Under the Dome

Speak of the Devil

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Sep 02, 2013 on CBS

7.2
  • Don't make the Dome angry. You wouldn't like it when it's angry.

Damn it, UNDER THE DOME! Will you please stop getting sporadically good? I don't know how much more of this rollercoaster I can take. One week, I am full of disdain for your abject silliness, the next I am riveted by some truly clever plot twists and intriguing characterization. Seriously, you're as confusing as the Dome itself, one minute all ludicrous fight club antics and the next tightly-plotted action and captivating mystery.

One thing that remains consistent throughout all your episodes, at least, is the stupidity of pretty much everyone. Honestly, what is with the people in this town deliberately raising the ire of their enemies? That's just asking for trouble. Barbie, Angie, Max; they all run their mouths, and then seem taken aback when the objects of their threats turn around and bite them. Show some sense, people.

Speaking of Max, I am so disappointed in what they did to her -- oh, obviously she had to die, she was a nasty piece of work and of course Big Jim wasn't going to stand for being treated like a whipping boy too long. But for her to have (so awesomely) shot Julia for as schoolgirlish a reason as jealousy, especially when she had to know she'd be the prime suspect, really detracts from her cold and calculating boss lady vibe. Way to take a kickass character and run her into the ground, show.

So now, next week! Barbie the fugitive, with not only the folks in Chester's Mill but the military outside the Dome because, yep, Dodee got her radio to the outside world to work JUST AS THEY WERE SAYING THIS also interested in his whereabouts, as well. Why IS the military looking for Barbie, though? Is it the friendly fire incident he and his army/marine/whatever unit covered up? Does it have something to do with the commanding officer he saved with the same trick he uses on Julia this week (and about which Joe decides IN THE MIDDLE OF A CRITICAL AMATEUR OPERATION is a good time to have a chat)? Could it be that there even more to the mystery that is Barbie than the simple collection-agent-with-a-heart-of-gold back story we have so far received? Let's hope so.

Meanwhile, are there surveillance cameras outside the old cement factory, perchance? Tell me there are surveillance cameras outside the old cement factory! Then maybe the Prophecy Seizure Club won't have to kill Big Jim at all, and Sheriff Linda will actually prove herself useful. Notably absent from this episode, by the way: S8ter Ben, and Norrie's Mom Who isn't Samantha Mathis. This time she doesn't even rate a mention, in fact. At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if we never see her again: the Dome really isn't very kind to moms.

Nor is it kind to me. Because after this outing, I'm actually looking forward to the next episode, and I HATE when that happens.

FULL REVIEW AT GEEK SPEAK MAGAZINE