Under the Dome

Monday 10:00 PM on CBS Premiered Jun 24, 2013 In Season

Gislef

Under the Dome Fan Reviews (128)

7.2
  • Story nicked from

Why is no one cross that Stephen King has simply lifted the story right from an Outer Limits episode called A Feasibility Study. The remake in 1990's is even closer. I like Stephen King, but hate plagiarism.. especially when no one seems to have mentioned it.

Anyway TV show is terrible
  • Best drama ever

I have been watching Under the Dome since it began and it has been the best drama I have ever watched. Edge of the seat suspense with unexpected turns that make you have watch the next one. I love this show and I sure hope that they can keep it going for a while.
  • Almost jumping the shark

I swear if Gilligan, whoops I mean Big Jim prevents them from leaving that island 1 more time, whoops I mean the dome - I going to scream
  • An engaging Sci-Fi drama, but not without some flaws

I am a Stephen King reader and I admire his delvings into the depths of humanity in each work. I've read Under the Dome myself, in fact, I had to make some haste readings to finish the book before the series even started. Initially, from what I have seen from the first season, it followed the book. However, with Steven Spielberg at the helms of executive producer, that means we also get some stuff that was not in the book. Plenty of Farfetched moments occur throughout, such as magnetism attacks, locust swarms, acid blood rain, shifting dome, and a cliff that takes people onto the outside of the dome. However, even with all this, I still feel compelled to keep watching. The acting is very good for all especially for Mike Vogel as Dale Barbera and Rachelle LaFevre as Julia. Even Big Jim deserves credit as a corrupt head of Chester's Mill.
  • The story is now finally moving forward by "coming out of the dome"

In season 1 they were trying hard to make it like "Lost" and that never worked but Season 2 has been pretty good although the writers have still not abandoned their attempts of making it like Lost but at least now they are moving the story forward. Casting was never a problem for the show. They did get the best talents and newcomers of Season 2 are also just as good. The only problem of the show was it's story which like the show seemed to be trapped "under a dome" and was not moving forward. The writers are still not using the characters effectively. Junior, Melanie, Barbie's Father and Sam are interesting characters who are not being given more screen time and Rebecca and Phil are being unnecessary time
  • Finally some progress

I would have shot Big Jim and his son back in season 1, both annoying and evil.

For many episode this show has been doing what I like to call "churning". Nothing happens, no progress just useless filler and spin. (24 is the churn king, IMHO. They were able to make an entire season fit into 12 episodes) This show has the same problem, fluff and little content to move the story.

Lets go here. Now go there. Yak a bit. Throw someone in jail. Let them out and go over there now. Rinse and repeat for episode after episode. CHURN, CHURN, CHURN, CHURN.

BORING.

Finally, the story is developing, just in time to end the season. BOO.

Stupidest thing Under The Dome - A plane crash inside. The damned dome is hardly large enough for a small plane to take off. What the heck was the pilot thinking?

Best thing Under The Dome - Bovine bisection. Fire up the barbie for some ribs. WOOOT

Saddest thing Under The Dome - Brit left the show. I only started to watch because of her.

• Heating up!!!!!

For the most part of season 2 I thought under the dome was starting to get boring,and had knower else to go, but i'll admit I was wrong, came just at the write moment introducing outside of the dome creating alot more questions but answering alot of the lingering questions which was starting to go on for to long!!! The last 4 or 5 episodes have been amazing really hope it takes off from here and we learn more about what the domes there for and how everyone ties in, not back to the boring old jim renny wild west show lmao!!! cant wait for next week!!!!!
  • Epic Awful

If you thought Intelligence was a good high tech adventure show and Gang Related is a good police drama, then UTD is just the sci-fi/fantasy show for you. Not just that the fact that they, and unfortunately that includes the author himself, took kind of a good little Stephen King novel that was very un-mystical and filled it with mysteries and plot twists that have nothing to do with the original, and then took the two spookiest characters (the real monsters) and turned them into regular people. No, without comparing it to the book at all, this stands on its own two feet and absolutely sucks. Nothing to redeem it.
  • One season too many?

