's a shame, because the premise is so promising. I suppose I could read the book, but King's work tends to go to the precise opposite extreme. Maybe I could read a chapter then balance it out with an episode. Or possibly not.
  • Going to be a hit

at the first ten minutes I thought .. okay this is going to be boring.. but after watching the first episode.. I am hooked.. I think this show is going to be great... better then the rest of the crap they put on television
  • video is strange

Strange
  • Ha Ha Ha

4.5
    I only watched the first episode but it seemed a bit stupid to crete a show that only has about 72 hours worth of oxygen in it-beyond which there be suffocation. I suppose a good writer would play with the obvious limitations of the initial synopsis but I think there is only so much you can expect an audience to accept even if it is a work of pure fiction. Didn't that used to be a deodorant jingle years ago? Three shows later they're all a bunch of zombie cannibals who stink to high ha ha.
  • Really horrible!

I'm just watching the show because they already started and want to see what goes on, but it's too bad, no point nothing happens, or the simplest logic.
  • Major flaws with The Dome...

4.5
    I hate this I can't stop watching it. It's amazing that both Stephen King and Steven Spielberg can stand for these inconsistancies. Here's a cuple of thoughts: From the opening overhead shot of the town, you can see that it must be a town of at least 4000 people - this means to me that there must be a few real estate offices, title companies, dentist offices, attorney offices, doctors offices and several churches, a high school, etc. etc. Where are all the professional, educated manager type townspeople?? How come every news media outlet in the country were not holding around the clock vigils outside the dome covering this story? Why wouldn't the county, state and federal government not communicate via visual signs to talk to the people inside the dome? Why wouldn't the military inform the townspeople of their intentions of trying to explode the dome? Why doesn't ANY of the townspeople speak with a New England accent? Why didn't crooked Big Jim simply put a bullet in the head of the farmer for his water (after all, he's killed before)? Why hasn't the brainiac Asian womanwho works for the radio station and our beautiful media reporter not easily conclude that Chester's Mill is some kind of "ant farm" experiment for the dome intelligence?

These questions go on and on for me. I could walk into the script room today and help the writers make some of these things more plausible.
  • Stupidist show on tv right now

I put this show on the PVR, watched 5 minutes, and am now removing it. I like GOOD sci-fi. The horrible acting made me snicker - especially some old guy and the female law enforcement officer. I don't need to see any more than the 5 minutes. This is HORRIBLE and stupid.
  • Season 2...

3.5
    This show is really bad. People still watching like me, to see if gets any better. But keeps getting worse!
  • yet another dome

The Simpson's movie was, at least, funny. This just gets worse and worse. Who the hell renewed this turkey? What's the storyline next season? "Well, here we are under the dome Will there at least be a new dome, maybe one that allows air to get in? This story is lame.
1 2 3 4 5