Under the Dome

Monday 10:00 PM on CBS Premiered Jun 24, 2013 Returning June 30th, 2014

Gislef

Under the Dome Fan Reviews (108)

7.3
  • Why is every man bad and every woman good?

I started watching this show recently and I am on the seventh episode. What annoys me to no end about it is that every man is evil, corrupt and/or crazy. Every woman, on the other hand is good and intelligent. SPOILERS: Three male policemen and one female. Guess who is the only one standing by episode four. The sheriff was corrupt. The one male deputy was crazy. The preacher was corrupt, evil and crazy. The mayor is corrupt and evil. His son is evil. The male enforcer is an evil murderer. There is not one decent male in the show (in terms of being good) that I have seen with the exception of a single kid. All of the women, however, are good, hyper-competent engineers, doctors, etc..

The men are evil and women are good gender bias on the show is even incredibly skewed for Hollywood's already skewed standards. Thus far, it has made an otherwise entertaining show annoying to me.
  • its takes time !

I first started watching this show when it initially aired in the uk but decided to give it a miss after the 3 episode , however I recently returned to it and watched all of the episode in like 3 days ! After each ep I was left thinking how are they going to top this , will the season finally compare etc and they manage to keep it interesting , with a good mix of sci fi and drama !
  • All series seems to be scy fi

The whole idea is great The execution like so many series is lame If 20 % of the people are smoking How come in all series we see today no one smokes ? Is this self censorship or what ?

Make people what they warts an all To sweet is bad for you teeth ! So many series are badly made when It could be so different
  • Good idea, badly made, just like Jerrico

Those people are so annoying, they deserve to die, faster please !
  • Same as "no ordinary family" :D

Big Jim Rennie is like Chuck Norris
  • Riveting

I really like this show. Some shows have a nifty premise that makes me really curious and I enjoy a few episodes and then I just get bored and give up . Revolution) but I feel Dome does a good job of continually moving forward, using individual episode stories, mini-story arcs (like the war between Jim and that farmer) and the ongoing story arc to keep viewers engaged. The series always offers enough new things - mini dome, military chatter, murders - to make it feel like its skimming along even if we never really seem closer to finding out what's going on. I do, however, feel Big Jim is becoming a problem; he's an interesting character, but where can you take him at this point, now that his evil is fully developed?

I am also fascinated by the reviews on this site, because almost everyone here either gives it a 1 or a 9/10. It's so weird how hostile/enthusiastic the responses are. A lot of the 1s seem to be from people who read the book, so I guess they're not getting the series they imagined in their head. But 1s or 10s, most people aren't bothering to really explain why they feel this way; they just say "it's awesome" or "it That's why, even though I wanted to start by talking about the reviews because it's such an odd phenomenon, I started with my take on the show and why I liked.

For me, Under the Dome and Haven are the two most successful King-based series. Now I'm going to go read the reviews of Haven and see if these weird review extremes have something to do with Stephen King.
  • Barbie N Julia

I have read in another forum that Julia is pregnant with the Monarch? Is that possible. She is not the monarch but she will give birth to it, and that Barbie is the chosen Male donor. Yesss, that will be awesome.
  • Way to slow

The story line moves to slow for me. I would watch to find more about the dome but there little to no change so im done. I lost interest around the 10th show.
  • FEW EPISODES

4.5
    I THINK THAT YOU MAY INCREASE THE EPISODES IN NEXT SEASON WE REALY LOVE IT.
  • What a complete load of tosh

Under the dome should now be call called Dead and Burried which is where it belongs. Especially the last few episodes. It's difficult to believe how bad Brian Vaughan & spellberg could get it so wrong.

The problem here, though, is that none of the characters is compelling or sympathetic. We just wanna find out what's up with that dome, but instead, we're forced to watch these poorly conceptualized folks interact with each other with eye-rolling dialogue like, "So they say you're passin' through town. What are you runnin' from?" Every now and then, someone mentions they're worried the dome may collapse onto Chester's Mill. Frankly, my fingers are crossed that's exactly what will happen. No town this boring should be allowed to stay on the map.
  • Season finale disappointment

All I have to say is whoever wrote the season finale doesn't need to write anymore episodes for under the dome
  • Are You Kidding?

