Undercovers Forums

NBC (ended 2010)

Effectively Cancelled

Jacks_Son

[1]Nov 4, 2010
    • level: 13

NBC has decided not to pick up the back nine episodes of its J.J. Abrams-produced series, effectively canceling it. It will stay on the air, however, through at least Dec. 1.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jack756

[2]Nov 4, 2010
    • level: 14

this sucks but i knew it was coming b/c ppl keep bashing the show so i knew it was a matter of time.i understand why they cancel it but i am also kind of mad..i love the show b/c it show black people(even do the stars are from europe)in a good light,i love the action and 11/4/10 epsiode was great u can see boris and gugu started to have some real chemistry and i notice gugu can really can act(love the scenes with the president that was great).i jus hope since nbc is canceling it(i wont hold a grudge)they will give undercovers the proper goodbye with a final.(if nbc dont give undercovers a ending i will be upset and i wont like nbc anymore)

ps:i hate the fact that when ppl hear j.j abrams and spy they think of alias this show was never gone be like alias and i hate how ppl got mad that it was so different ..the shows are not suppose to be the same.the ratings were ok so why cancel it..Cry

Pi

[3]Nov 5, 2010
    • level: 10
    Don't watch this garbage just to see strong black characters shown in a good light. If you'd like I'd be more than happy to recommend a bunch of other serial dramas with quality black characters that are FAR better than this drivel. Really, this show was absolute torture to watch, and this is from a huge Abrams fan and someone that was really looking forward to Undercovers.

I never wanted it to be Alias. I just wanted it to pick between being a serious spy show or a comedy - one or the other. Or even be a quality mix of the two - it can be done - see Burn Notice. But no, it had no direction, and the writing and episode plotting was just awful - perhaps the worst writing I've ever seen from a network serial. And that Leo character was the worst, most annoying character I've EVER seen on ANY show in my entire life.

Unfortunately for those like you that managed to enjoy the show, I guarantee you there won't be a proper ending. At best you can hope for it NOT to end on a HUGE cliffhanger, but don't get your hopes up for them to tie up any of the loose ends. Take it from someone that has had HUNDREDS of their favorite shows canceled - you aren't going to get an ending you're happy with. I'm sorry to break it to you - as someone who knows what it feels like from lots of experience, nothing stinks worse than being left hanging. Even though I hated the show, I'm sorry you enjoyed it and it ended in such a manner......never fun........

haldrey

[4]Nov 5, 2010
    • level: 22
    I do not dislike this show but still the competition is fierce and the show is not living to what it promised. Better shows are cancelled almost daily.

jack756

[6]Nov 5, 2010
    Pi wrote:
    Don't watch this garbage just to see strong black characters shown in a good light. If you'd like I'd be more than happy to recommend a bunch of other serial dramas with quality black characters that are FAR better than this drivel. Really, this show was absolute torture to watch, and this is from a huge Abrams fan and someone that was really looking forward to Undercovers.

I never wanted it to be Alias. I just wanted it to pick between being a serious spy show or a comedy - one or the other. Or even be a quality mix of the two - it can be done - see Burn Notice. But no, it had no direction, and the writing and episode plotting was just awful - perhaps the worst writing I've ever seen from a network serial. And that Leo character was the worst, most annoying character I've EVER seen on ANY show in my entire life.

Unfortunately for those like you that managed to enjoy the show, I guarantee you there won't be a proper ending. At best you can hope for it NOT to end on a HUGE cliffhanger, but don't get your hopes up for them to tie up any of the loose ends. Take it from someone that has had HUNDREDS of their favorite shows canceled - you aren't going to get an ending you're happy with. I'm sorry to break it to you - as someone who knows what it feels like from lots of experience, nothing stinks worse than being left hanging. Even though I hated the show, I'm sorry you enjoyed it and it ended in such a manner......never fun........
    i dont know what u mean theres no tv shows with black people on them(im talking about action or scifi shows)of course there lots of black shows that are dramas and im not into drama b/c they dont niterest me like action or scifi does and for black ppl like me who enjoy action or scifi show u knw how hard it is to find a show with blacks in it and i was happy to see undercovers do it(thats not the only reason i like the show)i think the show had potential but it never figure out what it wanted to do so im not shocked it got cancel nor am i mad ..i jus hope nbc sends it off with respect..but if u know any shows that are action or scifi with blacks in it i would love to hear of them.thanks

haldrey

[7]Nov 11, 2010
    • level: 22
    This weeks 'Crashed' was quite a good episode, I will miss it. I liked the cases and I do not mind a Mr & Mrs James Bond spies couple. The only thing I did mind was the catering service bid, that should have never been part of the formula, it was extremly distracting. If they eliminate the catering business and substitute with more action they have a pretty good show.

ZekkJedi

[8]Nov 12, 2010
    • level: 8

While it's good that a show of jj abrams was dropped; he's been coasting on his success too much, as the problems in this show evidenced.

I'll be sorry to see this go. Each episode was getting better than the last and this could've grown into a great show.

TV is so filled with shows, where the "romance" aspect is capitalizing on the "will they/won't they" sexual tension of a potential couple that it gets really annoying. It's always refreshing to see a show start with leads who are already a couple. StandOff did a much better job of that than Undercovers, but as I said it was getting better.