This show was supposed to last one season and 13 episodes, but the show did well in the ratings, so CBS decided they needed to extend the show another season (for the advertising bucks). When you have to extend a show that was supposed to last 13 episodes, you have to stretch it with made up stuff to last another season and that's what we are getting now. The 2nd season is not too bad, but should have concluded after the single season.
  • Igdada

• my opinion on UTD

i don't know why there are so many bad reviews about this show, when its actually watchable the actors are not that bad and some are actually cute like Barbie( dale barbra) and i think its a really nice show.
  • lost in the dome, that should be the name.

1.5
    when will this show go anywhere? everybody running around like a chicken with it's head cut off. it's like the show Lost, but it's Lost in a freakin giant snow-globe (dust storm). enough already, let's move on. c'mon writers, include the viewer into what the hell's going on, already. all we need are the "others". and fake beards--blah blah blah. been there done that. or the giant lost snow globe can go back in time and get a nuke to blow the snow, or freakin dust around. i've come to the understanding, that i've already wasted enough of time invested in this freakin show that is not giving any answers so far, or maybe i'm just lost.
  • The series should be called "IN THE SPHERE"

The dome is actually a spherical bubble that encompasses the whole town. This is why they cannot find the edge of the dome trying to dig under it to escape. I am sure you will see this next week when they explore that hidden tunnel found inside the locker. The sphere is actually a force field that prevents anyone from penetrating it.

Remember the mention of a meteor that fell to earth at the location where they found that small sphere? This sphere was sent from outer space by an alien life form to bring the town back to a place in space for research into how people live and coincide together on earth. It's like ants in an ant farm.

Eventually the town will be lifted off the earth and hurled into space for its long journey to a place light years away. The people in the town are already experiencing the effects of the alien's experiments by them seeing loved ones that have passed away years ago. Like Melanie Cross that is now in town who lived years ago and supposedly died. Will this place in space be Heaven or will it be Hell? I guess we will just have to wait and see.

• Boring as death

What happend ? Season 1 was "acceptable", but season 2... So boring, so lame, characters not interesting, except ones who died... rather go to bed... to bad
  • Utter tripe.

Horrible, Horrible , Horrible plot writing. I will be giving this a miss from here on in as it is just awful TV.

The Character development is bad I find it hard to identify with any of them I do not find any of the dialogue between characters interesting either.

There is a dome around the town and I did initially want to know what it was all about but not anymore.

I have rated this show a 1 which seems a bit generous.
  • I can see why some people think this is shit

it has shit acting, shit story, shit dialog, shit visual effect, shit anti climatic execution. and i only five episode in. i thought at least this must be a decent show, the basic plot is interesting and names like steven spielberg and stephen king really lifted the stock. I really want to give this a chance but after ep5, when I saw how dumb they executed a good plot, i officially give up. goodbye under the dome....
  • I don't get it...

... It's only been 2 weeks since the dome appeared. Let's think about Julia - in that time her husband was killed, she got over it and moved Barbie into her house, found out he killed her husband, got over that, was shot almost fatally by Natalie Zea, fully recovered, broke up with Barbie and now seems to have her eye on Sam. At this rate she could be a grandmother by the fourth week!

And what about the govt? They waited a whole 5 or 6 days before they nuked the dome? (sort of "accidentally" leveling Maine and several surrounding states) Yeah, that makes sense.

What's the point of this 2-week time frame plot device when the events and acting are totally inconsistent with that premise?

IIRC Lost also had a compressed timeline, but it was much more consistent with the storyline?

But I am still watching even though not much of a King fan - only ever read the thoroughly mediocre Dark Tower series. Oddly, though, I still like the mysterious characters populating Haven too...
  • Under The Dome jumped the shark in season two

Season one was pretty good for the most part. Why in the world would they kill off the most interesting character in the beginning of season two is a bigger mystery than the sudden appearance of an indestructible doom over a small town. The character of Rebecca Pine, is a total cheat and displays the laziness of the writers. Nowhere in all of human history can there be found a black woman that acted in her manner. Her attitudes and actions are absolutely unbelievable. For her as a black woman new comer to a predominantly white community lead by a white man, and push him into engaging in a preemptive eugenics extermination plan has no bases in reality. She would be concerned that she or others like her would be among those classified as expendable. For the writers to introduce her in the story line, to keep the hands of the communities leader clean is divisive and a disservice to her demographic. Nice try, but we got ya!
  • I hope there is a next season!!!!!