My partner has a saying for the DVD's we see. "That was a waste of 2 hours of my life". Watching this, it would seem to me that it was a whole lot more hours wasted in my life. I guess I kept watching because I figured hey, these guys are great writers and film makers! What the heck HAPPENED, guys? Wish there was a minus for my rating.
  • Mixed Review

4.5
    All i can say is that it has been good enough that I have watched all 13 episodes. Haven't read the book. King isn't my kind of author. But I like the premise of the story, which kept me coming back; however, this program has "milk it" written all over it. Anyone remember "Lost"?

It seems to me that producers have in their little minds that people are brainwave challenged. And yes, maybe more than half the country are challenged but that doesn't mean that a possible intelligent show (that it could have been) should suffer the consequences and be dumbed down itself.

Maybe it was the book? Can't speak to that but I do know that I think I'll just pass on Season 2 and beyond. I'm not going to be strung along for the dairy ride.

• what a joke

never thought i live to see the day stephen king ,screwed up a book was tv show sucked ass big time. nothing like the book at should have been left alone and done like the was a sure he could care less about what i have to say,but it was the worst thing he's done in my opinion.
  • the show

I loved it it was one of the best t v show i have seen in a while steven spellberg is a great writer I am happy that the show will be back next season i love barbie not to grazy about big jim i do like . and all of the friends
  • Dissapointed

For anybody who is enjoying the series do not read the book! It will ruin the series for you.... I think that Under the Dome is one of the best books that King has ever written and I have read every one he ever wrote including under Bachman. There has never been a book that I have finished and immediately re-opened and started over. The story is great, the characters perfect. The series took all that away. There are so many things that are different in the series, things that were very important to the story in the book that it makes the series not make sense and not anywhere near as good. It really is a huge dissapointment and I am sad that Stephen King allowed producers to chop up such a great story!!!
  • YAY! I am so happy!

This show have been renewed for 2nd season! I watched all episodes of 1st season and it was incredible! :)
  • What a rip

the only reason i watched this in the first place is that it was just supposed to be a 13 episode mini serise and then end, im done i will just ask my fiancee what happens and be done with it.
  • meh/...........

3.5
    what a show and not in a good way!

I do like joe and jim

but the show is just like a sify show on meanstream tv.

i even ask myself why would a star of breakingbad be in a shit show like this

most of the time it looks like a liftime story or syfy tv crap

only reason i watched it was for big jim and joe

dont know if i will watch season 2 if there is one

the final episode was just like a in between episode

sure season 2 starts with o hey dome is down all hail big jim and god

and season 2 final we will see 30 sec of an alien existens

and i cant believe spielberg is in this mess

• Terrible acting

Terrible acting all around. WTF. Deputy Linda Esquivel especially needs to be eliminated from the show.

Boring episodes stretched out for no reason.

Chester's Mill people needs to calm down. Instead of getting Google Fiber, they got something even better. They got the best missile defense system in the world!!!
  • not a BIRD so don't give me bread crumbs

Talk about taking 60 seconds and turning it into an hour's show. Under the dome is like the old soaps where you could catch 1 show a month and know what's going up. Very upset with the so called finale and calling it "Curtains",,,,,,, maybe calling it "Quits" would have been a more fitting name.
  • The big picture - a theory

So what's really going on here? Let's put a few of the "facts" presented on the show together and see if we can guess. (And no, I haven't read the book, even if the show was remotely following it, so no future spoilers will be found here... unless I'm right).

- Since the dome fell, Big Jim has gone from a minor role on the town council to effectively Emperor of Chester's Mill.

- He was curiously well prepared for it. A huge stockpile of propane... The only councilor not at the big game.. hmmm.

- He has a hidden agenda. He doesn't want the dome to come down. There's something he wants pretty badly inside.

- He seems pretty adept at murder and mayhem, even for a used car salesman. Could it be this isn't his first rodeo?

- The dome seems to want him dead, and is secretly recruiting and training agents to do the job.

- The military is involved but don't seem to be running things.