Fuhgeddabouditt

[9]Nov 15, 2010
    • level: 2

It was on the wrong network to begin with. I could see this doing well on a network like USA, not NBC. Overall the show was great. I never understood the hate it got, really. It was a good 8 o'clock show that had that relax feeling to it. You know, just watch, chill, and enjoy. Also, it was nice for a change to see two black leads on a show that isnt a comedy. At least, I am glad I was introduced to Gugu Mbatha.

Edited on 11/15/2010 9:03am
    Edited 2 total times.

buffyjl

[10]Nov 16, 2010
    • level: 20

Fuhgeddabouditt wrote:

It was on the wrong network to begin with. I could see this doing well on a network like USA, not NBC. Overall the show was great. I never understood the hate it got, really. It was a good 8 o'clock show that had that relax feeling to it. You know, just watch, chill, and enjoy. Also, it was nice for a change to see two black leads on a show that isnt a comedy. At least, I am glad I was introduced to Gugu Mbatha.

Very agree! This hsow is fun and I'm do glad I got introduced to the 2 leads, they're spectacular.

I feel the show needed more mystery, but it was still a great show. I hope NBC picks up more of it later like a summer show.

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[11]Nov 17, 2010
    Pi wrote:

Maybe its just me but all of the things you complained about concerning how bad the show is/was can be said about other spy shows that were hugely successful and stayed on the air for years. Also, I struggle to see why you continued to watch the show after the first couple of episodes if you thought they were so bad.

Alex055

[12]Nov 17, 2010
    • level: 6

It was actually starting to show promise...We were just about to start seeing what the reasons behind the re-hiring of Samantha and Steven really were.

And how strange that episode 9, which was to air today was cancelled...

Edited on 11/17/2010 5:22pm
    Edited 2 total times.

Writerpatrick

[13]Nov 17, 2010
    Episode 9 was pre-empted for a Dateline special. Although we'll have to see if it returns next week, which I suspect it won't. We could still see a summer burn-off. But I have a feeling that we won't be seeing any more episodes.

ott666

[14]Nov 17, 2010

With this show one would really have to suspend the belief of reality. How would the black characters cope in a country such as North Korea? They couldn't. Could these people perform spywork in a Eastbloc country without arousing any suspicion? Not likely. Simply put, there aren't many areas the "spies" could operate freely just as I wouldn't believe asian spies operating freely in Nigeria.

This show has so much implausibility that it really insults one's intelligence to believe anything the characters do. If I want to watch a mindless action spy drama, I would watch Macgruber over and over again. Yes, Macgruber is a comedy.

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[15]Nov 17, 2010
    ott666 wrote:

With this show one would really have to suspend the belief of reality. How would the black characters cope in a country such as North Korea? They couldn't. Could these people perform spywork in a Eastbloc country without arousing any suspicion? Not likely. Simply put, there aren't many areas the "spies" could operate freely just as I wouldn't believe asian spies operating freely in Nigeria.

This show has so much implausibility that it really insults one's intelligence to believe anything the characters do. If I want to watch a mindless action spy drama, I would watch Macgruber over and over again. Yes, Macgruber is a comedy.

Well, you must not have a military background. There are many blacks in Korea. A lot of blacks served in the military and was stationed in Korea. My grandfather fought in the Korean War. Maybe you need to check up on your facts.

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[16]Nov 17, 2010
    Alex055 wrote:

It was actually starting to show promise...We were just about to start seeing what the reasons behind the re-hiring of Samantha and Steven really were.

Agreed. I think that after that episode which was supposed to air today, the show would even got more interesting. It just seems like to me that a lot of people didn't want to give the show a chance and didn't want to like the show for their own personal reasons.

buffyjl

[17]Nov 20, 2010
    • level: 20

MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    Alex055 wrote:

Agreed. I think that after that episode which was supposed to air today, the show would even got more interesting. It just seems like to me that a lot of people didn't want to give the show a chance and didn't want to like the show for their own personal reasons.

Agreed.

ott666

[18]Nov 30, 2010
    MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    It just seems like to me that a lot of people didn't want to give the show a chance and didn't want to like the show for their own personal reasons.

Isn't liking or not liking something based on one's personal reasons? Liking something because what others like are typical traits of mindless idiots.

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[19]Dec 2, 2010
    ott666 wrote:
    MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    It just seems like to me that a lot of people didn't want to give the show a chance and didn't want to like the show for their own personal reasons.

Isn't liking or not liking something based on one's personal reasons? Liking something because what others like are typical traits of mindless idiots.

Wasn't my point and what you have posted doesn't apply to anything I have stated. Simply put, it's like saying I might not like a particular recording artist as a person, however, that doesn't mean that I don't like their music. But for some people, since they don't like that artist as a person, they will not ALLOW themselves to like that particular artist's music regardless of the music's quality.

jack756

[20]Dec 2, 2010
    MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    ott666 wrote:
    MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:

Wasn't my point and what you have posted doesn't apply to anything I have stated. Simply put, it's like saying I might not like a particular recording artist as a person, however, that doesn't mean that I don't like their music. But for some people, since they don't like that artist as a person, they will not ALLOW themselves to like that particular artist's music regardless of the music's quality.
    well said