Undercover Boss Forums

Friday 8:00 PM on CBSIn Season

Is it for real?

LindaFischer0

[1]Mar 14, 2010
    • level: 1

I starting watching this show from the beginning. The more I watch, the more I wonder if it is real or not. It seems so scripted. How many people really tell a new person with cameras going, all about their lives? It just feels very hokey to me.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

netgoddess

[2]Mar 25, 2010
    • level: 10
    I'm starting to wonder, they always seem to pick people from certain backgrounds or with certain medical conditions or overworked parents.

I don't think people specifically know why they're being filmed but I'm pretty sure they're on alert because of the camera crew and stuff.

LillianPicker

[3]Mar 28, 2010

I still watch this show, but am disappointed that every show pretty much has the same formula: nice guy briefly tries on a few different roles, discovers several hard workers and sad stories, and usually one "bad" employee. Then at the big reveal, the boss gives certain emotionally-charged gifts, makes a minor change in one person's employment status, and that's it. The rest is just fluff and feel-good drama. So, I suspect these shows are much more scripted than they would have us think. Sorry to be so cynical, because I love the premise of the Big Bad Boss seeing the error of his ways and making some meaningful improvements for his hard-working employees.

pamhalpert

[4]Mar 28, 2010
    • level: 14
    LillianPicker wrote:

I still watch this show, but am disappointed that every show pretty much has the same formula: nice guy briefly tries on a few different roles, discovers several hard workers and sad stories, and usually one "bad" employee. Then at the big reveal, the boss gives certain emotionally-charged gifts, makes a minor change in one person's employment status, and that's it. The rest is just fluff and feel-good drama. So, I suspect these shows are much more scripted than they would have us think. Sorry to be so cynical, because I love the premise of the Big Bad Boss seeing the error of his ways and making some meaningful improvements for his hard-working employees.

I think the show is also largely about recognizing individual employees who go above and beyond their regular job description.

antdude

[5]Apr 4, 2010
    • level: 27
    I wonder if they have more people and tasks that they didn't show.

pgsuperfan

[6]Apr 5, 2010
    • level: 25

I have wondered the same thing

dispatcheremtb

[7]Apr 11, 2010

a lot will say something hoping that their story will go back to corp. Also the area that I live they would open up to you the same way.

pgsuperfan

[8]Mar 28, 2011

it is already getting BORING

JimDeNofrio

[9]Apr 2, 2011

Linda, you are the only person that sees thru this phoney TV series. You have a boss running around with a camera and sound man following your every move and no one is the wisest. how dumb are those people who work for those compnaies? And since the series has been on for a while you would think that some of the workers would of figured it out already.

pgsuperfan

[10]Apr 11, 2011

JimDeNofrio wrote:

Linda, you are the only person that sees thru this phoney TV series. You have a boss running around with a camera and sound man following your every move and no one is the wisest. how dumb are those people who work for those compnaies? And since the series has been on for a while you would think that some of the workers would of figured it out already.

Yep like they don't see all the camera you have a good point

antdude

[11]May 2, 2011
    • level: 27
    pgsuperfan wrote:

it is already getting BORING

Uh, stop watching it then? I don't even watch all episodes. I only watch the interesting companies and jobs.

zzz1767

[12]Jun 6, 2011

I think the CEO plays more of a puss than in reality. CEOs are smart people. They are risk takers. These jobs they do, like sorting books or crawling under houses, should be a no brainer. At least for me, it would; and I don't consider myself very smart nor have experience in manual dexterity.

I originally started watching the show because I am a CEO of a VERY SMALL company. I thought I'd learn something and I did in the beginning episodes. But now, all they do is rave about a few employees. They should be making changes to company policy. For example, Belfor CEO should be scraping his personal jet, taking that money and putting it back into the company to cover for the hiring/raise freeze. I guess I just expect too much because I was trained in a company where the CxOs took a 10% pay cut when the company was on an employment freeze.

I also believe that companies pay or at least compete for an episode. In most cases, it is good publicity for the company as long as the CEO doesn't really f-up... Which happened back in White Castle.

Rob