Now on to the wild speculation: Big Jim's wife (Junior's Mom) died under mysterious circumstances some time ago. Suppose before she became an artist, she was a clerk or secretary at a nearby defense lab or think tank? After leaving to marry Big Jim, she stayed in touch with some of the old gang. One day, a former colleague and lover, Jeff Goldblum, arrives at her door, warning of a new secret "fringe science" project in the early planning stages, of the dire consequences of technology gone mad, and how Chester's Mill might fare if things go really sideways. He also gives her some insurance, "just in case". She can't tell anyone, because she's still sworn to the official secrets act, so she takes up "art", hoping her childish watercolors will be enough of a hint to warn people. Becoming more erratic under the burden of her big secret, she finally breaks down and tells Big Jim. Big mistake. The next thing you know, she's dead. Was it an accident? Suicide? You tell me, but Big Jim seems pretty comfortable with dirty deeds, so maybe this is where it all started. Of course, it could have been the CIA or military, but my money's on Big Jim. When she died, her insurance kicked in, capturing her psychic energy and storing it in a mysterious egg hidden in the woods. Years later, when the project finally reaches testing stage, Jeff's worst fears are realized, and Chester's Mill is cut off from the world. The egg may not be powering the dome, but it's certainly controlling it, and Big Jim's dead wife is controlling the egg. Why else would Junior be one of the dome's chosen ones? The military is locked out, because the control unit is inside, where they can't get at it. Their only hope is Barbie, a former black ops guy with the skill set to turn the thing off, if they can only contact him. So if Big Jim knew this was coming, why didn't he just leave? Could the chance of being the absolute ruler of Chester's Mill be enough of a reason to stay? I think not. There's something else about the dome or it's technology that Big Jim wants enough to kill for. Either that, or he knows that bringing it down involves him getting killed himself. Either way, he'll stop at nothing to maintain the status quo, and won't let Barbie or anyone else get in his way. Being top dog in town is just a means to an end.

Of course this doesn't explain all of the bad acting, or the mindless stupidity exhibited by most citizens of Chester's Mill. Maybe the dome is sucking away their minds, so it can turn them all into zombies.

PS. Could Jeff Goldblum be Junior's real father? Did you notice how much taller he is than "Big" Jim?

• Typical unbelievable story from one of the worst authors of our time

This show is pathetic on every level. King has an uncanny way of making human behavior completely unbelievable. Even if you want to watch you can't because every action and reaction are such nonsense.
  • soooo dissappointed - this one had the potential to be something new and great

Under the Dome started out great but I'm becoming disappointed in it now. It looked like it would be a series about people pulling together to help each other, and that might be going on in the background but we've only gotten a few small glimpses of it. The show seems to have gone the way of all shows with uninterested writers at the helm, just cranking out the same old plot for a paycheck. It is now just another show about people vying for power and creating misery and destruction in the process. So sad. This COULD have been a different, interesting, enlightening show about humans teaming together and helping each other survive when they were lost from surrounding civilization. There was a farm under the dome and sources of water and electricity. There were skilled people in the town. The show should have centered on the people working the farm, distributing the water, sharing the available food while they created more, the few medical staff teaching new people the bare bones of medical knowledge needed in case they (the present medical staff) died, women who sewed or spun yarn teaching willing young women the skills needed to continue to clothe the town, carpenters, plumbers, farmers, electricians, librarians, and other skilled workers taking on youngsters interested in learning those skills in case those who had them passed on. It should have shown mothers teaming up in groups and taking turns as caretakers for each others children so four out of every five could help work the fields to feed their kids or create clothing for the town, or even assist in other skilled labor. Sooo much could have been addressed here to make it a special and different show. Instead the writers have resorted to shoot-em-up-bang-bang, fight, kill, manipulate . Boring, boring, disappointing, predictably repetitive and nothing disappointed.
  • One of the best series I have ever seen

I haven't read the book from Steven King, but in my opinion it is one of the best series I have ever seen.
  • Under The Chrome Dome

I hope this series ends in 2 weeks and is gone forever. I don't want it to drag out season after season. I'm tired of it.
  • open minded

The writers keeping brining me back please keep it going
  • Brain Cell Holiday

As bad as bad gets. On a positive note, it lowers the bar so much that shows like Revolution suddenly appear cerebral.
  • Butchered

If you didn't read the book, the TV show at best is mildly entertaining. Just don't look for anything too deep. If you read the book, the show is a train wreck waiting to happen. You can't help but watch to see how badly they butchered the story how how they'll wrap it up.
  • good but disappointing

at the start UTD was good but now under round fighting what next.... agree with flowergoddess nothig like the book i started reading it after started watching UTD but more differences than similarities for example in book linda married to rusty and have 2 kids and rusty stuck in dome and linda just part time police in prog rusty stuck outside dome and they have no kids. also angie and joe are not related in the book and in the book they can hear people through the dome unlike the prog...... only half way through book so will see....