I love this show and would have been disappointed if this had only been a one season show. There is not enough shows that you have to think a little to watch. That is only one of the things I love about the show. I also love the twist and turns. Not sure if I am watching the same show as some of the people with the negative comments. Plus everyone has there own opinions and see thing differently. My mom who watches no Sci-fy and does not watch more than 4 hrs a week of TV, loves it too. The person who said "every man is evil, corrupt and/or crazy. Every woman, on the other hand is good and intelligent" has to be a man because most other shows make the man all superior and the woman weak and reliant on a man!! I like shows that have the men not so perfect and the woman good and intelligent!!
  • I've Had Enough

This was a great idea and show last summer until CBS got greedy and insisted on a second season. What little Sci-Fi is left in each episode is LOST by all the nonsense and filler. I just deleted the series from my DVR last night after watching the latest offering. And I will take a lot before I jump into any future CBS "limited series" shows.
  • An insult to intelligence!!

Great premise, awful script, awful acting, awful everything unless you're in the 8 to 12 age group, then I'd highly recommend it to you :)

• bad dragged out show

1.5
    Its a show that should have ended after 1 season, no its a joke
  • Why is every man bad and every woman good?

I started watching this show recently and I am on the seventh episode. What annoys me to no end about it is that every man is evil, corrupt and/or crazy. Every woman, on the other hand is good and intelligent. SPOILERS: Three male policemen and one female. Guess who is the only one standing by episode four. The sheriff was corrupt. The one male deputy was crazy. The preacher was corrupt, evil and crazy. The mayor is corrupt and evil. His son is evil. The male enforcer is an evil murderer. There is not one decent male in the show (in terms of being good) that I have seen with the exception of a single kid. All of the women, however, are good, hyper-competent engineers, doctors, etc..

The men are evil and women are good gender bias on the show is even incredibly skewed for Hollywood's already skewed standards. Thus far, it has made an otherwise entertaining show annoying to me.
  • its takes time !

I first started watching this show when it initially aired in the uk but decided to give it a miss after the 3 episode , however I recently returned to it and watched all of the episode in like 3 days ! After each ep I was left thinking how are they going to top this , will the season finally compare etc and they manage to keep it interesting , with a good mix of sci fi and drama !
  • Good idea, badly made, just like Jerrico

Those people are so annoying, they deserve to die, faster please !
  • Same as "no ordinary family" :D

4.5
    Big Jim Rennie is like Chuck Norris
  • Riveting

I really like this show. Some shows have a nifty premise that makes me really curious and I enjoy a few episodes and then I just get bored and give up . Revolution) but I feel Dome does a good job of continually moving forward, using individual episode stories, mini-story arcs (like the war between Jim and that farmer) and the ongoing story arc to keep viewers engaged. The series always offers enough new things - mini dome, military chatter, murders - to make it feel like its skimming along even if we never really seem closer to finding out what's going on. I do, however, feel Big Jim is becoming a problem; he's an interesting character, but where can you take him at this point, now that his evil is fully developed?

I am also fascinated by the reviews on this site, because almost everyone here either gives it a 1 or a 9/10. It's so weird how hostile/enthusiastic the responses are. A lot of the 1s seem to be from people who read the book, so I guess they're not getting the series they imagined in their head. But 1s or 10s, most people aren't bothering to really explain why they feel this way; they just say "it's awesome" or "it That's why, even though I wanted to start by talking about the reviews because it's such an odd phenomenon, I started with my take on the show and why I liked.

For me, Under the Dome and Haven are the two most successful King-based series. Now I'm going to go read the reviews of Haven and see if these weird review extremes have something to do with Stephen King.
  • Barbie N Julia

I have read in another forum that Julia is pregnant with the Monarch? Is that possible. She is not the monarch but she will give birth to it, and that Barbie is the chosen Male donor. Yesss, that will be awesome.
  • Way to slow

The story line moves to slow for me. I would watch to find more about the dome but there little to no change so im done. I lost interest around the 10th show.
  • FEW EPISODES

4.5
    I THINK THAT YOU MAY INCREASE THE EPISODES IN NEXT SEASON WE REALY LOVE IT.